2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (brennbaer, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,797 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 25 26
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
@marko,

Have you seen the Messe floor recording of the Numa Concert; all talk and talk and talk and he touched the keys exactly zero time. Strange way to sell a keyboard, but it seems to be quite common...

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
You have got to laugh at these "demos", if Beethoven is reincarnated in today's Germany I bet he is a computer programmer this time around.
He'd be a good one, obviously..... just keep looking for a computer programmer with lots of hair and a hearing-aid.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I saw that too. It's driving me crazy! very simple; stop "talking" about the features. I want to "read" about the features and specs. Why would you not "play" the keyboard in a video demo is beyond my comprehension.

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
We'll , they don't actually drive the new cars on the show floor at a car exhibition either. Just missing the barby models you usually see at an auto show ;-) That would make up for the lack of audio demo's a little..., if your ears can't get nothing , your eyes...

F
F
If indeed the fp-80 is just a recycled fp 7f , and it's the same price as well, then maybe they have fixed the 'honkytonk' sound coming through the grand piano 1 and that is the sole purpose of this new product.

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
It's the same grand-piano sound (sample base), so ...

K
K
Originally Posted by Marko in Boston
FP-80

Again, I just want to hear the damn thing!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcqt1nCYeks

Dumb question: Is the "Ivory-S" key-action in this new model the same as the PHA-III action with triple sensors in my FP-7F? I've yet to find a straight answer to this basic question...

K.

Kevin L. Spindler
Early Keyboard Instruments
Stonington, CT
Harpsichords & Clavichords
Custom Instruments Built to Order
Rebuilding, Repair & Restoration
http://www.facebook.com/kevin.spindler.129
X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
Seems like losing the looper and lid simulation are huge losses to me. They are probably still there, just inaccessible.

H
H
Originally Posted by JFP
I had one on order (could get a nice price); but when the manual was finally available...

Where did you get the manual? It is not on rolandus.com web site.

BTW: FP-50 can be heard on these videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5ttkVK11Hw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWirjnQYRTg

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Correct - inside information. I think it wasn't ready yet for public release, but seemed pretty final.

F
F
JFP : "It's the same grand-piano sound (sample base), so "

I'm talking about the buzzing sound coming from certain sections of the keyboard on the fp-7f. Whether this was corrected on the fp 80. If it is I'm buying one.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by free thinker
JFP : "It's the same grand-piano sound (sample base), so "

I'm talking about the buzzing sound coming from certain sections of the keyboard on the fp-7f. Whether this was corrected on the fp 80. If it is I'm buying one.

Just out of curiosity, why in this case would you prefer the FP80 to the RD700NX. Price perhaps, or some other function? Can't be the speakers (please!).

Last edited by spanishbuddha; 04/14/13 03:52 PM.
F
F
I prefer the fp 80 because of price mainly and I don't mind the small speakers as the piano will be used only at home with headphones also it's smaller in size. Both these pianos are available in the Toronto area. I only tried the fp 50 and I couldn't determine if Roland fixed the buzzing sound found in many fp 7f's as there was too much noise in the showroom.

Last edited by free thinker; 04/14/13 07:34 PM.
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Here's a demo of the FP-80:
Roland FP-80

Unfortunately, as usual, the sound quality of the recording is not the best, but it does give an idea of the main features. Still no word on whether there is a new sample alongside the Concert Grand, or whether it's just variations on a theme.

As a side note, I was looking at the Casio PX-5S as a possible lightweight gigging board. I went into GC today to have another go on the PX-350, to see whether I might rethink whether the APs would work for me. While they are silky-smooth sounding and dynamic, I find the upper-mids a trifle annoying, and I noticed how jumpy the action/sound connection can be. I've decided to pass on the PX-5S (although I think that it offers a huge bang for the buck, if you need all the non-piano stuff), and I'm considering the new FPs. The FP-50 is nowhere near as lightweight as the Casio, and it misses a few nice features of the FP-80, but I'm thinking it could be a very versatile small gigs board, in the absence of anything competitive from Yamaha.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by voxpops
Here's a demo of the FP-80:
Roland FP-80

Unfortunately, as usual, the sound quality of the recording is not the best, but it does give an idea of the main features. Still no word on whether there is a new sample alongside the Concert Grand, or whether it's just variations on a theme.

Well spotted Vox.

He says something like "12 acoustic piano sounds". Well, FP-7F has what, three? All the same piano. I reckon there's a healthy chance the Studio Grand - or something very like it - is onboard the FP-80. I like the look and spec of this thing. Another winner for Roland I expect.

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Studio Grand is not onboard.

It has more AP presets/ other preset names, but all based on the same sample-set as before. Perhaps some slight changes in programming of designer or EQ ? If it had the 'other' SN AP's I would have bought it, since I got a good price offer ! That's why I checked with several Roland reps and got the manual from inside to check myself. Sorry...

About the Casio ;
yes for a piano it didn't do it for me either - not as sophisticated / subtle keybed to sound connection as with more expensive board. Keybed also has only three preset touch curves, neither worked for me personally for AP. Also the AP is good for gigging an rock / pop stuff , but for classical and delicate Jazz the upper halve is too much "pling pling" and audible looping in high notes, despite longer samples. PX5S is a very very nice board, but for pure AP it doesn't do it for me. For people searching for an all-round board with many nice sounds and features it's a no-brainer at this price...I almost pre-ordered it twice, meaning how tempting it is. If I'd needed something for a band, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. And that's also it's intended audience mostly, considering it's a lightweight stage piano / controller board.

H
H
Originally Posted by JFP
Studio Grand is not onboard.

That's disappointing, really. It is supposed to have 14 piano tones but I guess it will be one or two pianos, plus endless combinations of piano+something plus the unavoidable honky tonk which nobody ever uses. Sad. I find it hard to believe that company with so little innovative effort could have brought the V-Piano.

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
The "innovation " is in the speakers, adding SN Ep's (which they should have done in the first place on the FP7f) and gimmicks like AirPlay . If your using headphones or external speakers and are mainly interested in the action and AP, the FP80 is the same as the FP7f IMHO.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Thanks JFP. Odd that they wouldn't utilise the Studio Grand in other products although I guess it adds perceived value to the RD-700NX as an exclusive voice. That said, they make no claims in that regard so they haven't capitalised as they could have done in relation to a marketing advantage for the RD.

I know the quality of the audio is poor on the video but to be fair I don't hear so much of the metallic velocity transitions so maybe the pianos are tweaked slightly?

So, how much better are the speakers? The FP7's are rudimentary to say the least, giving the pianos a compressed, muffled and indistinct character in my opinion.

Cheers,

Steve

K
K
Any idea of how the key action of the FP-80 is? I mean is the same (loud, thumpy) as the previous Roland models?

Regards,
Kromen

Kawai ES7
Casio PX-350
Page 5 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 25 26

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission