Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2066666 - 04/18/13 05:42 PM Do you allow yourself a day off?
PianoHarry Offline

Loc: Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia
I generally practise 7 days a week. I practise hard during the week, then my weekend practise sessions are much lighter. On the weekend tend to just practise whatever I feel like doing and don't structure the session at all. If I feel like playing blues in C major all day, that's what I do.

My wife says I would be better of to leave it alone altogether for one day a week. She is a school teacher and says that that is when new skills are mastered, after we have done the work.

I feel that I am only really messing around on the weekend anyway.

How do others feel?
Does anyone practise 7 days a week?

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2066668 - 04/18/13 05:46 PM Re: Do you allow yourself a day off? [Re: PianoHarry]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
"Allow" myself???

I'd rather skip a meal than skip practicing.

The less charitable would probably suggest I try it.

My practice schedule is the mirror image of yours. I practice hard on weekends when I have more time to do so. During the week, whatever practicing I can't get done between 7 and 10pm doesn't happen.

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2066676 - 04/18/13 05:58 PM Re: Do you allow yourself a day off? [Re: PianoHarry]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
I do skip days - I need the break sometimes. I think it's the sleep that actually helps the learning, and not necessarily the skipping the day. Although I do think that it's beneficial to not practice the same thing day after day after day - not sure what that mechanism is, though. But that's why I'm not in the MOYD thread - I just don't have the temperament. But some people do, and if it works for them, yea.

Cathy

#2066689 - 04/18/13 06:12 PM Re: Do you allow yourself a day off? [Re: PianoHarry]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
I usually play most days but can certainly take a day or more off here and there. Especially when I'm wrapped up in something else that is consuming my time and interest.

Welding project, me vs a small engine carburetor, today it is homemade cold process soap.

I have noticed in the past that I can play in a 'refreshed' type of way with better clarity after taking a day or two off. But I also think this works best only when taking time off occasionally.

Kind of like with medicine. If you take something once in a while it seems to work well but if you take it all the time the effect seems to get diluted. Same concept.

#2066691 - 04/18/13 06:15 PM Re: Do you allow yourself a day off? [Re: PianoHarry]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Liverpool, England
Confession time- I don't skip days I skip a week- I'm lazy! blush

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2066694 - 04/18/13 06:20 PM Re: Do you allow yourself a day off? [Re: EdwardianPiano]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
It would be a lie to say I practice every day. My intention is to practice every day. But, life will sometimes get in the way.

My teacher is great in telling me that these breaks can be good too. I'm always listening to music. So on some level I'm processng music all the time. Its good sometimes to gain perspective and a new attitude towards a piece by taking some time off. So, I have gotten better about giving myself a hard time over taking time off. It just is. If I can practice, I do.

#2066697 - 04/18/13 06:26 PM Re: Do you allow yourself a day off? [Re: PianoHarry]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
I had a 4 year run on the MOYD list, but found out forced practice on days I was worn out from my part time day job, I was doing more harm than good. So I now take off one day a week on average. My full time job at night allows me to practice during those days with no problem.

#2066702 - 04/18/13 06:37 PM Re: Do you allow yourself a day off? [Re: PianoHarry]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Are you kidding? Some times I give myself a whole week off. I think I practice at best 5 days a week, more on weekends because weekdays are just too tough with family and kids, 60-hour/week job, and plus after the two children finish their practicing it's basically bed time for me too.

Come to think of it, I should have pushed the violin on the kids, so I could have the piano all to myself and not have to stand in line everyday, some days never making it.

#2066706 - 04/18/13 06:52 PM Re: Do you allow yourself a day off? [Re: PianoHarry]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
I would like to have a day off but she (my yamaha P105) won't let me......help

#2066714 - 04/18/13 07:04 PM Re: Do you allow yourself a day off? [Re: earlofmar]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Have you not found her off button yet? grin

#2066718 - 04/18/13 07:09 PM Re: Do you allow yourself a day off? [Re: 4evrBeginR]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

What is this "MOYD" list that has been mentioned?

Edited by dynamobt (04/18/13 07:10 PM)

#2066720 - 04/18/13 07:17 PM Re: Do you allow yourself a day off? [Re: dynamobt]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

Ahhhh, I did a search. "Master Of Your Domain". Is there a MOYD running now?

#2066729 - 04/18/13 07:42 PM Re: Do you allow yourself a day off? [Re: PianoHarry]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine

#2066742 - 04/18/13 08:21 PM Re: Do you allow yourself a day off? [Re: dynamobt]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
Thanks for asking.

What is this "MOYD" list that has been mentioned?

now I know.

#2066757 - 04/18/13 09:02 PM Re: Do you allow yourself a day off? [Re: PianoHarry]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Do you allow yourself a day off?

When I started to play the piano, I would open up book 1 of learning to play the piano and play the piece slowly tumbling through the piece and do that everyday more or less subject to illness, etc.

Now, a year later, it is a totally different story. As I am working through John Thompson, I look over the next piece I will learn days in advance reading through the piece and making sure I can read all the notes, and get familiar with the piece long before I ever play it. I work on writing out scales before going to sleep. So I have learned that there is a lot you can do besides sitting on the piano bench.

If I am tired, I don't play, I sleep and then play. Playing tired doesn't work for me. Playing sick doesn't work for me. but I play every chance I get.

The big guys say if you miss a day, your friends notice it; if you miss two days, you notice it.

It is not about missing a day. It is about playing well, practicing well. Doing your best at all time when you are playing. Not just sitting on the piano bench because you do it everyday. No, No.

Pilots, bus drivers, etc. are only allowed to work so many hours and then they have to sign off. You are looking at the music and playing and you have to sign off if you aren't playing your best and get some rest/sleep.

#2066874 - 04/19/13 02:42 AM Re: Do you allow yourself a day off? [Re: PianoHarry]
mabraman Offline

Loc: Valencia, Spain
I allow myself everything I deserve and is sane. A day, or even a week or two off (an Easter here and there) can be very profitable. Although I understand that some fine movements get untrained while these breaks happen, I find myself playing more relaxed after it, I like more my sound...It's like having some perspective. Besides, the brain needs time to build up new connections: we usually think it happens at night time, during dream phases, and it's true, but also during day time. I feel that I learn more if I make pauses.
Last, when it gets tough and you begin to feel frustrated or even angry, it's time to have a rest.
I can't have more free working days, nor as a pair or a father. But the piano is for having fun, not compulsory!!

#2066888 - 04/19/13 03:42 AM Re: Do you allow yourself a day off? [Re: PianoHarry]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
I usually practice 6 days a week, so I always skip at least 1 day a week. I find it useful actually. On the contrary, if I skip 2 or 3 in a row, then I feel I have to make up for it, I end up playing things through to see if I remember and not really practicing in a productive way.

#2066890 - 04/19/13 03:45 AM Re: Do you allow yourself a day off? [Re: PianoHarry]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Well, if I go cycling or running, then two or more days without a break (I don`t do so much anyway) would cause problems. With the piano and my attention span, it`s much the same . . .my brain would hurt too much ha ha

""

#2066893 - 04/19/13 03:53 AM Re: Do you allow yourself a day off? [Re: sinophilia]
Saranoya Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brussels, Belgium
I strive to play every day. I am on the MOYD list, and I've only fallen off the wagon twice (a one-day break in either case) since January 31. Which is ... not bad, I guess.

That said, and as others have noted: there is a marked difference between *playing* every day, and *practising* every day. I have been doing far too little structured practice for months now, and it shows. But I do allow myself to not practice when I don't feel like it. The instant piano becomes just another chore on the long list of things I have to get done every day, it will no longer be worth it to me. So to prevent that, I tend to make music, first, and practice second, only when I have the energy to do so.

Currently Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Burgmüller 100/3, 4, 7, 12, 15, 19, 25
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9

Future
Burgmüller 109
Bartok Sz 56
Mozart K331

#2066903 - 04/19/13 04:13 AM Re: Do you allow yourself a day off? [Re: Michael_99]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
Originally Posted By: Michael_99
The big guys say if you miss a day, your friends notice it; if you miss two days, you notice it.

Heh, I think it's the other way around. Certainly you know and can sense the deterioration in your own playing better than some friends (unless you're in denial and refuse to listen to yourself play!).

#2066909 - 04/19/13 04:40 AM Re: Do you allow yourself a day off? [Re: PianoHarry]
Clayman Offline

Loc: Prague, Czech Rep.
Originally Posted By: PianoHarry
My wife says I would be better of to leave it alone altogether for one day a week. She is a school teacher and says that that is when new skills are mastered, after we have done the work.

I'll tell you when I get my own piano but I believe your wife is right. The brain does need some time to absorb the newly learned stuff. It's much easier to take smaller bites over a longer period of time than trying to take it all in one scoop. Any college student would agree. smile

Learning to play the piano since 06/2013 on a Kawai CA-95.

Music is what feelings sound like. ~ Author Unknown

#2066934 - 04/19/13 06:50 AM Re: Do you allow yourself a day off? [Re: PianoHarry]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Not really. My idea of taking a day off is practicing 30-60 minutes instead of three or more hours. Unless I'm marooned somewhere without a piano, with me not practicing at all is a sign of serious depression. The less I practice the worse off I am.

#2066935 - 04/19/13 06:54 AM Re: Do you allow yourself a day off? [Re: Clayman]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Originally Posted By: Clayman
Originally Posted By: PianoHarry

I'll tell you when I get my own piano but I believe your wife is right. The brain does need some time to absorb the newly learned stuff. It's much easier to take smaller bites over a longer period of time than trying to take it all in one scoop. Any college student would agree. smile

You can get pretty much the same effect by alternating the pieces (or segments of a piece) you're working on.

#2066937 - 04/19/13 06:56 AM Re: Do you allow yourself a day off? [Re: PianoHarry]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Yes. I take a week holidays a few times a year and usually I play not on sunday.

#2066948 - 04/19/13 07:30 AM Re: Do you allow yourself a day off? [Re: PianoHarry]
Mete Offline

Loc: Turkey
I can't. I'm on MOYD.

#2066956 - 04/19/13 07:58 AM Re: Do you allow yourself a day off? [Re: PianoHarry]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
So, while breaks don't hurt me, the day feels emptier somehow. If I got a day I really didn't want to practice, I would play anyway.

I actually give my family a day off on Christmas and Thanksgiving; I don't practice but I just play Christmas and Holiday tunes. I'm not sure they really notice the difference to be honest wink

Kawai K3

#2066961 - 04/19/13 08:13 AM Re: Do you allow yourself a day off? [Re: PianoHarry]
jazztpt Offline

I play everyday , play rather than practice , just can't get by without it.

As an ex trumpet player , the old saying goes:

If I have one day off I know it
If I have 2 days off the band know it
If I have 3 days off the audience know it

Of course the trumpet is a different beast, an evil
beast if truth be told.

Piano Recordings

#2067003 - 04/19/13 09:44 AM Re: Do you allow yourself a day off? [Re: -Frycek]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Bobpickle, I have read your post, here:

___

Heh, I think it's the other way around. Certainly you know and can sense the deterioration in your own playing better than some friends (unless you're in denial and refuse to listen to yourself play!).

Thanks, Bob, for the correction. I should know better than to try to remember a quote with my memory that I read.

Edited by Michael_99 (04/19/13 09:45 AM)

#2067017 - 04/19/13 09:55 AM Re: Do you allow yourself a day off? [Re: jazztpt]
Farmerjones Offline

Loc: USA
Fun to read all the different approaches. Piano's therapy to me so I rarely miss a day.

#2067019 - 04/19/13 09:58 AM Re: Do you allow yourself a day off? [Re: PianoHarry]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
I have days where I may only play through my scales a couple times or spend 20 minutes noodling around on the piano but I consider these as days off. I find these days off very beneficial too. My normal day means ~45-90 minutes bench time, sometimes more depending on my circumstances.

Just be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Original method for harmonic hearing development
by Nahum
10/21/14 03:19 AM
First Digital Piano - Advice needed
by chicobalay
10/21/14 02:37 AM
How to Regulate a Studio Upright for Greatest Sensitivity?
by Paul678
10/20/14 11:05 PM
How do I tackle my goal.
by imustlearn
10/20/14 10:29 PM
Advice? First digital piano for family--already own a GP
by SCD
10/20/14 07:58 PM
Who's Online
64 registered (Al LaPorte, barbaram, beeboss, 36251, 19 invisible), 1074 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158395 Topics
2325958 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission