Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#2067036 - 04/19/13 10:23 AM Re: Can we kick some people off the Quarterly Recitals already?? [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Sand Tiger Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Mr Super-Hunky
Originally Posted By: Sand Tiger
Mr. Super-Hunky,

The ABF recital and the ABF piano bar are Intermediate groups.
... As for an Intermediates forum, why not just start a topic or two with that word in the heading and have at it?

I have, many Many times as stated above. Previous year searches will bring up the topic and the discussions that followed. The overall mindset of the group has always been to ultimately keep the group as it currently is.

But the exact topic is as predictable in the future as the perpetual 'I have no motivation to play' type of threads. You'll see.

Mr. Super-Hunky,
I think you missed the gist of my suggestion. It wasn't to rehash the creation or separation or renaming. As you say, the result of that rehashing is predictable. The suggestion is to start topics that you think are relevant to Intermediate level players and see if there is any energy in those discussions (eg: Intermediates: polyrhythms, Intermediates: comping singers, Intermediates: mordents and more, or just pile them all into one super topic: Intermediate topics). If those topics take off with a life of their own, the administrators and others might see a need for a separate forum. If there isn't any life to separate Intermediate level thread discussions, there isn't much need for a separate forum.

As for the comments by others about a separate recital, it is an idea worth considering. However, it would be small. Most true beginners have a hard time finding their way around the forum, recording, and uploading, and may not even find a true beginner recital before they are up and out of that group. There are always a few first submitters. Putting them in their own small recital has its pluses and minuses.

It may encourage two or three more to submit. The question becomes whether it is worth the extra work for two or three more? The number of listeners would likely go way down. How many intermediates are going to sign up to listen to ten beginners playing beginner pieces? There is no reward for the listener, certainly not the casual listener. With the intermediates segregated out, they have little incentive to listen and comment.

Contrast that to the current recital where the beginners are mixed in. Beginner pieces tend to be short, so the listener only has a brief time of exposure to beginner music before something more palatable comes up on the player. With so many experienced players listening, the beginners tend to get many more comments. So pluses and minuses, and I'm not sure it is clear that the positives win out.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2067038 - 04/19/13 10:25 AM Re: Can we kick some people off the Quarterly Recitals already?? [Re: aTallGuyNH]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
If I may, I think that a "true beginner-only" recital would make not very proficient people like myself stand out even more... With things as they are now, I can still say to myself "well most of them are not true beginners anyway!" wink

#2067054 - 04/19/13 11:06 AM Re: Can we kick some people off the Quarterly Recitals already?? [Re: aTallGuyNH]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisboa, Portugal
This is not a competition, so I don't agree with the main idea. And I do not agree with the idea of doing a recital for "true begginers".
The spirit of ABF recitals is perfect. Do not spoil it.

CarlosCC records
Self-learning since 12/2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

#2067055 - 04/19/13 11:07 AM Re: Can we kick some people off the Quarterly Recitals already?? [Re: aTallGuyNH]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
"First online recital" would be a clear delimiter, but "pieces they have played" wouldn't, I don't think. I think its bias is to classical pieces, and I don't play any at all, and have no intention of ever doing so. For me one of the reasons the ABF is comfortable is because it keeps the classical "bias" to a minimum. We play an incredible range of genres, so I can play a sheet music version of Tuxedo Junction, and Inlanding can improv some swing, and jazzwee can record a live performance of his jazz band and Monica can play Einaudi, AND we have Sam S and Sam Rose and everyone play great classical pieces. And Mel can find composers most of us have never heard of, which is way cool.

The "non-classical" forum has not caught on, I think, because it hasn't got the draw of comfort - there's not a snowball's chance I'd post a sheet music version of Tuxedo Junction there, tho sometimes folks will post Joplin. But the community spirit that's here isn't there. And for me, it was the word "beginner" that made me look smile

So I really don't want a delimiter that biases this forum to classical, and I really really really think that "pieces they've played" would do so. When you're playing non-classical pieces the difficulty of the piece depends entirely on the performer. And, again, even with classical, there's a judgement call involved - maybe someone has attempted the first movement of Moonlight, but do they play it as a true beginner would, or as a professional would?

So "first online recital" I'd be fine with (or do we exclude people who posted their first online piece in the piano bar, or on youtube?) but not a delimiter by particular pieces.

Again, just me, of course.

Cathy

Edited by jotur (04/19/13 11:08 AM)
Edit Reason: grammar

#2067077 - 04/19/13 11:39 AM Re: Can we kick some people off the Quarterly Recitals already?? [Re: aTallGuyNH]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Cathy (Jotur) I understand your point, except that I don't see how "pieces they've played" sounds like a classical bias. In any event - it seems the more we talk about it the more see that folks are generally pretty happy with things as they are smile

Edited by casinitaly (04/19/13 11:39 AM)

#2067085 - 04/19/13 11:48 AM Re: Can we kick some people off the Quarterly Recitals already?? [Re: casinitaly]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: casinitaly
...except that I don't see how "pieces they've played" sounds like a classical bias.

Well, I think because Tuxedo Junction in sheet music is not likely to be one of the "pieces they've played" criteria laugh Maybe even Joplin Entertainer wouldn't be, tho that's more likely. Would River Runs in You be one? I don't play those, either. But - Minuet in G, yeah, that would probably be listed. The first movement of Moonlight, or Fur Elise. But if someone had only played from your Melody Bober jazz books? For me that might be a likely scenario. I just think the most common "pieces they've played" are classical - otherwise, we're all over the map, so to speak.

But I could be wrong. I have been before laugh

Cathy

#2067099 - 04/19/13 12:08 PM Re: Can we kick some people off the Quarterly Recitals already?? [Re: aTallGuyNH]
casinitaly Offline

Ok, I had to go back and re-read the first posts about the "true beginner's recital" to refresh my memory.

I understand what you mean -and yes, I think such a list would lean heavily on classics or "very popular standars".

I also think making a list would be super tricky - even if it included lots of popular songs, there are so many levels and books with "easy versions" we'd be endlessly clarifying "which version".

#2067119 - 04/19/13 01:02 PM Re: Can we kick some people off the Quarterly Recitals already?? [Re: Andy Platt]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Wow... this has gone off in some interesting directions that I wouldn't have anticipated. That was the whole point though.

Some replies to your replies...

First, I'm wishing I had not over-played the subject line and the opening sentences. A bunch of people responded to those as though I really wanted to vote people out! I'm definitely NOT in favor of voting anyone out of anything (within PW/ABF that is) under any circumstances.

Secondly, my point was really regarding the quarterly recitals and encouraging beginners to participate. Anything about ABF more generally, to me anyway, is a totally separate topic and distracts from having a conversation about beginners in the recitals.

I agree w/ SandTiger (although I had to sleep on it!) re: keeping things simple, and being as thoughtful as possible about different people's feelings.

For me, I'd be pleased as punch to be voted to the "Senior Circuit". Conversely, if I achieved a high level of skill and still wasn't voted in (or out, whatever), I wouldn't have bruised feelings about it either. Others wouldn't see it the same way, and still others would be put off by any whiff of competitive spirit injected. I get that, and agree.

For some who suggested I look at my progress, etc. differently -- my suggestions and thoughts aren't really about me. I'm trying to look at the big picture, not just at my own personal feelings.

I really love the suggestion of an additional recital, using the same exact software, as Sam S suggests, but on a slightly different schedule.

Under the mantras of "keep it simple" and "keep it welcoming":
  • Use the self-selection method. Anyone who feels like they'd like to share their efforts in the online recital setting, but would like to be more amongst "beginner beginners", could participate.
  • No criteria re: prior participation, experience, and so on. I wouldn't want to exclude anyone from something named the "first recital recital" who would otherwise not yet be up for submitting to the existing "been there, done that, recital". smile
  • I would hope that any "true" beginner (Diana for instance, as self-identified in this thread) would feel comfortable in the new recital, but would also feel equally comfortable to post in the existing recital if desired. This may be easier stated as a goal vs. achieved.
  • No "rules" per se. If someone does the "beginner beginner" and then realizes they feel ready to do the big one after all, then do both in that quarter -- no problem.
  • No guidelines re: "pieces" and so on... The recital would have its own life and evolve naturally as its participants wish.

As Sam points out below...

Originally Posted By: Sam S
If we do introduce another recital, I'm sure it will take some time to settle down. Each recital will be smaller that what we have now, which might be a good thing. And we may be able to create a more welcoming environment for the true beginners among us.

I couldn't have said it better -- and this is soooooo much better than what I had suggested initially.

As for the comments by others about a separate recital, it is an idea worth considering. However, it would be small. Most true beginners have a hard time finding their way around the forum, recording, and uploading, and may not even find a true beginner recital before they are up and out of that group. There are always a few first submitters. Putting them in their own small recital has its pluses and minuses.

It may encourage two or three more to submit.

I think small is good in this case. If the net effect were to essentially split the existing recital, that would be a bad thing. I'd be just as opposed as anyone else in that case.

The question becomes whether it is worth the extra work for two or three more?

Fortunately, being an all volunteer force here, that can be determined simply based on the willingness of those who would choose to invest their time in it.

The number of listeners would likely go way down. How many intermediates are going to sign up to listen to ten beginners playing beginner pieces? There is no reward for the listener, certainly not the casual listener. With the intermediates segregated out, they have little incentive to listen and comment.

I don't see it that way, and I hope we'll have the chance to find out. I think there is a healthy block of folks on the AOTW thread who love to be willfully positive despite all evidence to the contrary. I bet they would turn out in spades! smile

My $.02 worth is that this is something to chew on for a while.

Some food for thought though -- Doesn't the current status quo of pieces/songs and quality thereof indicate that the recitals (not just quarterly) are at such a level that they are inherently not comfortable for true beginners to participate?

Continuing to debate, poke, prod, and discuss ways to give them ("us" actually, since I consider myself mostly in this group still) a special spot for sharing their efforts is a worthy endeavor!

Back to the broader forum question briefly:

The only problem I have is the inaccurate heading of the word 'beginner' in our forum. Why?, because as you say (correctly) only a very small minority is actually a true beginner. The idea of adding an 'Intermediate' group OR renaming our existing ABF group to include the word 'Intermediate' would of course be more factually accurate. But once again, the concept never sticks. We all discuss it as a group only for it to ultimately die out.

I think there is a very simple reason for this, which is:

This is a true community. Why would we want to split up this community for the sake of something as trivial as our differing piano skills?

Ironic, eh?

smile

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2067141 - 04/19/13 01:38 PM Re: Can we kick some people off the Quarterly Recitals already?? [Re: aTallGuyNH]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Originally Posted By: aTallGuyNH

This is a true community. Why would we want to split up this community for the sake of something as trivial as our differing piano skills?

Ironic, eh?

smile

Yes it is ironic. Ironic in the fact that the person who originally started this thread referred to the seasoned members as OCD and wanted to kick them out of the recital because they were getting too good. Only kidding though...(sorta).

Funny thing is Tallguy, I can clearly remember your request in the last recital for members to give you only real, helpful feedback. No fluffy BS. So I honored your request and listened to your entire performance very carefully. I listened to it twice actually and then gave you my honest feedback at length in order to offer constructive feedback while providing you with positive reinforcement.

If we are to take your suggestion and toss the seasoned members, then the constructive feedback that you seeking won't be there because,...well,...you tossed us.

Now that's what I call ironic! Eh?

#2067155 - 04/19/13 02:30 PM Re: Can we kick some people off the Quarterly Recitals already?? [Re: Saranoya]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Saranoya - Just let me say this. My wife played a piece o` Chopin with a fast bit in the middle. People loved to hear it. She played the fast bit twice as slow as most; speed was difficult for her (arthritis had not been diagnosed then). She got her grade 8 theory and used it well. She was a good teacher to many. . . . and did paid playing work in many public places.

""

#2067157 - 04/19/13 02:32 PM Re: Can we kick some people off the Quarterly Recitals already?? [Re: aTallGuyNH]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
The last recital was the first time I've participated in the ABF quarterly recitals. Yet I've been lurking/intermittently posting for a few years.

It obviously took me a while to do it. At first, I was overwhelmed by the great talent. To be perfectly honest, I also felt overwhelmed at the thought listening to so many pieces and commenting on them(that's just what I feel obligated to do if I post my own piece). It didn't help that one of my biggest weakness in learning piano is polishing a piece. I probably wouldn't have even participated in the ABF quarterly recital if I hadn't been peer-pressured(hehehe) into filling in a spot in a themed recital. But I'll tell you what - the kind words and encouragement I received from forum members after posting my first recording made me want to participate more. It's certainly a confidence builder - after you post your first piece, warts and all, you find that people are still supportive. I've always known what a great bunch we have here, but taking that first step is such a major hurdle!
I don't think we need to separate the quarterly recital. It's fun listening to the different levels, and it's a great way to expose yourself to different styles and different composers. But another option, maybe, would be for a beginner to perhaps start an ongoing "true beginner" thread dedicated to people who feel overwhelmed by everyone else but want to try posting a piece. ( I know we have a monthly piano bar that's casual, but everyone there is super talented too!). Obviously a true beginner will have to step up and start it, but I think if you can get people past that first hurdle, it won't feel like such a big deal to participate in other things.

And that's my 2 cents. Feel free to toss it over your shoulder or stick in your car's ashtray for later:)

Edited by AimeeO (04/19/13 02:34 PM)

#2067178 - 04/19/13 03:14 PM Re: Can we kick some people off the Quarterly Recitals already?? [Re: aTallGuyNH]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
AimeeO, I really like your idea. thumb An ongoing "first recording" thread could very well be the low pressure and supportive environment that could be the tipping point to encourage newbies to participate. It would also require no extra work on anybody's part; all it would take is for somebody to start a thread. smile We could have such a thread stickied in the "Important Topics" thread as well.

#2067185 - 04/19/13 03:29 PM Re: Can we kick some people off the Quarterly Recitals already?? [Re: Monica K.]
Saranoya Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brussels, Belgium
Originally Posted By: Monica K.
AimeeO, I really like your idea. thumb An ongoing "first recording" thread could very well be the low pressure and supportive environment that could be the tipping point to encourage newbies to participate. It would also require no extra work on anybody's part; all it would take is for somebody to start a thread. smile We could have such a thread stickied in the "Important Topics" thread as well.

+1!

Even though I jumped way ahead and volunteered for a task that hadn't even been created yet not half a page ago, I actually agree with the "it ain't broke, so don't fix it" assessment of the quarterly recital as it exists today.

I do recognise, however, the intimidation factor involved in participating in the recital for the first time. An ongoing "first recording" thread could help alleviate that, by letting the 'newbies' experience first-hand what a supportive environment the ABF really is. And it would have none of the complications of trying to decide who goes where if we started a second recital.

Currently Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Burgmüller 100/3, 4, 7, 12, 15, 19, 25
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9

Future
Burgmüller 109
Bartok Sz 56
Mozart K331

#2067189 - 04/19/13 03:36 PM Re: Can we kick some people off the Quarterly Recitals already?? [Re: aTallGuyNH]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

I like the thread idea, too - it could be pointed to in lots of other threads when people are posting how new they are - informal, but definitely a "first timers" place.

Cathy

#2067197 - 04/19/13 03:47 PM Re: Can we kick some people off the Quarterly Recitals already?? [Re: Monica K.]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

I love it... great idea AimeeO!

Could one of us cheat and create it despite having recorded and posted previously? smile

XXIX-XXXII

#2067199 - 04/19/13 03:52 PM Re: Can we kick some people off the Quarterly Recitals already?? [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Ironic, eh?

smile

Yes it is ironic. Ironic in the fact that the person who originally started this thread referred to the seasoned members as OCD and wanted to kick them out of the recital because they were getting too good. Only kidding though...(sorta).

Funny thing is Tallguy, I can clearly remember your request in the last recital for members to give you only real, helpful feedback. No fluffy BS. So I honored your request and listened to your entire performance very carefully. I listened to it twice actually and then gave you my honest feedback at length in order to offer constructive feedback while providing you with positive reinforcement.

If we are to take your suggestion and toss the seasoned members, then the constructive feedback that you seeking won't be there because,...well,...you tossed us.

Now that's what I call ironic! Eh?

Well, for the record, I was completely kidding about kicking or tossing anyone out of anything. I hope that was clear. frown

The non-fluffy, real feedback I rec'd was greatly appreciated! (although I have been remiss in getting back to the thread to convey that in more detail than a general statement I made a couple weeks later)

XXIX-XXXII

#2067209 - 04/19/13 04:14 PM Re: Can we kick some people off the Quarterly Recitals already?? [Re: aTallGuyNH]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
I have never managed to actually make a submission to the online recital, but I would like to be kicked off please....barred for life if possible. grin

Then I won't feel so guilty for not participating. sick

Two other random thoughts:

1) This is a very dynamic group, meaning someone just starting out will improve an awful lot over the course of a year or two. Same with restarters just picking it up again. The concept of "beginner" is a moving target and can't really be defined. People are better than other people (at the moment)who are better than other people (at the moment) etc, etc....so what?

2) Simple is good. There's the piano bar for everyday stuff. There's quarterly ABF recitals if you're so inclined. And there's the Pianists Corner and Member Submission threads for truly advanced players, or people who would like to argue the finer points. If you don't feel you fit in anwhere in the current scheme, there is nothing stopping you from starting the "Play in Our Own Sandbox" thread for whatever purpose it would serve.

Estonia L190 #7284

#2067210 - 04/19/13 04:18 PM Re: Can we kick some people off the Quarterly Recitals already?? [Re: aTallGuyNH]
casinitaly Offline

I love it... great idea AimeeO!

Could one of us cheat and create it despite having recorded and posted previously? smile

I think AimeeO should create it. Even though she has already posted her first recording, it is her idea and she could introduce the idea and invite folks to post their first recording in PW! --- but only ONE as it has to be the first!

We could link it with a thread for instructions on how to record and upload- we certainly have a number of those!

Folks could be invited to re-state a bit of their personal history too, say how long they've been playing, what kind of piano--- similar stuff to what we put in the recital info when we submit.

Then just ast BBPlayer to sticky it!
Bingo! Voilà ! Ecco fatto!

#2067214 - 04/19/13 04:24 PM Re: Can we kick some people off the Quarterly Recitals already?? [Re: casinitaly]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Ecco fatto!

Well, we have an Ecco Cafe here that serves gelato, and it certainly makes me fat! Don't know how it's connected to first recordings, tho laugh

Cathy

#2067218 - 04/19/13 04:30 PM Re: Can we kick some people off the Quarterly Recitals already?? [Re: jotur]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: jotur
Ecco fatto!

Well, we have an Ecco Cafe here that serves gelato, and it certainly makes me fat! Don't know how it's connected to first recordings, tho laugh

Cathy

Ecco Cafe would mean "Here's the Coffee" (though it would be written "caffè" in Italian. Ecco fatto means "There, it's done!"

#2067219 - 04/19/13 04:32 PM Re: Can we kick some people off the Quarterly Recitals already?? [Re: aTallGuyNH]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

So it's related,I bet, to "Ecce homo", no?

Cathy

#2067223 - 04/19/13 04:38 PM Re: Can we kick some people off the Quarterly Recitals already?? [Re: jotur]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: jotur
So it's related,I bet, to "Ecce homo", no?

Cathy

Absolutely.

#2067259 - 04/19/13 05:32 PM Re: Can we kick some people off the Quarterly Recitals already?? [Re: casinitaly]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

I think AimeeO should create it. Even though she has already posted her first recording, it is her idea and she could introduce the idea and invite folks to post their first recording in PW! --- but only ONE as it has to be the first!

Very apropos... I hope AimeeO is game for doing that.

I hereby retract all my stupid ideas suggested above.

Is it too late to change the name of this thread to something less obnoxious?

XXIX-XXXII

#2067274 - 04/19/13 05:55 PM Re: Can we kick some people off the Quarterly Recitals already?? [Re: aTallGuyNH]
casinitaly Offline

Very apropos... I hope AimeeO is game for doing that.

I hereby retract all my stupid ideas suggested above.

You could report the post and ask a mod to do it, or you could write directly to Greg (BB PLayer) and ask him.
.....but what will the new title be? Ah , there's the rub.

#2067279 - 04/19/13 06:05 PM Re: Can we kick some people off the Quarterly Recitals already?? [Re: aTallGuyNH]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Liverpool, England
Well I am a true beginner and have only recorded myself on my mobile, and then found out I have a sound recorder programme on my netbook so recorded myself playing the first bar of the Bach minuet I am working on and it'd be AGES before I can play the first page let alone the second! But I do hope I will be able to play this piece and one day upload it. Or you can have me playing an Alfred's piece - badly!! blush

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2067296 - 04/19/13 06:27 PM Re: Can we kick some people off the Quarterly Recitals already?? [Re: casinitaly]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

You could report the post and ask a mod to do it, or you could write directly to Greg (BB PLayer) and ask him.
.....but what will the new title be? Ah , there's the rub.

How about this for a new title?: "Skip to Post# 2067157... please" smile

XXIX-XXXII

#2067300 - 04/19/13 06:39 PM Re: Can we kick some people off the Quarterly Recitals already?? [Re: aTallGuyNH]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
Maybe those of us who have been playing for some years rather should spend our efforts on themed recitals like the upcomng Mendelssohn recital. At least this can not be reserved for beginners only. I'd like to see a beginner (adult or not) playing the "Spinnerlied".

Or maybe a Veterans' Sandbox should be created. We are facing challenges different from the newbies, meeting the inevitable consequences of age. We can't expect to continue improving for ever, but more likely we'll have to face decaying skills.

Just some thoughts....

Edited by Ganddalf (04/19/13 06:40 PM)

#2067397 - 04/20/13 12:26 AM Re: Can we kick some people off the Quarterly Recitals already?? [Re: Ganddalf]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
Wow! I'm glad you guys like the idea. Monica and Cas, you've actually taken it in more directions than I was initially thinking, and I think they're excellent ideas that should be implemented. I have no problems starting the thread.. just give me a few days to finish and recover from the Mendelssohn recital(I am procrastinating as we speak!). I want to make sure I word it properly and have all my links in a row!

I was thinking about naming it, and think it would be kind of fun to take from Cas and Cathy and name it Ecco Fatto Cafe, because I think we all know those weird feelings of dread and relief after we submit, and the phrase "There, it's done!" sums it up quite nicely on many levels.

Any other suggestions anyone may have, whether they be related to name or ground rules, are more than welcome. smile

Originally Posted By: Ganddalf
Maybe those of us who have been playing for some years rather should spend our efforts on themed recitals like the upcomng Mendelssohn recital.

The themed recitals are fun! But I would rather see you more experienced players spend time on both, when time allows(it can be hard!), than rather. The variety of levels and genres make the quarterly recitals successful, and it would be missing something important if you stopped participating. After all, many of you have built it up to where it is now, and that's something to be proud of.

#2067405 - 04/20/13 12:47 AM Re: Can we kick some people off the Quarterly Recitals already?? [Re: Ganddalf]
Whizbang Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Ganddalf
Maybe those of us who have been playing for some years rather should spend our efforts on themed recitals like the upcomng Mendelssohn recital.

Ragtime recital?

#2067441 - 04/20/13 03:36 AM Re: Can we kick some people off the Quarterly Recitals already?? [Re: aTallGuyNH]
casinitaly Offline

AimeeO --- great! I will look forward to seeing your thread launched - and I think it is cool you're thinking of "Ecco Fatto Cafe" as the title. Of course it will take some explaining, but it sounds extremely friendly and inviting smile

I think now that we've seen several themed recitals appear there's a good chance that more will come along ----Whizbang ---a ragtime recital would be a hoot -and there are a lot of folks who play a bit of ragtime, at various levels. Why not start up a thread?

Gandalf, I don't think our vetran players should be restricted to the themed recitals - but the Vetran Sandbox has a certain logic to it. It is inevitable that a general thread talking about ...vision issues for example, might get a lot of replies from all and sundry -but if the word Vetran or senior is in the title that should flag it to those it is meant for.

Seems to me that this thread has brought about a delicious number of positive comments and great ideas!

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
U.S. Treasury Auctioning Steinway Art Case Concert Grand
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
95 registered (angga888, Art_Vandelay, AndrewJCW, Anticlock, 28 invisible), 1369 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75487 Members
42 Forums
156079 Topics
2291993 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
4/4 measure in 3/4 time?
by caters
07/23/14 01:10 AM
Mac mini for software pianos?
by Mta88
07/23/14 01:10 AM
Installed an LX system on my Baldwin C
by SpectrumMan
07/23/14 12:04 AM
Join the false-beat revolution: get your wires straight!!!
by A443
07/22/14 11:15 PM
What brand of solid string to use?
by Grandpianoman
07/22/14 10:38 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission