2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
39 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,177 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 16 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
Originally Posted by stores
Patience.

Who are you addressing and why?

The question was "What are you practicing?"

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
Patience.

Who are you addressing and why?

The question was "What are you practicing?"

Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying. smile

Regards,

Polyphonist
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Measure 49 of Chopin's Andante spianato.

Also am digging around in Alkan, too, hoping to find something short and sweet I could do for his anniversary this year. I had a physical issue that prevented me from signing up for the e-cital, but it seemed to have faded sufficiently into the background that now I think I may be able to participate just a bit.

Originally Posted by wr

Also am digging around in Alkan, too, I had a physical issue that prevented me from signing up for the e-cital, now I think I may be able to participate just a bit.

Hi,

I couldn't help but to notice the word "e-cital" in your post and I wondered if it was a typo or an actual word. If it is an actual word, would you describe it? As you can see, I am kinda new.

Charles Peck (American)--Metropolitan
Debussy--various pieces
Grieg--various pieces
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I recently started practising Beethoven's sonata in C minor op. 10/1.

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Schubertslieder
Originally Posted by wr

Also am digging around in Alkan, too, I had a physical issue that prevented me from signing up for the e-cital, now I think I may be able to participate just a bit.

Hi,

I couldn't help but to notice the word "e-cital" in your post and I wondered if it was a typo or an actual word. If it is an actual word, would you describe it? As you can see, I am kinda new.

It's a forum event where members submit recordings through the site and they are compiled to form the "e-cital". smile It's like how e-mail is mail sent over the Internet.

Regards,

Polyphonist
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Faure-Attwood:Les Berceux(no recording available but here is the original song with its amazing lyrics and melody)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxdIr0gu9rQ

How flattering that you thought enough of the transcription to learn it yourself! laugh
There is a recording available, as part of the Husum festival compilation:
http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Danacord/DACOCD689
And I do have an MP3 recorded at a friend's house, if anyone would like it--be happy to provide a copy.

"I'm a concert pianist--that's a pretentious way of saying I'm unemployed at the moment."--Oscar Levant

http://www.youtube.com/kojiattwood
https://www.giftedmusicschool.org/
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Thracozaag
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Faure-Attwood:Les Berceux(no recording available but here is the original song with its amazing lyrics and melody)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxdIr0gu9rQ

How flattering that you thought enough of the transcription to learn it yourself! laugh
There is a recording available, as part of the Husum festival compilation:
http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Danacord/DACOCD689
And I do have an MP3 recorded at a friend's house, if anyone would like it--be happy to provide a copy.
Besides thanking you for making such a beautiful transcription, I should thank you for introducing me through your transcriptions to the song literature which I am still almost totally unfamiliar with.

I usually just ignore the "original versions" of lieder in favor of the piano transcriptions, but after listening to Janet Baker's recording of Les Berceux and even more so when I got the English translation of the lyrics, I was overwhelmed by its beauty.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 04/19/13 02:23 PM.
Polyphonist, thanks for clarifying "e-cital".

Debussy--various pieces
Grieg--various pieces
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Polyphonist, thanks for clarifying "e-cital".

No problem. smile

Regards,

Polyphonist
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My teacher is out of town for several weeks. My initial inclination was to go wild with trying out new pieces. Finally I have decided to go back and review everything I've learned in the last year. (Plus dabbling in some new pieces.) There are passages of Mozart that seem to absorb endless amounts of practice time, and now I've got the time and opportunity to devote myself to that. I also don't want to forget the Bach inventions and Chopin nocturnes.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Songs by Poulenc, Argento, Walton; my usual Bach P&F for the day (today's is D minor book II); Granados Los Requiebros (still...); Goldberg variations. smile

Du holde Kunst...
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Last night I had the pleasure of hearing live chamber music. My teacher was on the piano. After listening to his playing very carefully, I have decided to spend an entire week practicing a simple Bach minuet with the goals of conquering dynamic control, tension and expression without having to worry about difficulty. I also intend to learn how to create differences in color. The Chopin and the Beethoven and the Mozart will sleep this week.

Best regards,

Deborah
L
L
I'm returning to the piano after a pretty long (over a year) hiatus. What I have decided to work on for now:

Mozart Fantasia K 475
Haydn Concerto in D (practicing the last movement first)

I think I may pick out a Chopin Nocturne too. Pretty standard repertoire. Just getting back into piano, I feel a little lost as far as what to work on, but I've picked these pieces to start with. I used to be very interested in exploring less familiar rep, so I've really enjoyed reading through this thread.

I had a lot of technical limitations before that I still have to work on, so I wouldn't mind finding less technically demanding pieces. I find that my knowledge of less demanding, intermediate-ish rep is pretty lacking. We'll see how this goes.

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Earlier I mentioned music I'm learning for an upcoming CD. Some of it is so difficult it is giving me fits. It would be nice afterwards to settle into some major Liszt or something just to relax.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by wr

Hi,

I think someone here came up with the word, and we still use it. It's not really clearly defined other than being some kind of virtual recital. If you want to see an example of how they can work, check out this thread over in the ABF. It's about to go live. Most aren't that huge, though.

Here's the thread regarding the Alkan one I was talking about.

Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by wr

Hi,

I think someone here came up with the word, and we still use it. It's not really clearly defined other than being some kind of virtual recital. If you want to see an example of how they can work, check out this thread over in the ABF. It's about to go live. Most aren't that huge, though.

Here's the thread regarding the Alkan one I was talking about.

Thank you for the info. I wondered if someone can tell me where is ABF. I would love to see that concert.

Debussy--various pieces
Grieg--various pieces
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W

Thank you for the info. I wondered if someone can tell me where is ABF. I would love to see that concert.

ABF is just another forum here at PianoWorld - the initials stand for "Adult Beginners Forum". The link I gave takes you to a thread that is in that forum.

Wr thanks. I heard others saying they will be performing today on ABF. I wondered where I can get a hold of that show.

Debussy--various pieces
Grieg--various pieces
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Wr thanks. I heard others saying they will be performing today on ABF. I wondered where I can get a hold of that show.

I think all you need to do is just check back on the thread occasionally - I expect they'll give a link to it.

It's not really a "show" - once online, it'll be there for you to hear whenever you want, for a good long while.

Page 13 of 16 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission