Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#2070491 - 04/25/13 08:24 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Dipsy]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: Dipsy
Thanks for all your kind comments Recaredo, Peterws, Ganddalf, Dire Tonic, Farmgirl and Numerian. Its such a pleasure to be part of this project. There's no sense of competition, no egos, and the feeling of non judgement and acceptance from everyone for every single contribution made, is just wonderful.

Taking part has for me been a broader experience than 'just' attempting to learn a piece of music. There's feeling of being in a team - working towards a common goal, helping each other out if necessary, learning new skills, (awareness of technical equipment/recording process), and being creative in other ways too - making a video and writing and sharing our thoughts about the experience if one chooses.

This was really inspiring for me. As a teacher and accompanist, I play out of necessity, but rarely for myself. The pieces I want to learn usually take a back seat when other music is needed for some purpose, so I find myself working on pieces for way too long. Doing something like this with having a deadline helped me retain the focus to see it through. Thanks to Rostosky and wayne33yrs for coming up with this and running with the idea.

I can't help but think: what's next? smile
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2070557 - 04/25/13 10:46 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Morodiene]
Sam S Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: Morodiene

SamS Op 38 No 6: OK, I'm in love with another one of these I'm going to have to learn now! Was the laptop recording the audio for you? I see what you mean about that being tricky when the two come together at the end. Still, you conveyed that it was a very powerful moment and it was exciting to hear the two "lovers" finally come together!

Thanks Morodiene. Yes I am recording the audio with the laptop and audacity and a microphone that might not be visible. Then I have to sync the audio and video, which is a pain.

By the way, whenever I see myself in a video, all I can think is - who is that old man? That can't be me!

Sam
Every ABF recital since #13 Feb '09!
ABF Recital Index
My Recital Performances

#2070560 - 04/25/13 10:54 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Morodiene]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.

I can't help but think: what's next? smile

I believe it is going to be the Grieg lyric pieces (I think theres about 60 to choose from) this was suggested By Recaredo a while back....

But keep it quiet shhhhhsh!! we are still only half way through this when todays are posted!!

Edited by Rostosky (04/25/13 10:55 AM)

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

#2070618 - 04/25/13 12:12 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

MENDELSSOHN AGAIN...
Mendelssohn the young man, spent much time travelling, especially between London and Germany. He first came to London as a gentleman amateur, an observer, with an entree into polite society.

He then added to his circle of friends...and by 1833 he was a celebrity.
An organ recital he gave at St Paul's cathedral was an immense success.

Here is Mendelssohn in the company of Queen Victoria and Albert....

On romanticism:
'Mendelssohn was not of the stuff that romantics are made: 'pining for what is not'. Like anyone else, he had his aspirations, but they were attainable ones. He shunned the grotesque, the exaggerated, the heroic gesture, the histrionic pose the promotion of the great ' I am'.
... He was born to rationalism, to moderation, to virtue ' (though he was also 'volatile, restless and irritable').
'Though proud to call himself a German, consious nationalism, in whatever form, was something he liked as little as cosmopolitanism.'

source :Great Composers series issues 11 and 17 and the Great Musicians series issues no 34 and 35

Edited by Rostosky (04/25/13 12:18 PM)

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

#2070620 - 04/25/13 12:12 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Taking us to the Halfway mark in this recital we move onto opus 53. And starting us off with Opus53 no.1 we have Morodiene .

Here are Morodienes thoughts on this piece:

"I chose this one because of the slower tempo, which always gives more room for "musical moments" than a fast tempo does. There's always room for improvement, so I can't say I feel this piece is "complete" or "ready", perhaps "sufficient" is a better word for it."

Edited by Rostosky (04/25/13 12:23 PM)

#2070622 - 04/25/13 12:13 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Moving onto Opus 53. no. 2 we have Ganddalf, who tried a very cunning trick to confuse me by calling it Opus 52 on his youtube page!!

You have to get up earlier in the morning than that to fool old Rossy!

Edited by Rostosky (04/25/13 12:27 PM)

#2070624 - 04/25/13 12:13 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Musicusblau performed the next piece Opus 53.no.3.

Musicusblau had this to say:

"I play here the Song Without Words, op. 53, nr. 3, Presto agitato, by Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy."

Note from Rostosky:
After checking everyones link at least five times, I failed to check when they had been posted here, In this instance embedding has been "disabled by request" So, folks you will have to click on the part of the video that says "watch on youtube"

Musicusblau, if you see this could you change your youtube settings?

Edited by Rostosky (04/25/13 02:07 PM)

#2070625 - 04/25/13 12:13 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

opus 53.no4 was played here by Wisebuff...

Edited by Rostosky (04/25/13 12:38 PM)

#2070626 - 04/25/13 12:13 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

SamS took up opus 53.no5 and had this to say about the piece:

"Comments: Mendelssohn titled this piece himself: "Volkslied". It brings to mind a rousing male chorus, belting out a heroic song. It's difficult for me to shape the music, since it is marked "con fuoco", "con forza", "sempre con forza", "assai forte", "sempre forte", with a liberal sprinkling of sforzandos. It never lets up, except for the brief interludes and the coda. Hope you enjoy it!"

Edited by Rostosky (04/25/13 12:41 PM)

#2070627 - 04/25/13 12:13 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

And to finish off todays Opus and take us up to the half way point is Kaz63piano,

Kaz63piano is an amateur pianist from Japan.

Edited by Rostosky (04/25/13 12:44 PM)

#2070692 - 04/25/13 01:57 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
stumbler Offline

Loc: Toronto
First I should say that I am really impressed with this recital, both its concept and execution. Kudos to all participants.

I look forward to each day's unveiling.
Brilliant idea to release on opus per day.

A minor note regarding Opus 53 no 3. Embedding is disabled for this video. I wonder if Musicusblau would be willing to alter the settings for this video (I assume this is an easy thing to do). I was able to copy the link to view it directly on youtube---wow! Here is the naked link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DtGY1CAuTc

Again, I hats off to all of you. (I wonder if there is a way to deliver virtual bouquets of flowers to the performers, as you take your bows to our thunderous applause.)

Edited by stumbler (04/25/13 01:59 PM)

#2070739 - 04/25/13 03:15 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
How exciting it is to listen to this recital every evening. It’s been a pleasure to listen to these renditions; all of them are full of talent.

Thanks so much Morodiene, Ganddalf, Musicusblau, Wise Buff, Sam and Kaz63piano for your great performances.

My website

#2070794 - 04/25/13 04:41 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
Op 52, sorry, 53, contains a couple of the "unplayable" songs without words, but also some not so difficult pieces. I was generally impressed by the performers of this opus.

53/1 played by Morordiene: This was very nice to listen to. You really captured the sunshine here and played with lots of expression. Very well done.

53/2 played by myself: Once again I want to say a few words about the piece I have been studying. This is actually a duetto, although not so famous as the one in the previous book. For some reason this composition makes me think about Beethoven and Schubert. Lots of 2 against 3 here. Here, like in 19/5 there are traces of sonata form, but this song has no distinctive second theme.

53/3 played by Musicusblau: This is another professional performance. Actually this piece is out of range for most amateurs, but your playing was perfect, and it is obvious that you have musical education along with lots of talent. It must be nice to be able to play all those notes and still have energy left to make music out of it.

53/4 played by Wisebuff: Here is another of the lyrical songs requiring a lot of musicality to play it well. You managed very well, and I enjoyed listening to you.

53/5 played by SamS: The "Volkslied" is dificult both technically and musically. It takes considerable skill to do it the way you did. I enjoyed the way you expressed the difference between the "choir" and the "flute player". Well done!

53/6 played by Kaz63piano: I really believed that this piece would be taken by a professional pianist, and was amazed that an amateur could play it that well. I consider this song to be technically very hard, and musically even harder. I was most impressed by the way you made out the melody while handling the virtuosic accompanist part at the same time.

#2070828 - 04/25/13 05:46 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
It doesn`t seem to get easier with the passage of time! Terrific stuff, everybody. I`m hardly qualified to comment, knowing so little of M. (I know more now;)

Morodien 53 1 Mendelssohn`s "feelgood" factor is her in bucketloads! I feel good listening lass.

Ganddalf 53 2 M.`s characteristic chord changes are handled so sffextively to my ears. Lovely, man.

Musicusblau 53 3 Very full sound, full of life and vitality. You cheated - this vid is at least 2 years old!! Good show nonetheless . . .

Wisebuff 53 4 Well played! Enjoyable and steady as she goes!

SamS 53 5 THAT made my eyes water . . .I simply couldn`t do that. Nor would I try . .

Kaz63piano 53 6 Beekeeper`s theme tune. Very strange sounding piece. Professionally executed. . . .Somebody`s gotta play it; might as well be you! Well done!

""

#2070856 - 04/25/13 06:12 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Ganddalf]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Oh my, I seem to have gotten myself one whole opus behind, as I've just finished listening to all the wonderful Op.38 submissions. Again, thank you all for these very enjoyable performances.

Dipsy, I wanted to tell you that you don't give yourself enough credit. Your performance was very good and I really enjoyed the way it kept relentlessly moving forward just like the train in the video. It is often said that wrong notes don't matter, and it is true. If you made mistakes they were not obvious to someone like me who had not heard the piece before. Well done.

Estonia L190 #7284

#2070953 - 04/25/13 08:46 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Greener Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Wow, what a show this is turning out to be. It has been a most delightful and highly anticipated listen each evening this week.

This is way beyond my expectations in the least case, and way, way, way beyond in some other cases. Really tremendous stuff.

I am enjoying the show very much and looking forward to lots more to come.

Thanks everyone,

A huge fan and follower in Toronto

#2070955 - 04/25/13 08:48 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
I've sat down to comment on yesterday's 5 times and everytime I keep getting pulled away. Finally! I will do today's too. smile

Op 38, no 1 Dire Tonic: That just sounds like such a hard piece to follow! But you did it, played it well, AND memorized it. Amazing. I would have wandered somewhere waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off with it, even if my skill level was 10x better.

Op 38, no 2 Rossy: I think it sounds great! Especially with all this stress. Well done! And I like the pics smile

Op 38, no 3 Morodiene: Gorgeous! I especially love the opening. It's a very dramatic piece, and I like it! Another one for my list of pipe dreams. Well done! Nice piano too, btw. (And I love your cardigan!)

Op 38, no 4 Peterws: How perfectly regal and graceful! And that ending..I want to just try to learn that part. Thanks so much, I loved your performance!

Op 38, no 5 Dipsy: Oh, I related to your experiences more than you know! It is so hard to do something new with a deadline at speed! You did exactly that! I know the bass-y repetitive part was a bear.. I bet your left hand is stronger!

Op 38, no 6 Sam S: Oh , Sam, I love your Mendelssohn! You play this piece so tenderly. And this one is a nice comforting one to close out the drama of the other ones in this group.

Now today's!

Op 53, no 1 Morodiene: That's beautiful! I'm glad you took part in this recital. You're a wonderful pianist, and I hope you can make more time to play for yourself!

Op 53, no 2 Gandalf: You play this with great sensitivity. Stunning. That Yamaha has a fantastic sound too. Thank you! It is such a calming piece. It made me want to curl up on a breezy patio somewhere and listen.

Op 53, no 3 Musicusblau: I fell in love with this one when I was picking out a piece.. I hope it's a project piece of mine in the next year or so. It's so passionate. Well played!

Op 53, no 4 Wisebuff: That is so pretty! Very well done! Thank you! Great tone on that piano, too!

Op 53, no 5 Sam S: Great one! I I feel like I won something grin Great job.

Op 53, no 6 Kaz63piano: That is a busy one! Great job! Thanks for letting us use it!

You all know that you're super-talented, don't you? Just checking.

#2071058 - 04/25/13 10:54 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Morodien - it was do beautiful and musical. I love a piece like this too.

Ganddalf - another incredible performance. You played the fast and difficult piece with such finesse. I loved your firm yet sensitive way of playing.

Musicusblau - you are good. It's like listening to someone who plays professionally.

Wisebuff - wow you've improved the piece. It was not bad when you played it for me in Phoenix but now it sounds really good. You've added dynamics and other articulation that made the piece say more things. Bravo!

SamS - you played it really good. I like the way you shaped the music. Your runs were beautiful.

Kaz63piano - you are very good. Excellent rendition. 日本の かたですか? 私もなんです。よろしく。
Pieces at work - Schubert Sonata D960 2nd mvmnt Andante sostenute, Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1, Haru No Umi-the Sea In Spring (Michio Miyagi) for Flute & Piano (Nov Diversity Fair at work)

#2071094 - 04/25/13 11:31 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
DanS Offline

Another enjoyable round. This is one of my favorite opuses of the SSW.

Great playing Kaz63piano, and on short notice!

#2071098 - 04/25/13 11:39 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Polyphonist Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Can we do one of these for the Chopin etudes? (evil grin) grin

Polyphonist

#2071128 - 04/26/13 12:30 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Numerian Offline
1000 Post Club Member

There are some really difficult pieces in this collection and everyone stepped up with some fantastic performances.

Morodiene: Who would have thought you could play these pieces like a Chopin Nocturne? But that is exactly what you accomplished and it was tearfully beautiful.

Ganddalf: This is such a famous piece that is hard to put your own interpretation on it, but I felt your personality really came through. The shaping of the melody was stately and plaintaive throughout - really different from some pianists who take this piece too fast.

Musicusblau: There is only one way I think to play this piece at tempo, and that is to keep your left hand close to the keyboard and fingers curved. You have a real professional touch in how you did that, but you went beyond technique to shape the sections beautifully.

Wisebuff: I loved your musicality in this selection - how you shaped the melody and blended the chords in quietly. A really sensitive touch.

SamS: The Volkslied is very challenging. How did you get the octaves so even and without error? This sounded professionally done.

Kaz63piano: Another professional performance. Anyone who has tried to play this piece will tell you how difficult it is to keep the 16th note chords quiet, rapid, and nasal, to produce that buzzing sound. I admire not just your technical skill, but your ability to turn this etude into the highest quality music.

#2071200 - 04/26/13 03:31 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
OPUS 30. What a pleasure to listen to each musician.

*Valencia. The sensitive elicitation of the melody seemed to bring each old piano to life. Was especially moved by the section at about 4 min. BTW where did you find the picture?

*Numerian: WOW! Fast, lively, such clarity with your touch. Hope you cooled that horse down after that ride.

*Piano Student88: Very expressive. Your fingers moved fluidly in this lovely piece.

*Dan S: High energy with impressive intensity. Loved the view of just your hands so I could be awed by the motion.

* Beric: And yet another! You're amazing. On this one the left hand looks like a sincere finger challenge and yet you pull it off.

*Dire Tonic: For me (maybe it's because it's night here) this evokes a moonlit night on the gondola...no other river traffic just the beautiful feel of the water. Beautiful.

Love to learn

#2071230 - 04/26/13 04:19 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
OPUS 38 Each opus is a gift. Wonderful music in this one.

* Dire Tonic: What an exercise in chords and yet you found the melody and made it music. Enjoyed it.

* Rostosky: On top of everything you've done for the recital your story made me shake my head. The music though was not sad at all but more reminescent of a hectic day at work. The careful balance of two busy hands was impressive.

* Morodiene: Geez. That is so complex and difficult. Loved the tempo you set even though you said it was faster than you're comfortable at with as little time as you've had with it. Nice job. Don't give up on this one.

* Peterws: What a shift in mood on this one. You captured the bright, happy sound of this one.

*Dipsey: Thank you for the narrative of your experience of learning this in short order...instructive. You brought out intense emotions in this one. Your image of the trains really fits with the frenetic pace of the piece.

*Sam S: Beautiful...beautiful...beautiful. The voices rang clearly.

Love to learn

#2071253 - 04/26/13 06:05 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

musicblau, Nice phrasing, nice dynamics, great speed, wow great job!

Sam the music fits your description well "belting a heroic song" laugh
Interesting, falls pretty far from most other songs without words.
Does not look easy, you made fought your way through well smile

Kaz63piano some more great playing! I never heard this piece before, it has some surprisingly dissonant sounds in it.

>I wonder if there is a way to deliver virtual bouquets of flowers to the performers

Of course, here are a few for all the performers

#2071321 - 04/26/13 09:02 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Congratulations again!! I've just finished listening to the last two sets, and am absolutely impressed with all of these performances. What an enjoyable way to start my day. Thanks everyone for sharing your amazing talents with us!

#2071341 - 04/26/13 09:28 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Still working hard on the 67/4, so a bit behind in my listening. Here's from yesterday's offering:

Ganddalf Op 53 No 2: Love the 3 vs 2, you play it so smoothly! Love how you bring out the LH melody too! Another great performance

Musicusblau Op 53 No 3: Wonderful arpeggio work on this, and great tempo choice as well! Perfect smile

Wisebuff Op 53 No 4: You play this with such warmth of tone, and great job in bringing out the melody and keeping the accompanying notes in the background!

SamS Op 53 No 5: Very dramatic playing with all those Sfz and fortes! Lots of big chords too, good accuracy with those smile

Kaz63piano Op 53 No 6: Wow, that back and forth between the hands Mendelssohn seems to fond of is really intricate in this piece - you pull off those trills with flair! Love the big octave moments!

edited to add: I swear I edited that typo right after posting it :P

Edited by Morodiene (04/26/13 10:00 AM)
Edit Reason: typo
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2071350 - 04/26/13 09:41 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Morodiene]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

SamS Op 53 No 5: Very dramatic playing with all those Sfz and fortes! Lots of bog chords too, good accuracy with those smile

I feel fairly confident that Morodiene didn't mean your chords were down the toilet SamS!!!

#2071379 - 04/26/13 10:34 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
Wow, this recital is a real treat!

I especially enjoyed Dire tonic's pieces - maybe because I have a Privia too, without the fancy software samples wink - but everybody sounds so professional!

Some of these songs are so beautiful, and they're so diverse that there is something for every taste. I'll have to listen to them again and again to pick my favorites.

#2071416 - 04/26/13 11:18 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Dipsy Offline

Wouter - what a lovely gesture the flowers are!

Thank you for giving us all something which we can share together from wherever we are in the world in our own way.

#2071420 - 04/26/13 11:20 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Today,
Before we start opus 62,
I have quite an amazing Mendelssohn recital Factoid:

There are people (both performers and listeners) to this recital
tuning in from these countries:

Czech republic,
Russia,
Norway,
Japan,
Ireland,
England,
Wales,
Spain,
Italy,
Canada,
USA,
Indonesia.
India.

And they are the just the ones that I know about.
Personally, I find this stunning, and am amazed, I wish that all things in life could be this friendly and encompassing.

Onwards:

MENDELSSOHN: 'DISCOVERY' TO MARRIAGE
After being 'discovered' Mendelssohn returns to Germany to take up a job as Generalmusikdirektor at Dusseldorf, his first official post at the age of 24, which among other things involved conducting concerts. He brought 'energy, enthusiasm and reforming zeal' to the post. He also continues to visit England. 'He had little experience of dealing with others' ...and,' was quite capable of tactlessness, even irresponsibility' and this was commented on by his father.
In his theatre work ' he ran into serious trouble. He was an idealist as well as a purist, ... fell foul of the orchestra.... abruptly resigned, causing ill feeling all round'...' The trouble was, even though Mendelssohn has a vast number of acquaintances, fundamentally he was a loner' ... and 'used to having his own way'.
During this period his father died, and this was within only 2 years of the death of both Zelter and Goethe who had been influential teachers of his childhood. To console himself he wrote to Cecile Jeanrenaud who he had met in Birmingham saying:
' I can neither compose, nor write letters nor play the piano'.
They married in 1837. According to Mendelssohn's sister Fanny:
'her presence produces the effect of a fresh breeze, so bright and natural is she' and 'she doesn't spoil him, but when he is capricious, treats him with an equanimity which will in course of time most probably cure his fits of irritability.'

Here is a painting Of mendelssohns wife cecile:

He continued to compose and the Italian symphony was completed.

Here is the original manuscript for mendelssohns "spring song" Opus 62 no. 6 which we shall hear today.

I sincerely hope Numerian has his own copy!!

He accepted the offer of the conductorship of the Gewandhaus concerts in Leipzig.
Source: extensively quoted from Issue 34 of the Great Musicians series.

Edited by Rostosky (04/26/13 11:41 AM)

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
142 registered (accordeur, anotherscott, A Guy, Andrej Gabara, ando, 48 invisible), 1411 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153592 Topics
2251040 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Casio PX 850
by ryand90
Today at 07:41 PM
Am I Too Old?
by HatemTarek22
Today at 07:34 PM
New 52" upright with 10K budget?
by WCSdancer
Today at 07:26 PM
give up on old acoustics and buy a digital?
by carojm36
Today at 06:41 PM
I think I have a problem
by JoelW
Today at 05:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission