Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2068226 - 04/21/13 08:45 PM Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall today
William A.P.M. Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ecuador
I had the pleasure of attending his recital earlier today and was quite pleased by his performance. Here is the programme he played:

First Half - Chopin
Prelude in C-sharp minor, Op. 45
Ballade No. 2 in F Major
Ballade No. 3 in A-flat Major
Four Mazurkas, Op. 33
Scherzo No. 3 in C-sharp minor, Op. 39

Second Half - Debussy
Preludes - Book 1

Encores-
Debussy - Etude No. 11 "Pour les Arpèges composés"
Chopin - Etude Op. 10 No. 12 "Revolutionary"
Chopin - Ballade No. 1 in G minor

He was very generous with the last encore.
Hope others went and enjoyed as well. His Debussy was "spot-on". His pedal technique is real good.
I cannot forget his performance of the mazurkas by Chopin either. He kept the melody crystal clear and sharp.

I will also be attending his next recital in NYC which consists of Beethoven sonatas. Has anyone heard his Beethoven performances before? Anyone attending that one?

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2068228 - 04/21/13 08:51 PM Re: Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall today [Re: William A.P.M.]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
I've been blessed to hear him many times in Boston. So glad you enjoyed him today. I've heard he has been unwell lately and rumors his performances have suffered. I'm so glad to hear you thought he was spot on today!!

#2068311 - 04/21/13 11:11 PM Re: Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall today [Re: William A.P.M.]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Cool that you were there -- I was too.
IMO it's more complicated than what you said grin ....I'll be doing an extensive write-up later.

#2068317 - 04/21/13 11:16 PM Re: Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall today [Re: Mark_C]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Mark_C
Cool that you were there -- I was too.

That makes three of us...and I think I might have seen you; where were you sitting?

I'll also be doing a little bit of analysis later. grin

Polyphonist

#2068324 - 04/21/13 11:25 PM Re: Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall today [Re: Polyphonist]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
....I think I might have seen you; where were you sitting?

Rear parquet (i.e. "orchestra" level), non-keyboard side, on the aisle toward the middle.
(Seats Y2&4)

I wish you'd said hi!

BTW, I had the most incredible experience with someone I recognized, a pianist that I'd met exactly once, 31 years ago, at a house concert on the Upper West Side. I saw him sitting on the aisle 2 rows in front of me, went up and asked, "Is your name Roman?" Since he didn't answer right away and I thought maybe he didn't hear it clearly, I said his last name too. It wasn't that he hadn't heard.....I guess it was that he was searching his memory to remember who I was. And I couldn't believe it, but he remembered too! Before he started saying anything and as he was still having just a concentrating look, I said that we met once at a concert. He then said, "It wasn't really a concert..........and this was more than 30 years ago." Then, besides catching up a little, we spent most of the rest of the conversation talking about how unbelievable it was that we'd both remember it. Maybe this sounds like nothing, but to me, things like this are just beautiful. cool

#2068325 - 04/21/13 11:32 PM Re: Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall today [Re: Mark_C]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

....I think I might have seen you; where were you sitting?

Rear parquet (i.e. "orchestra" level), non-keyboard side, on the aisle toward the middle.
(Seats Y2&4)

I wish you'd said hi!

BTW, I had the most incredible experience with someone I recognized, a pianist that I'd met exactly once, 31 years ago, at a house concert on the Upper West Side. I saw him sitting on the aisle 2 rows in front of me, went up and asked, "Is your name Roman?" Since he didn't answer right away and I thought maybe he didn't hear it clearly, I said his last name too. It wasn't that he hadn't heard.....I guess it was that he was searching his memory to remember who I was. And I couldn't believe it, but he remembered too! Before he started saying anything and as he was still having just a concentrating look, I said that we met once at a concert. He then said, "It wasn't really a concert..........and this was more than 30 years ago." Then, besides catching up a little, we spent most of the rest of the conversation talking about how unbelievable it was that we'd both remember it. Maybe this sounds like nothing, but to me, things like this are just beautiful. cool

Great story! smile

And no, it wasn't you then, it was someone who looked like you. I was sitting in the very back of the top balcony. It was the only seat left. grin

Polyphonist

#2068332 - 04/21/13 11:45 PM Re: Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall today [Re: Polyphonist]
William A.P.M. Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ecuador
Great story Marc_C. =)
Polyphonist, I was on the balcony too since I purchased the ticket rather late but I was on the very edge of the center, so I thought my seat was perfect.

What did you think of people leaving right after the 1st and 2nd encores? Remember when all of a sudden he sat down for the Ballade, and people actually listened to the whole thing standing up? I think Pollini was very generous.

I'll be catching his next all-Beethoven recital as well - the Waldstein never disapoints!

#2068333 - 04/21/13 11:47 PM Re: Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall today [Re: William A.P.M.]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

The episode at the end was hilarious...they couldn't decide whether he should bow again or not, so the lights went half up and they almost closed the door, and then reopened it and he came out again... grin

Polyphonist

#2068339 - 04/22/13 12:00 AM Re: Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall today [Re: Polyphonist]
Mark_C Offline

....no, it wasn't you then, it was someone who looked like you....

Oh -- I think I know who it must have been. Not too many people look like me.....
(this guy)

#2068341 - 04/22/13 12:03 AM Re: Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall today [Re: Mark_C]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

....no, it wasn't you then, it was someone who looked like you....

Oh -- I think I know who it must have been. Not too many people look like me.....
(this guy)

Interesting... grin

So what were your impressions of the concert?

Polyphonist

#2068342 - 04/22/13 12:05 AM Re: Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall today [Re: Polyphonist]
Mark_C Offline

.....I'll need a few more minutes or something for it to settle in.
As I said, a little complicated. smile

#2068343 - 04/22/13 12:09 AM Re: Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall today [Re: William A.P.M.]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I'll just say that on the whole, I was disappointed. Detail coming later. grin

Polyphonist

#2068346 - 04/22/13 12:17 AM Re: Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall today [Re: Polyphonist]
Mark_C Offline

I'll just say that on the whole, I was disappointed. Detail coming later. grin

My lady asked me if I thought a lot of people were disappointed. I said probably not, because "disappointment" requires that there was some greater expectation. I said that I thought that perhaps oddly, if people were "disappointed," it was mainly about things that had little to do with why most of us would be critical about the playing -- i.e. it would have been about technical imperfections rather than musical things.

I guess we're starting to give our reviews before we intended to. grin

Yeah, there were technical issues -- but IMO not that much, at least not if we take into account that he's not 20 any more, that he was known to be very ill for much of last year and that there were even rumors of his passing. Considering all of that, I thought that technically the performance was very impressive.

#2068395 - 04/22/13 02:13 AM Re: Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall today [Re: William A.P.M.]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I was particularly unimpressed at the performance of the 2nd Ballade; he missed a lot of notes and I could hardly hear any of the voicing. The beginning of the first Presto con fuoco and most of the coda were particularly horrifying (I winced when he missed that first A octave in the former section). The Andantino sections were not very musical either. The second half of the concert was better than the first half. More details coming later. grin

Polyphonist

#2068397 - 04/22/13 02:15 AM Re: Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall today [Re: William A.P.M.]
Mark_C Offline

OK, let's see....

I always assumed Pollini was much more than the caricatured negative image of him that we often hear, i.e. just fingers, no soul or musicianship. And indeed he is, even at this fairly advanced age and even after a period of time when it seems he was having some serious medical issues. He has a beautiful basic sound, and consistently so, with good balance. His 'fingers' are still terrific although not flawless. He plays with conviction, with great continuity, and with excellent pulse. His tempos were almost always faster than I would have liked but they 'worked.' He conveys an excellent and clear basic understanding of the music, and it never sounds contrived or uncertain; he always seems to be playing exactly what he means. And, not to be taken for granted, he played from memory and had no problem with that.

But while it's unfair and wrong to write him off as "just fingers," there's a lot we could criticize about expressiveness. He doesn't seem much interested in the soft end of the dynamic range, which seems strange for someone who is so identified with Chopin. I was most struck that he doesn't explore nuances of softness, didn't spend much time at the softer end, and never "whispered." While he does play melodies beautifully (and very enjoyably, very "listenably"), I didn't find any subtlety. As I've said a few times about some of our members' recordings, Chopin's melodies are full of notes and sub-phrases that seem to cry out for special attention, little places that just 'grab' us and make us want to do 'something,' but he rarely does; he seems curiously un-grabbable, and tends to go right past those kinds of places as though nothing much was happening. This helps give his playing the admirable continuity that it has, but to me, a lot gets missed.

While his fingers are still terrific, and there weren't many 'wrong notes' at all, there were many key notes that didn't come out, at least not much. Those things seemed more from musical considerations than anything about fingers, because it seemed he didn't recognize enough how important those notes were and therefore didn't focus enough on them. And there were a few places, like the coda of Chopin's 2nd Ballade, where lots of notes just weren't coming out as they should have. We could still say that it had good momentum and even that it was exciting, but I think people who weren't familiar with the piece were probably completely lost, and with no sense of the syncopations because the passage wasn't solid enough for the basic flow to be evident. I think that a player who was more into the music than the notes would have tended to make the rhythms come through even if he wasn't getting all the notes, because they're such a basic part of what's going on in the music.

While his pulse was very good, he sometimes rushed, and worse, he rarely held long notes long enough and rarely waited long enough on rests.

I thought the Debussy was much better than the Chopin, although maybe that's because I don't know it as well and don't have such strong feelings, but I still felt there were the same kinds of issues with dynamics and lack of highlighting.

BUT THEN, for his second encore, he played a Revolutionary Etude like you wouldn't believe. I was like, WHERE DID THAT COME FROM? We could again say that the dynamic contrasts could still have been greater, but screw that -- it was SUPER. I thought, forget everything that came before this, it was bullshit -- this piece was the real Pollini, what we came for, and that it was worth everything. When he then started the G minor Ballade for his last encore, I think the whole remaining audience was struck that he was going to play such a major piece, and I think he played it very well, better than the earlier Chopin pieces, but to tell you the truth, I really don't know because my head and thoughts were still spinning from the Etude. ha

BTW, from what we could tell, it seemed that medically he's fairly OK, and I was thrilled to see that. I'm very glad he played this New York recital, very glad I could finally see him live -- and God, I'm glad he's alive. smile
And indeed, while we can quibble about his way of playing, he IS much more than the simplistic view of him that we often see.

P.S. (edit) Poly, I just saw your post. I liked his Chopin 2nd Ballade better than you did but our impressions are very similar. BTW it wasn't the first high A that he missed in the first fuoco section, it was the second high A. smile
I thought it stuck out like the proverbial sore thumb too, and it's one of the places I was thinking of when I talked about key notes that were missed.

Edited by Mark_C (04/22/13 02:22 AM)

#2068400 - 04/22/13 02:21 AM Re: Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall today [Re: William A.P.M.]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I'm talking about the first low A, the octave. He missed that too.

Polyphonist

#2068401 - 04/22/13 02:21 AM Re: Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall today [Re: William A.P.M.]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Come to think of it, also the second-to-last note in the Revolutionary. That one was worse.

Polyphonist

#2068404 - 04/22/13 02:24 AM Re: Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall today [Re: William A.P.M.]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

A lot of the notes in the Op 45 Prelude were glossed over or missed, and it felt like he rushed through it and didn't really feel the music. He doesn't wait long enough on rests. The end of that little cadenza section, which I really love, was all squashed together and much too fast.

Polyphonist

#2068405 - 04/22/13 02:25 AM Re: Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall today [Re: Polyphonist]
Mark_C Offline

I'm talking about the first low A, the octave. He missed that too.

Oh OK -- yes, I think I did notice that but didn't care so much about it and so I basically forgot it, especially when he then missed the second high A. And yeah -- I noticed that you said "octave" but since I was so struck by the missed high A, I figured that was what you meant and that you didn't mean "octave" literally. smile

....in the Op 45 Prelude....The end of that little cadenza section, which I really love, was all squashed together and much too fast.

I thought that was GOOD!

#2068407 - 04/22/13 02:27 AM Re: Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall today [Re: William A.P.M.]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

One technical thing I was impressed with, though, were the unison and third G minor scales at the end of the 1st Ballade. He used too much pedal, but they were astoundingly fast and smooth.

Polyphonist

#2068409 - 04/22/13 02:30 AM Re: Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall today [Re: Polyphonist]
Mark_C Offline

....He used too much pedal....

Slight differences of opinion once again: I thought his pedaling on the 1st one was masterly, strikingly so. I thought it was wonderful the way he had the sound continuing and then quickly fading.

Quote:
....but they were astoundingly fast and smooth.

The second scale (in 3rds) was a mess grin ....the last part of it anyway. But still, it did have a very good 'sweep.'

I thought it wasn't just pedal; the fingers just didn't really 'do it.'

Edited by Mark_C (04/22/13 02:34 AM)

#2068410 - 04/22/13 02:31 AM Re: Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall today [Re: William A.P.M.]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

His 3rd scherzo was actually not bad. I liked the D flat middle section; that was one place where he did use good dynamic contrasts. However, the coda contained a few more glaring missed notes, including several in the first "jumping octaves" passage.

Polyphonist

#2068411 - 04/22/13 02:32 AM Re: Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall today [Re: Mark_C]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

....He used too much pedal....

Slight differences of opinion once again: I thought his pedaling on the 1st one was masterly, strikingly so. I thought it was wonderful the way he had the sound continuing and then quickly fading.

Quote:
....but they were astoundingly fast and smooth.

The second scale (in 3rds) was a mess grin ....the last part of it anyway.

I thought it wasn't just pedal; the fingers just didn't really 'do it.'

Maybe I wasn't listening carefully enough. grin

Polyphonist

#2068413 - 04/22/13 02:33 AM Re: Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall today [Re: Polyphonist]
Mark_C Offline

....3rd scherzo ....the coda contained a few more glaring missed notes, including several in the first "jumping octaves" passage.

Yeah.
Almost nothing there was right.
My wife turned and looked at me when he did that. I just nodded slightly to let her know she was right, hopefully without anyone else noticing we were having a nonverbal colloquy. grin

BTW, you have a good ear and memory for such detail. smile

#2068414 - 04/22/13 02:35 AM Re: Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall today [Re: Mark_C]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

....3rd scherzo ....the coda contained a few more glaring missed notes, including several in the first "jumping octaves" passage.

Yeah.
Almost nothing there was right.

BTW, you have a good ear and memory for such detail. smile

As do you. smile

I like this "back and forth" type of thread, almost like a conversation...I wish there were a chat feature. smile

Polyphonist

#2068416 - 04/22/13 02:36 AM Re: Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall today [Re: William A.P.M.]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

What did you think of the rest of the 1st Ballade? I'd say it was better than the other two, on a whole.
Of course, there were a lot of issues in the coda. He missed several of the G minor 6/3 chords in the left hand at the beginning. wink

Polyphonist

#2068417 - 04/22/13 02:38 AM Re: Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall today [Re: Polyphonist]
Mark_C Offline

I talked about that above.....I think I agree but I really couldn't tell you because I was in a stupor from the Etude. ha

#2068419 - 04/22/13 02:40 AM Re: Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall today [Re: William A.P.M.]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Well, what were your impressions of the Etude? I really liked the way he started the piece, with the fortissimo chord and then that LH cascading passage. There was one place where he screwed up one of the LH "up-and-down" half-measure patterns, played almost all of it a half step lower.

Polyphonist

#2068421 - 04/22/13 02:41 AM Re: Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall today [Re: Polyphonist]
Mark_C Offline

Well, what were your impressions of the Etude?....

Looks like you might have missed part of one of my posts. I thought the Revolutionary Etude was A++++.

#2068422 - 04/22/13 02:41 AM Re: Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall today [Re: Mark_C]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Well, what were your impressions of the Etude?....

Looks like you might have missed part of one of my posts. I thought the Revolutionary Etude was A++++.

I was talking more specifically. ha

Polyphonist

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
91 registered (Al LaPorte, AndrewJCW, ando, Alux, andwi, 27 invisible), 1391 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75509 Members
42 Forums
156147 Topics
2293099 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Mendelssohn on meaning in music
by phantomFive
Today at 04:08 AM
Youtube! :)
by PianoPlayer98
Today at 02:46 AM
Youtube! :)
by PianoPlayer98
Today at 01:47 AM
Headphones Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear
by khopin
Today at 12:54 AM
How struts define pitch variation between tunings
by Bosendorff
Yesterday at 11:40 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission