Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#2067128 - 04/19/13 01:19 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Riddler]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: Riddler
Originally Posted By: casinitaly

Personally, I'd like to have Sean Connery as my gps guide!

Be careful about flirting with the GPS person. Be very careful.

Personally, I've never been good at navigating. Got lost once in a town with only two streets. So my wife has always been our navigator. She's good at it, she's proud of it. She has successfully guided us in all our travels. But when GPS came along, and I started listening to the GPS lady instead of my wife,... well, you can guess what kind of resentments and suspicions this gave rise to. I tell ya, I'm on the defensive now. How often do I have to say it? "Honestly, honey, I do NOT have a thing going with that GPS lady!!!"

Once in a while I deliberately ignore GPS lady. It is worth getting lost, just to allay suspicions.

Ed

LOL Good advice Ed -

Most of the time I am the navigator, not the GPS lady. Sometimes I shout to my husband -"Don't listen to her!" --- and he, wise man that he is - ignores her.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2067305 - 04/19/13 07:14 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Riddler]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
"Honestly, honey, I do NOT have a thing going with that GPS lady!!!"

Once in a while I deliberately ignore GPS lady. It is worth getting lost, just to allay suspicions.

Ed

smile

My wife strongly dislikes "Jane" my English GPS lady - it has something to do with the fact that she got us lost in Portland, Maine a couple of years ago - we were trying to bypass the city and ended up downtown - she kept saying "take the motorway" (which is English for freeway or expressway or interstate) and I did, but there were too many interconnected motorways and either Jane or I got confused (I'd like to think it was her) - my wife has never forgiven her - now when we travel she refuses to get assistance from Jane, but instead taunts her (and me) by saying things like "are you going to take the motorway here?"

But, I still have faith in Jane - when I'm driving alone I even use her during trips where I know exactly where I'm going and how to get there - her voice is so, well, a, er, reassuring...

Edited by TrapperJohn (04/19/13 07:14 PM)

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#2067444 - 04/20/13 03:43 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: TrapperJohn
"Honestly, honey, I do NOT have a thing going with that GPS lady!!!"

Ed

smile

My wife strongly dislikes "Jane" my English GPS lady - it has something to do with the fact that she got us lost in Portland, Maine a couple of years ago - we were trying to bypass the city and ended up downtown - she kept saying "take the motorway" (which is English for freeway or expressway or interstate) and I did, but there were too many interconnected motorways and either Jane or I got confused (I'd like to think it was her) - my wife has never forgiven her - now when we travel she refuses to get assistance from Jane, but instead taunts her (and me) by saying things like "are you going to take the motorway here?"

But, I still have faith in Jane - when I'm driving alone I even use her during trips where I know exactly where I'm going and how to get there - her voice is so, well, a, er, reassuring...

lol.... Ours, which we call Nagging Nellie (because when we don't listen to her she nags us to turn around and go back), has never really lead us astray, but she too likes to try to send us up on the "autostrada"(highway) too much for my liking. There should be a way to turn off the selection of toll roads but I can't find it on mine. On two or three occasions she's helped us find beautifully scenic routes to travel...There are good days and bad with Nellie.

(We seem to have hijacked the thread...but it's your thread..hmmm, maybe we should get back on track (Oh, I sound like Nellie!)

#2067921 - 04/21/13 08:30 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: casinitaly]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

(We seem to have hijacked the thread...but it's your thread..hmmm, maybe we should get back on track (Oh, I sound like Nellie!)

OK Nellie - back on track - what was the topic? Oh yes, the Recital - my piece is now recorded - 3 times - can't figure out which is best (or least worst...) - still time for a better 4th - one of the advantages of missing a Recital - 6 months to polish your piece - sometimes still not enough...the other question - will another contentious current thread in the ABF cause complications? Probably not, but it's nice to have a little contention - just to break the monotony and stir up the blood...

#2067963 - 04/21/13 11:03 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
casinitaly Offline

Do you find that other thread contentious? I don't think it is -I think some great things have come out of it.

I've been practicing like mad the past few days and my piece is coming along very nicely.

Plus the tune is scheduled for 30 April - I hope that on 1 May I'll be able to get a good recording!

#2067999 - 04/21/13 12:10 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bulgaria
Great news for me. This time I will make it. I am recording a Debussy piece that is not so well known. At least not as much as Clair De Lune. I'm giving myself time till a couple of days before the date and I will record it. Whatever happens happens smile

Recitals:

#2068061 - 04/21/13 02:19 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Wondered what this posting was about. May 5 recital? Dammit, I`ll need a new woolly hat for that . . . . not to mention a tune . . . when d`ya book it in for? And to who?

""

#2068073 - 04/21/13 02:42 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: casinitaly]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Do you find that other thread contentious?

Well, I would say, overall, the participants seem rather more chafed than chuffed. smile

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2068139 - 04/21/13 04:45 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: peterws]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: peterws
Wondered what this posting was about. May 5 recital? Dammit, I`ll need a new woolly hat for that . . . . not to mention a tune . . . when d`ya book it in for? And to who?

Oh Peter, you're out ot the loop. Let me lasso you back in smile

Here in ABF we have quarterly recitals.
They happen in February, May, August, November.
Call for submissions is on the 1st of the month and you can submit any time til 9pm EST on the 14th.
The recital opens for listening on the 15th.

I think we're on number 28 now.
You can check out previous recitals here, at the wonderful index prepared by SamS :

ABF Recital Index

They're loads of fun!

TallGuy: I get it smile

#2068188 - 04/21/13 06:47 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
ElleC Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
I'm assuming there's going to be another thread for this come May 1st? Otherwise, where/who do we submit our piece to? Also, does it have to be video as well as audio or audio only will suffice?

#2068200 - 04/21/13 07:31 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: ElleC]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ElleC
I'm assuming there's going to be another thread for this come May 1st? Otherwise, where/who do we submit our piece to? Also, does it have to be video as well as audio or audio only will suffice?
Audio only is just fine. Some people take video of themselves playing, others make a production of some degree or another. Many just listen to the audio and skip the videos entirely, so there should be zero pressure on that aspect (or any other for that matter).

The call for submissions will look quite like this: ABF Quarterly Recital #29

XXIX-XXXII

#2068216 - 04/21/13 08:25 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Well, I have "a" recording. But I hate recording. Not because I make mistakes - I don't make any more mistakes than anyone else. But it is such a nuisance - I have to take everything apart and move it into the office, where the computer is, and then reassemble it, plus get out the cable to hook it up. But there's no way to reach the computer comfortably from the keyboard, and I have to wear headphones, and they not only sound crappy, they sound out of tune so I'm never sure I've even played the right notes, and it's absolutely not my favorite thing to do. And then, if I want to do it more than one session I have to move the bench and the computer chair around, and I can't get around the keyboard to get to anything. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it.

So I have one more weekend, but I'm not sure it's worth the aggravation. Snort.

So you may have to put up with whatever I've got.

In my next life I'm going to be rich and I'll be able to afford a set up that's easy and good.

Cathy

#2068232 - 04/21/13 08:55 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
dynamobt Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
I ordered a Zoom H2n today from Sweetwater.com. I hope to have it figured out in time to record something to submit. I'm clearly very optimistic that I will get the hang of the thing because I downloaded Audacity tonight too!! I am determined to be able to join in on these recitals if not in May then the next one!!

#2068242 - 04/21/13 09:04 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: jotur]
Sand Tiger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: jotur
Well, I have "a" recording. But I hate recording. Not because I make mistakes - I don't make any more mistakes than anyone else. But it is such a nuisance - I have to take everything apart and move it into the office, where the computer is, and then reassemble it, plus get out the cable to hook it up. ...

In my next life I'm going to be rich and I'll be able to afford a set up that's easy and good.

Cathy

Hi Cathy, not sure what kind of set up you have. However, many use a portable recording device. Many on the forum have a Zoom brand device. A few have a Tascam. I use a Sony. Depending on how many features and what kind of quality a person desires, the cost might be $40 to $400 (on up if a person wants fancy). I am the low end with a used Sony voice recorder and am happy with the audio quality. A bonus is that I can use it to make field recordings.

#2068246 - 04/21/13 09:07 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
I know, Sand Tiger, but at the minute $40 for a recording device is for someone rich smile

Thanks for the concern, tho.

Cathy

#2068260 - 04/21/13 09:39 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Andy Platt Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Got a few more recordings today. The last one was close, very close, but a couple of very audible gaffes mean I'll have to keep going.

Kawai K3

#2068344 - 04/22/13 12:11 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Crap - not sure I'm gonna make this one. frown

#2068432 - 04/22/13 02:57 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
FarmGirl Online   content

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Sheesh! You guys are amazing. Cannot believe some of you already recorded your work. I should be doing it but have not done it yet. I will submit Bach prelude and fugue. Will start recording this week.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2069011 - 04/23/13 12:34 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: BenPiano]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BenPiano
Crap - not sure I'm gonna make this one. frown

May I suggest "The Secretary"? Most here have not heard it... I'm pretty sure. And I'm certain it would be well received.

XXIX-XXXII

#2069379 - 04/23/13 02:31 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: aTallGuyNH]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Yeah! I got a good take on my first try today! However, I sent it to my teacher and I am sure she can find things that I could improve. So, maybe I won't celebrate yet....

Working on:
Handel - Allemande in A Minor
Bach - Inv. #14
Beethoven - Sonata #79 2nd mvmt
Kuhlau op. 88 - 3

#2069420 - 04/23/13 03:53 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
The call-for-submissions is creeping up so soon. Just mailed my tech, hopefully he has time to tune and fix my piano!

And in the meantime, I got to fix a few more issues with my recital piece laugh

#2069694 - 04/24/13 12:43 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
Decided to re-record my Mendelssohn piece for the recital. I feel like I'm cheating! But my ending was so jumbled due to tension - and each subsequent recording got even worse! I think I need to break that section back down and build it back up.

#2069844 - 04/24/13 09:31 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: AimeeO]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: AimeeO
Decided to re-record my Mendelssohn piece for the recital. I feel like I'm cheating! But my ending was so jumbled due to tension - and each subsequent recording got even worse! I think I need to break that section back down and build it back up.

AimeeO - that's not cheating - it's a dedicated pianist's desire for self-improvement - now, if you submitted it to Ecco Fatto, or if you had Mendelssohn record it for you, that would be cheating (but good luck with that last one laugh )

#2069849 - 04/24/13 09:37 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: AimeeO]
Andy Platt Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: AimeeO

I read an article on Gramophone's website about the Berlin Phil recording the Rite of Spring:

Originally Posted By: Gramophone
Like virtually all of the orchestra’s recordings under Rattle’s tenure, Rite will be released as a live recording. The process is more complicated than the name ‘Live Recording’ implies, much more than just taping the performance. They record all the performances of the concert (three, in this case), as well as the dress rehearsal (a pre-take to catch the quiet moments) and then have a patch session afterwards, if need be.

Well, if they can do that for a live recording, all bets are off for the ABF recital! wink

Kawai K3

#2069959 - 04/24/13 12:31 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Andy Platt]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sort of begs the question as to what exactly they wouldn't consider to be "live" in that case?

XXIX-XXXII

#2070054 - 04/24/13 04:04 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
I'm not sure if I'm kicked out of the quarterly recital or not (haven't been following the thread about that subject for a while). If I'm allowed to participate I plan to perform Norwegian music, and it is not going to be flawlessly.

#2070067 - 04/24/13 04:29 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Ganddalf]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Ganddalf
I'm not sure if I'm kicked out of the quarterly recital or not (haven't been following the thread about that subject for a while). If I'm allowed to participate

I keep looking for a smiley face/wink when I've seen people posting comments like this... but there isn't one, unfortunately.

Nobody is talking about kicking anyone off of anything. It was hyperbole (which I regret), for the sake of provoking discussion.

frown

XXIX-XXXII

#2070068 - 04/24/13 04:31 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: aTallGuyNH]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: aTallGuyNH
Originally Posted By: Ganddalf
I'm not sure if I'm kicked out of the quarterly recital or not (haven't been following the thread about that subject for a while). If I'm allowed to participate

I keep looking for a smiley face/wink when I've seen people posting comments like this... but there isn't one, unfortunately.

Nobody is talking about kicking anyone off of anything. It was hyperbole (which I regret), for the sake of provoking discussion.

frown

My computer is a dying cow, otherwise ATallGuy would not have beat me to the punch in telling you that there's no way you, or anyone else, is "kicked off".

We will be delighted to hear your Norwegian submission!

#2070078 - 04/24/13 04:42 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: aTallGuyNH]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
[quote=aTallGuyNH

frown [/quote]

Of course I understand that. And just to make everything clear - I don't always add a smiley when I'm joking. smile smile smile

I made a first recording of my piece just an hour ago.I hope, however,that I can do better. Next time I'll play Bach for 30 minutes before I make an attempt.

Edited by Ganddalf (04/24/13 04:42 PM)

#2070086 - 04/24/13 04:55 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Michael Taylor Offline

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
I'm planning to make my first appearance on the recital stage. I bought a Zoom recorder and plan to have a version of The Non-Pareil be Scott Joplin. I have already resigned myself to the fact that there will be a few flubs.....my goal is to keep them to a minimum! My wife was listening to one of my recording and actually gave me a compliment!
http://www.youtube.com/user/michaelt3032

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
has anyone tried the Focal alpha 50s or 65s for monitoring?
by dire tonic
09/30/14 11:54 AM
2015 Concerto Competition "Theodor Leschetizky" NY
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:49 AM
Valletta International Piano Competition, Velletta, Malta
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:45 AM
Cleveland International Piano Competition
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:42 AM
International Junior Piano Competition & Festival
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:35 AM
Who's Online
145 registered (36251, analarana, accordeur, ajames, 39 invisible), 1558 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76376 Members
42 Forums
157889 Topics
2318801 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission