Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
182 registered (Alexander Borro, alfredo capurso, ajames, accordeur, amanda t, A Guy, 47 invisible), 1640 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#2069745 - 04/24/13 03:55 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
peterws Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Valencia

I thought the sound was really good .. .full of timelessness and expression. You enjoyed playing that longish piece, one can tell!

Felt sad about the pianos, but also about someone`s way of life ripped up. Perhaps in a time of war .. some o` those pianos will have seen through many generations and their joys and sadnesses. . all reflected in the vid and the nusic.

""

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2069748 - 04/24/13 04:01 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
peterws Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Next up with opus 30 no.2 is Numerian.

Lively and well played; I`m glad I never picked that one!

""

#2069751 - 04/24/13 04:06 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
peterws Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Opus 30 no.3 is played by Pianostudent88

Well done man. Another one I played in church 30years ago.. . It`s never easy to play what`s in front of you. I`m only starting to do that now, after all these years. . .

""

#2069754 - 04/24/13 04:11 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
peterws Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

DanS plays opus 30 number 4:

I shudder to think of playing to that standard. I could aim I suppose . . .ha ha great stuff on a fine sounding piano!

Edited by peterws (04/24/13 06:20 AM)

""

#2069758 - 04/24/13 04:22 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
peterws Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

opus30 no 5 played by Beric

That`ll keep yer fingers nimble! Lovely playing from one of our older pianists . . .heck, what am I saying? Aren`t that far behind meself . .

""

#2069759 - 04/24/13 04:22 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
Valencia: You're being hard on yourself.. that was great! And it's a long piece as well.

Numerian: That's so lively and fun and full of life! And I hope you got to spend lots of time on the Fazioli!

PianoStudent88: Well done! I don't think any of these are particularly easy - I don't care what anyone says! Actually, I read somewhere(and it could have been here? Oh, I wish I could find it!) that some big pianist would request that the pianists that wanted to play virtuoso-type pieces for him play selections from Songs Without Words instead. Something about Mendelssohn leaving no place to hide. And it's true!

Dan: Another workout piece... that was incredible! You're very talented!

Beric: Yay! More of you! You already know you're wonderful smile Hey, am I the only one who thought of Rachmaninov at the 15 second mark?

Diretonic: Oh, I love it! And that digital sounds GREAT! Your dynamics on it.. wow!

Ok you guys are all super talented, and again I am grateful to be tucked in the back.

#2069761 - 04/24/13 04:27 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
peterws Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

opus 30 no. 6 played by Dire tonic,

My flabber has just been well and truly gasted. Blown away. What you did and what you did it on . . .I want one. I want two . . .Better stop now. Wifey wants to use this thing . .

""

#2069799 - 04/24/13 07:56 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Valencia, Opus 30 no.1: Very nice work with the 3 vs. 2 throughout! I could hear the melody loud and clear over the busy accompaniment. You captured the essence of this piece very well in your playing! LimeFriday, great video, it matched the music very well. I wonder what effect it would give to play this with a slightly out of tune piano sound with this video smile

Numerian, opus 30 no.2: Beautiful! The piano, the playing, the room...everything! This is one tricky piece - those stretches in both hands had me shy away from it even though I love the sound of it. How did you manage it?

Pianostudent88, Opus 30 no.3: I never got the "thumb-over" thing as a term, either. Whatever you call it, you do it well! I've always loved this particular piece for it's hymnlike quality, and used to play it at church. You bring out the somber, majestic melody very well - it's easy to imagine a choir singing!

DanS, Op. 30 no. 4: Your playing has made me fall in love with yet another SWW! It reminds me a bit of Mendelssohn's incidental music for Midsummer Night's Dream for some reason, I can just imagine little pixies flying around playing pranks. Thank you fro this fine performance!

Beric opus30 no 5: As usual, you've done another great job on this tough perpetual motion piece - Mendelssohn certainly seemed to like those! That LH just doesn't quit! Thank you for your contribution to this recital.

Dire tonic op. 30 no. 6: I played this one as a teenager and it's always had a special place in my heart. You played this so musically! I think you did a fine job with the Privia and Galaxy work - I know the frustrations of
recording acoustic pianos well, and it's actually kind of fun to work with the software piano sounds and effects. Wonderful playing!

#2069817 - 04/24/13 08:44 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
thumb
Congratulations to everyone on such amazing performances!! Having participated in one of the earlier themed recitals, I know first hand what an incredible amount of effort is involved to pull all of this off. It's very inspiring.

I decided to start my day by first listening to the music on this thread! I guess I'll congratulate myself for making a good choice this morning! smile

I am looking forward to the remaining performances here. Thanks again for this wonderful music!!

#2069847 - 04/24/13 09:35 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Big standing ovation to Rostosky and Wayne for this incredible effort. I like that it's broken up into Opus' too, I can only take so much at a time.

All the performances were wonderful. A special shout out to Dire Tonic for stepping in and on a DP as well. It sounded great.

If it wasn't so early I'd offer you all an adult beverage. grin

Edited by Ragdoll (04/24/13 11:26 AM)
Edit Reason: Tryin to fix my screw-up

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

#2069914 - 04/24/13 11:14 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
Okay folks Todays opus (38) will be posted later on tonight , around 10pm ish UK time.

This "later than usual" posting is due to a small tech issue that is now overcome but robbed me of time.

anyways later folks, must rush towards that nervous breakdown.

Rossy.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

#2069929 - 04/24/13 11:39 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
It's amazing how the character differs between the Mendelsson Songs Without Words. Op.30 is no exception. Therefore it's never boring to listen to these pieces. Thanks to all who contributed with performing pieces from the second book.

30/1 played by Valencia: you have made a good job with this performance. Bringing out the melody in a four-part composition is one thing. Then comes all the 3:2 issues, occasionally single handed in this piece. This is absolutely not easy. I enjoyed your performance.

30/2 played by Numerian: This is one of the most difficult of all songs, but you handeled it with ease. I'm impressed, particularly by the left hand arpeggi.

30/3 played by PianoStudent88. I'm avare that studying and performing this piece has cost you a lot of effort. Listening to your performance I can hear that your effort really paid off and I'm sure that undertaking this task has brought you forward. I hope to hear more from you during upcoming recitals.

30/4 played by DanS: This was professional level. Probably impossible for most amateurs to reach, but still an inspiration.

30/5 played by Beric: Another fine performance of a veteran pianist. Excellent left hand work without sacrificing the melodic line.

30/6 played by Dire Tonic: You play the second Barcarolle beautifully. The melody stands out clearly, not only the first, but also the important middle voices. And you play with a lot of emotion.

#2070023 - 04/24/13 03:17 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

MORE ON MENDELSSOHN ;

Despite Mendelssohn's tutor Zelter's claim that the 14 year old boy was now a fully fledged musician, his 'father Abraham needed convincing that a career in music was right for his son'. However, once he had taken the boy to see Cherubini, director of the Paris conservatoire, who said 'Your son is talented. He will do well' he was satisfied.
His first 'mature' compositions: Octet op 20, and the Overture to the Midsummer Night's dream were written when he was about 17.

Mendelssohn was very close to his sister, and just before her marriage when he was 20 he wrote to her:
'This then is the last letter you'll receive before your marriage. For the last time I address you as Fraulein Mendelssohn Bartholdy...there's much I would like to say to you, but I'm not really able... I feel as if I had lost the reins with which formerly I was able to guide my life. When I think about everything which is now going to change, and take a different shape, everything which I have long taken for granted, then my thoughts become unclear and half wild.'

He spent several years travelling - especially to England which he was to visit 10 times. There were also visits to Scotland (seen as a 'romantic place), Italy and France.
On his first visit to the Uk he wrote:
I should like now to play my 'Calm Sea' for the public here and they would grasp and understand it much better than the circle of cultivated people in our salon. And yet they understand nothing of music.....also, by God I play better here than in Berlin, and just because the people listen with more pleasure.'

After 3 days in London Mendelssohn wrote: ' I hardly remember the chief events.Things toss and whirl about me as if I were in a vortex, and I'm whirled along with them. Not in the last 6 months in Berlin have I seen so many contrasts and such variety as in these three days.'
He wasn't keen on British folk music:
'Dear me, a harper sits in the hall of every reputed inn, playing incessantly so-called national melodies: that is to say most infamous, vulgar , out of tune trash, with a hurdy gurdy going on at the same time.'
SONGS WITHOUT WORDS
'Mendelssohn is especially associated with a couple of technical devices: one was the use of alternating instead of broken octaves, and the other was the sharing of a melody between the two hands over an arpeggiated accompaniment. Both were quickly to become standard practices'

SOURCES: The Great Musicians series, Issues 34 and 35 and The Great Composers series; issues 11 and 17

Edited by Rostosky (04/24/13 03:23 PM)

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

#2070024 - 04/24/13 03:19 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Kicking off Opus 38 today we have Dire tonic, who had this to say about no.1:

"I wonder if in 38-1 with its chugging 12/8 and bass/chord answer Mendelssohn has pressaged the blues 'feel'. It even starts out on an Eb7 and goes into a I IV V - how weird is that!!?? Ok, harmonically it then goes out on a limb but it's still quite a coincidence. Could it have made the cultural connection to its Afro-American roots? If so, there's a missing link, or two.

Easier to play than the 67-2 but much harder to memorise. It's not among my favourites of the SWWs but I like it more for having learnt it, and now I intend to hang on to it."

Edited by Rostosky (04/24/13 03:29 PM)

#2070025 - 04/24/13 03:19 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Moving on to opus 38 no.2 and , oh yes me, ooops.

Everything that could go wrong did. The video cameras battery died a prolonged and painful death just when I found time to record mine.

I foolishly tried with the phone to record the piano: It sounded so poor I wept.

I had to go and record it on my keyboard, and I only have pianotech installed, not the fancy expensive galaxy vintage wallet raper.

With so limited time I was still throwing a video together at 7 pm ( half an hour ago)

I am not pleased and will have to redo it when this is over.
I made silly mistakes due to rushing not wanting to be the only one who let the side down.

Looking for "lost happiness" in this piece is not easy, as the melody is not essentially sad.

Hmmmm.

Edited by Rostosky (04/24/13 03:37 PM)

#2070026 - 04/24/13 03:19 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Morodiene is next with Opus 38.no3.

"This piece would not have been one I chose to do out of the gate. I could tell from sight reading it that the stretch for the LH would be quite uncomfortable for me. I managed to play it but it would take much more time to make the 16ths even like I wanted. I tried to play it at a somewhat fast tempo even though it was at times out of control. I would have had to slow it way down to be more precise, and while even at a slow tempo it sounds pretty, I felt I should make the attempt at a faster tempo as best I could. In all honesty this piece could use a few more weeks of slow practice. I think I will keep working on it since I've taken it this far and just see if I can get it to a point where I'm satisfied with it."

Edited by Rostosky (04/24/13 03:40 PM)

#2070028 - 04/24/13 03:19 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Moving on to opus 38. no.4 we have Peterws.

Edited by Rostosky (04/24/13 03:44 PM)

#2070029 - 04/24/13 03:20 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Opus 38. no.5 Played by Dipsey and this is what she had to say:

"About a month ago I dreamt of this piece, having sightread it once. The next day, Wayne posted an appeal for 'takers' for the last 3 unclaimed pieces, and this was one. Thinking that I should help out, I took it on as an extra piece.
After false starts, I settled on a methodical approach to learning the music: deciding and practising fingering, attention to dynamics, etc and progress was steady. But with a week to go, panic set in, and despite Beric's suggestion that I practice my tricky bits slowly til they were ironed out, I began to play run throughs at speed. The speed seemed vital to me to help convey the relentless agitation Mendelssohn called for, even at the expense of accuracy. My playing began to unravel - expecially when recorded. This final result is something which may well have the 'commotion of a pure heart' (Schumann), but it also has many unintended 'commotions' of my own, for good measure! Whoops.
However, when I think about myself and my piano playing 'before' and 'after' this experience, I know that I've been pushed beyond my comfort zone because the piece was significantly longer, more difficult, and faster than anything attempted before, so I've probably improved. By helping to collate recital submissions and researching Mendelssohn for the blurb about him each day, I feel I've learnt a fair bit about his life and work too! Even though my playing will not compare well with that of other pianists taking part in this recital, I am just happy to compare one version of myself with another.
My heartfelt thanks go to Rossy who did all the technical stuff for me once again: recording, downloading files, etc and turning my idea for a video into reality. Thanks hun!"

Edited by Rostosky (04/24/13 03:46 PM)

#2070030 - 04/24/13 03:20 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

And to finish off Opus 38 today we have SamS:

This is what Sam had to say about the piece:

" I have been struggling with this piece for almost two years now, I learned it last summer and performed it in a live recital and submitted it to the ABF recital. Then I let it rest for several months before bringing it back. Hopefully I have improved!

Mendelssohn titled this himself: "Duetto". It was written as a wedding present for his wife. There are two voices, a feminine one and a male one, that alternate. Just before the long coda they come together in a big octave section. The coda is a real finger-twister. Hope you enjoy it."

Edited by Rostosky (04/24/13 03:51 PM)

#2070098 - 04/24/13 05:10 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
What a marvelous way to end my day! Thanks Dire Tonic, Rossy, Morodiene, Peter, Helen and Sam for your fantastic performances on the Op 38.

My website

#2070140 - 04/24/13 06:13 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
peterws Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

I am truly staggered. Never expected such quality; I am seriously encouraged to DO BETTER! Ha ha

Dire Tonic op38 1 Who knows his stuff then? This is another for me to have a go at; I did miss a bit o` reverb like you had for the last one you did! Truly astonishing in every way. I`m lusting after that piano . . what is it?

Rostosky 38 2 Loved it man. Nowt wrong wi yer Pianoteq . . Heck, it`s a long `un . . one might say you drew the short straw. Maybe I should say I drew the long one. . .

Moriedienne 38 3 Wondered who`d get this one! This and 38 5, I just shook my head to. It was so nicely played I wish I`d had a go meself now. But I bet everybody here`s darned glad I didn`t lol Lovely job lass!

Peterws 38 4 Couldn`t ya lay off the beer just this once, man?

Dipsey 38 5 Another which I wisely decided against . . you`re showing me the way home on this one. No doubt about it. Great vid . . your music moved! Went like a train . .

Sam 38 6 Another long `un! How d`ya play without music for so long without messing up? Well executed, man!

Mendelssohn`s rather good isn`t he? Very well done, guys!

""

#2070157 - 04/24/13 06:42 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Numerian Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Congratulations to everyone today. This is so inspirational and it is an honor to be associated with so many talented pianists. Every one of these performances is highly musical, and I think what is being revealed here is how truly great a composer Mendelssohn is. Pianists of all sort - amateur and otherwise - could do much worse than devote a lifetime of learning to the Songs Without Words. Not every day, but now and then, one piece after another. They are never musically tiring, and they are always technically challenging. The only other large collection of accessible music like this is Schumann's Album for the Young, and one of the last ones published was written on learning of the unexpected death of Mendelssohn from a stroke. Schumann was devastated by this news and fell into an emotional collapse from which he never recovered - that's how much Mendelssohn meant to him. This project is helping us understand why.

#2070361 - 04/25/13 12:27 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
DanS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Another nice round of Mendelssohn.

peterws, I love the video, and your playing. It looks like detached hands playing!

#2070391 - 04/25/13 01:22 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Dire tonic / you are so good. What a naturally musical performsnce!

Rossy - love both the music and picture. I never knew you are such a skilled player! Are you happened to be a druids at stonehenge? Just wondering.

PeterWs - I loved both music and performance

Meridian - needless to say wonderful performance. It sounds great the way it is but I'm looking forward to your future work.

SamS - you nailed it. This piece sounds wonderful and you brought the best. Congrats
Solo - Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Schumann Op 12 Warum, Grillen and a few short pieces by various composers
Collaboration - Concerto in C for Oboe and orchestra attributed to Haydn edited by Evelyn Rosewell and some duets

#2070404 - 04/25/13 02:49 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
Listening to each new piece on the list has been a real treat. This is also true for Op.38.

38/1 played by DireTonic: This is one of the pieces I haven't often listened to or attempted to play. I was most impressed by your performance of it. Once again you make out the melody line very clearly, and makes the music smoothly flowing.

38/2 played by Rostosky: A very emotional performance. You make real music out of this charming piece.

38/3 played by Morodiene: This is one of the nearly "unplayable" pieces in this collection. It is very beautiful and contains many nice modulations. As I understand from what you have been writing, you haven't been working on it for a very long time. You obviously is a fast learner, and I enjoyed listening to your performance.

38/4 played by Peterws: You really make out the special character of this piece. I didn't realise that it was such a great piece of music until I heard your performance.

38/5 played by Dipsey: This is one of the longer pieces, and technically quite hard. You managed to bring out some of the dramatic character of the composition. It must have been a lot of work needed to learn it.

38/6 played by SamS: The Duetto is one of the more famous Songs Without Words. It is a most beautiful piece, and much of the challenge is to bring out the "vocal" voices clearly. You play this piece very well. I noticed particularly that you have worked a lot on the awkward 3:2 places. Very inspiring to listen to.

Edited by Ganddalf (04/25/13 02:50 AM)

#2070420 - 04/25/13 03:50 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Dipsey - You are no doubt a true daughter of your great father Beric. Great performance of the long and challenging piece
Solo - Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Schumann Op 12 Warum, Grillen and a few short pieces by various composers
Collaboration - Concerto in C for Oboe and orchestra attributed to Haydn edited by Evelyn Rosewell and some duets

#2070427 - 04/25/13 04:35 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
This continues to be a very rare treat. A wide spectrum of skill and possibility is on show. Although we’re of varying abilities it’s impossible not to be moved, listening to those of us who’ve put themselves to the test like never before, knowing of the determination and sheer grinding effort involved. No matter how halting a performance, the magic in these pieces is still vibrant, still drawing us in. And songs that I quickly rejected as being close to impossible for me have been chosen and played by the more experienced with style and aplomb – sometimes after no more than a run-through or two. Will I ever be able to do that?....err, No.

So, play on!! Nothing else this week much matters.

for info: -
wouter79 – I had a couple of weeks for 30-6 but I’m retired so lots of time to work on it.

peterws – what you’re hearing is the galaxy vintage ‘D’ piano – a sampled piano that runs inside the computer (needs to be at least medium performance) triggered from the DP. You’re not hearing the DP at all. All you need is a midi or usb-to-host connector on your DP and you can have the same sound (or tweak it to your own taste - reverb/tone/pedal noises etc etc). £100 or thereabouts – you should treat yourself!

#2070446 - 04/25/13 05:45 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Dipsy Offline

Thanks for all your kind comments Recaredo, Peterws, Ganddalf, Dire Tonic, Farmgirl and Numerian. Its such a pleasure to be part of this project. There's no sense of competition, no egos, and the feeling of non judgement and acceptance from everyone for every single contribution made, is just wonderful.

Taking part has for me been a broader experience than 'just' attempting to learn a piece of music. There's feeling of being in a team - working towards a common goal, helping each other out if necessary, learning new skills, (awareness of technical equipment/recording process), and being creative in other ways too - making a video and writing and sharing our thoughts about the experience if one chooses.

#2070486 - 04/25/13 08:17 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Morodiene Offline

Dire tonic Op 38 No 1: Another nicely done performance! I'm impressed by your memorizing all your pieces too. I really appreciate the singing melody you bring - not once does it get lost in the busy accompaniment!

Rostosky Op 38 No 2: Perhaps it was the recording process that brought about the "lost happiness" you were looking for wink . The editor who chose this title must have had a premonition of the troubles you would encounter when choosing the name! I agree the name doesn't suit the piece very well. A fine result, however, in spite of the camera issues. To me it had a sense of urgency to it, like someone was anxious about meeting up with someone they care about who lives far away.

Morodiene Op 38 No 3: Well, I know what *I* think about my playing, but I'd like to hear from you guys on this. Please offer any constructive criticism or advice on what I should do to help as I will continue to work on this one. Thanks!

Peterws Op 38 No 4: Great arpeggios! And nice articulations throughout as well. You gave this piece a sense of being stately without being stuffy about it smile

Dipsey Op 38 No 5: Wow - a real challenging piece, and you really pulled it off! This whole adventure has really helped me appreciate Mendelssohn much more. I had played some of his SWW and while I loved them, I had no idea of the variety of skills needed to play these. This one in particular is among the trickier ones. The back and forth between the hands is not easy to do evenly, especially over an entire piece - thank you!

SamS Op 38 No 6: OK, I'm in love with another one of these I'm going to have to learn now! Was the laptop recording the audio for you? I see what you mean about that being tricky when the two come together at the end. Still, you conveyed that it was a very powerful moment and it was exciting to hear the two "lovers" finally come together!

#2070487 - 04/25/13 08:20 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Ganddalf]
Morodiene Offline

Originally Posted By: Ganddalf

38/3 played by Morodiene: This is one of the nearly "unplayable" pieces in this collection.
And here I thought it was just me LOL!

Quote:
It is very beautiful and contains many nice modulations. As I understand from what you have been writing, you haven't been working on it for a very long time. You obviously is a fast learner, and I enjoyed listening to your performance.
Thank you, I started it when I found out about the recital mid-Feb. I think it was, and I was out of the country for 10 days in March where it was impossible to practice. So all things considered, not as much time as is needed for this piece. So thank you!

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
The February 2015 Issue of our Free Piano News Newsletter is out now! FREE Piano Newsletter
--------------------
The best thing I've learned on Piano World....
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
162 Years Ago...
by Plowboy
03/06/15 04:30 PM
Casio px850 vs Casio px860
by TECHFRANZ
03/06/15 03:58 PM
Pianodisc install/upgrade pros and cons?
by JustHarmony
03/06/15 03:16 PM
Yamaha DGX-650 successor?
by RWH
03/06/15 01:59 PM
NSL Analysis of Stability
by Mark Cerisano, RPT
03/06/15 01:56 PM
Forum Stats
78,429 Registered Members
43 Forums
162,148 Topics
2,380,641 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission