2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by jotur
You know, smokey, drinks, people talking while you play, dancing, making out - talk about less formal!

Perhaps if someone submitted some Barry White you could erase that strike-through smokin

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn

Have you seen "Les Mis"? - are you familiar with the marvelous music that runs thru it continuously from beginning to end?

Yes I have seen it - I saw it on Broadway circa 1990!
I was visiting the Big Apple, from my hometown in Ottawa, in the company of 2 bus loads of Girl Guide leaders! Wonderful show, wonderful weekend.

I have seen clips of the recent film production and am very much looking forward to seeing it as well.

In the meantime....your music will tide me over smile

edited to add: btw.... my pronunciation clip has had more hits than my second submission to the April Piano Bar...how weird is that? crazy

Last edited by casinitaly; 04/16/13 05:31 PM.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly

I have seen clips of the recent film production and am very much looking forward to seeing it as well.

edited to add: btw.... my pronunciation clip has had more hits than my second submission to the April Piano Bar...how weird is that? crazy

I was very disappointed with the movie - the singing was mediocre at best and terrible at worst - the music is powerful and demands great skill - see another live show if you can, where the cast is chosen based on sheer, unadulterated talent and not "star power"...

I'm not surprised at the popularity of your clip - it is pretty sexy - word must be spreading... smile

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member

I was very disappointed with the movie - the singing was mediocre at best and terrible at worst - the music is powerful and demands great skill - see another live show if you can, where the cast is chosen based on sheer, unadulterated talent and not "star power"...

I'm not surprised at the popularity of your clip - it is pretty sexy - word must be spreading... smile

Well...I'm still curious about the film, but my enthusiasm is moderated smile

As for the recording...lol.... I'd make one for
Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune de Claude Debussy...but this is a family-rated forum wink

[Linked Image]

A
A
But it's the -adult- beginners forum, right?

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
I plan to play a very famous piece of a Norwegian composer (not Grieg) this time. However, I don't want to tell you which piece before I have submitted the recording. It is technically very demanding, and there is a possibility that I'll be unable to make a good enough recording of it. Of course I have some backups if that turns out to be the case.

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by Ganddalf
I plan to play a very famous piece of a Norwegian composer (not Grieg) this time. However, I don't want to tell you which piece before I have submitted the recording. It is technically very demanding, and there is a possibility that I'll be unable to make a good enough recording of it. Of course I have some backups if that turns out to be the case.
You teased us with this before, Ganddalf. I'm going to stick my neck out and guess it's Sinding or Kjerulf.

I mentioned at that time that I'm working on a piece by an Austrian composer but not Haydn. It's technically easy but interpretively demanding. Recording is being hampered (though I'm still quietly confident) by having to concentrate on the Mendelssohn and, as luck would have it, the Grieg Notturno (from the last recital) and the Liszt Consolation are being heavily revised. Nobody complained about my Chopin Nocturne but I may resubmit that as well in light of what I've learned from these last two pieces.

I'm tempted to follow Trapper's opening shot and say that I'm putting the finishing touches on an emotionally wrenching but hauntingly beautiful piece...

Richard
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by zrtf90
You teased us with this before, Ganddalf. I'm going to stick my neck out and guess it's Sinding or Kjerulf.

Maybe you're right, time will show. I also have strong reason to believe that you plan to play Mozart. smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Darned red dot. I had a perfect run through, made it through the sticky arpeggios at the end, was feeling like really hot stuff, and blew the very - last - chord. Argh!

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
I also have strong reason to believe that you plan to play Mozart.
Yes, I decided to shelve the Schubert. I'm dishing up the D minor Fantasy, K. 397. smile It hasn't been in the recitals since 2007! Time for a repeat, methinks.

Richard
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by zrtf90
I also have strong reason to believe that you plan to play Mozart.
Yes, I decided to shelve the Schubert. I'm dishing up the D minor Fantasy, K. 397. smile It hasn't been in the recitals since 2007! Time for a repeat, methinks.

Look forward to that. By he way I have also thought about playing Schubert at one of these recitals,but that will be later. He has some nice sonata movements....

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yes, Cas's voice is beautiful and honey-smooth. But on top of that, anything spoken in French sounds sexy, doesn't it?

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
Originally Posted by Valencia
I'm not sure I will have a piece ready for this recital. Wanted to submit Adieu! by Carl Filtsch but the Mendelssohn recital took so much of my practice time I don't think I can have this ready in a month. Maybe it will have to wait for August.

Why not submit the Mendelssohn? Many folks won't have had a chance to listen to that recital but will be listening to the ABF one.

Hi Andy, This is a good idea. Maybe I will do this. However reading over this thread I am reminded how these quarterly recitals are more formal and of the calibre of recordings everyone submits. Pretty intimidating! Maybe I'll just listen in and enjoy other peoples' contributions for this one.....

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MaryBee
..... anything spoken in French sounds sexy, doesn't it?

That made me think of the film "A Fish Called Wanda", where Kevin Kline speaks the most outrageous nonsense in Italian, and Jamie Lee Curtis just melts! (at the end of the film it is John Cleese speaking (what I presume is also a mish mash) Russian, to the same effect!

But yes, I agree, French is the most delicious language ever. My favourite word is grapefruit "pamplemousse".

[Linked Image]

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MaryBee
..... anything spoken in French sounds sexy, doesn't it?

That made me think of the film "A Fish Called Wanda", where Kevin Kline speaks the most outrageous nonsense in Italian, and Jamie Lee Curtis just melts! (at the end of the film it is John Cleese speaking (what I presume is also a mish mash) Russian, to the same effect!

But yes, I agree, French is the most delicious language ever. My favourite word is grapefruit "pamplemousse".

I have a fresh pamplemousse to start my breakfast just about every morning - a pamplemousse rouge, that is...

I've always thought that Italian was the sexiest and most lyrical and romantic language - hence it's use as the language of opera (in addition to the historical connection).

I'm currently working my way through (deliciously!) "Lidia's Italy in America", the latest cookbook of Lidia Matticchio Bastianich, the very popular host of several PBS cooking shows (and restauranteur) and have wished that she had included a glossary and pronunciation guide for the frequent Italian terms she uses - but I fake it and my wife is almost impressed, referring to me as "Mr. Lidia" smile

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Now don't get your hopes up PW members, but I recorded a little piece for the upcoming recital. When I had uploaded it to my computer and converted to MP3 then it was ready for my wife to listen. She hasn't really heard me play since I got my piano as I stuck in a little back room with the headphones on.
Her first words were "that's not you, never, no it couldn't be"

Not the sort of constructive critism I was looking for

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
I did a test recording and found so many problems. Then I went back and listened to previous submssions of this Nocturne and realized, of course, that not one was without issues. So mine may not be perfect but at least I have a few things I can focus on fixing between now and May 1st 14th!

Kawai K3
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
I've never tried it, but I'm assuming that it's possible to insert a webpage link (such as to YouTube) into the "Additional Comments" section of one's Recital submission - can anyone verify this?

If you just put a straight http://blah.blah in there it should go through but you would have to copy / paste. I guess a UBB link would work directly so long as there isn't any attempt to strip that from the uploaded form.

OK - I understand a straight copy/paste, but what's a UBB link?

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
I've never tried it, but I'm assuming that it's possible to insert a webpage link (such as to YouTube) into the "Additional Comments" section of one's Recital submission - can anyone verify this?

If you just put a straight http://blah.blah in there it should go through but you would have to copy / paste. I guess a UBB link would work directly so long as there isn't any attempt to strip that from the uploaded form.

OK - I understand a straight copy/paste, but what's a UBB link?

It's the tags that you add for links to work here, like:
Code
[url=http://google.com]Google[/url]

Kawai K3
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

So, I finally heard the clip -- to see what the fuss was all about. Holy Moly... that should be flagged as "NSFW".

Originally Posted by jotur
You know, smokey, drinks, people talking while you play, dancing, making out - talk about less formal!

Perhaps if someone submitted some Barry White you could erase that strike-through smokin

Or just have Cheryl say something random in French...

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission