Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#2068705 - 04/22/13 02:51 PM Mendelssohn recital Home.
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
Jakob Ludwig Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy.

Vital statistics ; born 1809 into a Jewish background but when his father converted to Christianity the name "Bartholdy" was added to make a distinction from the Jewish branch of he family.

From childhood he had a rigorous private education that started at 5 am in the morning.

A series of Grand tours completed his education.

A quote from Schumann ; "Who has not sometimes, at twilight, sat at the piano and, while improvising, unconsciously sung a soft melody? Now if, by chance, one can link the accompaniment with the melody in ones hands alone, and if, most of all, one is a mendelssohn, there comes forth the most beautiful songs without words"

Songs without words consists of eight books of six pieces, put out from 1829 onwards, the last two books being published posthumously.

It was intended largely for amateur pianists within a domestic situation and avoiding technical extremes.

Mostly mood pieces, some of which were written as personal messages from mendelssohn the pianist to appreciative ladies in society with whom the composer mixed, some were written for the ladies personal albums, five of the six books were dedicated to fashionable ladies.

(Source, The Great musicians, Mendelssohn part three page 34. and The new Oxford companion to music.)

Mendelssohn as a young man:

Edited by Rostosky (04/22/13 02:54 PM)

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2068707 - 04/22/13 02:51 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

There was a feeling that I'd 'bitten off more than I could chew' after I decided, a month ago, to take on one of the pieces no one wanted to do, as well as this one.

So, at a moments' notice, Beric offered to help. After studying the music for a few minutes, he played this rendition, unrehearsed.

I apologise to everyone for not being able to do this myself, and to Beric I'd like to say 'thanks Dad' for this and all the other occasions when you've helped me out.

Dipsy.

Opus 19 no.1 played by Beric.

Edited by Rostosky (04/22/13 02:56 PM)

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

#2068708 - 04/22/13 02:51 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Next up is opus 19 no.2

This time played by RagnhildK.

Edited by Rostosky (04/22/13 02:57 PM)

#2068709 - 04/22/13 02:52 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Onto opus 19 no.3

Played by EvelynS who hails from Indonesia and had this to say:

"This is the first time I'm learning a piece by myself. With so many pieces assigned by my teacher, it is almost impossible to focus solely on this piece. And I have been preparing for a competition so everything gets harder.

The hardest part is probably deciding the tempo. I can't possibly play as fast as how it is marked so I hope this will suffice."

Edited by Rostosky (04/22/13 02:58 PM)

#2068711 - 04/22/13 02:52 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

the UK.
Opus 19 no.4.

Played by Beric; this time being one of his chosen pieces!

Recorded at a moments notice, this is the better of only two takes as Beric had to go into Hospital the next day.

Factoid: Beric is probably the most senior ( we think) contributor to the recital !!

But its not up to me to let you know how young he is!

Edited by Rostosky (04/22/13 02:59 PM)

#2068712 - 04/22/13 02:52 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

And hailing from Norway ! We have ganddalf's playing of opus 19 no.5.

Edited by Rostosky (04/22/13 03:01 PM)

#2068714 - 04/22/13 02:52 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

And to round up opus 19 we leave the cold Norway behind and hop over to sunny Spain!

Recaredo had this to say about his chosen piece opus 19 no.6

"Learning this piece has been a huge effort for a beginner like me, struggling with hard times, even thought that I wouldn’t be able to submit. But I love this music and really wanted to participate in this outstanding project. So I believe the long learning process has been worth it.

For the video I chose a couple of paintings of my father, since he loved to paint boats and rivers, together with the sheet music of this song without words.

I hope you like it."

Edited by Rostosky (04/22/13 03:02 PM)

#2068715 - 04/22/13 02:52 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

And this is what Morodiene had to say from the recitals previous location...

"Opus 19 no.1 played by Beric: Great work with no rehearsals! This is such a beautiful piece and you really brought out the lovely melody

opus 19 no.2 played by RagnhildK: I'm not familiar with this one, but what a gem! I really enjoyed how you played it, too - nicely polished!

opus 19 no.3 Played by EvelynS: I really enjoyed the energy you played this with. I wasn't bothered at all by the tempo, not ever having heard it before. I'm now inspired to learn this one (I have a feeling I'm going to be adding a lot of these pieces to my already extensive list of pieces to learn) wink

Opus 19 no.4. Played by Beric: This is one of the few SWW I had previously played. Thanks for sharing this with us and reminding me this is yet another great piece to play smile

opus 19 no.5 played by ganddalf: Wow, way to show off with memorizing your music - and with all that chromaticism! Nicely done with this perpetual motion piece

opus 19 no.6 played by Recaredo: Your hard work really paid off. Thank you for your very sensitive playing of this piece!"

Edited by Rostosky (04/22/13 03:03 PM)

#2068716 - 04/22/13 02:53 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

And what wayne said...

"This is great!!!! smile Congrats to everyone, gonna have a second listen wink"

Is everyone happy now?

Please say yes, I have mendelssohnitis in my left eye.

Edited by Rostosky (04/22/13 03:05 PM)

#2068723 - 04/22/13 03:09 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
Yes I´m happy now, I would have missed this thread wink.

My website

#2068759 - 04/22/13 03:54 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
ragnhildK Offline

Loc: Norway
I'm happy too smile

Thanks to Rostosky for all the effort to make this happen!

I have listened to the five (other) parts of opus 19, all very fine and personal interpretations. I feel so proud to be playing in this company !

Recaredo, I was really touched by the way you played the Gondellied - I love boat-trips smile

Edited by ragnhildK (04/22/13 03:57 PM)

#2068764 - 04/22/13 04:04 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Comments are also going into this thread?

Can non-participants also comment? Or should I stay out of here :-D

Anyway congrats all with this!

#2068769 - 04/22/13 04:10 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Anyone can comment, feel free and welcome, its for everyone not just the participants.

OOH, and a special thanks to Wayne, after all he did all the initial legwork and chasing folk!

( when I say chasing folk ,I mean in a non predatorial way!)

Edited by Rostosky (04/22/13 04:12 PM)

#2068773 - 04/22/13 04:17 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Repeating from the other thread. Thank you all op.19 participants, the playing was wonderful across the board. Just a pleasure to listen to.

Estonia L190 #7284

#2068777 - 04/22/13 04:28 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
dire tonic Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
Originally Posted By: Rostosky
....I have mendelssohnitis in my left eye.

Lol! I think that’s what Herbert Lom in the Pink Panther movies must have suffered from . I hadn’t realised Mendelssohn caused it.

Anyway, Rossy and Wayne, a resounding hand clap (more than one!) for your sterling efforts at putting this together. If old Thatch can warrant a state funeral, I think you both should as well (but not before your time, of course!). Or perhaps just an MBE each?

This is going to be a wonderful recital and what a superb start the op.19 is. Listening to everyone’s performance knowing that each has put his/her heart into it has touched my soul. Truly moving - this upcoming week will be one to remember.

#2068796 - 04/22/13 05:03 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
It's here! And I will finally get to hear all of the Songs Without Words! (Even scarier: I may find more pieces to torture myself with in the future.)

Op 19 no 1, Beric: First, I'd like to say I just want .0001% of Beric's talent. Second, that is just gorgeous. First take? Incredible. This is one of my favorite pieces, and I loved what you gave it.

Op 19 no 2, RagnhildK: I've not heard this one, but I enjoyed it. It's so graceful and delicate, and it sounds to me like you've done a great job.

Op 19 no 3, Evelyn: Another new-to-me. Wow! That piece is a workout. I think if it went much faster, some of the glory would go out of it. You've chosen well. Impressive and well played!

Op 19 no 4, Beric: Again, that was just fantastic. It's such a grand piece.

Op 19 no 5, Gandalf: I don't know this one either, but I want your talent too! You took up several of these pieces, and if you played them all like this, I am going to be avocado green. It sounds flawless! I can't wait to hear more.

Op 19 no 6, Recaredo: VERY nice! You played this better than I ever played it. I told you that you were going to do just fine with this piece, and you did waaay better than that! You have obviously inherited your father's artistic talent.

What an impressive start! I'm glad I'm buried somewhere at the end grin

#2068856 - 04/22/13 07:19 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
ElleC Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
This is the first time I'm hearing of Mendelssohn so I have no expectations and quite honestly, I'm not musically savvy to even comment on these entries. all I can say is bravo!

#2068875 - 04/22/13 08:04 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
Anyone can comment, feel free and welcome, its for everyone not just the participants.

OOH, and a special thanks to Wayne, after all he did all the initial legwork and chasing folk!

( when I say chasing folk ,I mean in a non predatorial way!)

It has been a pleasure smile Many thanks to all that have contributed, I'm actually speachless, this is Brill wink A massive thnx to you also Rossy, this is going to be an exellent week, love it!

#2068880 - 04/22/13 08:22 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: wayne33yrs]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
Wow!! Some very nice playing all of you!!! I wish I knew the music better than I do. But your playing of these pieces was a wonderful introduction to this music!!! Very well done!!!!!!

#2068891 - 04/22/13 08:56 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Rossy and Wayne
Thank you so much.

Op 19'ners,
Good job. I only knew one piece #2 heard it recently. Ragnhildk, you've done a excellent job. Bravo to Gandalf, of course. Beric - you are awesome. Wish you were here, I could've asked you to do mine too with a moment's notice ( ok, just kidding!). Love the way you play. Evelyn - great job, like your playing
which brought up the energy within the piece. Ricardo, my hat's off to you. I love the way you played. You are very musical. It's not an easy piece. You pulled it off and aced it.
Pieces at work - Schubert Sonata D960 2nd mvmnt Andante sostenute, Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1, Haru No Umi-the Sea In Spring (Michio Miyagi) for Flute & Piano (Nov Diversity Fair at work)

#2068925 - 04/22/13 09:48 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Greener Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
Wayne and Rossy ... fabulous job in setting this all up.

I've been looking forward to this recital with eager anticipation. The group conscience, encouragement and sharing of progress along the way makes this recital, extra exciting. I'm thrilled to be participating.

What a fabulous opening set. Very fine and enjoyable performances. Really nicely done everyone and terrific start to the week.

#2068937 - 04/22/13 10:04 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
As always, a great listening pleasure.

#2068944 - 04/22/13 10:26 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Valencia Offline

The recital is wonderful so far!! Thank you to all the Op. 19ers for their most enjoyable submissions. 3hearts I've listened a couple of times already and will be listening more! heart

#2069055 - 04/23/13 01:42 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
DanS Offline

Well done everyone! Mendelssohn has long been one of my favorites and I think he would be absolutely thrilled to know that people from around the world got together to play his Songs Without Words.

#2069087 - 04/23/13 02:41 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Ganddalf Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
Participting here has been a great experience, and Wayne and Rossy have done a great job, always being helpful to assist and answering questions. It isn't easy to be both artist and sound technichian, but it is great to have to opportunity of sharing music in this way.

I would like to give individual comments to those contriburing with Op.19 Songs.

Op.19.1 played by Beric. I think this could be considered a prototype of a Song Without Words. Songs or "Lieder" from the Romantic era are usually performed by a wocal and a pianist, but in these "Songs" the pianist has to do everything. What is very important and often difficult is to bring out the melody and mimic the vocalist at the same time as the "piano part" has to be done well. I think Beric mamaged this very well.

Op.19.2 played by Ragnhild. I had the pleasure of offering my own instrument for the recording of this piece, and was impressed that she was able to make such a good recording in just 2 or 3 attempts. This piece has some subtle middle voices. Not easy at all to bring out, Ragnhild managed beautifully.

Op.19.3 played by EvelynS. You don't need to worry about the tempo. You definitely play fast enough. I liked particularly the place in the beginning where the piano mimics the horns in the left hand. This really brings out the particular mood of this piece.

Op.19.4 played by Beric. Many of the comments to 19.1 also applied to this piece. I liked the performance very well.

Op.19.5 played by myself. I didn't give any comments along with my pieces when I submitted them, so I use the opportunity to add something now. This piece is formally almost a sonata with a first and second theme, a development part etc. The melody of the second theme first comes in the left hand (tenor level), and isn't easy to bring out. Technically this is a very hard piece. It is almost polyphonic and phrasing is important. Parts of the piece presents challenges similar to Bach music, while the development part could be a pre-study of Chopin's first Scherzo. I have spent much time studying this piece and am aware that I'm very close to my incompetence level here.

Op.19.6 played by Recaredo. This first of the "Barcarolles" in the series was beautifully played. I second Ragnhild's comment to this piece. Nice paintings too.

#2069100 - 04/23/13 03:44 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Rupak Bhattacharya Offline

Loc: West Bengal, India
What an wonderful arrangement Rossy has done for this heavyweight recital, with an excellent introduction appropriate for this theme! I think arranging themed recitals is one of the best ways to pay tribute to the Masters and their works. A big hands to the parents of this wonderful concept (Wayne and Dipsy I think laugh ) thumb I'm feeling very nostalgic wink So, please let me share some quotes from our parents from which this idea originated smile (Man, I had turn a lot of RST pages to find this lol)
It starts with Wayne, of course, our official Recruiter laugh (ohh, the context is Wayne, Dipsy and Rossy were struggling with the Metamorphosis series by Philip Glass...)
Originally Posted By: Wayne
Maybe between us, Rossy and whoever else wants to join in, we could do one each, so we do the whole 5, and maybe post it up on PW? Show the talent on RST wink

...Dipsy caught the idea at once smile :
Originally Posted By: Dipsy
That's great Wayne! Both Rossy and I will do one - Rossy wants to do met 4, and I'll learn met 3 (assuming you're happy to do no 2). I'm a bit nervous but looking forward to it.

If anyone else wants to prepare something - that would be wonderful, and if the pieces include met 1 and met 5 that would complete the set!. - though of course any piece which people want to share would be welcome, whatever it is.

How about preparing something ready for the beginning of September?

...and what else, Wayne started chasing laugh :
Originally Posted By: Wayne
errr Ok, I'll try, just need to get up to speed. Rossy you gonna do M4 on an accoustic piano?

Come on guys, we need 2 volunteers for M1 and M5! smile

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think nothing will be sufficient to appreciate the efforts, hard works and dedications Rossy and Wayne have put into this recitals!!! I dedicate all of my best wishes and prayers to you two!

And surely, hats off to all of the participants for their precious contributions which involve enormous efforts and intense loves and passions for music! Bravo, everyone, Bravo thumb

#2069117 - 04/23/13 04:54 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Op 19 no 1, Beric: this is one of the two Lieder Ohne Worte I am familiar with, having heard Wibi Soerjadi's rendition before. Beautiful piece. I'm amazed that you can study the score briefly and just play it so well.

Op 19 no 2, RagnhildK:
Op 19 no 3, EvelynS:
Op 19 no 4, Beric:
Op 19 no 5, Ganddalf:
Op 19 no 6, Recaredo:
All pleasant to listen to. I haven't heard these pieces before. This first batch is really promising for the rest of the Mendelssohn recital.

Rostosky, maybe you can make a Youtube playlist with all these videos? It would get everything nicely together (and then I can put it on repeat for the rest of the work day).

#2069149 - 04/23/13 06:57 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Mendelssohn related emergency:

I received a Pm this morning from Carey, and the news is bad: Carey has to go into hospital tommorrow and the recovery time afterwards will be long.

I wished carey the best as I feel sure all will do.

This leaves Opus 67 no.4 as being the only piece out of the 48 not done.

If anyone wishes to "step into the breach" and I know its a big ask, but if Anyone feels they can manage it then they have until friday night to do it, record it and send me the link, as it is due to be posted this coming saturday.

I need to know as soon as is humanly possible from any brave soul who thinks they can manage it please.

In the interests of fairness, this will have to be first come first served.....

Thank you.

Edited by Rostosky (04/23/13 07:01 AM)

#2069157 - 04/23/13 07:14 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
dire tonic Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
this will have to be first come first served.....

- you could probably expect one of the world's shortest queues for that!

I'm sure I've seen musicusblau (sp?) on youtube doing 67-4...since he's already involved in SWWs perhaps he would add that? (or is there more than one musicusblau?)...

(best of luck to Carey..)

#2069161 - 04/23/13 07:21 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
Thank you Wayne. And thank you Rossy for the effort you've put into making this such a special recital. The videos laid out this way are such a pleasure to listen to. Opus 19 was a great treat first thing on a snowy morning (yes snowy in Colorado again). Truly, I hardly know how to complement these excellent musicians. All of them were excellent.

Beric: your talent is so evident. On 19#1 the balance you achieved between the hands made this one sing beautiful harmony. On 19#4 you created a different mood...one that was light and playful. Awesome

RagnhildK: whatever you do to make this sound so effortless I wish we could capture in a bottle. Your music engaged my whole listening self.

Evelyn S: I felt like I should dress for riding. The tempo you chose felt perfect for hunting and I could imagine jumping fences and cantering across country with your energetic interpretation of this one. Nice.

Ganddalf: That was wonderful. The complexity of the piece at the exciting tempo you chose was so impressive. Loved it.

Recaredo: This piece is one of my favorites and you brought out the mood of the gentle movement of the gondola. Well done.

Love to learn

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
80 registered (antony, anotherscott, Anna Francesch, arX, 19 invisible), 1182 Guests and 39 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74307 Members
42 Forums
153691 Topics
2253033 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Spelling chords and using correct accidentals
by JoelW
Today at 03:11 AM
HELP! Is this strain because of my technique?
by T.M.E.
Yesterday at 11:26 PM
Is it my technique that's causing this?
by T.M.E.
Yesterday at 10:49 PM
Best brand of upright piano 48" or larger?
by WG40
Yesterday at 10:22 PM
Kawai MP11 vs. Kawai VPC-1 Action / Key Length
by jp2011
Yesterday at 10:00 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission