2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, 5 invisible), 1,131 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
A

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
A
The last recital was the first time I've participated in the ABF quarterly recitals. Yet I've been lurking/intermittently posting for a few years.

It obviously took me a while to do it. At first, I was overwhelmed by the great talent. To be perfectly honest, I also felt overwhelmed at the thought listening to so many pieces and commenting on them(that's just what I feel obligated to do if I post my own piece). It didn't help that one of my biggest weakness in learning piano is polishing a piece. I probably wouldn't have even participated in the ABF quarterly recital if I hadn't been peer-pressured(hehehe) into filling in a spot in a themed recital. But I'll tell you what - the kind words and encouragement I received from forum members after posting my first recording made me want to participate more. It's certainly a confidence builder - after you post your first piece, warts and all, you find that people are still supportive. I've always known what a great bunch we have here, but taking that first step is such a major hurdle!
I don't think we need to separate the quarterly recital. It's fun listening to the different levels, and it's a great way to expose yourself to different styles and different composers. But another option, maybe, would be for a beginner to perhaps start an ongoing "true beginner" thread dedicated to people who feel overwhelmed by everyone else but want to try posting a piece. ( I know we have a monthly piano bar that's casual, but everyone there is super talented too!). Obviously a true beginner will have to step up and start it, but I think if you can get people past that first hurdle, it won't feel like such a big deal to participate in other things.

And that's my 2 cents. Feel free to toss it over your shoulder or stick in your car's ashtray for later:)

Last edited by AimeeO; 04/19/13 02:34 PM.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
AimeeO, I really like your idea. thumb An ongoing "first recording" thread could very well be the low pressure and supportive environment that could be the tipping point to encourage newbies to participate. It would also require no extra work on anybody's part; all it would take is for somebody to start a thread. smile We could have such a thread stickied in the "Important Topics" thread as well.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Monica K.
AimeeO, I really like your idea. thumb An ongoing "first recording" thread could very well be the low pressure and supportive environment that could be the tipping point to encourage newbies to participate. It would also require no extra work on anybody's part; all it would take is for somebody to start a thread. smile We could have such a thread stickied in the "Important Topics" thread as well.

+1!

Even though I jumped way ahead and volunteered for a task that hadn't even been created yet not half a page ago, I actually agree with the "it ain't broke, so don't fix it" assessment of the quarterly recital as it exists today.

I do recognise, however, the intimidation factor involved in participating in the recital for the first time. An ongoing "first recording" thread could help alleviate that, by letting the 'newbies' experience first-hand what a supportive environment the ABF really is. And it would have none of the complications of trying to decide who goes where if we started a second recital.

Plodding through piano music at a frustratingly slow pace since 9/2012.

Standard disclaimer: I teach many things. Piano is not one of them.
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I like the thread idea, too - it could be pointed to in lots of other threads when people are posting how new they are - informal, but definitely a "first timers" place.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member

I love it... great idea AimeeO!

Could one of us cheat and create it despite having recorded and posted previously? smile

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mr Super-Hunky
Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH
This is a true community. Why would we want to split up this community for the sake of something as trivial as our differing piano skills?

Ironic, eh?

smile

Yes it is ironic. Ironic in the fact that the person who originally started this thread referred to the seasoned members as OCD and wanted to kick them out of the recital because they were getting too good. Only kidding though...(sorta).

Funny thing is Tallguy, I can clearly remember your request in the last recital for members to give you only real, helpful feedback. No fluffy BS. So I honored your request and listened to your entire performance very carefully. I listened to it twice actually and then gave you my honest feedback at length in order to offer constructive feedback while providing you with positive reinforcement.

If we are to take your suggestion and toss the seasoned members, then the constructive feedback that you seeking won't be there because,...well,...you tossed us.

Now that's what I call ironic! Eh?

Well, for the record, I was completely kidding about kicking or tossing anyone out of anything. I hope that was clear. frown

The non-fluffy, real feedback I rec'd was greatly appreciated! (although I have been remiss in getting back to the thread to convey that in more detail than a general statement I made a couple weeks later)

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I have never managed to actually make a submission to the online recital, but I would like to be kicked off please....barred for life if possible. grin

Then I won't feel so guilty for not participating. sick

Two other random thoughts:

1) This is a very dynamic group, meaning someone just starting out will improve an awful lot over the course of a year or two. Same with restarters just picking it up again. The concept of "beginner" is a moving target and can't really be defined. People are better than other people (at the moment)who are better than other people (at the moment) etc, etc....so what?

2) Simple is good. There's the piano bar for everyday stuff. There's quarterly ABF recitals if you're so inclined. And there's the Pianists Corner and Member Submission threads for truly advanced players, or people who would like to argue the finer points. If you don't feel you fit in anwhere in the current scheme, there is nothing stopping you from starting the "Play in Our Own Sandbox" thread for whatever purpose it would serve.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member

I love it... great idea AimeeO!

Could one of us cheat and create it despite having recorded and posted previously? smile

I think AimeeO should create it. Even though she has already posted her first recording, it is her idea and she could introduce the idea and invite folks to post their first recording in PW! --- but only ONE as it has to be the first!

We could link it with a thread for instructions on how to record and upload- we certainly have a number of those!

Folks could be invited to re-state a bit of their personal history too, say how long they've been playing, what kind of piano--- similar stuff to what we put in the recital info when we submit.

Then just ast BBPlayer to sticky it!
Bingo! Voilà ! Ecco fatto!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by casinitaly
Ecco fatto!

Well, we have an Ecco Cafe here that serves gelato, and it certainly makes me fat! Don't know how it's connected to first recordings, tho laugh

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jotur
Ecco fatto!

Well, we have an Ecco Cafe here that serves gelato, and it certainly makes me fat! Don't know how it's connected to first recordings, tho laugh

Cathy

Ecco Cafe would mean "Here's the Coffee" (though it would be written "caffè" in Italian. Ecco fatto means "There, it's done!"

[Linked Image]

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
So it's related,I bet, to "Ecce homo", no?

Cathy

Cathy

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jotur
So it's related,I bet, to "Ecce homo", no?

Cathy

Absolutely.

[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I think AimeeO should create it. Even though she has already posted her first recording, it is her idea and she could introduce the idea and invite folks to post their first recording in PW! --- but only ONE as it has to be the first!

Very apropos... I hope AimeeO is game for doing that.

I hereby retract all my stupid ideas suggested above.

Is it too late to change the name of this thread to something less obnoxious?

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member

Very apropos... I hope AimeeO is game for doing that.

I hereby retract all my stupid ideas suggested above.

You could report the post and ask a mod to do it, or you could write directly to Greg (BB PLayer) and ask him.
.....but what will the new title be? Ah , there's the rub.

[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well I am a true beginner and have only recorded myself on my mobile, and then found out I have a sound recorder programme on my netbook so recorded myself playing the first bar of the Bach minuet I am working on and it'd be AGES before I can play the first page let alone the second! But I do hope I will be able to play this piece and one day upload it. Or you can have me playing an Alfred's piece - badly!! blush

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member

You could report the post and ask a mod to do it, or you could write directly to Greg (BB PLayer) and ask him.
.....but what will the new title be? Ah , there's the rub.

How about this for a new title?: "Skip to Post# 2067157... please" smile

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Maybe those of us who have been playing for some years rather should spend our efforts on themed recitals like the upcomng Mendelssohn recital. At least this can not be reserved for beginners only. I'd like to see a beginner (adult or not) playing the "Spinnerlied".

Or maybe a Veterans' Sandbox should be created. We are facing challenges different from the newbies, meeting the inevitable consequences of age. We can't expect to continue improving for ever, but more likely we'll have to face decaying skills.

Just some thoughts....

Last edited by Ganddalf; 04/19/13 06:40 PM.
A

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
A
Wow! I'm glad you guys like the idea. Monica and Cas, you've actually taken it in more directions than I was initially thinking, and I think they're excellent ideas that should be implemented. I have no problems starting the thread.. just give me a few days to finish and recover from the Mendelssohn recital(I am procrastinating as we speak!). I want to make sure I word it properly and have all my links in a row!

I was thinking about naming it, and think it would be kind of fun to take from Cas and Cathy and name it Ecco Fatto Cafe, because I think we all know those weird feelings of dread and relief after we submit, and the phrase "There, it's done!" sums it up quite nicely on many levels.

Any other suggestions anyone may have, whether they be related to name or ground rules, are more than welcome. smile

Originally Posted by Ganddalf
Maybe those of us who have been playing for some years rather should spend our efforts on themed recitals like the upcomng Mendelssohn recital.

The themed recitals are fun! But I would rather see you more experienced players spend time on both, when time allows(it can be hard!), than rather. The variety of levels and genres make the quarterly recitals successful, and it would be missing something important if you stopped participating. After all, many of you have built it up to where it is now, and that's something to be proud of.

W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Ganddalf
Maybe those of us who have been playing for some years rather should spend our efforts on themed recitals like the upcomng Mendelssohn recital.

Ragtime recital?

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
AimeeO --- great! I will look forward to seeing your thread launched - and I think it is cool you're thinking of "Ecco Fatto Cafe" as the title. Of course it will take some explaining, but it sounds extremely friendly and inviting smile

I think now that we've seen several themed recitals appear there's a good chance that more will come along ----Whizbang ---a ragtime recital would be a hoot -and there are a lot of folks who play a bit of ragtime, at various levels. Why not start up a thread?

Gandalf, I don't think our vetran players should be restricted to the themed recitals - but the Vetran Sandbox has a certain logic to it. It is inevitable that a general thread talking about ...vision issues for example, might get a lot of replies from all and sundry -but if the word Vetran or senior is in the title that should flag it to those it is meant for.

Seems to me that this thread has brought about a delicious number of positive comments and great ideas!

[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission