Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
91 registered (anotherscott, 36251, anamnesis, A Guy, ALEXANDER DYKER, 33 invisible), 1277 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2066094 - 04/17/13 04:22 PM Are you worthy of your piano?
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Simple question, simple answer.

I have 2 pianos, a digital and a nice acoustic grand.

The digital I play all the time. I can easily discover new melodies and learn them easier and faster on the digital because the digital is just SO much easier to play. In addition, I can actually learn to play better on the digital because of the use of a pair of quality headphones.

The headphones allow me to hear very subtle variations in the sound being produced that the acoustical surroundings of my acoustic piano will not allow. In addition, I can (and often do) play very late at night which allows me much more practice time than if I only played the acoustic during normal hours due to all kinds of obvious reasons.

Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE my big acoustic grand and play it when I want to really 'perform' something because the sound it can produce is incredible. However, I must admit that the vast majority of the time is spent playing and learning on the digital with significantly less time 'performing' on the acoustic grand.

So, the bottom line is YES, I am worthy of my Roland digital piano. Every penny I paid for it and then some. But I'm not sure if I am 'worthy' or if the cost of a big, expensive grand is 'worth it' for just an amateur hack noodling around at night.

I have absolutely no buyers remorse purchasing my digital for the reasons explained but many times I look over at the expensive acoustic grand and I start to wonder if that money couldn't have been better spent or invested. Especially when I think how much it costs to move and keep it professionally tuned.

I play every day so I'm happy, but I also feel guilty at the same time.

How about you. Are you worthy of the piano you are playing? Is it worth it to you? Do you deserve a better piano than what you are playing on? or do you feel a little guilty sometimes that you have an incredible piano that you hardly play?

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2066100 - 04/17/13 04:42 PM Re: Are you worthy of your piano? [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Interesting question. I think if I had the gorgeous acoustic that you have, yes, I would question if I was "worthy" of it.

Even when I got my little Yamaha P112 upright I suffered qualms of "oh my, I've only been playing 10 months, how can I possibly DESERVE a real piano?"

I decided that to merit it, what I had to do was to play it. A lot, every day, to the best of my ability.

My piano was a gift (both my dp and my acoustic were gifts). I still say thank you to my husband -- it has turned out to be something we both enjoy very much - albeit from different perspectives.

So to answer your question...I DID feel a bit "unworthy" at first, but now I don't - and even if I had a better piano, I don't think I'd let myself get into that mode of thinking again.

#2066119 - 04/17/13 05:12 PM Re: Are you worthy of your piano? [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
I think my old (1937) mediocre but servicable Kurtzmann small grand and I are pretty well matched. If I had anything better, I'd be in the uncomfortable position of that Oscar Wilde character who was daunted by the necessity of living up to his teapot. Anything worse, and I couldn't bear to practice.

#2066121 - 04/17/13 05:15 PM Re: Are you worthy of your piano? [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

To be honest, Mr. Super Hunky, you probably aren't worthy of your acoustic grand and you should pay a piano mover to ship it to me. I promise to give it a loving home.

#2066122 - 04/17/13 05:16 PM Re: Are you worthy of your piano? [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Good question which I can't answer yet. I researched intently for a beginner dp and got my Yamaha P105 because it was the cheapest 88 key fully weighted dp with reasonable sound available. Even then I discussed why I was spending so much money to my wife. Of course there was the possibility I might not enjoy learning and give up, but that's not going to happen, I am hooked.
I will in a few years require a better instrument, so will question my worthiness then. However we can be funny creatures there, we can take a $5,000 two week holiday because we worked hard and "we deserve it", yet can stifle ourselves when buying an instrument that will give us a lifetime of enjoyment.

#2066127 - 04/17/13 05:20 PM Re: Are you worthy of your piano? [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
While I believe I live up to my teapot (great reference!), few things irk me more than someone with so much bloody money they spent $100k-plus on an instrument they have no idea how to play, have no intentions of learning how to play, and spend very little time enjoying. If you intend to learn, or are actively learning, then hey, buy the best thing you can afford and don't look back. Otherwise, you could have gotten a chair for much less.. wink

#2066131 - 04/17/13 05:22 PM Re: Are you worthy of your piano? [Re: Whizbang]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: Whizbang
To be honest, Mr. Super Hunky, you probably aren't worthy of your acoustic grand and you should pay a piano mover to ship it to me. I promise to give it a loving home.

I wish I'd thought of that!
Mind you, I don't think his piano would fit in my apartment! smile

#2066145 - 04/17/13 05:48 PM Re: Are you worthy of your piano? [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Toastie Offline

Loc: UK
I think of my piano as being kind of like a husband. My U3 is just totally comfortable and right. My piano and I are greatly in love with each other and spend lots of our free time together. At first I was rather over awed by it and the fact I owned it. Now it's just more like a familiar friend or relative whom I adore.

It is a thing of beauty, but not so much so that I find it intimidating. It's a very approachable piano and everyone it meets falls in love. I really need to stop personifying it so much though!!
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3

#2066160 - 04/17/13 06:13 PM Re: Are you worthy of your piano? [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
Interesting question.

Mr Super-Hunky, I have read your post, here:

I have 2 pianos, a digital and a nice acoustic grand.

The digital I play all the time. I can easily discover new melodies and learn them easier and faster on the digital because the digital is just SO much easier to play. In addition, I can actually learn to play better on the digital because of the use of a pair of quality headphones.

The headphones allow me to hear very subtle variations in the sound being produced that the acoustical surroundings of my acoustic piano will not allow. In addition, I can (and often do) play very late at night which allows me much more practice time than if I only played the acoustic during normal hours due to all kinds of obvious reasons.

Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE my big acoustic grand and play it when I want to really 'perform' something because the sound it can produce is incredible. However, I must admit that the vast majority of the time is spent playing and learning on the digital with significantly less time 'performing' on the acoustic grand.

So, the bottom line is YES, I am worthy of my Roland digital piano. Every penny I paid for it and then some. But I'm not sure if I am 'worthy' or if the cost of a big, expensive grand is 'worth it' for just an amateur hack noodling around at night.

I have absolutely no buyers remorse purchasing my digital for the reasons explained but many times I look over at the expensive acoustic grand and I start to wonder if that money couldn't have been better spent or invested. Especially when I think how much it costs to move and keep it professionally tuned.

How about you. Are you worthy of the piano you are playing? Is it worth it to you? Do you deserve a better piano than what you are playing on? or do you feel a little guilty sometimes that you have an incredible piano that you hardly play?

I have a great 20 year old Clavinova that a year ago I dusted off 20 years of dust and started playing from book one of learning to play the piano. What you should know is that I had almost died say the doctors and friends but at the last minute I had a turn around and survived but was quite weak sitting and standing. So I thought if I sat at the piano and tried to play, it might distract me and enable me to sit longer. Well, in the process of learning the piano, I fell in love with playing the piano. But I felt I was missing someting from not having an acoustic and sought to find one. I got a chance for a second hand 3 legged 5 foot piano. I said no, because it was over my budget. I left the store and walked about a block and thought, "I almost died, and when you die, you can't take anything with you, so you have to give it all away - and that is cool. So I said to myself, why don't you (me) take a little money your mother left you and get the piano. Would I feel bad if I only got to play it for a day or two and died - and the answer was clear no, so I ran back to the store and bought the piano. The piano takes up half my livingroom, so I had to throw out the couch to make room for the piano in my tiny shack. For me, the acoustic piano is so awesome. It took me several months to adjust to the touch of the acoustic piano. I didn't think I would find a second hand piano played by a child that easily. I am 64, so that situation doesn't always happen that easily. No regrets, just love of the beast!

The digital weighted keys Keyboard I bought for 600 dollars because I was too weak to sit at the piano and I wanted to play very badly everyday, so the digital keyboard I put on my livingroom floor on concrete blocks, slid underneath the piano and played on my back for about 6 months using clothes pegs to hold the music and tilted the piano/keyboard at the right angle to play it.

So both the digital and the acoustic are great but different. The digital keyboard yam p95 has all these things like recording and other stuff, but I am only interested in pure piano and not the digital stuff except that it is 45 pounds and can be carried to a hospital or wherever.

I play both but mostly the digital late at night so that people walking by don't hear me playing and know the shack has a piano in it, criminals, you know. Not that they could easily carry it away but they might think I have something of value and I don't.

#2066164 - 04/17/13 06:17 PM Re: Are you worthy of your piano? [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: SoCal
I have a bottom of the heap Kohler and Campbell baby grand. Some days it is not worthy of me. Some days, I am not worthy of it. Generally, though, we have a good time together.

If I was smart, I'd just get a nice upright, but piano and rationality don't seem to be related much.

#2066175 - 04/17/13 06:46 PM Re: Are you worthy of your piano? [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
I didn't think that I could justify spending big bucks on a new grand, or even not-so-big bucks on a used grand. So I rescued an old grand that was a basket case and rebuilt it. I have a few thousand dollars invested in it, and it's very much a working piano. Not an option for everyone, but the rebuilding gave me a lot of pleasure as well as the fun I have playing it now. I really love my 1927 Bechstein Model L.

Sam

#2066176 - 04/17/13 06:47 PM Re: Are you worthy of your piano? [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
PaperClip Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Amsterdam, Holland
Right now I play a DP and I'm happy with it. When my play gets better, I think I deserve a better piano. It should be in balance. No need for an expensive piano when I only play beginner pieces.

It always reminds me of a industrial designer who had the honour to design a special anniversary steinway grand. In a interview after he designed the grand, he said he felt the biggest sorrow for not having learnt to play.

So my piano needs to meet up my skills.

Playing since May 02 2009

#2066182 - 04/17/13 07:03 PM Re: Are you worthy of your piano? [Re: Sam S]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Originally Posted By: Sam S
I didn't think that I could justify spending big bucks on a new grand, or even not-so-big bucks on a used grand. So I rescued an old grand that was a basket case and rebuilt it. I have a few thousand dollars invested in it, and it's very much a working piano. Not an option for everyone, but the rebuilding gave me a lot of pleasure as well as the fun I have playing it now. I really love my 1927 Bechstein Model L.

Sam

Sam, I'm going to be honest and say that I wish I had a story like yours to put behind my big Mason.

I love everything about the quality and sound it can produce but I'm the type of person who would rather buy a used lawn mower for $35 bucks and fix it up to better than new condition for much less. It is your personal time and effort that makes it so special.

I just happen to be at the right place and circumstances at the time of purchase that it would be stupid not to make the purchase. Basically one of those very rare 'buy lower than dealer cost' situations that actually was true. Recession!

Also, maybe I'm weird on this but it is not any specific sound signature that appeals to me but rather just the melody itself. A beautifully haunting melody sounds just as nice to me whether it be performed on a Yamaha or a Steinway. Whatever, I don't really care as long as the melody appeals to me. [Of course nobody likes a tune playing on anything that sounds crappy.]

I got a great deal on a brand new piano but it lacks any substance behind it. I wish I had a story like yours to back it up but I don't.

Edited by Mr Super-Hunky (04/17/13 08:26 PM)

#2066191 - 04/17/13 07:21 PM Re: Are you worthy of your piano? [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Am I worthy of my piano? Heck no.

Am I grateful every day that I have the opportunity to butcher beautiful music on it? Heck yes.

smokin

#2066192 - 04/17/13 07:21 PM Re: Are you worthy of your piano? [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
JohnSprung Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Reseda, California
Your piano should be better than you are. You get better with practice, it doesn't. So, what you should have is a piano that won't be limiting you for at least a few years. Repetition is one of the more important criteria. Your piano should easily be able to go faster than you can.

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

#2066200 - 04/17/13 07:35 PM Re: Are you worthy of your piano? [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Bob Newbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Mr SH: When I was a young man I took up guitar, on a cheap 30 dollar instrument,
and I dreamed that owning an expensive Gibson L5..it didn't happen, but my playing
improved without it, I ended up with a Epiphone Emperor Regent...but I became
"one with the guitar" ...my hope is one day I'll become "one with the piano"
and get an acoustic grand, but for now I'll use my Yamaha P60 smile

#2066206 - 04/17/13 07:48 PM Re: Are you worthy of your piano? [Re: Bob Newbie]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: Bob Newbie
Mr SH: When I was a young man I took up guitar, on a cheap 30 dollar instrument,
and I dreamed that owning an expensive Gibson L5..it didn't happen, but my playing
improved without it,

I had a similar story Bob Newbie, bought a cheapo acoustic at age 14 and now have two beautiful custom made acoustics. But my playing improved each time I got a better guitar. I am wondering if piano players find they improve in leaps when they graduate to a better instrument.

#2066207 - 04/17/13 07:50 PM Re: Are you worthy of your piano? [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Interesting thinking, MrSH.

Originally Posted By: Mr Super-Hunky
Simple question, simple answer.

Even being a beginner. I'm not below my IvoryII. I could improve on it. I don't want to play that audiophile game again. Maybe someday. It does vastly improve upon the performance of my Midi controller. Versus using the onboard sound. Wanting a better keyboard. Better computer, better sound box.
I'm also in an apartment. Nice roomy large apartment. But an apartment. An acoustic is out of the question for me now.
Yet...
With my experience as an audiophile. Live is always better. When it doesn't include PA systems, etc.
You ever notice that anything real these days is expensive?
You can't get quality without paying for it.
Even then, realize. It is decomposing right before your eyes. It isn't permanent. Can't be. Only what you do on it with your heart can be permanent.

My brother tells me about his co-workers. They all had four wheelers, jet skis, all kinds of toys. They wasted lots of money. Not to mention Harleys. Doh! Now they're getting too old for those things. They can't enjoy them. So now they throw money into their 4 wheel drive diesel pickups. They've never learned.

What is the point to learn? What do you get out of what you spent money on? Is it something more than amusing and entertaining yourself? Is it more than just possessing more to fulfill wanting?

People get the most out of music when it comes from themselves. Doesn't have to be good. When the heart expresses itself. That is what is most important. You don't have to worry about your ego. To be worthy of that grand. You just need to enjoy it. How the keys play, how it expresses sound. Electronics can't quite duplicate it. No matter how good the electronics get. They are generic. That grand is natural.

If I could afford it. I would get a grand in a heart beat. I need to buy a house first. smile

#2066214 - 04/17/13 08:29 PM Re: Are you worthy of your piano? [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
BB Player Offline

Loc: Not in Texas
I'm in the same position as Mr. S-H in that I've got a nice digital piano and a much nicer grand. I also play the digital more than the grand mostly because I'm awake at night a lot and it gives me an opportunity to use the "white hours" in the middle of the night for something useful.

I doubt my playing will ever get to the point where I'm "worthy" of my grand but it is something to aspire to and I enjoy playing it nonetheless. From a return on investment point of view though the digital definitely wins in my case.

#2066233 - 04/17/13 09:52 PM Re: Are you worthy of your piano? [Re: BB Player]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
I have a rebuilt 1918 Mason & Hamlin BB. I read Larry Fine's book on how to buy a used Piano from cover to cover many times before I went looking for a grand piano. Very little was availble near me. And when I found this one piano within driving distance, I thought I should go look at it to practice going over an instrument. The surprise of my life was to find this M & H was the piano of my dreams. It's definitely better than I am. But am I worth it? You bet!! I know what I have and I appreciate it. I'm in love with this piano. It has an incredible sound and is so responsive to anything I try and do on it. My piano tuner says it's a concert quality instrument. I know it is making me into a better pianist than I would be without it. I am very lucky to have found it.

Edited by dynamobt (04/17/13 10:15 PM)

#2066241 - 04/17/13 10:10 PM Re: Are you worthy of your piano? [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
IreneAdler Offline

Loc: Washington
I have a Schimmel, and yes when I first played the piano at the salesroom, I hardly had enough strength in my hands to play it properly. This feeling continued for somemonths after it arrived at my home, I felt unworthy of such a piano. Now not so much, as everytime I practice I think improve on my technique, and this piano allows me such expression. It is a kind piano it sounds lovely even when I play a wrong note. This does not the case with my teacher's piano, I am only now getting a fraction of the sound he achieves when he plays something. I swear that piano does not respect me, somehow it knows that I am at the begining of my musical education, but my playing on it is improving albeit at a snail's pace.

#2066287 - 04/17/13 11:43 PM Re: Are you worthy of your piano? [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Do I like my piano? Yes. Am I worthy of it? Yes. Is it worthy of me? Yes.

I have a relatively new Steinway B. It's a great instrument and I'm lucky to possess it.

Polyphonist

#2066304 - 04/18/13 12:16 AM Re: Are you worthy of your piano? [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
ElleC Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
the only people who aren't worthy are those that treat it as a piece of furniture. If a piano is cared for and played (regardless of the level of proficiency) that person is worthy of that piano. That said, yes...I'm definitely worthy of mine. Do I deserve better? I'm perfectly happy with what I have. My u1 is something good enough to grow old with.

#2066320 - 04/18/13 01:18 AM Re: Are you worthy of your piano? [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bulgaria
My piano and all the pianos I have access to are beginning to not be good enough for the pieces that I am learning. They cannot produce the required sound, faster passages are a nightmare because of unevenly weighted keys in the same octave. They sound bad and so on. I don't know how much longer I can take it. I had to wake up and go to the music academy at 7 in the morning so I can have 3 hours on a semi-good piano. The grand pianos are off-limits to students most of the time and there are only 2-3 good uprights which are taken all the time.

It's an excuse I know and my teacher thinks it's not a valid one but it's not very motivating to play on a crappy instrument every day.

I think that every one of us is worthy of a beautiful perfectly functional and good sounding instrument to develop our art on.

Edited by Teodor (04/18/13 01:20 AM)

Recitals:

#2066350 - 04/18/13 02:58 AM Re: Are you worthy of your piano? [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Sam Rose Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I suppose it depends on how you define "worthy." If to be worthy, you have to be able to push a piano to its limits, then I'm certainly unworthy of my Yamaha C3. But if to be worthy you only need to appreciate what the piano can do and take advantage of that as best you can, then I think most of us are worthy of our pianos. All except those who buy pianos to use as picture frame stands. And those people aren't on this forum anyhow.
Chopin Ballade no 1 in G minor Op.23
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $

#2066362 - 04/18/13 03:48 AM Re: Are you worthy of your piano? [Re: Sam Rose]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
I have had to answer this question twice in the last few years. I returned to piano after 30+ hiatus and purchased a M&H BB after abut 6 months. Was my playing worthy of it? No, but I practiced 3 hours a day because I just loved that piano. As a result my playing improved. When we move to Switzerland I had to sell it. After a couple of years here, I decided that I really needed an acoustic, so I bought a small Bechstein grand. I play the digital for deep practicing and technique work, and the acoustic for everything else. It is the reward for working hard. Am I worthy of my Bechstein? I am striving to be. And I believe it is improving my playing much more than the digital ever could.

Working on ABRSM Grade 6
European Piano Party July 4, 2015 in Switzerland!

#2066366 - 04/18/13 04:09 AM Re: Are you worthy of your piano? [Re: Teodor]
Marco M Offline

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: Teodor
(...) It's an excuse I know and my teacher thinks it's not a valid one but it's not very motivating to play on a crappy instrument every day. (...)

Originally Posted By: SwissMS
(...) As a result my playing improved. (...)

Exactly this. I will never be a concert player, but I deserve to not feel limited by my instrument in the very few free moments I am allowed to spend time on it. Note that I am not saying 'be limited', but am saying 'feel limited'.
It is hard enough to every day struggle with my own shortcomes, so why to add any burden to this from worries about my instrument´s quality? As long as my instrument quality is way ahead of my playing quality, I am sufficiently aware about any upcoming false excuses about what (or who) causes the humble sound of my music - and this pushes me to concentrate harder on what actually I am doing, and subsequently the quality of my playing becomes pushed another step closer to satisfactory. Playing as a beginner on a really nice instrument lets me sound better, not only because of the instrument´s better sound.
Having a superb instrument is not only motivation, but truely contributes to the joy I am reaching out for.
before playing Drums in adults bluesband on handpicked set; before crashing E-Guitar in kids garage band; raised on home entertainment Organ and Keyboard models Eminent Solina P240, Farfisa Maharani 259R, Technics KN800, and on Mouth Organ, Recorder and Accordion

#2066394 - 04/18/13 07:11 AM Re: Are you worthy of your piano? [Re: earlofmar]
jdw Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Originally Posted By: earlofmar
However we can be funny creatures there, we can take a $5,000 two week holiday because we worked hard and "we deserve it", yet can stifle ourselves when buying an instrument that will give us a lifetime of enjoyment.

This is a good point. And this:

Originally Posted By: JohnSprung
Your piano should be better than you are. You get better with practice, it doesn't. So, what you should have is a piano that won't be limiting you for at least a few years. Repetition is one of the more important criteria. Your piano should easily be able to go faster than you can.

I feel very lucky to have a grand piano, but I don't question whether I'm worthy of it. I know it has room for me to grow into. My husband is more of a beginner, and he too benefits from having a quality instrument.

It occupies a pretty large proportion of our living room. But we were able to keep the couch. smile
Mozart, K 330
Brahms, Op. 118 no. 2

#2066406 - 04/18/13 07:34 AM Re: Are you worthy of your piano? [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
If you only played your grand for the ABF recitals it would still be worth it ... to me anyway wink

I regret having to get rid of my digital. Not my decision. Days I've regretted, or even thought about regretting, my K3: Zero. I may be wrong but I seriously doubt I could ever regret buying a grand ... if I ever got to the position where I could get my wife to allow it!!

Kawai K3

#2066415 - 04/18/13 07:55 AM Re: Are you worthy of your piano? [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Well, Mr SH, my sister wrote her name on the family piano (a new upright) just as soon as she could write her name. But never played it . . . I look at my piano. There`s so much stuff on it I will never use. Some of it I have. The playing action`s not brill. But it isn`t for me on anything, so the fault lies with me . . .but it only cost £300 so it owes me nothing. I always thought, in ther old days, you should never spend more on a car than on your piano/organ whatever . . . So get yersel a NEW one!

""

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A new clip of Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
12/17/14 11:03 PM
Learn a Song in 7 minutes: Carol of the Bells
by Hugh Sung
12/17/14 10:11 PM
December 2014 Holiday Piano Bar
by piano_primo_1
12/17/14 06:14 PM
The Language of Taste - Pianos, Wine ... and Birds
by PNO40
12/17/14 05:16 PM
Good Practice Amp for Roland FP7F?
by TheloniousPunk
12/17/14 04:24 PM
Forum Stats
77333 Members
42 Forums
159946 Topics
2348986 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission