2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,188 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Plowboy
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
Yes I can! Name a key.

Francis Scott?

Good one!

Learner
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin
Originally Posted by Plowboy
Yes I can! Name a key.

Francis Scott?

Good one!

[Linked Image]

R
R
I think I was only called upon to play them once or twice though. [Linked Image]

Robert Bunch
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Darn it -- not really. grin
I wasn't sure, so I sat down and tried it. I could play it, but with a few mistakes.
And I discovered something: I'm fine with knowing what's the harmony, but where I have trouble is being sure what note to put on top -- i.e. what's the melody note.
Which is not too bad if you're accompanying -- it works fine. But if you're just playing it solo, it sounds completely incompetent. ha

I tried the Canadian and Israeli anthems too. Same thing. smile
But I was especially glad that I was able to get the 'deceptive cadence' III chord where I wanted near the end of the Canadian. cool
I die when I hear a version that does just a "I" there.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I stumbled across the Star Spangled Banner one night on the black keys. Does that count?

Gary
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I love the old USSR anthem, so I'd like to play that, if I can. Never mind that I'm Greek.

But I can play the Greek one too... :P

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Nope, but I can sing it, and The Lord's Prayer, which seems to be another hard one for folks to sing.

Oh, wait....wrong forum. blush

Patty

A tired dog is a good dog.

Perzina GP-187
Kawai CP209

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
One of the proudest days of his life was when he became an American citizen. That is why I play Rachmaninoff's transcription of the Star Spangled Banner in B Flat Major.

It is only two pages, and takes about a day to learn. I highly recommend it.

You can even fool people at parties by announcing that you are going to play some Rachmaninoff. Somebody usually groans, and then you whip out the Star Spangled Banner, and it really shuts them up, quick.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
The musical "problem" with the "Star Spangled Banner" as a sung anthem is its range. No matter what key it is played it, its one and a half octave range puts it too high for some, too low for others, and is, therefore, not an ideal anthem to be sung by the masses.

I, personally, like both the music and the lyrics of "America, the Beautiful" much better. Those lyrics do portray a "gentler, kinder" message, do they not?

And, while on the topic, I think it is nothing short of a disgrace - may I even venture to suggest "anti-patriotic"? - to hear what some singers do to national anthems in large, public celebrations. This observation is not limited to performances of just the American anthem.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
The musical "problem" with the "Star Spangled Banner" as a sung anthem is its range. No matter what key it is played it, its one and a half octave range puts it too high for some, too low for others, and is, therefore, not an ideal anthem to be sung by the masses.

I, personally, like both the music and the lyrics of "America, the Beautiful" much better. Those lyrics do portray a "gentler, kinder" message, do they not?

And, while on the topic, I think it is nothing short of a disgrace - may I even venture to suggest "anti-patriotic"? - to hear what some singers do to national anthems in large, public celebrations. This observation is not limited to performances of just the American anthem.

Regards,

Agree that the Star-Spangled Banner causes problems for a lot of singers, which is an issue.

While I don't like it musically as well as some other national anthems, I DO like the lyrics more than the music. Especially the particularly unsingable turn:

"...And the rockets' red glare,
The bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night
That our flag was still there."

That is, if not Shakespearean, at least Churchillian.

Last edited by ClsscLib; 04/18/13 06:03 PM.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by BruceD
The Australian anthem gets butchered in a similar way. And so many of these singers augment the last two bars so that now you never know whether it's going to be sung in time or stretched out at the end (with predictable consequences when a group is singing it - a weird counterpoint results smile ).
And yes, I can play it. In any key you like (and a few you probably wouldn't like). It has quite a range, though not as much as Star-Spangled Banner, so it's pretty useful to be able to adjust the key according to the capacity of the singers.

Du holde Kunst...
It has 15 verses; so somewhere down the line you fall asleep from boredom. Thus, the answer is no.

Yamaha C3, Sauter Delta 185, Sauter Omega 220
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Dave Horne, I read your post, here:

I play once in a while for my local government. I received a phone call today where they're in a bind and need someone to play their national anthem for an awards ceremony. I agreed to play and am doing them a favor - this is a freebie.

It's a matter of me playing two choruses while the mayor of my village performs. To his credit he has an excellent voice and is a nice guy.

I remember once back probably more than 40 years ago in the US where I was in the audience and some poor kid who really didn't know our anthem really butchered it.

It's really in your best interest to be able to play your own national anthem ... and play it with great confidence.

Just passin' this on.

Well, what is funny and worse is....

As kids at school, of course, we learned and sang all the time, O Canada, but at some point the government changed the words, I think for the benefit of French Canadians, but I may be wrong.

Anyway, since I don't go hockey games, I don't hear O Canada. I think most Canadians my age don't know the new words unless they go to professional hockey games.

And, no, as a beginner piano player, I haven't learned O Canada - yet.

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Hi currawong,

Must just tell of having recorded the Andre Rieu Concert at Melbourne ... in which are played the Aussie National Anthem, Walzing Mathilda and
Tie Me Kangaroo Down amongst others .

The zest with which the huge audience join in the jovial singing makes us other colonials green with envy ... you lucky chappies.

The South African Anthem (which always brings a tear) is in fact a jumbled compromise of the Zulu, Afrikaans and English languages ... thank goodness the years have been kind in slowly gracing unity.

Wish I could play our Anthem ... but can't find the score.

Kind regards, btb

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by btb
The zest with which the huge audience join in the jovial singing makes us other colonials green with envy ... you lucky chappies.
Yes, some of us chappies do "jovial" quite well ... laugh

Du holde Kunst...
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
We sing

"Where's the jolly mamba you've got in your tucker bag?"

Do you remember that movie with Mel Gibson strung up by the baddies ... who depart the scene leaving a sack ... out of which crawls a rattler.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I can play the German, French and European anthem; so I can play "my" national anthem. wink

In the case of the European anthem (Beethoven's Ode to Joy): Only the simplified version. Not the variations.

I can also play a few other national anthems. And I don't know any national anthem I'd call ugly.

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yes I can! Name a key.

Oh say, can you?
C.

3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by cefinow
Yes I can! Name a key.

Oh say, can you?
C.

Francis Scott?

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
C minor. grin

Regards,

Polyphonist
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission