Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
118 registered (Anita Potter, Auver, accordeur, Anne'sson, A Guy, ando, 39 invisible), 1690 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 4 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16 17 >
Topic Options
#2064557 - 04/14/13 03:45 PM Re: The New Ones: Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: JFP]
free thinker Offline

JFP : "It's the same grand-piano sound (sample base), so "

I'm talking about the buzzing sound coming from certain sections of the keyboard on the fp-7f. Whether this was corrected on the fp 80. If it is I'm buying one.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Click Here

#2064560 - 04/14/13 03:51 PM Re: The New Ones: Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: free thinker]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: free thinker
JFP : "It's the same grand-piano sound (sample base), so "

I'm talking about the buzzing sound coming from certain sections of the keyboard on the fp-7f. Whether this was corrected on the fp 80. If it is I'm buying one.

Just out of curiosity, why in this case would you prefer the FP80 to the RD700NX. Price perhaps, or some other function? Can't be the speakers (please!).

Edited by spanishbuddha (04/14/13 03:52 PM)

#2064645 - 04/14/13 07:26 PM Re: The New Ones: Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: spanishbuddha]
free thinker Offline

I prefer the fp 80 because of price mainly and I don't mind the small speakers as the piano will be used only at home with headphones also it's smaller in size. Both these pianos are available in the Toronto area. I only tried the fp 50 and I couldn't determine if Roland fixed the buzzing sound found in many fp 7f's as there was too much noise in the showroom.

Edited by free thinker (04/14/13 07:34 PM)

#2064698 - 04/14/13 10:22 PM Re: The New Ones: Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
voxpops Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Here's a demo of the FP-80:
Roland FP-80

Unfortunately, as usual, the sound quality of the recording is not the best, but it does give an idea of the main features. Still no word on whether there is a new sample alongside the Concert Grand, or whether it's just variations on a theme.

As a side note, I was looking at the Casio PX-5S as a possible lightweight gigging board. I went into GC today to have another go on the PX-350, to see whether I might rethink whether the APs would work for me. While they are silky-smooth sounding and dynamic, I find the upper-mids a trifle annoying, and I noticed how jumpy the action/sound connection can be. I've decided to pass on the PX-5S (although I think that it offers a huge bang for the buck, if you need all the non-piano stuff), and I'm considering the new FPs. The FP-50 is nowhere near as lightweight as the Casio, and it misses a few nice features of the FP-80, but I'm thinking it could be a very versatile small gigs board, in the absence of anything competitive from Yamaha.

#2064716 - 04/14/13 11:22 PM Re: The New Ones: Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: voxpops]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: voxpops
Here's a demo of the FP-80:
Roland FP-80

Unfortunately, as usual, the sound quality of the recording is not the best, but it does give an idea of the main features. Still no word on whether there is a new sample alongside the Concert Grand, or whether it's just variations on a theme.

Well spotted Vox.

He says something like "12 acoustic piano sounds". Well, FP-7F has what, three? All the same piano. I reckon there's a healthy chance the Studio Grand - or something very like it - is onboard the FP-80. I like the look and spec of this thing. Another winner for Roland I expect.

#2064762 - 04/15/13 01:51 AM Re: The New Ones: Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Studio Grand is not onboard.

It has more AP presets/ other preset names, but all based on the same sample-set as before. Perhaps some slight changes in programming of designer or EQ ? If it had the 'other' SN AP's I would have bought it, since I got a good price offer ! That's why I checked with several Roland reps and got the manual from inside to check myself. Sorry...

About the Casio ;
yes for a piano it didn't do it for me either - not as sophisticated / subtle keybed to sound connection as with more expensive board. Keybed also has only three preset touch curves, neither worked for me personally for AP. Also the AP is good for gigging an rock / pop stuff , but for classical and delicate Jazz the upper halve is too much "pling pling" and audible looping in high notes, despite longer samples. PX5S is a very very nice board, but for pure AP it doesn't do it for me. For people searching for an all-round board with many nice sounds and features it's a no-brainer at this price...I almost pre-ordered it twice, meaning how tempting it is. If I'd needed something for a band, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. And that's also it's intended audience mostly, considering it's a lightweight stage piano / controller board.

#2064784 - 04/15/13 03:17 AM Re: The New Ones: Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: JFP]
Hookxs Offline

Loc: Czech Republic
Originally Posted By: JFP
Studio Grand is not onboard.

That's disappointing, really. It is supposed to have 14 piano tones but I guess it will be one or two pianos, plus endless combinations of piano+something plus the unavoidable honky tonk which nobody ever uses. Sad. I find it hard to believe that company with so little innovative effort could have brought the V-Piano.

#2064785 - 04/15/13 03:38 AM Re: The New Ones: Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The "innovation " is in the speakers, adding SN Ep's (which they should have done in the first place on the FP7f) and gimmicks like AirPlay . If your using headphones or external speakers and are mainly interested in the action and AP, the FP80 is the same as the FP7f IMHO.

#2064821 - 04/15/13 07:00 AM Re: The New Ones: Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Thanks JFP. Odd that they wouldn't utilise the Studio Grand in other products although I guess it adds perceived value to the RD-700NX as an exclusive voice. That said, they make no claims in that regard so they haven't capitalised as they could have done in relation to a marketing advantage for the RD.

I know the quality of the audio is poor on the video but to be fair I don't hear so much of the metallic velocity transitions so maybe the pianos are tweaked slightly?

So, how much better are the speakers? The FP7's are rudimentary to say the least, giving the pianos a compressed, muffled and indistinct character in my opinion.

Cheers,

Steve

#2065123 - 04/15/13 06:37 PM Re: The New Ones: Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
Kromen Offline

Loc: Mexico
Any idea of how the key action of the FP-80 is? I mean is the same (loud, thumpy) as the previous Roland models?

Regards,
Kromen

#2065706 - 04/16/13 08:01 PM Re: The New Ones: Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Kromen]
free thinker Offline

Got my fp 80 today. Very much like the fp 7f. Looks like the onboard recorder records only one layer. Also the headphone jack is standard 1/4 inch size. I still can hear a buzzing from a couple of areas of the keyboard but had no time to dicker with equalizer etc to try correcting. Xtra speakers sound noticeably better.

#2065732 - 04/16/13 09:47 PM Re: The New Ones: Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: voxpops]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: voxpops
I went into GC today to have another go on the PX-350, to see whether I might rethink whether the APs would work for me. While they are silky-smooth sounding and dynamic, I find the upper-mids a trifle annoying...

I've noticed this too in the various on-line demos. Kind of "plinky" or something in the upper-mids.

#2065734 - 04/16/13 09:53 PM Re: The New Ones: Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: dewster]
free thinker Offline

I think it has something to do with the room or the position in the room. When I bought mine they took one out of stock for me to test as they only had the fp 50 displayed. The fp 80 sounded very good in the store.

#2065844 - 04/17/13 03:37 AM Re: The New Ones: Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
Cmin Offline

Loc: Swabia
Free Thinker: Tell us more. Where did you get yours? How does it feel? Are the speakers louder or clearer than the FP-7F? What pianos are on board? How are EPs?

Waiting for my delivery impatiently.... it's killing me.

Edited by Cmin (04/17/13 07:24 AM)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FP-80, HP 3000s, synths, guitars, mics, MBP, interfaces, Voicelive 2, ableton, Pianoteq, nubert A-200 active monitors

#2065851 - 04/17/13 04:52 AM Re: The New Ones: Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

- How is the new onboard speaker configuration performing ? Is it really good, or do you still require external monitors ?
- How is the keybed - same thumpy-ness as the FP7F / RD700NX ? Perhaps less keynoise / bottoming out due to slightly other cabinet ?
- Any improvement / change in SN AP sound(s) ?!

Those are the most important parts of the FP-80 I'm very curious about.

#2065866 - 04/17/13 06:19 AM Re: The New Ones: Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Sorry JFP, from your previous post I assumed you had played the FP-80 - when you say categorically that the Studio Grand is not onboard. But now you're asking if there's "any improvement/change in SN AP sounds". So you don't actually know the Studio Grand is not on it? It may not be called that but that voice - or something related to it - may be onboard. None of us know yet it would appear.

#2065902 - 04/17/13 08:11 AM Re: The New Ones: Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
Cmin Offline

Here is a nice and simple demo of the FP-50 from a Polish site (e-Muzyk.pl) at the FFM. He demonstrates the AP sounds in good sound quality.

And here is another demo of the FP-80 from our italian friends (www.suoniestrumenti.it). Thanks to John Maul for rockin out. ...Also pretty good quality.

Edited by Cmin (04/17/13 08:13 AM)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FP-80, HP 3000s, synths, guitars, mics, MBP, interfaces, Voicelive 2, ableton, Pianoteq, nubert A-200 active monitors

#2065907 - 04/17/13 08:26 AM Re: The New Ones: Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: EssBrace]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: EssBrace
Sorry JFP, from your previous post I assumed you had played the FP-80 - when you say categorically that the Studio Grand is not onboard. But now you're asking if there's "any improvement/change in SN AP sounds". So you don't actually know the Studio Grand is not on it? It may not be called that but that voice - or something related to it - may be onboard. None of us know yet it would appear.

I know it's not on board -> I checked that out with several Roland Reps, People from a Roland dealer and from the Manual - before it was out in the shops, or the manual online. All indicated that the SN AP sounds was NOT extended with the Studio or Brilliant. If the Studio WAS indeed in teh FP-80 , I would have the FP-80 right now under my hands (local stock arrived yesterday).

What I am curious about however is if the basic SN sounds - presumably based on the same samples as on the FP7F - have been improved somewhat in one way or another. Also if the keybed is slightly less thumpy. If both are noticeably better than before, I might put the FP back on my shortlist again, despite the absence of Studio Grand.

Edited by JFP (04/17/13 08:27 AM)

#2065958 - 04/17/13 10:42 AM Re: The New Ones: Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
free thinker Offline

For my situation (at home)the onboard speakers are great. I tried the other piano sounds and I was impressed with them although I don't recall their names since I use mostly Grand piano. I love the keyboard. If I have one complaint it's a kind of distortion that I heard only once or twice. Similar to the fp-7f I had which I returned. As I said I have not as yet tackled that, it could be room placement , equalizer, etc. The piano in-store did not have this problem. I bought it at Long And Mcquaid's in the Toronto area for $1960.

#2066030 - 04/17/13 01:50 PM Re: The New Ones: Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: JFP]
Hookxs Offline

- How is the new onboard speaker configuration performing ? Is it really good, or do you still require external monitors ?
- How is the keybed - same thumpy-ness as the FP7F / RD700NX ? Perhaps less keynoise / bottoming out due to slightly other cabinet ?

I subscribe to JFP's questions. Free-thinker - could you tell us more about the piano, especially the points listed above? If you could post some (solo piano) recording, it would be icing on the cake:-)

#2066114 - 04/17/13 05:04 PM Re: The New Ones: Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Hookxs]
Kromen Offline

Originally Posted By: Hookxs

I subscribe to JFP's questions. Free-thinker - could you tell us more about the piano, especially the points listed above? If you could post some (solo piano) recording, it would be icing on the cake:-)

I subscribe to this petition too :D, because I am between this one and a Kawai ES7 (if I can find one frown here in México)

Regards,
Oscar

#2066190 - 04/17/13 07:20 PM Re: The New Ones: Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Kromen]
free thinker Offline

Hi, IMO the speakers are at least 50% louder than the fp-7f and are louder than the es7 which I returned Sunday. I liked the es7 but the sound was too mellow for my taste and it didn't have many sounds or any drum kits . I will never need external speakers for the fp-80 as they are plenty loud for just using in large room at home.
I never tried the rd700nx but I believe the keyboard is the same as the fp-7f which I liked anyways especially after spending 45min at the store using various keyboards. Yes there is thumping when pressing keys when powered off if that's what you mean.
As far as the SN ap sounds on the fp-80 I like them and find most of them realistic but can't give you a definite answer because I rarely used them on the fp-7f to compare the two.
the first 3 pianos are very good-- 1-concert piano, 2-balladepiano, 3-bright piano also 10- comp piano.
the others ; dreamy piano, piano + ep, piano + strings, piano + pad, piano + choir, magical piano, rock piano, ragtime, harpsichord, coupled hps -- some seem a little gimmicky and I doubt I will use them much.
I hope that helps but there is nothing like going down there and trying them out for yourself since it is a very personal thing. For instance the es7 I returned was too mellow almost hollowed-out sounding for me and prefer the fp=80 even though I may never resolve the twangy noise at d# 3 and the 2 adjacent notes.
By the way Oscar, where are you in Mexico? Just got back from a great 3 weeks in Puerto Vallarta.

Edited by free thinker (04/17/13 07:23 PM)

#2066217 - 04/17/13 08:44 PM Re: The New Ones: Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: free thinker]
Kromen Offline

Hi, thanks free thinker for your info.

Regarding this, could you tell me how the FP-80 key action of the compares with the ES7 ?

Quote:
By the way Oscar, where are you in Mexico? Just got back from a great 3 weeks in Puerto Vallarta.

Nice! thats a beautiful place to vacation (like many here in México wink )
I live in Yucatán Peninsula (in southeastern México) which also is a really nice place to vacation, so I cant really blame on that laugh

Regards,
Oscar

#2066221 - 04/17/13 08:59 PM Re: The New Ones: Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Kromen]
free thinker Offline

I liked the action on the fp-80 immediately (and equal or better than es7) and I'm used to a young chang baby grand. The ivory feel is also a plus and better than the shiny plastic of the grand.

Edited by free thinker (04/17/13 09:01 PM)

#2066278 - 04/17/13 11:29 PM Re: The New Ones: Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: free thinker]
Kromen Offline

Awesome, thanks free thinker

Regards,
Oscar

#2066386 - 04/18/13 06:28 AM Re: The New Ones: Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
Hookxs Offline

Thank you free thinker! It seems to me that after years of hard work on the most realistic piano samples, their names have been perfected. Or am I just too cynical?:-) Anyway, glad that you are happy with the piano, I believe that it is pretty good board.

#2066422 - 04/18/13 08:03 AM Re: The New Ones: Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts
This is just how I expected it to sound (starting at 1:03) ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mNSJR0NZ54

Edited by Marko in Boston (04/18/13 08:31 AM)

#2066454 - 04/18/13 09:27 AM Re: The New Ones: Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

You mean totally distorted ?! I assume you're being cynical. About SN : if they got it right (or almost right) in the first place, then why would the same sound 2 years later suddenly be completely outdated.

Kurzweil milked their triple for , what...about 20 years ? And it's still on current boards. Yamaha seems to be in recycling mode as well, and Korg doesn't seem to get that smoothing effects like string resonance, unnoticable layer switching are also part of the job, apart from long samples. Casio has larger sample ram, but uses the same piano sample as before, just longer. I would have liked to see an enhanced SN version 2 from Roland as well, but even without the SN is still one of the better sounding DP sounds out there. Apart from SW Piano's of course.

Funny thing is no-one has still any idea yet if the SN AP is 100% exactly the same as in the FP7f, or that Roland introduced indeed some slight improvements. And then I don't mean only in the preset naming...Edit: we'll one thing I found is that the FP-80 has soundboard behavior modeling, whereas the FP7f has not.

Edited by JFP (04/18/13 10:26 AM)

#2066515 - 04/18/13 11:52 AM Re: The New Ones: Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
mabraman Offline

Loc: Valencia, Spain
I hardly believe that the ES7 is more "mellow" than any Roland. No way, unless you were talking about the upper octaves, those so-called metallic.
In fact, the main characteristic of the Rolands is their sweet and deep low register.Isn't it?

#2066584 - 04/18/13 02:36 PM Re: The New Ones: Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: JFP]
Cmin Offline

Edit: we'll one thing I found is that the FP-80 has soundboard behavior modeling, whereas the FP7f has not.

What do you mean with soundboard behavior???

Page 4 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16 17 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai CA95 - Any Firmware Updates
by McBuster
11/23/14 10:45 AM
Mozart sonata k.333, Mark C?
by Pover
11/23/14 09:54 AM
100 years old and music keeps her active
by Rich Galassini
11/23/14 07:45 AM
At 100 years old, she says music keeps her well
by Rich Galassini
11/23/14 07:36 AM
Chopin waltz in E minor (Op. Posth.) or Op.70/1
by Works1
11/23/14 06:22 AM
Forum Stats
77013 Members
42 Forums
159289 Topics
2339908 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission