Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 175 of 195 < 1 2 ... 173 174 175 176 177 ... 194 195 >
Topic Options
#2057667 - 04/01/13 07:23 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: zrtf90]
Kristina1 Offline

Loc: UK

Thank you so much for your great explanation, Richard.
Sorry that I could not thank you earlier,
but I was not on Piano World for the past days (cough, sneeze, cough...)
I shall print out your suggestions to think about them
and I thank you again for your kind effort,
it is very much appreciated,
Kristina.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2058785 - 04/03/13 03:52 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Mete Offline

Loc: Turkey
Hi everybody!

I decided to have a go at this course book. I have already finished Denes Agay's "Learning To Play Piano 1" and halfway through 2nd book.

Based on the recommendations from PW forums, I thought Alfred's course book would be a nice sight-reading fodder.. At least first 50 pages or so. I just skimmed through the pages and saw "The Entertainer", I guess it's a heavily watered-down version, but still way above for my petty sight-reading level.

#2059019 - 04/04/13 03:40 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
You're right, not everything in the book is super easy. A few of the songs near the end can be pretty tough, especially when you're working through the book for the first time with no previous piano experience. Alfred likes to tease us with a few more difficult songs mixed in with the easy ones. It gets worse in the second book laugh

I'd say, start sightreading at the beginning. By the time you get to The Entertainer, Amazing Grace and what have you, it may already be easier for you. Also, even if you cannot play it entirely as written, you can try to either play it more slowly, or leave out a bunch of notes, simplify chords; anything that's necessary to keep tempo.

#2059343 - 04/04/13 02:14 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Allard]
jonkertb Offline

Loc: West Central Indiana USA
new guy here with a question I hope I can make clear!!
on page 40 in Bastien's book and page 49 in ALFRED they both show the right hand moving right to play the F chord. Both books show the left hand simply stretching the little finger 5.
Why should the right hand move rather than again simply moving the little finger 5 over to the A?
In other words why use two different patterns for this chord and not the others?
tom in Indiana
thanks
Tom in Coatesville Indiana having begun this quest to play 15 March 2013. At 64 I hope I live long enough to be able to play something someone could recognize before I'm horizontal!! Found ateacher who is using my Alfred and Bastien books for adults now.

#2059355 - 04/04/13 02:52 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
jonkertb, are you talking about the fingerings shown for the C chord CEG vs. the inverted F chord CFA?

In the LH the standard fingering for CEG is 531. In the RH the standard fingering for CEG is 135. No surprises there: lay your fingers over five white keys, and press down every other key.

When you come to CFA, the standard LH fingering is 521. The standard RH fingering is 135. In both cases, the thumb and pinky cover the outer two notes of the chord, and then an intermediate finger is used for the middle note. In the LH, the thumb reaches right to get the A, and then 2 is the most comfortable finger for F. The pinky stays on C. In the RH, the pinky reaches right to get the A, and then 3 is the most comfortable finger for F. The thumb stays on C.

One might think that 145 would be a better fingering in RH for CFA, and then you just have to reach with 5 instead of also changing which key 3 lies over. But using 4 on F would induce an uncomfortable stretch between 4 and 5. Normally we prefer to stretch between 1 and the other fingers, but keep the other fingers closer together if possible.

So basically, the difference is because our hands are asymmetrical. So the mirror image RH acts differently than the LH over the same notes.

#2059357 - 04/04/13 02:55 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jonkertb
Both books show the left hand simply stretching the little finger 5.

I don't see this on the F chord. I see the LH 5 staying put on C (compared to its position for the C chord CEG). Are you mixing this up with the fingering for the inverted G7 chord BFG?

[ETA: oh wait, maybe I see what you mean. Are you looking at the pink diagram of a keyboard with the fingering for CFA at the top of the page?]

Edited by PianoStudent88 (04/04/13 02:59 PM)

#2059363 - 04/04/13 03:09 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: PianoStudent88]
jonkertb Offline

on the left hand F chord pg 48 they simply have you reach w/1
the F is played w/two in it's "home" position
in the right pg 49 they show both 3 and 5 shifting right...if I find it easier to mirror the left, playing F w/4 and the A w/5 why not do it that way?? Are they just accomidating folks w/weaker pinky?? I'm at those pages and don't want to move on until I can understand if there is a reason to do it differently w/the right hand??
thanks for your reply and thoughts!!
Tom in Coatesville Indiana having begun this quest to play 15 March 2013. At 64 I hope I live long enough to be able to play something someone could recognize before I'm horizontal!! Found ateacher who is using my Alfred and Bastien books for adults now.

#2059370 - 04/04/13 03:25 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

The reason is not to stretch between fingers other than your thumb if you don't have to. There are six white keys between C and A, so there has to be a stretch somewhere where a finger is not over a white key. The standard LH (521) and RH (135) fingerings both accomplish that, placing the gap between the thumb and the other fingers.

I agree that when first learning it feels easier to just stretch out the RH pinky and play 145, but IMO it is worth the effort to learn the standard fingering. When you start developing further skills from these positions, for example arpeggios, using the standard fingering will stand you in good stead. Also you will not always be coming to CFA direct from CEG, so having the standard comfortable automatic RH 135 on CFA as a practiced shape is important. Furthermore, learning to move your hands will also stand you in good stead as far as developing skills for more complicated music where your hands move much more.

That said, there are other styles which use other standards for fingerings. For example, I remember someone here saying that they use RH 124 on CEG, and then no move at all is required for RH 135 on CFA. And sometimes people have very large hands and even RH 123 feels comfortable on CEG. But for starting out, absent some compelling reason, I think it's worth learning to navigate the standard fingerings as shown in Alfred's.

#2059473 - 04/04/13 08:48 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: PianoStudent88]
jonkertb Offline

thanks
....I guess it is kinda foolish of me to even ask as both books had that as the fingering method.....I started on those pages today and worked to make the "un natural" natural as per those who have gone before w/a lot more knowledge than me!
thanks for the patience pianostudent88.....I'll hush up and do as I'm told LOL

#2059491 - 04/04/13 10:18 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

jonkertb, not foolish at all. Please keep asking questions.

For example, somewhere in the book is a version of, I think, Jingle Bells that doesn't use the rhythm we're used to hearing. So one question is, why do they do this? I think it's because the normal rhythm uses dotted notes, which haven't been introduced yet at this point in Alfred. Another question is, does it matter which way I play it, the way it is written or the way it should really go? And that has multiple possible answers. My answer is, it's useful to learn to play it as written at least once as an exercise in mind over matter and checking that you can read and play rhythms as written. But for actually playing it, I say the heck with the written rhythm and play it the way I'm used to hearing it.

And you will surely come up with other interesting questions about other aspects of the book.

Welcome to Piano Forums.

#2059523 - 04/04/13 11:39 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
lea69 Offline

Loc: Bay Area, CA, USA
Hi Everyone!
Nice to meet you all. I am so happy to be on here as this is my first time posting on these forums. I think it's great how helpful and encouraging everyone is to one another. I just wanted to share that I am currently working on the Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course/Level 1 book with a piano teacher. I am a complete beginner, never having had any lessons growing up, until now. I started taking weekly lessons about 5 - 6 months ago and things are progressing slowly but surely, so to speak. I am currently up to page 78, The Amazing Aerobics of Hanon. I have the accompanying CD and it's been extremely helpful for me because I'm not familiar with alot of these songs, so it's good to be able to hear how they are supposed to be played. Right now I'd say my biggest challenge is still in correctly identifying and reading the notes. I have some flash cards that I'm using to help me with this as well as just regular practice.

#2060142 - 04/06/13 01:34 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Alux Offline

Loc: Perth, Australia (Originally f...
Hi All,

jonkertb's question got me wondering about a simular experience I've recently come across.

On page 118 it tells me to practice the Fmaj scale RH with 1234 passing 1 under 4 continuing on to 4. At the moment I'm working on Chiapanecas (page 120)and I noticed on measure's 26 & 27 after C it staccato's Fmaj fingering 12345 (which is contrary to page 118) then repeats to Bb 1&3 at measure 11. To me it seems a bit awkward as written and wondering if it's just me or not. Wouldn't it be easier to finger 1234 1 under 4 then to 1&3 Bb?

Cheers! :-)
Alfred's Adult All-In-One Level 1 Graduate

#2061343 - 04/08/13 04:07 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
NoteBender Offline

Loc: Nova Scotia, Canada
I am looking for a technical exercise book to order online as an adjunct to Alfred's AIO Level One. Has anyone used the "A Dozen A Day" technical exercise books by Edna Mae Burnham? If so, did you use the "Preparatory" book and then book "One", were these a good fit?

Edited by NoteBender (04/08/13 07:04 PM)

#2061555 - 04/08/13 10:06 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: NoteBender]
scorpio Offline

Loc: Connecticut, USA
NoteBender, I have "A Dozen A Day, Book One". I use it for warm up exercises, no more than 10 minutes. Some days I do the exercises, some days I don't. I think the Preparatory Level is pretty basic. If you decide to purchase, there are versions which include a CD so you can hear what the exercise is suppose to sound like. Unfortunately I do not have the CD. I think the exercises are useful.

Yamaha P-155

#2063027 - 04/11/13 04:58 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
    just4fun Offline

Loc: Tulsa
    Hello everyone.
    I started the Alfred Book 1 a couple of years ago and then I broke my wrist!

I actually kept playing because it helped with the therapy, but then just lost interest until a couple of months ago.

So I have started all over again from page one and am now playing "The Stranger".

Oh, I also had lessons (many, many years ago!) when I was about 10 for about a year. This is a huge advantage because I already know how to read music.

So I'm excited to be playing again and I love reading this forum!

#2063065 - 04/11/13 06:53 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
    Mark... Offline
    4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
    just4fun, I remember you, welcome back from that terrible wrist injury.

#2063436 - 04/12/13 11:20 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
    just4fun Offline

Thanks for the welcome, Mark.
    I can't believe you remember me!

Glad to see you still visit us book one folks.

#2064661 - 04/14/13 08:17 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
    applejack Offline

Video update time! Once again, thanks for any comments or criticisms.

Blow the Man Down!

Cafe Vienna

Rock It Away

Joy to the World

Cockles and Mussels

Edited by applejack (04/14/13 08:17 PM)

#2064667 - 04/14/13 08:35 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: just4fun]
    Mark... Offline
    4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
    Originally Posted By: just4fun

Thanks for the welcome, Mark.
    I can't believe you remember me!

Glad to see you still visit us book one folks.

Your user name just seemed to stick...and I remembered the injury.

The Alfred threads are like my grown children...I leave them alone, but still keep an eye on them... laugh

#2064980 - 04/15/13 01:09 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
    just4fun Offline

Applejack- Nice job! That's a lot of songs to have ready at one time.

I finally gave myself a pass on "the stranger" and was able to immediately
    play Greensleeves and Go Down, Moses.

It's odd how one piece like The Stranger was so difficult to get right, and yet others that look to be at the same level come so easy.

Guess I'm grateful for the "easy" ones.

#2065311 - 04/16/13 01:51 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
    Alux Offline

Loc: Perth, Australia (Originally f...
    Hi Guys...

At the moment I'm working on "O Sole Mio!" on pg 124 and seem to be stuck at the arpeggiated chord measure on the last phrase. I'm doing my best but can't seem to get the hang of going from Bb/C to the chord on that measure. Any suggestions?
    Alfred's Adult All-In-One Level 1 Graduate

#2065340 - 04/16/13 03:26 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
    earlofmar Offline
    1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
    may not be much use; but the fingering of the c note on the treble clef changes from 5th to 2nd finger (during the hold down) allowing the 1st & 5th fingers to easily hit the rolling Bb.

You may of course be struggling to drop your 4th finger onto the F but you could try using the 5th finger as you come out of the roll.

As always practice this section over and over at a very slow pace until it becomes second nature.

The fingering is also not set in stone, you are free to experiment and find what is right for you.

#2065357 - 04/16/13 05:48 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
    raikkU Offline

How important is the CD? I just got my piano and the book but it doesn't have the CD.

#2065371 - 04/16/13 06:36 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
    earlofmar Offline
    1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
    I have not heard the CD but if it is the same as book 2 with accompanying instruments, it can be hard to actually distinguish the piano. This makes the CD less relevant, whereas book 3 has plain piano pieces making it an important aid.

This forum has the post "Important Topics on the Adult Beginners Forum" where you can listen to others play the content of all three books and much more.

However youtube will give you a number of different performances of the same piece to base your interpretation on. This is assuming you do not have a teacher to guide you.

#2065532 - 04/16/13 12:43 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
    PianoStudent88 Offline
    3000 Post Club Member

I think the CD has piano and other instruments on two separate channels. So you can turn down the left speaker and hear say just the piano, or turn down the right speaker and hear just the instruments (or maybe I have the speakers reversed). This doesn't seem to be clearly documented because this question, about not being able to hear the piano, comes up a lot.

#2065550 - 04/16/13 12:58 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Alux]
    PianoStudent88 Offline
    3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Alux
    On page 118 it tells me to practice the Fmaj scale RH with 1234 passing 1 under 4 continuing on to 4. At the moment I'm working on Chiapanecas (page 120)and I noticed on measure's 26 & 27 after C it staccato's Fmaj fingering 12345 (which is contrary to page 118) then repeats to Bb 1&3 at measure 11. To me it seems a bit awkward as written and wondering if it's just me or not. Wouldn't it be easier to finger 1234 1 under 4 then to 1&3 Bb?

Hi Alux, while there are general principles of what makes some fingerings preferable to others, fingerings are also individual to each pianist and what works well for one person may not work so well for another. You can experiment with both Alfred's fingering as given and also the fingering you propose and find out what you prefer.

One of the things to note that the Alfred's fingering illustrates is that there is the standard fingering when playing a scale as an exercise, and then there are the fingerings you might use when a scale or part of a scale appears in a piece. These might be different from the standard fingering, depending on what else is happening before and after the scale fragment.

In this case, I actually prefer the fingering as Alfred's gives it. The 1-2-3-4-5 in mm.26-27 makes it easy to run up from F to C. Then my hand rises in a gentle arch and descends on 1-3 for BbD in m.11. This kind of short (or perhaps medium) jump is something I'm used to doing.

I see the logic of what you are proposing. By turning the thumb under to play C in m.27, fingers 1 and 3 are closer to the their next places on Bb-D in m.11. (I wouldn't justify this by the fact that turning the thumb under is also part of the standard fingering for an F major scale, because in this case the scale stops at C and you have to consider what comes next in order to evaluate what finger to use on C.) I don't like this proposed fingering for myself, because, I feel like my thumb is trapped on the C and I'm having to dig it out in order to get it back to Bb. Also, although the thumb on C is close to Bb, it still requires a hand shift(from 1-3 over C-E at the end of m.27, to 1-3 over Bb-D at the start of m.11). So your proposal requires two hand shifts: one to turn the thumb under, and another to get back to Bb-D.

Of course, my preference partly depends on the fact that shifting from thumb on F to thumb on Bb is an easy shift for me. If that's still a challenging shift for you, and you find the shift from the turned-under thumb on C, to the thumb on Bb to be easier, then you can choose to practice to make the F to Bb shift easier, or you can just decide to use your proposed fingering and use the turn-under and the C to Bb shift.

#2066392 - 04/18/13 07:04 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
    raikkU Offline

Hey, a newbie here with a beginner question. I'm now on the page 20 of the Level 1 book.

I'm trying to understand how I can use counting or tapping to help me time the "pauses" between quarter, half and whole notes?

I can time the by the ear pretty well but how does one in practice count and play at the same time, any video examples?

Thanks.

edit: OK, I actually found some good resources after I figured out what I'm looking for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK8pzcjzUXE
    http://www.piano-play-it.com/music-rhythm.html

Edited by raikkU (04/18/13 07:33 AM)

#2067159 - 04/19/13 02:36 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
    just4fun Offline

Well, I have given myself a pass on Albert's level 1!

I decided to do the last songs that are added to the all-in-one (Over the Rainbow, etc) in my spare time and go on to book two.

This forum was a great encouragement to me. I wish everyone well and hope I see you all in the book two thread.

#2067789 - 04/20/13 08:56 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
    pianotimo Offline

Just started "Blow the Man Down" and it's a bit difficult, especially the first measure and the ones after that are similar to it. Anyone have the same problem?

#2067916 - 04/21/13 08:19 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: pianotimo]
    mattroilanh_tt Offline

Originally Posted By: pianotimo
    Just started "Blow the Man Down" and it's a bit difficult, especially the first measure and the ones after that are similar to it. Anyone have the same problem?

You seem to learn fast. I started before you and am stuck with Lone Star Waltz ^^ But I find that Lavender's Blue is more difficult than Blow the Man Down.
    • Suzuki Piano School Volume 1 & 2

Start Date: 11/01/2013

Page 175 of 195 < 1 2 ... 173 174 175 176 177 ... 194 195 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
    What's Hot!!
    Our latest Issue is available now...
    Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
    -------------------
    HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
    -------------------
    Sharing is Caring!
    About the Buttons
    -------------------
    Forums Rules & Help
    -------------------
    ADVERTISE
    on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
    (ad) HAILUN Pianos
    Hailun Pianos - Click for More
    Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
    Seiler Pianos
    Sheet Music
    (PW is an affiliate)
    Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
    (125ad) Dampp Chaser
    Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
    (ad) Lindeblad Piano
    Lindeblad Piano Restoration
    Who's Online
    153 registered (accordeur, Al LaPorte, Alex-SapRenovation, 45 invisible), 1906 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Forum Stats
    75574 Members
    42 Forums
    156262 Topics
    2294822 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
    New Topics - Multiple Forums
    Proper chunking method
    by Edtek
    07/29/14 03:10 PM
    Lamp for Piano
    by DancerJ
    07/29/14 03:08 PM
    Sonatina in G
    by Ritzycat
    07/29/14 03:06 PM
    schulze pollmann upright piano SP-114/p4
    by how0425
    07/29/14 03:01 PM
    Looking for my next piece
    by Mallory
    07/29/14 02:39 PM
    (ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
    | Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
    | Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
    | |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
    No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission