Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#2067482 - 04/20/13 07:01 AM European Piano Party
Saranoya Online   content

Loc: Brussels, Belgium
OK, so ... this idea started life as my response to adultpia ist's call for kindred piano-loving spirits in and around London. And then it quickly morphed into something else entirely. I figured it deserved its own thread (sorry for hijacking yours, adultpianist!).

So, the basic idea is this: some time this summer (I'm thinking a Saturday in late July, perhaps late August?), interested ABF regulars would gather somewhere in Europe (preferably in a major and easily accessible city) to meet and greet, share their music, and generally have some good, old-fashioned face-to-face time. Food and beverages included. I'm thinking Brussels, but only because that's where I happen to live. This is definitely up for debate.

If we want to do this, we're going to need a few things:

- At least four or five interested people (but the more, the merrier). Casinitaly, SwissMS, Allard, PaperClip, Torquenale, Sinophilia, Boira, JonathonRose, Toastie, Kristina: I'm looking at you! Anyone else who thinks they could make it: you are, of course, welcome to announce your interest as well!

- A suitable venue. I'm looking right now at a piano shop, a community centre and a rehearsal studio that all have spaces with pianos for rent within a stone's throw of where I live. I'd have to hash out some of the details (price, availability, food and drink in the vicinity, size of the space, etc.), but it's looking doable.

- A date. Once we have an idea of who would like to come, we can set up a Doodle for this.

Like I said: location is up for debate. But if we decide not to have this thing in Brussels, it would be nice to do it in someone else's home town, because it will be massively easier to get all our ducks in a row that way.

If we do have it in Brussels, I can figure out what the ideal date would be, pick and book the venue, and provide people with itineraries of how and when to get there. What we do once we *are* there is up for debate as well, as far as I'm concerned. Right now I'd just like to know how many people would be interested.

Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Burgmüller 100/3, 4, 7, 12, 15, 19
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9
Near-future
Finish Burgmüller 100
Handel 437/4
Bartok Sz. 56
Rameau Gavotte in a with variations

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2067485 - 04/20/13 07:17 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Now, Brussels is a very busy city. Lancaster UK would be much better . . .and everybody speaks English there. Apart from the foreigners . . .

Edited by peterws (04/20/13 07:19 AM)

""

#2067487 - 04/20/13 07:26 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: peterws]

Originally Posted By: peterws
Now, Brussels is a very busy city. Lancaster UK would be much better . . .and everybody speaks English there. Apart from the foreigners . . .

OK, I see what you're doing there, Peter laugh. Maybe we should specify that the city we are doing this in should have either a high-speed train station (TGV, Thalys, Eurostar, Fyra ... Brussels has all four ;)) or an international airport. Preferably both.

P.S.: Most people in Brussels also speak English -- especially the foreigners wink.

Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9
Near-future
Finish Burgmüller 100
Handel 437/4
Bartok Sz. 56

#2067490 - 04/20/13 07:37 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
I'm definitely interested.

I don't actually live IN Milan, but close enough that it makes no difference, and there's a highspeed train.

I've never been to Brussels, but I'm sure the language thing isn't a problem. (I've been to Belgium and managed well enough with my rusty French smile )

(I assume spouses/significant others would be welcome ?- though they might well choose to do some independent sight seeing during our music-fest!)

#2067531 - 04/20/13 09:17 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: casinitaly]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
I am very interested too. I have never been to Brussels, but would be interested in visiting. I would love to meet other AFB'ers face to face!

#2067558 - 04/20/13 10:47 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
Boira Offline

Loc: Barcelona
Originally Posted By: Saranoya
Maybe we should specify that the city we are doing this in should have either a high-speed train station (TGV, Thalys, Eurostar, Fyra ... Brussels has all four ;)) or an international airport. Preferably both.

Exactly! A well connected city to facilitate access to everyone.

I better start brushing up on my rusty French laugh

#2067564 - 04/20/13 10:53 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

I like the idea and I don't mind traveling! Only problem is, I'm super shy blush
I don't think I can contribute much, but I love to listen to other people play!

#2067570 - 04/20/13 11:06 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]

OK. Rule number one is: train and plane connections required.

Rule number two: if you come, you play something. We don't care if you mess up. I know I will. But what would be the point of having a piano party if everyone's too shy to play. Right?

So. Come. Talk. Eat and drink. Get to know some wonderful people in person. And play the piano as horribly as you wish, but play. That's the idea.

Anyone want to veto the above?

By the way: spouses and arm candy welcome, of course wink. Seems only logical to me.

Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9
Near-future
Finish Burgmüller 100
Handel 437/4
Bartok Sz. 56

#2067583 - 04/20/13 11:42 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Brussels would be ideal, but London is okay too. I don't really have funds available to travel far. Sometime late July sounds good. Would love to meet up and get to know people. Will leave shyness at home :p

#2067586 - 04/20/13 11:54 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
casinitaly Offline

I think we all have some degree of shyness -but everyone must play! And it isn't as though we have to be limited to one try - I picture "rounds" - maybe those who know a specific genre would play some pieces, and then a selection from a different genre?

Who knows?!

I can't imagine a better, more appreciative or more supportive audience than a group of PW friends!

Saranoya, I agree with your "rules" smile

#2067655 - 04/20/13 03:19 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
torquenale Offline

I'm interested, and if I survive the children's recital it would not be a problem to play for you. Of course everything should be planned carefully with my husband because in summer he works and we have children.

Ah, and my English sucks!

#2067657 - 04/20/13 03:23 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: torquenale]

Originally Posted By: torquenale
Ah, and my English sucks!

Oh, does it? Funny, I hadn't noticed that yet wink.

If it's any consolation to you: my spoken English is much worse than my written English, too. But I'm sure we'll get by.

As for the husband and/or kids: why not take them with you, and turn this into a longer trip? Since your kids play too, it might be fun to have them at the piano party!

Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9
Near-future
Finish Burgmüller 100
Handel 437/4
Bartok Sz. 56

#2067662 - 04/20/13 03:29 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
torquenale Offline

As for the husband and/or kids: why not take them with you, and turn this into a longer trip? Since your kids play too, it might be fun to have them at the piano party!

We'll see when place and time will be decided what I can do!

Anyway, great ideas in this thread!

#2067744 - 04/20/13 06:47 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
I'll go! I've got a ton of frequent flyer miles built up so why not?

I'm thinking of staying with Cheryl. It shouldn't be a burden. Just me, my wife and a couple of Llamas. Possibly dog and cat too (they love to travel).

This is going to be so great. Cheryl are you excited?

#2067771 - 04/20/13 07:48 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
casinitaly Offline

Torquenale - that would be so much fun! I imagine there will be a great mix of English, French, Italian, not to mention our own individual accents in each one!

Saranoya, I have trouble imagining your spoken English could be THAT weak, given how well you write. !

Mr. Super-Hunkey, well I did some internet reseach and see that llamas are hypo allergenic, so they can come, but the dog and cat will have to stay elsewhere as I rather enjoy breathing smile lol....

#2067801 - 04/20/13 09:57 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]

All right. I said four or five. Within the space of less than twenty-four hours, we've had seven people say they were either 'very interested' (Casinitaly, SwissMS, me), or liked the idea (Allard, Sinophilia, Boira, torquenale). Mr. S-H, can we count you and your frequent flyer miles in, too? wink

Anyway. While I am by no means saying that nobody else can join in (far from it), I think we should pull the trigger on this and start to hash out some of the details.

So. As far as I can tell, we have three people from Italy (Cas, torquenale, Sinophilia), one from Switzerland (SwissMS), one from Spain (Boira), one from the Netherlands (Allard), and one from Belgium (me).

Options for 'host cities' that have been suggested are Milan, Barcelona, and Brussels. I'm assuming that in or close to each of those cities, we have someone (Casinitaly, Boira, or me) who would be willing to secure a venue if and when it came to that. If I am mistaken in that assumption, please do let me know. Since at this point, we don't seem to have anyone from or close to London, I think we can discard that as an option.

If we go by geography, it would seem that most of you are probably closer to Milan than Barcelona or (certainly) Brussels. But Barcelona is probably not too bad, either, and given the fact that Allard might not come if he has to travel too far, but nobody seems to have spoken out against Brussels as an option, I'm not ready yet to discard that, either (yes, I'm biased).

So, show of hands: how many people would *not* come if this thing was held at any one of the three proposed cities (Milan, Barcelona or Brussels), but may still come if their preferred option won out?

Please, state your preferred location in order of preference, and then we'll just tally up the votes (three for first choice, two for second, one for third).

My list:

1) Brussels (duh)
2) Barcelona
3) Milan

P.S.: You are right, Cheryl. My spoken English is probably not that bad. But it is true that I often need a few seconds to come up with the right word or grammatical construction in any given context. Since I can think faster than I can type, this is never a problem on the Internet (and if need be, there's always the delete button). In real life, though, I often pause mid-sentence, or go back and start over, when I realize halfway through a thought that I'm not expressing myself correctly. In real life, it's also much harder to 'edit' what you've said after the fact (which I definitely do, early and often, when writing here or anywhere else). Since torquenale writes very well too, but seems insecure about her spoken English, I can only assume it's like that for her, as well.

Oh, and in your list of languages, you're forgetting Dutch, which Allard and I both speak natively wink.

Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9
Near-future
Finish Burgmüller 100
Handel 437/4
Bartok Sz. 56

#2067813 - 04/20/13 10:48 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
PaperClip Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, Holland
Hi,

I would like to come. It sounds interesting.

Brussels sounds good to me. Barcelona or Milan would be great too.

But for me costs are important, because I'm into a job transition. My money is put into education and right now I'm just a poor student.

So Brussels would be the best option due low travel costs. Barcelona or Milan need some calculation before saying yes. But probably not an option for me this year, sorry. Brussels at one, Barcelona at two and Milan at three (London and Paris are cities I don't like to go low budget; that would be a no).

Is a carousel something? This year Brussels, next year Barcelona, the year after Milan and so on. Sort of European tour.

Playing since May 02 2009

#2067841 - 04/21/13 02:00 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
[quote=Saranoya] Mr. S-H, can we count you and your frequent flyer miles in, too? wink

Okay you busted me.

But if you guys need a venue and have some flier miles lying around the Hunky Lodge is always available.

#2067842 - 04/21/13 02:14 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: PaperClip]

Originally Posted By: PaperClip
I would like to come. It sounds interesting.

Awesome! So, that makes eight, then. Nice, and welcome to the club, Chris!

Is a carousel something? This year Brussels, next year Barcelona, the year after Milan and so on. Sort of European tour.

Well, yes. That was part of the original idea. See also: the London piano party thread. But I think we should just see if we can get this off the ground and make it a success once. If we can, then anything is possible after that, as far as I'm concerned.

Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9
Near-future
Finish Burgmüller 100
Handel 437/4
Bartok Sz. 56

#2067845 - 04/21/13 02:26 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

This sounds like it is really coming together! Brussels seems like the favored location so far, and that is doable for me. Milan is an easy train ride for me, so that works as well. This is going to be so fun! Saranoya, let us know how we can help with the organization. I like the idea of an annual event, rotating to different cities. Switzerland is sort of central, and I would be willing to host a future party.

#2067849 - 04/21/13 02:37 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: SwissMS]

Originally Posted By: SwissMS
This sounds like it is really coming together! Brussels seems like the favored location so far, and that is doable for me. Milan is an easy train ride for me, so that works as well. This is going to be so fun!

Can I assume that means 1) Milan, 2) Brussels, 3) Barcelona for you, with the understanding that if Milan wins, but we lose some people because of that, I can bump up your Brussels vote to number 1?

And yes, it's going to be lots of fun!

I don't think the organization will be that complicated (and I'm still not sure it will be Brussels), but I will keep you guys posted.

Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9
Near-future
Finish Burgmüller 100
Handel 437/4
Bartok Sz. 56

#2067857 - 04/21/13 03:41 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Brussels is great for me. It sounds like we have the most people able to attend there, which makes it more likely to actually come together. So, yes Brussels is my #1 vote.

#2067861 - 04/21/13 04:38 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
casinitaly Offline

I would be perfectly happy to organize should the group want to come to Milan - this year (I think not smile ) or in the future.

It seems to me right now that Brussels is in the number one spot and that's fine with me.

What about the weekend of the 21st/22 of July?
The next weekend is not good for me.
Some dates in August could be do-able but I'm not 100% sure which ones yet.

p.s. Mr. Super-Hunky - you shouldn't tease us like that! I was already working on plans for hosting the llamas! Mind you, it would have been a little tight with four adults and even ONE llama...:)

#2067867 - 04/21/13 05:07 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Newcastle, Australia
I hope this becomes an annual event, as I would make a detour on my trips back to Scotland to join in

#2067868 - 04/21/13 05:09 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: earlofmar]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: earlofmar
I hope this becomes an annual event, as I would make a detour on my trips back to Scotland to join in

Heck, we could HAVE an event in Scotland - I've never been and it is way up there on my wish list!

#2067869 - 04/21/13 05:10 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]

Right. Since we already know Allard and PaperClip will probably only come if we do this in Brussels, then Brussels it will be, it seems.

July 21 is Belgium's national holiday, though. Fewer trains will be coming in that day, and it might be harder to get a venue, though I don't know about that. Let me ask around a little bit, and I'll get back to you all.

Anyone who absolutely can't make it to Brussels July 21?

Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9
Near-future
Finish Burgmüller 100
Handel 437/4
Bartok Sz. 56

#2067876 - 04/21/13 05:58 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
torquenale Offline

Barcelona is probably out of my reach now, so depending on the date I could make it fot Milan or Brussel. But Milan can awfully hot in summer.
I'm sorry I can't say nothing yet about my timetable, maybe the weekend of the 21st/22 of July I will be in holiday with family but we don't have planned it really.

#2067887 - 04/21/13 06:41 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
casinitaly Offline

Saranoya - I think maybe it would be better to move to the weekend before --- It is not a great idea to try to visit a city on a national holiday unless you're going specifically to experience the holiday events.

Personally, as well as the piano time, there are several museums which I think would be very interesting to see!

Kristina - we "might" be in London this summer - nothing is certain- but if so, I'll PM you and see about hooking up for a chat face-to-face!

#2067892 - 04/21/13 06:49 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: casinitaly]

Originally Posted By: casinitaly
Saranoya - I think maybe it would be better to move to the weekend before --- It is not a great idea to try to visit a city on a national holiday unless you're going specifically to experience the holiday events.

Yes, I actually agree with this. Will inquire about the availability of different venues in the weekend of July 14 / 15.

Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9
Near-future
Finish Burgmüller 100
Handel 437/4
Bartok Sz. 56

#2067920 - 04/21/13 08:29 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

I agree it is better to not do it on a national holiday. The weekend July 14th sounds good to me too.

#2067932 - 04/21/13 09:47 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
Boira Offline

Brussels seems the best option connections/location wise, and looks like it's easier for most people to get there.

As PaperClip said above, the city can vary every year in a sort of PW Forum European Tour.

I have to check the dates at work. I suppose it won't be any problem with changing my shift for the weekend July 14th.

#2067990 - 04/21/13 12:00 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Ciumbia! You guys are going to have fun! It's as good as Denver or Arizona! If I'm ever rich again this one will be on my to-do list.

(I just had to say that word, since I just learned it - use it or lose it, you know. Thanks cas - )

Cathy

Edited by jotur (04/21/13 12:00 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#2068022 - 04/21/13 12:59 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
torquenale Offline

I'm almost sure I can't that weekend. It's during my family holidays and only later we will move to The Netherlands for one month; my husband works there, and my company gave me a part-time where I do not work from the second week of July to the end of August: so first family holidays for a couple ok weeks and then all together where my husband works. It's really a pity, all my envy to those who can participate!
cry cry cry

#2068066 - 04/21/13 02:29 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]

That is indeed a pity, torquenale. Just out of curiosity: is there any other weekend this summer when you might be able to make it?

Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9
Near-future
Finish Burgmüller 100
Handel 437/4
Bartok Sz. 56

#2068072 - 04/21/13 02:37 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
torquenale Offline

Saranoya, the first two weekends in August (3rd and 10th) and probably the third (17th) should be ok for me; the last of July (27th) maybe. For the last one, it depends again on family plans, and we usually decide later when to move north...

#2068074 - 04/21/13 02:44 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]

I'm not here the first two weekends of August. I know Cheryl can't make it July 27. So how about August 17, everyone?

Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9
Near-future
Finish Burgmüller 100
Handel 437/4
Bartok Sz. 56

#2068087 - 04/21/13 03:13 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
PaperClip Offline

But I'm not sure if I'm free 17 august, because thats the month I start my new job. So for now it would be a yes, unless my new boss wants me to work that weekend.

#2068132 - 04/21/13 04:40 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
casinitaly Offline

Augut 17th is not great for me ...sorry....what about the 3rd or the 10th? They work for Torquenale, --- doesn't change anything for Paperclip.
Or do they not work for you Saranoya?

(I'm only addressing those who've replied so far).

It may well be impossible to find a day that works for everyone, and if the 17th DOES work for everyone else, then please just go ahead - I'll jump on the wagon for the next round! smile

#2068147 - 04/21/13 04:54 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]

Nope, I can't do August 3 or 10. Sorry!

Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9
Near-future
Finish Burgmüller 100
Handel 437/4
Bartok Sz. 56

#2068150 - 04/21/13 05:05 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisboa, Portugal
Hello everybody. What an wonderful idea!
Brussels is perfect. I've an uncle living there so I can stay in his home during the weekend. I only have to check the exact date to give my OK.

So, if you don't mind hearing a few pieces of Einaudi, you can count on me.

EDIT: 17 August is perfect. Better than that: from 10 to 31 August is perfect

Edited by CarlosCC (04/21/13 05:07 PM)

CarlosCC records
Self-learning since 12/2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

.:: Visit the 'European Piano Party 2014 - EPP2014' thread ::.

#2068182 - 04/21/13 06:35 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
PaperClip Offline

So so far we have selected a few dates

03/04 and 10/11 not good for the host saranoya, 21 july national holiday, that leaves:

13/14 july not good for torquenale, maybe ?, good for ?
27/28 july not good for casinitaly, maybe torquenale, good for ?
17/18 august not good for casinitaly, maybe me, good for carloscc

Maybe if we get this list complete, we could go for the least inconvenience one?

#2068383 - 04/22/13 01:48 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
casinitaly Offline

CarlosCC --- yipee! Great news!

Paperclip, I think you're right - we have to go with a date that works for the majority.

If we do a cut and paste in each reply we'll end up with a complete list. I could go earlier in July if that helps anyone: (I've abbreviated "not good for" to ngf and good for to OK)

Dates that don't work: weekend 21 July, 3 and/or 10 August

Dates we're looking at:
7/8 July
NGF:_____________,
Maybe:
OK: casinitaly

13/14 July
NGF: torquenale,
Maybe: _______
OK: casinitaly

27/28 July
NGF casinitaly
Maybe: torquenale,
OK:

17/18 August
NGF: casinitaly,
Maybe: Paperclip
OK: CarlosCC

Let's see how this goes!

#2068384 - 04/22/13 01:49 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
sinophilia Offline

I really think a piano meeting would be premature for me at this time. I am still learning the basics and my "repertoire" consists of maybe 4 or 5 silly songs that I can barely play correctly when nobody's around!

Also, I have a little ongoing project that forces me to travel often - I'm leaving for Dublin tonight - so adding another trip this summer would be tricky. Sorry frown

#2068390 - 04/22/13 02:09 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]

frown Oh, come on, sinophilia ... are you serious? If the reason is really that you're somehow embarrassed about your playing ... don't be. You say your repertoire consists of four or five silly pieces that you can barely play when nobody's around. Well, guess what? With the possible exception of the Moonlight Sonata's first movement, which I am reluctant to ever play again at this point, so does mine.

We said we were not going to care about that. We are doing this primarily because it will allow us to meet face-to-face some of the people that have become familiar names here. And because that will be fun. But we're also here because we are all piano enthusiasts. So it would be a pity, then, if we met each other and didn't play the piano. Wouldn't it?

Now, if you really can't swing another trip, financially or otherwise, then that's a shame, but OK.

Now we definitely need to find a date that works for torquenale laugh.

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works again, but July 7/8 won't work for me, either. So I'm OK for July 14/15, July 27/28, August 17/18

Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9
Near-future
Finish Burgmüller 100
Handel 437/4
Bartok Sz. 56

#2068393 - 04/22/13 02:12 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
casinitaly Offline

Sinofilia, I agree with Saranoya. Don't let shyness or a small repertoire put you off!!!

Dates that don't work: weekend 7/8 July, 21 July, 3 and/or 10 August

13/14 July
NO: torquenale,
OK: casinitaly, Saranoya

27/28 July
NO: casinitaly
OK: Saranoya

17/18 August
NO: casinitaly,
OK: CarlosCC, Saranoya

#2068402 - 04/22/13 02:22 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
Ganddalf Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
Hm... This could be interesting. But maybe my long experience is an issue here as it seems to be with the quarterly recitals.

#2068412 - 04/22/13 02:33 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Ganddalf]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: Ganddalf
Hm... This could be interesting. But maybe my long experience is an issue here as it seems to be with the quarterly recitals.

Not at all. No issue whatsoever! I will presume to speak for the others - I think it would be wonderful to have as much of a range of skills when we meet in person as we do in the forum - and no one is "not good enough" or...in your case smile...no one is "too good" --- we plan to meet in the spirit of sharing something we all enjoy - if we are as kind and respectful of each other in person as we have been here in the forum (and why wouldn't we be?).... I see only good things coming of this adventure.

#2068429 - 04/22/13 02:53 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: sinophilia]
SGM-IR Offline

Loc: Dublin, Ireland
Sinofilia, call to listen to my modest "repertoire" while you are in Dublin, and you will be very encouraged by your own 4 songs!

Edited by SGM-IR (04/22/13 02:54 AM)

#2068449 - 04/22/13 03:37 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
Allard Offline

Since I don't have anything planned yet for the summer, all those dates are ok for me, a long as it's decided well in advance. Agree with Cheryl here: a range of skills is good! Just like with the quarterly recital, I love hearing both beginners like myself, and more advanced players. It's very inspiring.

#2068459 - 04/22/13 04:28 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

As far as I can read, the updated list is:

13/14 July
NO: torquenale, CarlosCC
OK: casinitaly, Saranoya, Allard

27/28 July
NO: casinitaly, CarlosCC
OK: Saranoya, Allard

17/18 August
OK: CarlosCC, Saranoya, Allard

CarlosCC records

#2068460 - 04/22/13 04:40 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
sinophilia Offline

A few years ago I went to France for a motorcycle meeting, although I could barely keep my bike up at the time. I met the most amazing people and made a few good friends, but riding with them was a terrifying experience! I went again two years later and it was okay, then again two years later and I had the time of my life.

Just sayin'... wink

#2068471 - 04/22/13 05:16 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
PaperClip Offline

All dates in july are ok with me. smile

There are no issues for long experiences or small reportoire.

At my teachers recital, it works best if the person with the easiest piece and smallest repertoire goes first, then gradually up, and the person with the longest experience and most difficult piece goes last. So the "true" beginner and first play in public would not be intimidated by hearing an advanced piece before performing and nerves doesn't last longer than necessary. And as a positive side effect, the listeners expectations grow automatically, so the person with 40 years experience still needs to do his very best, hehe.

But don't know if this would work for this kind of meeting too.

And if we could find a studio with a Fazioli or a Steinway D grand, even a simple song would sound jaw dropping great. (Here in Holland renting a Fazioli at a lake house would cost 200 euro for 4 hours and a Yamaha grand in a city music studio about 100 euro for 4 hours). But the situation and prices in Brussels could be different.

The updated list is:

13/14 July
Maybe: Boira
OK: casinitaly, Saranoya, Allard, PaperClip, SwissMs

27/28 July
NO: casinitaly, CarlosCC
OK: Saranoya, Allard, PaperClip

17/18 August
OK: CarlosCC, Saranoya, Allard, torquenale

Edit: Boira, I added you as a maybe for 13/14 july and SwissMS, I added you ok for that weekend. Torquenale, I added you ok for 17/18 august, correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by PaperClip (04/22/13 06:38 AM)

#2068474 - 04/22/13 05:21 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
MrPozor Offline

Loc: near Paris, France
This sounds very interesting. Depending on the date I might join as well.

Brussels is perfect for me, other cities are fine as well though.

Equipment: Petrof 118 L1

#2068478 - 04/22/13 06:07 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
PaperClip Offline

You are very welcome, MrPozor. Do you mean you want a maybe for all three dates?

#2068479 - 04/22/13 06:09 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: MrPozor]

Great! MrPozor and Gandalf, if genuinely interested, would you please update the list to reflect which dates suit you?

There should and will not be any restrictions placed on participation based on how much (or how little) experience anyone has. The idea is, first and foremost, to have a meet and greet with like-minded piano aficionados. The rest is secondary. And yes, I think it's a good idea to go, roughly, in order of playing experience. That's what we do at my teacher's live recitals, too.

Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9
Near-future
Finish Burgmüller 100
Handel 437/4
Bartok Sz. 56

#2068506 - 04/22/13 08:10 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: PaperClip]
Boira Offline

List updated!
27/28 July is the only weekend when it would be impossible for me to attend. The other dates are OK.

Oh my! apart from brushing on my French, I seriously need to start some intensive and massive practice grin My "repertoire" is just... oh... *shame*

The updated list is:

13/14 July
OK: casinitaly, Saranoya, Allard, PaperClip, SwissMs

27/28 July
NO: casinitaly, CarlosCC, Boira
OK: Saranoya, Allard, PaperClip

17/18 August
OK: CarlosCC, Saranoya, Allard, torquenale, Boira

Edited by Boira (04/22/13 08:39 AM)
Edit Reason: typos

#2068515 - 04/22/13 08:30 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]

Oh hey, guys ... I just realised, 13/14 July is the weekend of Brosella Folk & Jazz Festival. Entrance is free, and the music is usually pretty good, though there doesn't seem to be anything out there yet about this year's program.

If there's a good jazz pianist scheduled, this might be something fun to do on Saturday evening?

Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9
Near-future
Finish Burgmüller 100
Handel 437/4
Bartok Sz. 56

#2068521 - 04/22/13 08:50 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
MrPozor Offline

Another update

13/14 July
OK: casinitaly, Saranoya, Allard, PaperClip, SwissMs, MrPozor

27/28 July
OK: Saranoya, Allard, PaperClip, MrPozor

17/18 August
NO: casinitaly, MrPozor
OK: CarlosCC, Saranoya, Allard, torquenale, Boira

#2068552 - 04/22/13 10:07 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
500 Post Club Member

I have to think it over a day or two. I have quite a few trips around the world scheduled for this year, and I have to consider my own capacity. If I find that I can do it, i'll update the list. If, however, I find that I can't go this year, 2014 may be an option for me.

#2068557 - 04/22/13 10:19 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Ganddalf]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

I am available for any of the the proposed dates. This is going to be so fun! I think the Festival Weekend would be an added bonus.

#2068562 - 04/22/13 10:26 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
casinitaly Offline

I think the jazz festival could be fun too!

Here is the latest version then:

13/14 July JAZZ FESTIVAL WEEKEND
OK: casinitaly, Saranoya, Allard, PaperClip, SwissMs, MrPozor

27/28 July
OK: Saranoya, Allard, PaperClip, MrPozor, SwissMS

17/18 August
NO: casinitaly, MrPozor
OK: CarlosCC, Saranoya, Allard, torquenale, Boira, SwissMS

Edited by casinitaly (04/22/13 10:27 AM)

#2068565 - 04/22/13 10:30 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]

That's OK, Ganddalf. Let us know if/when you're able.

I think we've had everyone chime in now who initially said they were interested (have I forgotten anyone?). And MrPozor has turned out to be the tie-breaker. Looks like it's going to be the weekend of July 13/14.

Six OK's and one 'maybe'. Not bad at all. Sinophilia, if you still want to get onto the wagon, now's the time! wink

And of course, if there are others out there reading this who are still sitting on the fence: I think we can conclude now that enough people are interested in this that it's definitely going to happen, almost certainly in the weekend of July 13/14. If you'd like to come, but you prefer one of the other dates and you aren't on the list yet, now's the time to let us know.

I'm going to let this sit here for another day or two, and we'll see what happens. But I'm also going to go ahead and get some price quotes on rental spaces with pianos that are available in the weekend of July 13/14.

Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9
Near-future
Finish Burgmüller 100
Handel 437/4
Bartok Sz. 56

#2068576 - 04/22/13 10:48 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

(...)Looks like it's going to be the weekend of July 13/14. (...)

I wish you a great time together. Don't forget to take and share some pictures/videos.
Have fun!
thumb

CarlosCC records

#2068586 - 04/22/13 10:58 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]

Uh ... sorry. Looks like I counted wrong. Ignore what I said. We still need the tie to be broken! Ganddalf, help us out? wink

Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9
Near-future
Finish Burgmüller 100
Handel 437/4
Bartok Sz. 56

#2068602 - 04/22/13 11:22 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
MrPozor Offline

And MrPozor has turned out to be the tie-breaker.

Hmm, that puts some pressure on me to really come, but I consider this to be a good thing!

#2068683 - 04/22/13 02:17 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
torquenale Offline

I think the Jazz Festival could be a real plus for the weekend of July 13th. I love listening to jazz, even if I will never able to play it. I don't know the others...

#2068726 - 04/22/13 03:13 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
PaperClip Offline

The jazz festival is a big plus for me too. Also I'm a working student at a hotel group until august, so july is the last time I could book a good hotel very cheaply.

#2068745 - 04/22/13 03:27 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]

Shall we consider Brosella the tie-breaker, then? laugh

Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9
Near-future
Finish Burgmüller 100
Handel 437/4
Bartok Sz. 56

#2068748 - 04/22/13 03:38 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
PaperClip Offline

Shall we consider Brosella the tie-breaker, then? laugh

You're the host, now it's up to you to make a decision for the group, I think. I'll support you whatever you decide.

#2068770 - 04/22/13 04:13 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]

Well, in that case ...

I hereby decide that the first annual (let's hope ...) European Piano Party shall be held in Brussels on Saturday, July 13, 2013. Specifics with regards to time and place will be communicated in this thread as soon as they become available. (For the extra curious: it will either be in Schaarbeek, Etterbeek or Elsene, but all of the locations currently under consideration are easily accessible by subway, tram and/or bus).

I further propose the following:

1) That we meet at a to-be-determined central location shortly before lunchtime on July 13, and go out to eat something together before diving into the actual music-making.

2) That each participant prepare at least one piece to be played during an informal 'recital' that afternoon. Further, it would perhaps be nice if people who have easy-to-read sheet music for piano four hands, or who play other instruments, or know any musical games or whatever ... bring those too.

I will provide snacks and beverages during the afternoon, and since you guys all have to travel but I don't, I propose that the cost of the venue should be on me.

And then afterwards, we can all go out and get wasted at Brosella wink.

Not really, though.

Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9
Near-future
Finish Burgmüller 100
Handel 437/4
Bartok Sz. 56

#2068791 - 04/22/13 04:53 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
torquenale Offline

I'm sure it will be great! I hope to see photos of it...

#2068812 - 04/22/13 05:32 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
casinitaly Offline

Sara I like your outline very much.

As for the cost of the venue, I think we have to see how much it is before we gleefully hand it off to you!

I am quite impressed with how quickly this has started to fall into place!

woohoo!

I will be happy to be the official (or not) group photographer!

#2068873 - 04/22/13 07:52 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
1000 Post Club Member

so so jealous

#2069141 - 04/23/13 06:38 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
PaperClip Offline

It sounds very nice! Half july, most of the time it's beautiful weather then, not too hot. A little bite before the piano playing and afterwards the jazz festival. The sun goes under very late that evening in Brussels. Music, nice people, good food and music again. Sounds super!! smile

#2069283 - 04/23/13 11:40 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]

Have a look, guys:

Chez Kaufmann.

It's at 321 Avenue de la Couronne, 1040 Etterbeek.

It's a little bit out of the way (not served by the subway, though there are plenty of buses and trams). But we could meet at the nearest subway stop and eat something in that neighbourhood, then take the bus or walk from there.

It's also, perhaps, a little big for our purposes, but the price is very reasonable. (And anyway, I had to eliminate the other two options for reasons of availability or accessibility.)

I will be doing some 'reconnaissance' on May 5th, when there will be a movie projection with live piano music held here. But, I think this is it.

So right now, I'd like to know how many people will definitely come, and whether you guys have any special requests with regards to food so I know where to start looking for the lunch reservations.

Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9
Near-future
Finish Burgmüller 100
Handel 437/4
Bartok Sz. 56

#2069291 - 04/23/13 11:46 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
casinitaly Offline

I'm in - and will be solo. Mr. Casinitaly won't be joining me this time.

I'm pretty easy-going for food, except for having recently developed some troubles with dairy.
That's fairly easy to avoid smile

I like pretty much all types of food, even liver smile

I checked out the venue website -it looks like it could work well for us.

Great research Sara! smile

#2069304 - 04/23/13 12:02 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

This topic is in my "watched topics" list but I think I'll unfollow this topic from now... frown
Sincerely, I wish you all the best In this 1st European meeting.

CarlosCC records

#2069308 - 04/23/13 12:06 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
PaperClip Offline

I'm in and solo too and I eat everything.

Aww, I hope to see you at the next european meeting then, CarlosCC!

#2069332 - 04/23/13 12:47 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
Boira Offline

Now that 13/14 July is final, I'm asking for the shift change at work. The person I'm changing my dates with is the big boss so keep your fingers crossed for me... she's allergic to working on Saturdays.

#2069353 - 04/23/13 01:30 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Boira]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

I am in - and my husband will be joining me. We do not have any dietary restrictions, so anything is OK. This is coming together fast!

#2069382 - 04/23/13 02:34 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: CarlosCC]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: CarlosCC
This topic is in my "watched topics" list but I think I'll unfollow this topic from now... frown

Carlos, I am sorry that you could not join us on the selected weekend. You play so beautifully, and I was looking forward to hearing your Einaudi in person!

#2069424 - 04/23/13 04:02 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
Allard Offline

Regarding food, I'm lactose-intolerant, so anything heavy on cheese is a no-no. I also don't eat pork, and a few other things that should be easy enough to avoid.

The site looks nice. Also very, very French, but hopefully a few polite words is all that's needed. Looks like we could bring quite an audience there (assuming you're renting the 'theater' room and not a practise room which they also seem to offer).

#2069431 - 04/23/13 04:16 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: SwissMS]
casinitaly Offline

Carlos, I am sorry that you could not join us on the selected weekend. You play so beautifully, and I was looking forward to hearing your Einaudi in person!

Same here Carlos!
Let's have the 2014 Edition in Lisbon and we'll come to you!

#2069436 - 04/23/13 04:20 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]

It seats 30 people. So bring all your friends wink!

Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9
Near-future
Finish Burgmüller 100
Handel 437/4
Bartok Sz. 56

#2069439 - 04/23/13 04:24 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: casinitaly]
PaperClip Offline

Same here Carlos!
Let's have the 2014 Edition in Lisbon and we'll come to you!

Yes, I think CarlosCC or torquenale should host the next one. They deserve it.

#2069444 - 04/23/13 04:29 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: earlofmar]
ElleC Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: earlofmar
so so jealous

sharing the same sentiment

#2069478 - 04/23/13 05:19 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

(Ok, ok... I didn't resisted to do a last read on this topic.)

...you're all so kind....
For sure, we can do it in Lisbon. It will be a pleasure to organize this event in 2014 and receive so honored and respected friends.

(At least I'll have plenty of time to practice my Einaudi smile )

CarlosCC records

#2069737 - 04/24/13 03:38 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
MrPozor Offline

Hi all,

I confirm that I will come as well. Most probably alone.

In terms of food, I eat everything as long as it is not moving on the plate anymore.

Kind regards,

MrPozor

#2069771 - 04/24/13 05:47 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: CarlosCC]
casinitaly Offline

(Ok, ok... I didn't resisted to do a last read on this topic.)

...you're all so kind....
For sure, we can do it in Lisbon. It will be a pleasure to organize this event in 2014 and receive so honored and respected friends.

(At least I'll have plenty of time to practice my Einaudi smile )

Yipee! smile

#2069823 - 04/24/13 08:52 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: CarlosCC]
torquenale Offline

(For sure, we can do it in Lisbon. It will be a pleasure to organize this event in 2014 and receive so honored and respected friends.

So 2015 in Turin (or, at least, in Italy)?

#2069825 - 04/24/13 08:54 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: torquenale]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

(For sure, we can do it in Lisbon. It will be a pleasure to organize this event in 2014 and receive so honored and respected friends.

YES! laugh

CarlosCC records

#2069860 - 04/24/13 10:03 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: torquenale]
PaperClip Offline

Yes, the city of Juve! I'm in. smile

#2069978 - 04/24/13 01:21 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
500 Post Club Member

I have considered the matter seriously, and the conclusion is that I can't participate this year. But 2014 I can probably participate. I'll keep some space open for it in the calendar.

#2069985 - 04/24/13 01:41 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Ganddalf]

Originally Posted By: Ganddalf
I have considered the matter seriously, and the conclusion is that I can't participate this year.

:'(

Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9
Near-future
Finish Burgmüller 100
Handel 437/4
Bartok Sz. 56

#2071691 - 04/26/13 04:52 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
patH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany
Hi.

I noticed this thread thanks to the PW newsletter.
I don't consider myself an "adult beginner"; more an advanced amateur. I'm 45 years old and have been playing the piano since I was 7 years old.
The weekend of the 13/14 of July happens to be during my summer holiday, which I intend to spend in northern France. I don't have a car; but it would only take a few hours by train; albeit not late in the evening.

So my questions:
- Are non-beginners welcome?

If the answer is yes:
- How long should the pieces you play be?
- Are there genre preferences?
- Until when in the afternoon will the event probably go? If it's early in the afternoon, I might return to France that day; if not, maybe I'll book a hotel room and return to France the next day.

Food I don't want: Anything with peanuts.

Edited by patH (04/26/13 06:49 PM)

#2071711 - 04/26/13 05:23 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
PaperClip Offline

Hi PatH, everybody is welcome!

Sorry to hear you can't make it Gandalf!

#2072198 - 04/27/13 03:23 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
Jean Claude Offline

Loc: France

Like PatH I have found this thread because of the PW newsletter. Sadly I cannot go to Brussels on July 13th but I would like to wish the event all success and to express my interest in attending a similar function next year.

J-C.

#2072229 - 04/27/13 03:54 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]

Hi PatH,

As PaperClip has said: of course everyone is welcome! Experience (or lack thereof) is a non-factor.

The plan right now is for us to have lunch together, then the piano party. I estimate that will take anywhere from two to four hours, depending on how many people want to play how many pieces, how long those take, and what we do afterwards (I'm thinking four-hands sight-reading, improvisation, and just goofing off in general).

In any case, you should be able to leave by 5PM at the latest, if you want to. Or, you can book a hotel room and come with us to Brosella (free Folk/Jazz festival near the Atomium).

Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9
Near-future
Finish Burgmüller 100
Handel 437/4
Bartok Sz. 56

#2073368 - 04/29/13 09:16 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
casinitaly Offline

I was away for a few days - glad to see we've got another participant: Hello PatH!

Mr Casinitaly is considering re-considering so he may be joining me after all ((I'm sure you're all waiting with bated breath...yah, right, I thought so )....:)

Apart from whatever I decide on playing, I can bring lots of early-mid-intermediate stuff to share and play around with.

I've got some relatively easy jazzy duets I can bring and a tremendously fun piece called Tamburino Cinese "Chinese drum". I can play one part, but would need a partner to play the Secondo, which is much harder!....If anyone is remotely interested I can scan and email the pages (2) and provide a link.

#2073733 - 04/29/13 07:18 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
patH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks for the welcome!

I'll probably book a hotel room in Brussels, so I can hang out in Brussels Saturday evening; possibly listen to Jazz music.
And I also assume that organization details will follow when the time comes; like the precise time and place where we meet.

#2073862 - 04/30/13 12:35 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]

Of course!

I'm booking a space at a piano shop nearby, but I have to go there in person to do that, which will happen this Saturday, probably. After that, I will let you all know.

Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9
Near-future
Finish Burgmüller 100
Handel 437/4
Bartok Sz. 56

#2074834 - 05/01/13 08:39 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
PaperClip Offline

I booked a train ticket today. It's just a two hour ride to Brussel from Amsterdam, so I come to Brussel in the morning and I leave in the evening.

The train ticket becomes more expensive the longer I wait, so I didn't wait for the organisation details. I arrive in Brussel at 10 o'clock in the morning. Then I relax a bit from the journey and see you at lunch time. smile

#2074878 - 05/01/13 09:52 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]

10 o'clock sounds about right, Chris.

For anyone else wanting to book travel arrangements, I'll say this:

The closest Belgian train station to where we are going for the piano party is actually Etterbeek station -- it's at like 300 meters from the Kaufmann store. You can take the train to Louvain-la-Neuve Université from Bruxelles Midi, which is where those of you coming by train will most likely be arriving. It leaves on platform 15 at 10:40, and it will get you to Etterbeek in 22 minutes, with 4 stops in-between (Bruxelles Centrale, Bruxelles Nord, Bruxelles Schuman, and Bruxelles Luxembourg). For those of you coming on a train that also stops at Bruxelles Nord: the same train to Louvain-la-Neuve leaves from Bruxelles Nord at 10:49 on platform 7.

If you miss this train for any reason, don't wait for the next one. Only one train an hour stops at Etterbeek during the summer. Instead, hop any train that stops in Bruxelles Nord (that's basically all of them, as long as you make sure to take it in the right direction -- ask at the info kiosk). From Bruxelles Nord, take tram 25 (direction Boondaal) and get off at Etterbeek station. It's the 19th stop after Bruxelles Nord, which means it will take you about 45 minutes by tram. Moral of the story: try not to miss that train.

To pay for this, your best option is probably to get a 24-hour 'Discover Brussels' pass from MIVB/STIB. It goes for €6,50, and it will provide you with a ticket that's valid for 24 hours on NMBS/SNCB train rides within Brussels, and all STIB/MIVB trams, subways and buses. Those of you who might be coming the day before or leaving the day after can also get a 48- or 72-hour version of the pass, for €11 or €14, respectively. Look for a booth marked 'BOOTIK' or 'KIOSK' in the vicinity of the subway/tram/bus stop closest to you.

If all of this seems a bit daunting, I am willing to make arrangements to meet you guys at Bruxelles Midi or Bruxelles Nord. But I can't go to Etterbeek by train, because there are no accommodations for wheelchair users there. So then we'd have to take the tram, which, as I said above, takes significantly longer.

After the piano party, those of us going to Brosella will be leaving on tram 7, direction Heysel.

Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9
Near-future
Finish Burgmüller 100
Handel 437/4
Bartok Sz. 56

#2074953 - 05/01/13 11:10 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
casinitaly Offline

Thanks for all that info Saranoya! Very helpful.

Hubby has confirmed he'll come with me smile
We're flying in on the Friday and leaving Sunday evening, so we plan to do some sightseeing before and after the piano event.

Anyone else planning to be there on the Friday? Apart from Sara obviously!

#2074989 - 05/01/13 12:02 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Wow sounds like fun. I am not sure if I can time my business trip to UK. I am going into a massive prayer mode to make this happen.
Pieces at work - Schubert Sonata D960 2nd mvmnt Andante sostenute, Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1, Haru No Umi-the Sea In Spring (Michio Miyagi) for Flute & Piano (Nov Diversity Fair at work)

#2075140 - 05/01/13 04:43 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: FarmGirl]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: FarmGirl
Wow sounds like fun. I am not sure if I can time my business trip to UK. I am going into a massive prayer mode to make this happen.

That would be marvellous!!!

#2075204 - 05/01/13 06:29 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
patH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks Saranoya for the organization!

I just booked a hotel room for two nights, close to the railway station Bruxelles Midi.
I plan to arrive on Friday 12th and leave on Sunday 14th. This way, I can go to Brosella, and do a little bit of tourism.

#2078122 - 05/06/13 05:23 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Dear friends,
I was looking for a space in Lisbon to organize the 2nd European Piano Party next year.

Then, I received this e-mail from Yahama Iberia:
"Puedes ampliarme informacion de en que consiste la Europe Piano Party? igual podriamos hacer algo juntos."

Free translation: "Can you send more information about European Piano Party? We can do something together."

I explained what is the concept of PW, the number of members (~70.0000), and what is a Piano Party. I attached several links to PW.

So, I can't promise, but with a little bit of luck we can have the sponsorship of Yamaha in 2014, in Lisbon.
What do you think about it?

CarlosCC records

#2078130 - 05/06/13 05:56 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
1000 Post Club Member

just give plenty of notice so I can plan my escape from Australia

#2078145 - 05/06/13 06:55 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
PaperClip Offline

Sounds great if Yamaha would help us to find a space for the piano party.

#2078167 - 05/06/13 08:10 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: CarlosCC]
casinitaly Offline

Dear friends,
I was looking for a space in Lisbon to organize the 2nd European Piano Party next year.

Then, I received this e-mail from Yahama Iberia:
"Puedes ampliarme informacion de en que consiste la Europe Piano Party? igual podriamos hacer algo juntos."

Free translation: "Can you send more information about European Piano Party? We can do something together."

I explained what is the concept of PW, the number of members (~70.0000), and what is a Piano Party. I attached several links to PW.

So, I can't promise, but with a little bit of luck we can have the sponsorship of Yamaha in 2014, in Lisbon.
What do you think about it?

I think that is amazing!
Wonderful!

#2078172 - 05/06/13 08:19 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
Happy Birthday TwoSnowflakes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Ha! I'll be in Madrid all summer! Too bad it can't be there. On the other hand, I do know where the major Yamama dealer is located! I helped a friend pick out a piano there
Grieg, Four Norwegian Dances, Op. 35

#2078676 - 05/07/13 06:51 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
MrPozor Offline

Hi Saranoya,

Thanks a lot for the great travel info. I've booked my train now as well, non-refundable, so there's no way back now!

I will arrive 9:47 at Brussels and leave late in the evening. With only 1:30 of travel time it is not worthwhile for me to stay for the night.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

#2078810 - 05/07/13 12:22 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
casinitaly Offline

It is fun to see the news of people getting transport booked.

I'm looking at accommodations now smile

#2079315 - 05/08/13 01:23 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
PaperClip Offline

Aargh, my work vacantion in France is until 15 juli and not as I've assumed until 8 juli. I'm in minor mood, because the train ticket is non refundable and worse I miss the 1st european party! I feel VERY stupid and sad!!

#2079327 - 05/08/13 01:46 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
Allard Offline

Is your name on the ticket or could you resell it? I haven't booked my trip yet (though I kinda want to stay until Sunday afternoon).

#2079332 - 05/08/13 01:59 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
PaperClip Offline

No, the ticket is on name and not resellable. frown

#2079384 - 05/08/13 03:40 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: PaperClip]
RedKat Offline

Loc: Belgium
Brussels, July 13/14! Oh, no!!! What a pity cry that I cannot join!!! I am leaving for summer holidays on the 9th of July. Really, really pity. I would like to meet all of you. Perhaps, next time...

#2079621 - 05/09/13 02:48 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: PaperClip]
casinitaly Offline

No, the ticket is on name and not resellable. frown

That's such a pity Chris! Can you at least exchange it for a different ticket on a different day? I know we can do that here in Italy with most train tickets.

I'm sorry you won't be able to join us. frown

#2079706 - 05/09/13 07:59 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
PaperClip Offline

Maybe I can change date. However the ticket is not a big problem. That's the risk of buying a non refundable one.

But I looked out so much for the piano party. :-(

Maybe I could come back two days earlier from France, but I'm not sure.

#2079748 - 05/09/13 09:30 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]

Pity to hear you can't join us, Chris. frown
Better luck next time!

Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9
Near-future
Finish Burgmüller 100
Handel 437/4
Bartok Sz. 56

#2080132 - 05/10/13 02:56 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
casinitaly Offline

Redkat - too bad you can't make it --- maybe you'll catch the one in Lisbon next year?

We've booked our hotel ! smile
Things are moving along!

#2087478 - 05/23/13 02:55 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]

OK, guys. Change of plans.

My apartment has been in an eternal state of 'almost done ... but not quite' since, oh, December 2012 or so. However, as of yesterday, it is officially done. The construction guys have left me to figure out for myself how to get a working doorbell in here, but oh well ... that's the least of my concerns. I have working plumbing, heating, toilets, and a kitchen. That'll do!

So, I would hereby officially like to invite you all to come have the piano party at my home. My piano is a small Boston grand, as most of you know, and it will have been freshly tuned the day before the party. Lunch will be out on the town, my treat, but I will provide snacks in the afternoon, and pizzas for those who wish to stick around until after dinner (by which time we should be heading for Brosella).

The benefits of this over the Etterbeek venue are many:
  • I live within walking distance of the railway station Bruxelles Nord, which is a much bigger station than the one in Etterbeek and has about a hundred trains an hour, as well as good Metro and tram/bus connections.
  • No time limit: we play for as long as we want.
  • Lots of sheet music on my shelves, most of which I can't play, but cordially invite you all to take a crack at.
  • We can eat and drink (or not) pretty much whatever we want whenever we want, instead of relying on the bar service at the venue. There's a supermarket right across the street.

The only thing I'm a little reluctant about is posting my home address on the internet for all the world to see. So if you plan on coming, please send me a PM, and I will reply to you with the address and a few more details.

Cheers,
Sara

Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9
Near-future
Finish Burgmüller 100
Handel 437/4
Bartok Sz. 56

#2087507 - 05/23/13 03:36 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
casinitaly Offline

Sara! I'm so glad that you've got your apartment all in order now! What a relief that must be for you!!!!

Having the party I your home sounds like a great plan! It's very generous of you to open up your home to us and offer refreshments! I think if there's a supermarket right across the street we can easily pop out and pick up fixings for whatever suits our fancy!

You are absolutely right to not post your address for all and sundry to view - PM is a much better idea.

I love how this is all coming together!

#2087587 - 05/23/13 06:27 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
Allard Offline

That is great news, Sara! Still odd that they would present the apartment without a doorbell, but if the important things are th... ~wait a minute, how are we supposed to enter? No doorbell to ring! ("Ja ik moest kloppen want de bel doet het niet.")

Ahem.

Will your apartment have room for the lot of us? There seemed to be some interest from a few people outside ABF. How many will we be?

#2087589 - 05/23/13 06:40 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
bluebilly Offline

Loc: England
I've only got one comment to make about this planned European Piano Party.....I'M JEALOUS!!. mad

Actually, I hope you all have a great time. thumb

#2087607 - 05/23/13 07:33 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Allard]
PaperClip Offline

Originally Posted By: Allard
That is great news, Sara! Still odd that they would present the apartment without a doorbell, but if the important things are th... ~wait a minute, how are we supposed to enter?

Your mobile phone is the door bell. wink

But hey Sara, there are doorbells that dont need a wire connection between bell and button. Isnt that something for you?

I'm jealous you have the supermarket across the street. laugh

#2087692 - 05/23/13 11:12 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]

Yes, Allard, the cell phone is the solution for now. I do have a wireless bell, but I live in the back, and the wireless range of the bell doesn't reach here!

There isn't a *lot* of room, but if I can still count, I think we there will be six of you, or so: casinitaly+1, SwissMS+1, Allard, MrPozor. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone somewhere, but I know PaperClip considered it and then declined, Sinophilia considered it and then declined, torquenale considered it and then declined, and CarlosCC and Ganddalf wanted to come, but never could. So ... should be doable. My table can seat ten people if we squeeze a little :p.

Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9
Near-future
Finish Burgmüller 100
Handel 437/4
Bartok Sz. 56

#2087732 - 05/24/13 01:38 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Having the party at your home sounds marvelous, Saranoya! It is very nice of you to host us. I like the idea of just having lots of time to share our music and noodle around with the piano together. We should get some easy duet music or music for six hands and see how much trouble we can get into!

#2087743 - 05/24/13 02:05 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
casinitaly Offline

SwissMS, I was thinking the same thing about duets for six hands! If we can't find that, we can play musical chairs smile

I wonder if "easy" pieces for six hands even exist? The search is on!

patH is coming, already booked, and Boira never got back to say if he/she was able to get the time off.

#2087764 - 05/24/13 03:44 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous

Now seriously: I hope you enjoy a lot!

CarlosCC records

#2087766 - 05/24/13 04:22 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
1000 Post Club Member

I nearly volunteered to come put a bell system in but I don't think my license would cover a European install. Have fun and post pictures.

#2087770 - 05/24/13 05:13 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
sinophilia Offline

And videos please!! smile

#2087781 - 05/24/13 06:11 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
patH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks for the organization, Saranoya! PM to follow.
EDIT: PM to follow a bit later; I'm travelling over the weekend.

Do we meet at your place first and go to lunch afterwards?

Edited by patH (05/24/13 06:44 AM)

#2087789 - 05/24/13 06:35 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: patH]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

We could do this!!!

Seriously, Saranoya, we wouldn't mistreat your piano in this way.

#2087872 - 05/24/13 09:56 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
FarmGirl Offline

Nice! Definately I would love to see photos at least!
Pieces at work - Schubert Sonata D960 2nd mvmnt Andante sostenute, Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1, Haru No Umi-the Sea In Spring (Michio Miyagi) for Flute & Piano (Nov Diversity Fair at work)

#2088019 - 05/24/13 01:33 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
casinitaly Offline

How about this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBNVVc_BCgw

lol... In my dreams!

I do see that Gurlitt has a number of easier 6 hand pieces - I'm going to check IMSPL..IMPLS...whatever, you know what I mean...

#2088118 - 05/24/13 03:38 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: CarlosCC]
torquenale Offline

I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous I'm jealous

Now seriously: I hope you enjoy a lot!

+1! thumb

#2088133 - 05/24/13 04:08 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]

Cute, SwissMS. I think that does qualify as 'piano abuse' that I'd be better off outlawing if I want to keep my piano serviceable for another twenty years or so.

By the way: do either of the +1's play anything? Not necessarily piano, but perhaps recorder, or guitar, or I don't know what else? We could start an impromptu band wink. Or, well, a jam session at least.

Also, fair warning: I can't sight-read to save my life. And I'm not just being cute or modest here. I. Can't. Do. That. So if you want to do four-hands, or six-hands, sight-reading, go right ahead. I will listen to it with glee. But sadly, I can't participate in it.

I can, however, think of a fun (sort of) game: we take turns playing pieces from our repertoire. The first person who draws a blank does the dishes wink.

(No, not really).

ETA: it could be kind of fun, though. I'm picturing on-the-fly, two-chord arrangements of 'Brother Jacob', here ;), as we reach the bottom of our barrels and start grasping for any and all ways to stay in the game laugh.

By the way, to the person who asked if we will be meeting at my place before lunch: I'm thinking yeah. Not everyone will be arriving at exactly the same time, I imagine. So that would be easiest. Right?

Edited by Saranoya (05/24/13 04:17 PM)
Edit Reason: Added to it

Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9
Near-future
Finish Burgmüller 100
Handel 437/4
Bartok Sz. 56

#2088183 - 05/24/13 05:11 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
casinitaly Offline

My +1 plays the stereo. smile

I play a bit of guitar though I'm really out of practice.

My sight-reading is ...slow, but I'm willing to try. Maybe if we play a funeral march or something......?

Your idea of playing from repertoire sounds amusing. Quite hilarious actually if I think about what my repertoire consists of......

Nonetheless, I am already feeling a bit keyed up for the event! (In a good way) woohoo!

#2088225 - 05/24/13 06:26 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
FarmGirl Offline

I want to join you so badly.

Here's my prayer:
Dear Lord
Will you please time my UK business trip in the week before or after the piano party! I have no way of controlling the project team's timing without your help. Please prevent my business partners from taking summer vacation for the week. It would screw up my timing. I promise I will be very good and serve for others who are in need. Oh it would be so much fun".

I know it probably won't happen - but it never hurts to ask.

#2088402 - 05/25/13 02:55 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
Allard Offline

ETA: it could be kind of fun, though. I'm picturing on-the-fly, two-chord arrangements of 'Brother Jacob', here ;), as we reach the bottom of our barrels and start grasping for any and all ways to stay in the game laugh.

You can play "Brother Jacob" canon with four hands smile

#2088432 - 05/25/13 06:23 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
casinitaly Offline

FarmGirl - love your prayer! I hope it is answered in your favour! I'll join in too!

Sara and Allard..... I couldn't think what Brother Jacob would be....then I realized it is Frere Jacques or Brother John! Too funny.

I think we could ad-lib with "When the Saints go Marching in" too!

#2090647 - 05/28/13 12:17 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: casinitaly]
RedKat Offline

Redkat - too bad you can't make it --- maybe you'll catch the one in Lisbon next year?

We've booked our hotel ! smile
Things are moving along!

Is the next meeting already planned in Lisbon? Wow! I'd love to! Never been to this place before. I hope nothing will interfere the next year

#2090684 - 05/28/13 01:29 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]

RedKat,

When it became clear that CarlosCC would not be able to make it to this meeting, he offered to host the next one in Lisbon. He apparently was already in contact with Yamaha in regards to this.

So yeah, looks like the next one will be in Lisbon!

It's really a pity you can't make it here in July. It's practically on your doorstep!

Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9
Near-future
Finish Burgmüller 100
Handel 437/4
Bartok Sz. 56

#2090696 - 05/28/13 01:49 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA
Sounds like you all are having great fun and the party is still how many days away? Seriously, they are a lot of fun.

I, or I should say, my piano has hosted (2) piano parties and we have had a total of (4) here in Denver. Certainly, the piano gets all of the attention, and I like it that way. It breaks the ice, and the conversations flow.

It is great that there are piano party pods springing up in so many locations... especially, should I ever get to Europe.

Schimmel K213 NWS

#2090793 - 05/28/13 03:55 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
RedKat Offline

It's practically on your doorstep!

That is why I am so upset. I live in Gent and I could have shown everybody this beautiful city!

#2090853 - 05/28/13 06:28 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: RedKat]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: RedKat
It's practically on your doorstep!

That is why I am so upset. I live in Gent and I could have shown everybody this beautiful city!

That would have been super....... we will just have to organize well for next year in Lisboa!

#2091200 - 05/29/13 08:12 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

So, as the 1st EPP is becoming closer and well organized, I'm already preparing the 2nd EPP in Lisbon. Some news:

- Yamaha has not decided if they will help us. I've already the contact of the Yamaha responsible person in Lisbon and I'm waiting for his response. I still don't know "how" they want to help us.

- Meanwhile, my company has called me to visit the space where I'll have to do an audition next 15/Jun - see AOTW thread -. I think it is a kind of auditorium (don't know how many seats it has) and It's located right in the center of Lisbon. I'm going to check the conditions and ask if they want to receive our EPP. The space is an Art Centre, and it has a restaurant, a cyber-café and some art exhibitions, so we can play, eat, rest, and check PW forum smile

CarlosCC records

#2091548 - 05/29/13 06:14 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: CarlosCC]
casinitaly Offline

So, as the 1st EPP is becoming closer and well organized, I'm already preparing the 2nd EPP in Lisbon. Some news:

- Yamaha has not decided if they will help us. I've already the contact of the Yamaha responsible person in Lisbon and I'm waiting for his response. I still don't know "how" they want to help us.

- Meanwhile, my company has called me to visit the space where I'll have to do an audition next 15/Jun - see AOTW thread -. I think it is a kind of auditorium (don't know how many seats it has) and It's located right in the center of Lisbon. I'm going to check the conditions and ask if they want to receive our EPP. The space is an Art Centre, and it has a restaurant, a cyber-café and some art exhibitions, so we can play, eat, rest, and check PW forum smile

Carlos, that sounds like a great possibility. It is absurd but ---even though we haven't yet had the FIRST EPP, I'm already looking forward to the second one!...and then the third will be here in Italy right? smile I have some ideas in mind for us here too smile

#2091981 - 05/30/13 08:28 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: CarlosCC]
RedKat Offline

Sounds great! I am looking forward to it!

Edited by RedKat (05/30/13 08:29 AM)

#2092907 - 05/31/13 01:45 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: casinitaly]
Kwartvleugel Offline

Just discovered this topic and the fact that there's going to be a piano party at my backdoor.
Unfortunately, I'm leaving Belgium for family holidays on saturday 13, everything is booked, its impossible to join you.

But maybe I can give you a hint if you 're still looking for music for 6 hands. This is what my daughter has been practising at home the last few weeks for her exam (my apologies for the bad sound quality) :

[video:youtube]http://youtu.be/tFt3qtehmII[/video]

I'm sure the party will be fun, enjoy it.

#2092921 - 05/31/13 02:13 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
casinitaly Offline

Kwartvleugle, what a pity you won't be able to make it!

Thank you for the link! Looks like the girls are having fun with the piece, that's for sure!

#2097644 - 06/07/13 05:15 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Lisbon EPP 2014

Some news:
Yesterday I was in one of the possibles locations for our EPP2014. It is in the Art Center of my company, in Lisbon, and they have a beautiful white Yamaha Baby Grand.
Check the map and use the zoom tool to see the location, here: BESArte - Lisbon

I was invited to test the piano and I wouldn't miss the opportunity to see the space and to talk with the people responsible for the center.

the Piano: the Yamaha is fine. I played for almost an hour (I said I needed just 10 minutes...) and because the piano wasn't in the auditorium I had to play it in the public area, between the entrance and the bar zone. I was "testing" the sound playing by memory some random pieces like "Life", "Password", "Indaco" -the piece I'll play for the contest-, "Julia", "Nuvole Bianche", " Doce Droga", "Canzone populare", and my "Joana's Secrets". It was great, at least no one ran away from the building smile

The Auditorium: It's not a classic auditorium. It's a large room with about 50 seats with a stage at the bottom. I think it's fine for our needs.

The deal: I explained who "we" are (PW people) and what is a EPP. Then, with surprise, they told me they can OFFER the space to us. Yes, it can be FREE! I just have to close the date and to get a formal authorization from them. Nothing is granted, but it's a good possibility.

So, that's all. Again, I wish you a wonderful EPP2013!

CarlosCC records

#2097663 - 06/07/13 06:57 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
casinitaly Offline

Carlos! That is really wonderful ! How exciting!

When will we have to start looking at the dates in order to book the location??

Now is a bit early for most folks to start thinking about next year's plans, but I imagine they need something like 6 months notice.

It is ridiculous to be excited about 2 parties at the same time, but so what? I am!

#2097664 - 06/07/13 07:01 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
Allard Offline

If they're offering the place to us, it's reasonable to assume there will be some publicity attached, no? Will someone be attending, or recordings being made, or are they just hoping that after the party we're more inclined to buy a Yamaha piano?

Either way, looking forward to that too.

#2097674 - 06/07/13 07:36 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: CarlosCC]

Lisbon EPP 2014

Some news:
Yesterday I was in one of the possibles locations for our EPP2014. It is in the Art Center of my company, in Lisbon, and they have a beautiful white Yamaha Baby Grand.
Check the map and use the zoom tool to see the location, here: BESArte - Lisbon

I was invited to test the piano and I wouldn't miss the opportunity to see the space and to talk with the people responsible for the center.

the Piano: the Yamaha is fine. I played for almost an hour (I said I needed just 10 minutes...) and because the piano wasn't in the auditorium I had to play it in the public area, between the entrance and the bar zone. I was "testing" the sound playing by memory some random pieces like "Life", "Password", "Indaco" -the piece I'll play for the contest-, "Julia", "Nuvole Bianche", " Doce Droga", "Canzone populare", and my "Joana's Secrets". It was great, at least no one ran away from the building smile

The Auditorium: It's not a classic auditorium. It's a large room with about 50 seats with a stage at the bottom. I think it's fine for our needs.

The deal: I explained who "we" are (PW people) and what is a EPP. Then, with surprise, they told me they can OFFER the space to us. Yes, it can be FREE! I just have to close the date and to get a formal authorization from them. Nothing is granted, but it's a good possibility.

So, that's all. Again, I wish you a wonderful EPP2013!

Three cheers for that, Carlos. Sign me up! wink

Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9
Near-future
Finish Burgmüller 100
Handel 437/4
Bartok Sz. 56

#2097684 - 06/07/13 08:06 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Allard]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Cheryl - I think we can wait until January (2014) to book the place.

Allard - I explained that EPP is a kind of "private" party so I'm not expecting to have strange people in the audience. Just someone responsible for the place and ours +1, +2 smile
And this place has nothing to do with the possible support of Yamaha. BESArte has a Yamaha piano, but that's only a coincidence. Don't get confused.
btw: I'm still waiting for Yamaha response about the terms of their support.

Saranoya - Great!

CarlosCC records

#2097701 - 06/07/13 08:46 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
torquenale Offline

Carlos, it's great! I hope to be there next year!

#2097705 - 06/07/13 08:58 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: CarlosCC]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
CarlosCC, it all sounds so wonderful. Not just the 2014 party but both it and the 2013. I'm green with envy for all of you that are able to attend. smile

Never get directions from someone who hasn't been there.

#2097795 - 06/07/13 11:39 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

torquenale, I'm counting with you!

C'mon Ragdoll, pick a plane and come to Lisbon. Why not?

CarlosCC records

#2097842 - 06/07/13 12:36 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: CarlosCC]
torquenale Offline

torquenale, I'm counting with you!

My family never visited Portugal; I did, but 25 years ago. I have to organize a nice holiday for all of us!

#2097961 - 06/07/13 03:33 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Hmmmm, I've thought about vacationing in Portugal before.... maybe I need to revive those thoughts.

Estonia L190 #7284

#2098027 - 06/07/13 05:45 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: CarlosCC]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Quote:

Oh like their gonna give me a passport! Just kidding I have one. grin If I could save the money in time it would be a go. I don't believe in living on charge cards. It took me years to save for my AP. Just my house and car now are on credit. This is a necessity I guess. wink

Never get directions from someone who hasn't been there.

#2098038 - 06/07/13 06:05 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Ragdoll]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: Ragdoll
Quote:

Oh like their gonna give me a passport! Just kidding I have one. grin If I could save the money in time it would be a go. I don't believe in living on charge cards. It took me years to save for my AP. Just my house and car now are on credit. This is a necessity I guess. wink

If you start saving now you've probably got a year - maybe even 13 months to save..... it could work out!

and if JimF came too....wow, that would be splendid!

and if you guys need MORE time to save,..... keep in mind 2015 will be Italy (and there is an Expo on in Milan that year too).

Edited by casinitaly (06/07/13 06:06 PM)

#2098084 - 06/07/13 07:31 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
1000 Post Club Member

I hope to get there in 2014, I could use it on a stop over to my native country (Scotland). I have also wanted to do one of the Camino walks since first hearing about them. Either way Italy in 2015 sounds good too.

#2101743 - 06/12/13 10:01 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
FarmGirl Offline

So it's July 13 / 14. I'm missing it by a couple of weeks (sobbing!). I will be in UK for the week of June 24 and can stay over next week for fun but cannot extend it one more week. I will just roam around London and come home on the 4th of July. Anyway, have fun.

#2101803 - 06/13/13 02:43 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: FarmGirl]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: FarmGirl
So it's July 13 / 14. I'm missing it by a couple of weeks (sobbing!). I will be in UK for the week of June 24 and can stay over next week for fun but cannot extend it one more week. I will just roam around London and come home on the 4th of July. Anyway, have fun.

Oh, :((( That is too bad. It would have been absolutely delightful to meet you in person.

Edited by casinitaly (06/13/13 02:43 AM)
Edit Reason: some mornings I can't seem to spell :)

#2101839 - 06/13/13 06:59 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
casinitaly Offline

ONE MONTH TODAY, TO THE EPP smile

Where is that happy dance smiley ?? smile

#2101851 - 06/13/13 07:48 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
Happy Birthday TwoSnowflakes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Ooh, I can make Lisbon, I think! I'll be in Madrid that summer and it's only a skip hop and a jump from there to Lisbon!
Grieg, Four Norwegian Dances, Op. 35

#2101894 - 06/13/13 10:02 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: casinitaly]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

ONE MONTH TODAY, TO THE EPP smile

Where is that happy dance smiley ?? smile

grin thumb Can't wait! We are going to have so much fun! I am making plans for Lisbon 2014 too!

#2102048 - 06/13/13 03:45 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida

Estonia L190 #7284

#2102095 - 06/13/13 05:17 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: JimF]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: JimF

Calvin and Hobbes! smile I haven't seen them for ages.
Thanks Giacomo - that's a super happy dance!

#2106580 - 06/23/13 05:17 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
Allard Offline

Perhaps a little late to the party, but I've just booked my train ticket! I should arrive 11:18 in the morning and depart 20:42 the same day. Hopefully that's enough time, including dinner.

#2106612 - 06/23/13 08:21 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Allard]
King Norre Offline

Loc: Antwerp, Belgium
Hey guys,

I just read this entire topic. I think it's a great idea! I just had my first lesson this week so I guess you could say I'm not even a beginner yet grin I just joined this forum and it's too soon for me to go to a piano party because I can not play anything yet and I don't know the people here yet. I like the idea of meeting people with the same passion for the instrument though. I hope by next year I'll be able to play something and join you guys wink
Have fun !

#2106705 - 06/23/13 12:06 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]

It's fine, Allard! I live really close to the train station. Remind me to send you a PM with my address before I leave for my scouting trip next Tuesday.

ETA: good to hear of another possible candidate who will help us turn the EPP into a (hopefully) recurring tradition! Welcome to PW!

Edited by Saranoya (06/23/13 12:08 PM)

Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9
Near-future
Finish Burgmüller 100
Handel 437/4
Bartok Sz. 56

#2107035 - 06/24/13 02:32 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Allard]
casinitaly Offline

Perhaps a little late to the party, but I've just booked my train ticket! I should arrive 11:18 in the morning and depart 20:42 the same day. Hopefully that's enough time, including dinner.

Yippee !

Not even 3 weeks to go now, what fun!!

#2107625 - 06/25/13 04:11 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
Allard Offline

So I was consulting Google Maps to see how to get from the train station to Saranoya's place. Apparently there's a street named after me, Allardstraat laugh

#2107647 - 06/25/13 06:03 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Allard]
casinitaly Offline

So I was consulting Google Maps to see how to get from the train station to Saranoya's place. Apparently there's a street named after me, Allardstraat laugh

Well - that's amusing.
I doubt I'll find any streets named after me !! lol

#2107649 - 06/25/13 06:21 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'll miss the 1st EPP, but I'll be in Brussels on 20/21 June (1 week after your EPP). Maybe I still go to hear the "echoes" of your performances... smile

CarlosCC records

#2107654 - 06/25/13 06:46 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: CarlosCC]
casinitaly Offline

I'll miss the 1st EPP, but I'll be in Brussels on 20/21 June (1 week after your EPP). Maybe I still go to hear the "echoes" of your performances... smile

Missing us by one week! What a pity you can't come on 13 July darn darn darn.....

#2107655 - 06/25/13 06:51 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: casinitaly]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Missing us by one week! What a pity you can't come on 13 July darn darn darn.....

Yes... only 1 week frown
13 July I'll be on vacations with my family... it's too complicated to reschedule all the stuff...

Correction: As you understood, I wanted to say 20/21 JULY (not June).

CarlosCC records

#2108280 - 06/26/13 09:17 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
PaperClip Offline

Hi,

I've some bad news that I don't go on holiday for next two weeks due the hospitalisation of my mother.

A little bright sight of this, I can come to piano party.

#2108345 - 06/26/13 12:06 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: PaperClip]
casinitaly Offline

Hi,

I've some bad news that I don't go on holiday for next two weeks due the hospitalisation of my mother.

Well, I'm sorry to hear that your mom has to go to the hospital - but what great news that you will be able to join us!

#2108606 - 06/26/13 06:06 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: PaperClip]
patH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi,

The more, the merrier!
Wishing you and your mother the best.

#2108607 - 06/26/13 06:06 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
Sorry to hear that, Chris, I wish your mum a speedy recovery.

My website

#2108873 - 06/27/13 04:10 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
PaperClip Offline

Thank you smile

#2109538 - 06/28/13 09:12 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I was wondering... well, it's a kind of weird, but is there any chance to do a Skype connection with Saranoya's computer during the 1st EPP? Just because I'm very sorry for not being able to go and I thought that's a good way to "be" with you for awhile.
It would be a good way to know you all!

Chris, I wish your mother a quick recovery.

CarlosCC records

#2109619 - 06/28/13 11:48 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]

@ Carlos: I have nothing in principle against setting up a Skype call with you during the party. However, my Internet connection is not that great. I can't promise there won't be quality distortions and/or lag.

If still interested, PM me your Skype handle.

@ PaperClip: I'm delighted that you will be joining us. Sorry about the circumstances, though. Best wishes to your mother.

Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9
Near-future
Finish Burgmüller 100
Handel 437/4
Bartok Sz. 56

#2111345 - 07/02/13 03:55 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
PaperClip Offline

Thank you, Carlos and Saranoya

Good news is that my mother is dismissed from the hospital. That's a big relieve for me. Now I can go to the piano party in a relaxed way. smile

It's almost 13th july, btw. smile

#2111391 - 07/02/13 06:54 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
Allard Offline

About time to get nervous!

#2111392 - 07/02/13 06:56 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
casinitaly Offline

Chris, I'm glad your mum is out of the hospital! It is great that you can come to Brussels and feel relaxed about her being ok.

Allard......about time NOW???? Heck, I started 2 weeks ago! smile

#2111657 - 07/02/13 03:16 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
Great news, Chris!

My website

#2112174 - 07/03/13 12:21 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Recaredo]
UKIkarus Offline

Loc: England, South East
Look forward to hearing about how things go smile

Hope it turns out well for all of you.

#2112202 - 07/03/13 01:12 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: UKIkarus]
casinitaly Offline

Thanks UKIkarus!

We will definitely post about it!

#2112213 - 07/03/13 01:35 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: casinitaly]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks UKIkarus!

We will definitely post about it!

Don't forget to take pictures! thumb

CarlosCC records

#2112687 - 07/04/13 09:05 AM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
UKIkarus Offline

Loc: England, South East
Absolutely, must see the pics smile

I guess it can be considered a holiday in one respect.... never been on any myself mind you haha

Maybe some day in the future wink I'll keep an eye out for them anyways.

#2114681 - 07/08/13 01:51 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: Saranoya]
casinitaly Offline

Looks like we're going to have good weather !

Not that it is important for the party, but as some of us are planning to take in an outdoor jazz festival that evening...well, it sure helps!

I've got to photocopy some pages - I don't want to be carrying 200 page books!

#2114685 - 07/08/13 02:02 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: casinitaly]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

I think I will do some photocopying myself. I think I have things memorized, but it never hurts to have the music as a safety net!

I am really looking forward to meeting everyone!

#2114779 - 07/08/13 05:01 PM Re: European Piano Party [Re: SwissMS]
patH Offline
500 Post Club Member

I think I will do some photocopying myself. I think I have things memorized, but it never hurts to have the music as a safety net!

I am really looking forward to meeting everyone!

Me too! smile
I already made my copies when I learned the pieces, and found a way to fold them so that I only have to turn pages once during a movement. Of course it only will work if I have place for 4 DIN A4 sheets on the tray.
But I'll try to play from memory.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... 10 11 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
97 registered (Atrys, adanepst, antony, ADWyatt, 27 invisible), 1250 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74198 Members
42 Forums
153491 Topics
2249187 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tired Fingers
by adanepst
3 minutes 52 seconds ago
Bechstein 7
by PhilipInChina
41 minutes 53 seconds ago
Premier Piano of New York
by FenderJazzMan
Yesterday at 11:58 PM
Top selling self-taught pianists?
by Sand Tiger
Yesterday at 11:06 PM
Just got my MP11!
by Dan Clark
Yesterday at 10:18 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission