2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Charles Cohen, 20/20 Vision, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,948 guests, and 249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 73 of 540 1 2 71 72 73 74 75 539 540
My AOTW was my recital performance! Not flawless, but I finished! I'm now working on Christmas music. My goal is too learn several pieces to play for my family and friends.

Piano obsession started November 2010.
Ragtime Butcher
Kayserburg U123
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Michael Taylor
My AOTW was my recital performance! Not flawless, but I finished! I'm now working on Christmas music. My goal is too learn several pieces to play for my family and friends.

Great idea, I should learn some Christmas songs too. grin

"You are the music while the music lasts" - T.S. Eliot
B
B
My AOTW is that I've memorized my "piece o' sonatina" (movement 3 of Clementi Op 36 #1, for anyone who hasn't read that over and over from me for the last 3 weeks... ) and can play it at reasonable speed with only a few flubs... at the point where any day now I think I'm going to have my first "no flubs" play-through. Maybe even later tonight, if I'm lucky.

My "COTW" (challenge of the week) is that I flubbed the first few measures of it in my lesson... which seems to be fairly predictable. smile After which, my instructor started having me play through the first phrase (8 measures) in "groups and rhythms"... which involves counting out loud and dwelling longer on one of the counts (eg 1 (pause)-2-3-4-5-6 and repeat, then 1-2(pause)-3-4-5-6 and repeat, etc... it's in 3/8 time so we were counting 1/8th notes) which I find devilishly hard on first (through 20th or so) pass...

Started playing: February 2011. Still having fun.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bessel
My AOTW is that I've memorized my "piece o' sonatina" (movement 3 of Clementi Op 36 #1, for anyone who hasn't read that over and over from me for the last 3 weeks... ) and can play it at reasonable speed with only a few flubs... at the point where any day now I think I'm going to have my first "no flubs" play-through. Maybe even later tonight, if I'm lucky.

My "COTW" (challenge of the week) is that I flubbed the first few measures of it in my lesson... which seems to be fairly predictable. smile After which, my instructor started having me play through the first phrase (8 measures) in "groups and rhythms"... which involves counting out loud and dwelling longer on one of the counts (eg 1 (pause)-2-3-4-5-6 and repeat, then 1-2(pause)-3-4-5-6 and repeat, etc... it's in 3/8 time so we were counting 1/8th notes) which I find devilishly hard on first (through 20th or so) pass...

Great job!!

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Lots of good stuff to catch up on here.... one thing that caught my attention and is quick to comment on ...."COTW"...Challenge of the Week . I LIKE IT!

MY COTW is the Bflat scale....(ok, it was last week's challenge too, maybe I'm very challenged smile )

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My achievement of the week is memorizing the first (easy) part of Fur Elise.
My COTW is playing the E octaves as quickly as they ought to be played. Everything else is pretty smooth, but the E octaves sound clunky.

I hate the B minor scale. I have hated it for many many many weeks. I am even playing a piece written in the key of B minor. Love the piece, hate the scale.

Christine

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Lain
Originally Posted by Michael Taylor

Great idea, I should learn some Christmas songs too. grin

+1 thumb

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Christine,

Re B-minor scales. Is it the fingering you hate? I love the sound of pieces in B-minor with its dark, brooding harmonizations.

I must have spent too much time reading the thread about playing poorly at lessons, because I kinda stunk it up today. Easy little Schubert Ecossaise had a rhythm error baked in (arrrrrgggg), and my playing of the Franck piece HT for her wasn't even close to what I was doing at home this morning (arrrrrgh). Oh, well, some days it just goes like that. At least my scales and arps got complimented.

Sonatina decision put off a week while I go to the woodshed on the Schubert and Franck. Also starting Handel's Sarabande and Variations HWV437 this week. SOW is A-flat Major. We looked over the Christmas book I played out of last year - the Vince Guaraldi "Charlie Brown Christmas" one that has been linked here before. There's some really nice jazzy arrangements in there. Does anyone know of a good arrangement of the song "Santa Baby" - you know the one, its kind of a humorous adult christmas song?

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi all,

The last few weeks I thought piano is too difficult for me. But maybe I choose too difficult pieces. Anyway, blaming the pieces and not me is more convenient.

Für Elise : if this is a beginner piece, then I have a long way to go. *sigh* I find the fast pieces very difficult. Now I'm working on the last few fast measures. It's quite hard.

Granados - changed the way doing the triller for the 8th time. I certainly hope this is the last time. Working for months on it, but I'm now half way.

Dark Eyes Boogie - I can play 7 measures after intro at half speed. Yay!

Tchaikovsky - In Church - i can play the whole piece. Now I have to study on musicality and dynamics. That's always the most fun part.

@Ataru074 - I hope you'll keep the piano. I don't know what to say... You are so unlucky.

Chris

Playing since May 02 2009
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Paperclip
Hi all,

The last few weeks I thought piano is too difficult for me. But maybe I choose too difficult pieces. Anyway, blaming the pieces and not me is more convenient.

Für Elise : if this is a beginner piece, then I have a long way to go. *sigh* I find the fast pieces very difficult. Now I'm working on the last few fast measures. It's quite hard.

Granados - changed the way doing the triller for the 8th time. I certainly hope this is the last time. Working for months on it, but I'm now half way.

Dark Eyes Boogie - I can play 7 measures after intro at half speed. Yay!

Tchaikovsky - In Church - i can play the whole piece. Now I have to study on musicality and dynamics. That's always the most fun part.

@Ataru074 - I hope you'll keep the piano. I don't know what to say... You are so unlucky.

You're working on four pieces simultaneously? That's an achievement!

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Paperclip

It isn't (a beginner piece). In my opinion it's been seriously mislabeled as such. Sure the bit that everyone knows is easy, once you get the left hand mini leap smooth. But the rest. That's hard work.

(Admission: Hard work I've never done. I've picked up the piece a couple of times, realized that it needs more attention than I have to give at the time and shelved it).

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
It isn't (a beginner piece).

+1

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Hi all, I miss my piano and piano forum. Now i am on the 26th floor of my company building. The Yamaha grand is right there but there are still some maintenance workers working at 8:45 PM! I don't know what they are doing.. It looks like they are fixing the floor. I asked if I could practice the piano. They said with a strong Italian accent that I will let you know when we are done. Well, so, I am waiting..

I find myself in sometimes odd and many times wonderful situation in my quest to practice piano while I am on the road. I am strongly hoping that this is one of the wonderful situations. I will see. They kinda sound scary. They are yelling at each other to communicate. I am actually not that brave. I wish I did not need to use that piano but that's the only piano I know I could practice at this time of the night (safely) on Manhattan.

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Not an AOTW yet, since I am stil waiting and I may not have an opportunity to practice tonight. But I just wanted you to know that there are so many good people. One of the cleaning lady on the floor, perhaps in her 70's, came to me and told me that I better go home.. The light will be off soon. So I explained to her in my very limited Spanish that I am waiting for the piano over there. There are still some workers and I am waiting for them to go. She told me, "Piano, ah que linda, me gusta mucho.." and held my hand and smiled. She is still there. I'm afraid if she might be waiting for me.. for my safety... Maybe I am thinking too much but her concern to this stranger was touching.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
Not an AOTW yet, since I am stil waiting and I may not have an opportunity to practice tonight. But I just wanted you to know that there are so many good people. One of the cleaning lady on the floor, perhaps in her 70's, came to me and told me that I better go home.. The light will be off soon. So I explained to her in my very limited Spanish that I am waiting for the piano over there. There are still some workers and I am waiting for them to go. She told me, "Piano, ah que linda, me gusta mucho.." and held my hand and smiled. She is still there. I'm afraid if she might be waiting for me.. for my safety... Maybe I am thinking too much but her concern to this stranger was touching.

Hey, we're concerned for your safety too! Don't practice too late!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Lain
You're working on four pieces simultaneously? That's an achievement!

Hey, you're right. I've never done it before. I didn't notice the achievement until you said it. Thx.

Originally Posted by Andy Platt
It isn't (a beginner piece).

The piece invites some people to start playing piano. No wonder they don't finish it.

She told me, "Piano, ah que linda, me gusta mucho.." and held my hand and smiled.

Awww, I love that smile

Chris

Playing since May 02 2009
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Hi Lain, i am ok. I could not practice yesterday but today I did to my heart's satisfaction. The same cleaning woman come to my meeting room on the same floor around 6:00 PM and told me that those scary guys aren't there today and I could practice:) She was so nice. I tried but could not close a large door to the hall way. My company's Toastmasters competition was going on and I did not want to disturb them. Looking at what I was doing, the cleaning woman came to rescue me again with a set of keys, close the door and smiled at me. She then disappeared from my sight. I am wondering if she could have been my guardian angel. I told myself, nah.. I am inclined to be selfish and I should be the last person any holy kind may take time to visit.

I was kind of inspired by the whole thing so I did all three forms of e minor scales, arpegio, Hanon 49, Rach 23-5 and worked on memorizing Pathetique 2nd movement. The only short coming of the Yamaha grand in my company is that there is no music holder.. I don't know what it is called but, you know, there is the thing to hold our music scores on each grand piano. I opened the lid but there was not a thing that ccould be used to hold my music. I had to place my music on the lid of the piano and take a peek at it from time to time. It was hard, so I decided to memorize at least the Beethoven piece. Maybe i am thinking too much.. but I feel like that I am destined to memorise this piece.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I am wondering if she could have been my guardian angel.
smile

Sounds like you had a great practice session! I guess it had to make up for a lot of missed ones.

I don't know what it is called but, you know, there is the thing to hold our music scores on each grand piano.
The "music desk"?

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Lain, i am ok. I could not practice yesterday but today I did to my heart's satisfaction. The same cleaning woman come to my meeting room on the same floor around 6:00 PM and told me that those scary guys aren't there today and I could practice:) She was so nice. I tried but could not close a large door to the hall way. My company's Toastmasters competition was going on and I did not want to disturb them. Looking at what I was doing, the cleaning woman came to rescue me again with a set of keys, close the door and smiled at me. She then disappeared from my sight. I am wondering if she could have been my guardian angel. I told myself, nah.. I am inclined to be selfish and I should be the last person any holy kind may take time to visit.

I was kind of inspired by the whole thing so I did all three forms of e minor scales, arpegio, Hanon 49, Rach 23-5 and worked on memorizing Pathetique 2nd movement. The only short coming of the Yamaha grand in my company is that there is no music holder.. I don't know what it is called but, you know, there is the thing to hold our music scores on each grand piano. I opened the lid but there was not a thing that ccould be used to hold my music. I had to place my music on the lid of the piano and take a peek at it from time to time. It was hard, so I decided to memorize at least the Beethoven piece. Maybe i am thinking too much.. but I feel like that I am destined to memorise this piece.

Wow, what a day! I'm so glad you got to practice!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
(...) The only short coming of the Yamaha grand in my company is that there is no music holder.. (...)

So, you HAVE a grand piano in your company and you are upset because you didn't found the music holder... OMG, what a concern..
Now, serious, you have much luck because in my country it's unthinkable companies have pianos or leisure rooms for employees... It is a matter of (poor) mentality... Your lucky.

Last edited by CarlosCC; 10/13/11 04:52 AM. Reason: Some companies have small leisure rooms, but the intention is employees to do not spend much time there...

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
Page 73 of 540 1 2 71 72 73 74 75 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission