2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 9 invisible), 1,396 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 23 24
#2061361 04/08/13 04:44 PM
OP Offline
Well here goes nothing. I will make this post knowing the inevitable backlash. As I have been reading these forums for some months now there seems like that there is no question that one can ask without people who have been here for years exclaiming "HEY YOU STUPID NEWBIE USE THE SEARCH FEATURE THAT WAS TALKED ABOUT PLENTY OF TIMES OVER THE YEARS!"

Well, I know this question has been asked plenty of times but many posts are inconclusive and drift off to irrelevant topics. Before I ask these questions some minor background info:

I am a trumpet player that started to play the trumpet since age 8. However, I have decided to pursue my favorite instrument about 5 months ago as I am taking lessons from a former white house pianist so with all this I am not a musical novice. I've played with symphonic orchestras, jazz bands, solos and done accompaniments etc. I have talked to my teacher about this subject from time to time but now I want all piano teachers, judges, accomplished pianists, professionals and whomever feels like they have valuable insights to give their thesis. Specifics are important but without further ado the questions in their simplest form.

What are the most effective ways to obtain virtuoso technique???
What is the most efficient way to improve via practice time?

To get the conversation going: It seems like a common thesis is that "slow play" will solve everything. IS SLOW TO FAST REPETITIONS THE ONLY WAY? Others suggest that exercises like Hanon, drilling scales and arpeggios is the only way while some are very critical of this path saying that an obsession of scales and exercises compromise musicality making the player very mechanical and that the best way to get technique is through building a diverse and vast repertoire. Some people say drill each hand until one is able to play both at the appropriate speed then play hands together at a slower speed. Is it best to always use a metronome when gradually increasing in speed? Does using hands separate waste time? How many hours should one expect this journey take to consider one self a virtuoso? I'm not looking for magical answers just answers with clarity backed by experience.

*Please give specifics and no "all of the above" or "its different for everybody answers*

Hopefully if a lot of good answers come we can have this as a permanent post where the most experienced people have consolidated their knowledge!

"What is genius? To aspire to a lofty aim and to will the means to that aim" -Nietzsche
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
1) Talent
2) Dedication
3) Teacher

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by King Cole
What are the most effective ways to obtain virtuoso technique???

See Joel's reply. grin

What is the most efficient way to improve via practice time?

depends (and I don't mean using urinary pads)

IS SLOW TO FAST REPETITIONS THE ONLY WAY?

No, and depending on exactly what you mean by virtuoso technique (like, if you mean super virtuoso), it isn't necessarily a way. See Joel's reply. smile

Is it best to always use a metronome when gradually increasing in speed?

No, but that's a useful thing.

Does using hands separate waste time?

No, but IMO doing it an awful lot is bad.

How many hours should one expect this journey take to consider one self a virtuoso?

depends (ditto from before) ha

*Please give specifics and no "all of the above" or "its different for everybody answers*

Not possible. smile

BTW I hope that indeed nobody says the obnoxious "Do a search." Thankfully it seems we've almost eradicated that from the site.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
King Cole, I could be mistaken, but didn't you write about pain or tension in your top forearm muscles in another thread?

If that's the case, you'll need to learn how to correctly use your muscles so you play with the least amount of effort.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
Online Content
You cannot control talent so in terms of doing the best with what you have it's irrelevant.

Getting the best teacher for your goals and the amount of work you're willing to put in are the two critical factors.

You didn't mention whether this is classical or non classical piano. Is the experience you mentioned on the trumpet or piano? "White house" pianist meaning? What is your present level on piano, approximate age, and why do you want to get virtuoso technique?

Many think slow practice is important but this also means many different things to different people. I don't think anyone believes slow practice solves everything.

You will probably get as many different answers to some of your questions as you get replies. The range of knowledge of people responding will be very great. Most of the issues you raised are not black or white. That is why the teacher you select is absolutely critical.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 04/08/13 05:45 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
You cannot control talent so in terms of doing the best with what you have it's irrelevant.

Yeah, you also can't control being a mathematical genius either.

OP didn't ask about doing the best with what you have. His post specifically deals with virtuosity. To become a virtuoso, one must be born with the necessary talent. Without this talent, no matter how dedicated, it is impossible to achieve such status.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
I think there might be some discrepancies in the way people are thinking of the word "virtuosity". Surely "virtuoso" means more than someone with technical ability, which might be what is implied by the OP's "virtuosity". Don't know whether that made any sense. grin

Regards,

Polyphonist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
I think there might be some discrepancies in the way people are thinking of the word "virtuosity". Surely "virtuoso" means more than someone with technical ability, which might be what is implied by the OP's "virtuosity". Don't know whether that made any sense. grin

As in musical virtuosity?

Online Content
Originally Posted by JoelW

OP didn't ask about doing the best with what you have. His post specifically deals with virtuosity. To become a virtuoso, one must be born with the necessary talent. Without this talent, no matter how dedicated, it is impossible to achieve such status.
The OP didn't have to specifically say he meant about doing the best with what you have because this self evident from his post. He wants to get virtuoso technique and wants to know the best way for him to do this. He can't do anything about his talent so it's irrelevant in terms of what he can do.

If he had asked about his chances of succeeding in gaining a virtuoso technique many, including me, would say that talent is very important.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P

Well, it seems more like technical virtuosity from the context of the thread. smile

Regards,

Polyphonist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

The OP didn't have to specifically say he meant about doing the best with what you have because this self evident from his post. He wants to get virtuoso technique and wants to know the best way for him to do this. He can't do anything about his talent so it's irrelevant in terms of what he can do.

If he had asked about his chances of succeeding in gaining a virtuoso technique many, including me, would say that talent is very important.

I see. It seems you and I both would agree that the problem lies in the way the OP is asking this question. He should be asking "What is the best way to maximize my abilities?" instead of "How do I become a virtuoso?" because the second question assumes that he does in fact have the necessary talent.

Last edited by JoelW; 04/08/13 07:35 PM.
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P

I agree.

He had better hope he has the talent for it, shouldn't he?

In fact, I think this thread is a little silly. When you combine Pianoloverus's point with mine, it makes sense that OP should be asking "What is the best way to maximize my abilities?" instead of "How do I become a virtuoso?" because the second question assumes that he does in fact have the necessary talent.

Seems logical. This thread seems to be going nowhere anyway, so it will probably be locked soon enough by some mod or other...

Regards,

Polyphonist
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Squirrel

OP Offline
You guys always do this. Talent is a term that has a problematic definition so we won't deal with that. Let's just assume he or she has a non-remarkable amount of talent. So the question is:

What is the best way to maximize one's piano abilities?!?

(Thank you JoelW)

Last edited by King Cole; 04/08/13 08:06 PM.

"What is genius? To aspire to a lofty aim and to will the means to that aim" -Nietzsche
Online Content

Well, it seems more like technical virtuosity from the context of the thread. smile
Virtuosity is almost exclusively used in relation to technique. The title of the thread and the OP's first post also made it clear how he was using this word.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 04/08/13 08:27 PM.
T
T
According to Anders Ericsson: 10,000 hours of deliberate practice (plus genetic factors).

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

[Linked Image]

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Damon
Squirrel

Huh? What do rodents have to do with piano technique?

Regards,

Polyphonist
L
L
Talent is a term that has a problematic definition so we won't deal with that.

Originally Posted by Damon
Squirrel

grin ha

~ Heather smile

Knabe WMV247
“When you play, never mind who listens to you.” ― Robert Schumann
“The piano ain't got no wrong notes.” ― Thelonious Monk
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 23 24

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission