2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Colin Miles, bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 10 invisible), 1,924 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
JFP #2063036 04/11/13 05:23 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JFP
Originally Posted by Stevesie
Is it just me, or does that thing sound like a real piano?

Is it just me, or don't these raw YouTube event floor videos give any good impression at all about how the piano sounds ?! Can't judge anything about the sound in these vids other than that it sort of sounds like a piano, like any other DP or synth can sound like a piano.

Is it just me or did someone not actually
watch & listen to the DP demo - they "killed"
the handheld mic and took direct audio into
the camera... it sounds just fine.

D
D
Here's some info on the Artis in response to questions/speculation..

The new Artis 6 strike sample was recorded within the last 2 years in a top notch studio. We auditioned several pianos and chose the one that we thought would be most versatile. We spent a good amount of time processing it with our proprietary software tools. Just within the past week or so, we have started voicing (programming) with these samples. What's being played at Messe are just preliminary programs.

It is definitely not the same piano that we had sampled for our older instruments. Once y'all get to listen to a better recording on good speakers or with good cans, you'll clearly be able to hear the difference. Apart from the recording itself being a bit higher quality, with larger samples and more roots, you'll easily be able to notice that the two pianos just sound quite *different* from one another.

Also, we are definitely not working with Synthogy or sharing samples with them. They're a great company and make killer products... all of us at Kurz are fans.

For more updates on the Artis, pop over to the Keyboard Corner forum, where I'll be posting/reading a bit more frequently.

As always, if anyone has a pressing Kurz-related issue, feel free to shoot me an email. dave@ycrdi.com

Dave Weiser
Kurzweil R&D

D
D
Forgot to add.... we will of course be releasing high quality audio demos of the Artis as we get closer to its release date. Release is on track for July, which means it will hit stores by September.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Thanks for posting Dave!

Best of luck with the new board!

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Clayman
As for the other sounds, well... I guess I'd have to be a sucker for Kurzweil to get a kick out of those. Didn't like them unfortunately.

Heh. In no way do those two random 'legacy sounds' reflect what a Kurz can do or sound like. I don't know why the presenter chose those - I would have loved to hear him play something on the rich orchestral patches.

Last edited by LesCharles73; 04/12/13 12:15 AM.

Les C Deal

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Dave Weiser
The new Artis 6 strike sample was recorded within the last 2 years in a top notch studio. We auditioned several pianos and chose the one that we thought would be most versatile. We spent a good amount of time processing it with our proprietary software tools. Just within the past week or so, we have started voicing (programming) with these samples.

Interesting. I'm wrong. But it still sounds like Kurzweil.

The demo guy says - "recording and sampling and engineering it for years" which is a bit of an exaggeration!

Six dynamic layers though - not too shabby for a hardware product.

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
"The new Artis 6 strike sample was recorded within the last 2 years in a top notch studio. We auditioned several pianos and chose the one that we thought would be most versatile. We spent a good amount of time processing it with our proprietary software tools."

So we chose the one....that we used the first time for the triple strike samples , haha ;-) That would explain what EssBrace is hearing. Or it's the "proprietary software tools" that give it the typical Kurzweil mid kind of piano-touch...

Just kidding of course; I assume it is indeed a brand new (other) piano and hope the tools don't give any piano-sample the typical three-strike sound finish.

Let's be patient and wait for the better demo's of the more final AP sounds. September is still a looooong way off.

M
M
Forgot to add.... we will of course be releasing high quality audio demos of the Artis as we get closer to its release date. Release is on track for July, which means it will hit stores by September.

So that's for Summer NAMM,
Means don't hope for the K-successor frown

C
C
Originally Posted by LesCharles73

Heh. In no way do those two random 'legacy sounds' reflect what a Kurz can do or sound like. I don't know why the presenter chose those - I would have loved to hear him play something on the rich orchestral patches.

So would I, I guess. I understand the presenter may have wanted to appeal to the fans of Kurzweil but I for one would like to hear something more... hmm, realistic?

-- Zbynek N.

Learning to play the piano since 06/2013 on a Kawai CA-95.

Music is what feelings sound like. ~ Author Unknown
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Clayman
So would I, I guess. I understand the presenter may have wanted to appeal to the fans of Kurzweil but I for one would like to hear something more... hmm, realistic?

Yeah, me too. Those out-worldly synth sounds are on almost every keyboard. Even old Kurzweils. I would have liked to have heard those new horns he spoke of. That said, the presenter didn't appear to be much of a hardware guy (Dave said in another forum that he's pretty new, so bare with him) and I don't think the demo board was fully programmed yet. It probably came straight from the lab.

Les C Deal

D
D
The one synth program he played is in fact a bit glitchy on the new hardware. That will get sorted shortly.

The other sounds in the machine - EPs, Clavs, strings, etc from our PC3, plus synths and guitars from the Kore 64 ROM have received very positive feedback so far.

The piano programs are preliminary - we only started programming with the new samples about a week ago.
The new samples are a bit more versatile than the older ones, with a lot more harmonic content, esp in the mids.

Hoping to see a few more Messe videos... after that, we'll be releasing better quality audio demos in the upcoming weeks.

Be sure to check in at Keyboard Corner as well as our facebook page for more updates. http://www.facebook.com/kurzweilmusicsystems

kurzweil's new product prices have become very competitive. nice stage pianos costing way less than Rolands/Yamahas. I didn't like triplestrike, sounded thin compared to my clavinova clp330. so I'm excited with kurzweil artis if the price is around RD300gx

CLP-240 / EL-90 / X5D
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D

Is that September 2013? .... I mean we have to ask after all it IS a Kurzweil and its usually a long time between drinks these days ...

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=oS272H9AfbY

Don't know if it was already posted. Thought it gave a better impression of the AP sound...

Cheers

HwyStar Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Now that video sounds pretty good JFP. Thanks for the link!

Nord Grand, Kawai MP11 (v1), iMac 2017, Yamaha HS8's, Sennheiser 650, Focusrite 2i4, Pianoteq 6.4.0, Steinway Model A, Mason and Hamlin Model AA, Piano Marvel: 3C
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FoKf-Nno_Fo

And another one - that also demonstrates the difference between the old triple strike and the new steinway. Recorded on the mic, but nevertheless you can hear the difference. Closes the discussion about re-using the old samples or not IMHO.

Sidenote: funny enough he talks about noticeable improvements in the low and high register; not mentioning the mid register. That region is for some people where they disliked the triple sound as I understood so far. For sure a coincidence - but it caught my attention..

Some online stores list the Artis already as available soon and pre-order now . I understood "soon" is at the end of 2013 or later, so seems a little bit premature unless Kurzweil can (for the first time ;-) speed up the development and shipment.

T
T
I agree. September is a long wait. I don't understand why they're annoucing the Artis already. A Summer NAMM presentation would make more sense. Still, it's a very interesting DP! As of now - I want one!

Roland RD800, EV ZXA-1.
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Yes sounds much better than before. I take back my criticism!

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by thomsurf
I agree. September is a long wait. I don't understand why they're annoucing the Artis already.!

The smaller companies do that a bit ....

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
C
C
Yes, that does sound a fair bit better than the first demo. I'm sure the new Artis will find its customers and maybe attract a new crowd with these nice updates.

-- Zbynek N.

Learning to play the piano since 06/2013 on a Kawai CA-95.

Music is what feelings sound like. ~ Author Unknown
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission