Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#2073269 - 04/29/13 04:18 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Rostosky
Opus 67.no.2 came to us from Dire tonic

...Recording was the usual fiasco - the one we all know and fear.

I don't hear/see a major issue around 1:38. I hear a very nice performance again

If you think you did well below your ability, why not just go for (yet) another take? It sometimes needs many takes to get a satisfying version. But yes, there will always remain things to improve.

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2073316 - 04/29/13 07:08 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Dipsy Offline

Farmgirl, don't feel bad about the amount of practice you put in. No one will judge you for it - after all we all have such different lives, different demands placed on us, etc. We all do the best we can, I think. Your vid (up later today) is heart warming - delightfully domestic and honestly showing a snippet of real life from your corner of the world. Its in my 'top 3'!

By the way, you've reminded me that I forgot to give credit to my sources in the last 2 posts about Mendelssohn's life. I've shamelessly quoted huge chunks from the 'Great Musicians' and 'Great Composers' series which were on sale some decades ago, which I had lying around. (When the recital started I realised that I knew nothing about the composer and wanted to learn more. We thought that some people on the thread might be in the same boat. - hence the 'info')x

#2073323 - 04/29/13 07:30 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Pavel.K Offline

Loc: Czech Republic
Just want to say I have enjoyed a lot listening to all performances here and Thanks to all who comments that mine. :-)
Also I am looking forward to the next Themed recital. Any estimation when the new registration will be open, please? I do not want to miss a chance for choosing piece I like :-)

#2073327 - 04/29/13 07:45 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
No worries Pavel.K I believe the next themed recital will be Griegs lyric pieces, of which there are about sixty to choose from.. quick: go get looking!!!

Today will see the last six pieces from opus 102 posted up here, bringing the songs without words to a close.

I ( or wayne! ha ha got you invloved wayne lol) will post a new thread entitled "Grieg themed recital" so keep an eye open!!

later folks.
R.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

#2073331 - 04/29/13 07:56 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
OPUS 85: This is such a do-able way of listening (6 at a time). A thoroughly engaging process.

*1 Valencia: This one just may be my favorite. It was gorgeous and I listened to it several times and shared with my husband. Sure would love to learn it one day.

*2 Wayne33: You are amazing! This sounded really difficult and yet you put it together and it was music. Thank you for all you've done on the recital.

*3 Morodiene: Again I'm impressed with your amazing contribution to this recital. I've enjoyed each and every one of your pieces. This one was such a complex interweaving of the left and right hands bringing out such rich color and feel.

*4 Rupak: So sweetly sad and sentimental..beautifully done. Can't wait to hear the whole piece.

*5 Ganddalf: Such a mood you create with your music. This one felt, to me, like a royal celebration of some kind. Swirling gowns, military pomp, glittering crystal and dance. You made it look effortless. Now back to reality...

*6 Numerian: You too have contributed much to this musical feast and what an artist you are. Another energetic, happy piece...a true pleasure to hear.

Love to learn

#2073337 - 04/29/13 08:17 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
No worries Pavel.K I believe the next themed recital will be Griegs lyric pieces, of which there are about sixty to choose from.. quick: go get looking!!!

Today will see the last six pieces from opus 102 posted up here, bringing the songs without words to a close.

I ( or wayne! ha ha got you invloved wayne lol) will post a new thread entitled "Grieg themed recital" so keep an eye open!!

later folks.
R.

I think I have mine picked out already laugh
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2073338 - 04/29/13 08:23 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Congratulations everyone on another wonderful set of performances!! I'm looking forward to listening to the final round of performances.

#2073377 - 04/29/13 09:34 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
At last I got the time to give some comments on Op.67.

67/1 by Timmyab: You really demonstrated what a beautiful piece of music this is. It was really pleasant to listen to.

67/2 by Dire Tonic: By all means, I'm impressed. This is another example of a piece I always considered to be "unplayable". Your playing is generally so excellent that small flaws go unnoticed, at least by me.

67/3 by Timmyab: Another piece that I enjoyed very much listening to. You make it sound like real "Mendelssohn". Really exciting, yet relaxing music.

67/4 by Morodiene: You must have put an enormous amount of effort into this recital. I understand that you didn't have much time on the "Spinnerlied", and I'm impressed by your improvement in short time.

67/5 by Pavel K: You play beautifully. I never realised that this piece was so great until I heard your performance. Quite amazing with such short experiense.

67/6 by Numerian: Another pleasant surprise. This is not one of the most famous SWWs, but you play it with elegance and makes it sound very appealing.

#2073412 - 04/29/13 10:59 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Morodiene Offline

Thanks for the encouraging words, everyone! I think it's nice to challenge oneself once in a while just to see how far you can get. Now for me the challenge is to memorize these pieces to "finish" them off well. smile

#2073419 - 04/29/13 11:14 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

And today we finish off this wonderful mendelssohn recital with the last opus and six songs from opus 102.

MENDELSSOHN'S LEGACY - a 'youthful genius spoiled by success'?
Although perhaps best remembered as a composer, Mendelssohn also worked as a conductor and musical director, all of which 'selfless working':
'created a lasting musical legacy, increasing the public's enjoyment of music.'
The 'youthful genius spoiled'... is a reference to the prodigious output of his youth, and privileged upbringing, and the fact that in the latter part of his short life he composed few major works. However, this assessment of him seems unfair since he was 'overworked from birth til death' and did not find composing easy. He usually rewrote his music until he was happy with it and it took him a long time to complete his compositions. And he composed less (apart from commissions from his employer, the King of Prussia, for example) because he was in constant demand as a conductor and musical director with many responsibilities. He was appointed Generalmusikdirecktor for the whole of Prussia.
As conductor
Through a series of concerts, such as at the Dusseldorf Music Festival, he introduced some works which had been ignored, helped create a revival of works by Bach and Handel and created a model for orchestras throughout Europe. The concerts he conducted were so popular and highly thought of that they:
'increased public enthusiasm for music that has formed the basis for all modern music appreciation'.
He founded the Leipzig Conservatory, Germany's foremost academy.
As composer:
His works included: orchestral works (symphonies - reformation, Scottish, Italian, and Choral for example), 13 string symphonies,) and octet, choral works - Elijah and St Paul oratorios, concerti for violin and piano (2), overtures (such as Hebrides, Midsummer Nights Dream), incidental music and 'comfortable, homelike' piano music such as the Songs without words.
In his songs without words he introduced an ABA form which was more accessible to pianists than the sonata form which had prevailed before. His music is able to set a scene and describe moods and landscapes, to a great degree.
'He did not decline from a high peak to profound depths ....his late works include the violin concerto and might have included other fine pieces if time had permitted. It is best to take his achievement (as composer) for what it is: that of a great but rather narrow composer rather than grieve for what is not. ':
To quote Mendelssohn when speaking of Rome during his travels:
'It is satisfying to think that human beings can accomplish something that continues to refresh and strengthen them after thousands of years'. With this in mind, he can be proud of his achievements.

Sources as before: Great Musicians series and great Composers series and 'mendelssohn' entry in the New Oxford Companion to Music by Denis Arnold.

Edited by Rostosky (04/29/13 01:25 PM)

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

#2073420 - 04/29/13 11:15 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Opus 102 no.1 starts to day played here by Greener.
And greener had this to say about this piece:

"The LH stride and RH counter melody make for a very full and busy accompaniment in this song. My greatest challenge in the end was/is in keeping it clean. It gets very muddy very quickly with any double notes coming in that do not belong, or hanging on to the counter melody even briefly too long.

My work on this piece has gone a long way with improving my stride playing overall. Getting it to a point of accuracy required for a presentable recording was a lot of work.

The video production was an after thought once I figured out a sound to video conversion method (Windows Movie Maker) and then utilizing some features around the "Homeless" theme.

I've really enjoyed working on these Songs without Words and participating in this recital.

Thank you for listening. "

Edited by Rostosky (04/29/13 11:29 AM)

#2073421 - 04/29/13 11:15 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Opus 102 no.2 is performed here by farmgirl.

A little note, farmgirl submitted two versions to me, One with her husband tripping over leads, dogs eagerly awaiting husband to come back into the room with his dinner and some cursing.

Knowing these songs without words were written for the "domestic situation" when she submitted them I was told to use whichever version I thought fitting........

I believe mendelssohn would approve?

Edited by Rostosky (04/29/13 11:34 AM)

#2073423 - 04/29/13 11:15 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

And our very own AimeeO with opus 102 no.3.

AimeeO is a massive fan of Windows movie maker, and has probably started a wmm appreciation society in New orleans.

anyways this is what AimeeO had to say ( leaving out any reference to Wmm!)

"I hope everyone will excuse the distortion. Someone (me) was accidentally using the mic switch as the on/off switch and forgot to change it back.

This piece was very challenging for me. I haven't done much requiring presto. This isn't even presto, but it's as fast as *I* could get it!
I had a hard time getting this one off the ground. Measures 4-5 held me back for a time, and gave me a slow start. The last 18 measures also had a couple of spots that had awkward-for-me hand positions in several places. They weren't so bad going slowly, but as I have learned, if you try to speed something up too fast, you will have tension when you record at the last minute.
While it's rather choppy in a few spots, I'm rather proud of getting it this far. A month ago it was a whole different story - horribly slow - it was unrecognizable! I wasn't bringing out a lot of nuances, either. There are still plenty to bring out I'm sure, but it's better.

Dynamically it was different too... the second section left much up for interpretation, according to my score, which was similar to what's on imslp.

It's been a fun journey! Thanks Rossy and Wayne for organizing again, and I am honored to participate with you all.

Thanks for listening!"

Edited by Rostosky (04/29/13 11:39 AM)

#2073424 - 04/29/13 11:15 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Here with opus 102 no.4 is Ladychen.

This is what Ladychen said about this piece;

"I learned this piece many years ago -- I must have been 12 or 13 at the time. Thankfully, it came back to me fairly quickly, though I realized that I had learned a few wrong notes the first time around, so it was twice as hard to "relearn" those parts with the correct notes! I realized when I started recording this, however, that I hadn't put the necessary time in, and there was no way I was going to get a 'clean' take, so I apologize for the slips, and I hope I still managed to get the feeling to this lovely piece across."

Edited by Rostosky (04/29/13 11:42 AM)

#2073425 - 04/29/13 11:15 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

And another one from Ladychen, this time opus 102 . no.5 .

"I realized after volunteering to take on this piece that it was probably a little beyond what I could learn in a hurry. I left it until the last minute because other things kept coming up, but at the same time, I think it's a good experience to learn a piece as well as possible in a short period of time. As musicians, and accompanists in particular, we're often in a situation where we don't have sufficient time before a performance to learn a piece as well as we'd like, and so we have to make do with what we have and come up with an 'acceptable' rendition. In any case, I hope this rendition is acceptable to all of you! I found the off-beat notes deceptively difficult at high speeds and it was challenging to bring out the melody notes above the busy accompaniment."

Edited by Rostosky (04/29/13 11:44 AM)

#2073426 - 04/29/13 11:15 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

And to finish off the last opus and last number Opus102 no.6 we have Greener.

Greener had this to say " My issue with tempo in this piece, in the end was with slowing it down enough for Andante. I'm still faster then Barenboimsky by about 10 seconds. I wasn't trying to be ..."

Edited by Rostosky (04/29/13 11:48 AM)

#2073517 - 04/29/13 02:36 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
I’ve been clicking on these pieces as they arrived, too impatient to think about what to say about them. So, after a second listen, a few thoughts…

Opus 19 no.1 played by Beric. How you can play this so assuredly after a couple of runs through I’ll never know. A lovely performance of one of the most beautiful and well-known of the songs.

Opus 19 no.2 played by RagnhildK. You play this with such expression and clarity. Very much looking forward to hearing more from you when the Grieg recital comes up!

Opus 19 no.3 played by EvelynS...with both energy AND precision! That doesn’t come easily and I’d say this is a difficult piece. You deserve to do well in your up-coming competition.

Opus 19 no.4. played by Beric...showing again what a consummate professional you are Beric! A pleasure to listen to.

opus 19 no.5 played by Ganddalf…you’re evidently a pianist with wide experience and this shines through in your performance. A fascinating piece, it will have to go on my must-play list.

opus 19 no.6 played by Recaredo. Strong imagery in both your father’s paintings and your steady and confident performance. Most enjoyable.

Opus 30 no.1 played by Valencia. A performance so full of grace and expression together with LimeFriday’s compilation of faded glory leads the imagination wandering…

opus 30 no.2 played by Numerian. An experienced and polished performance. Delightful, and a standard for those of us in ABF to aim for….

Opus 30 no.3 played Pianostudent88. I’m not keen on the portato and Ginette Doyen, the only pro whose version I’ve heard so far, doesn’t do it. But yours is a solid and sympathetic performance PS88 – well done!

DanS plays opus 30 number 4. I’ve not tried this piece but there appear to be many technical difficulties and yet with so much going on you play this seemingly without even the slightest effort. Masterful!

opus30 no 5 played by Beric. I like the way you weave and wind your way through this one Beric, an interpretation which intrigues the senses. Incidentally, you say in your performance notes “I trust that you have plans for a similar venture in the future." - I think plans are afoot, I hope we’ll see you here again!

#2073523 - 04/29/13 02:43 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
What a wonderful way to end this recital! These all renditions are full of feelings and show a deep love for this music.

Thank you very much for your submissions Greener, Farmgirl, Aimee and Lady Chen on the Opus 102.

This project has been so magical that is difficult to describe it with words. So I just wanted to thank you all for participating in it. And thanks so much to everyone who has listened to this recital.

See you all at the next themed recital. Grieg’s Lyric Pieces? wink

My website

#2073526 - 04/29/13 02:46 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thank you for your nice comment Dire Tonic, much appreciated!

My website

#2073529 - 04/29/13 02:49 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I was thinking Recaredo, definately Grieg, but maybe anything by Grieg?
I will put it to the vote and see what everyone thinks!

IF.it turns out to be anything by Grieg, I totally claim Anitras dance!!

#2073554 - 04/29/13 03:11 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
- could we have duplicates this time? (Grieg). I think there was a fair argument for this (e.g. a chance for co-performers to pick over each others' interpretations).

There's a danger of a competitive element but I think the profit in drawing the comparisons might justify it. Also helps to avoid a stampede for the best tunes.

#2073557 - 04/29/13 03:15 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Anything by Grieg is fine for me. I’d take a Lyric piece though. I love his Op 38 No 6!

My website

#2073562 - 04/29/13 03:18 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I have no problem with duplicates, but any decision about this matter is perfect for me.

Edit: Maybe we could start a new thread about the Grieg.

Edited by Recaredo (04/29/13 03:22 PM)

My website

#2073570 - 04/29/13 03:23 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

On the point of duplicates, there is a very very good reason for not having duplicates:

Take the mendelssohn 48 pieces, done by 29 people.

Now in theory if everyone just sent me their link, I would have 29 PM's.
BUT, some folk sent me their links, then updated them, then asked for help over tech stuff.
Some then submitted text later.

That was fine and I have no complaints, BUT, if there was duplicates and they all did the same, My PM box ( and my brain) would have collapsed under the strain.

Also, like you say, we want to avoid competitiveness, this has been a totally non competitive recital, just like the satie and the Glass was.

There is enough Grieg to go round!!!

Also, folk have found through taking a piece that maybe wasnt their choice that something new and amazing has opened up to them.

Okay no more Grieg here, I will start a new thread.

Edited by Rostosky (04/29/13 03:24 PM)

#2073635 - 04/29/13 04:34 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Numerian Offline
1000 Post Club Member

And now, as an inspiration for all of us to continue working on this wonderful music, my candidate for the greatest interpreter of Mendelssohn's Songs Without Words. Maria Grinberg approaches this music as a singer would - she knows where a singer would take breaths. She has tremendous dynamic range, complete technical command, and an ability to turn each of these into an exciting masterpiece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al-tUbtb4G8

#2073638 - 04/29/13 04:54 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
I will comment tomorrow when I'm off.. great work everybody!

#2073750 - 04/29/13 07:47 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
Opus 102 no.2 is performed here by farmgirl.

A little note, farmgirl submitted two versions to me, One with her husband tripping over leads, dogs eagerly awaiting husband to come back into the room with his dinner and some cursing.

Knowing these songs without words were written for the "domestic situation" when she submitted them I was told to use whichever version I thought fitting........

I believe mendelssohn would approve?

This is one of my fav's, (along with Morodiene's, wow, your submissions are beautiful!)

#2073800 - 04/29/13 09:34 PM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Dipsy]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Originally Posted By: Dipsy
Farmgirl, don't feel bad about the amount of practice you put in. No one will judge you for it - after all we all have such different lives, different demands placed on us, etc. We all do the best we can, I think. Your vid (up later today) is heart warming - delightfully domestic and honestly showing a snippet of real life from your corner of the world. Its in my 'top 3'!

By the way, you've reminded me that I forgot to give credit to my sources in the last 2 posts about Mendelssohn's life. I've shamelessly quoted huge chunks from the 'Great Musicians' and 'Great Composers' series which were on sale some decades ago, which I had lying around. (When the recital started I realised that I knew nothing about the composer and wanted to learn more. We thought that some people on the thread might be in the same boat. - hence the 'info')x

Dipsey, thank you for your kind words. I appreciate you took time to quote those words. It was really interesting to know his life. I look forward to reading more about him every night.
Pieces at work - Schubert Sonata D960 2nd mvmnt Andante sostenute, Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1, Haru No Umi-the Sea In Spring (Michio Miyagi) for Flute & Piano (Nov Diversity Fair at work)

#2074000 - 04/30/13 08:32 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Morodiene Offline

Catching up here finally on comments:

Valencia, Op 85 No 1: Very nice work again! This song, while a slower one, still keeps moving with those changing arpeggios, so you don't really get a "breather". As for the recording quality, what are you using? It sounds like you're using a digital piano. You can take this very file from the digital piano and use a software piano. You can download a free one like pianoteq (OK, free DEMO) and try using their different piano sounds to see what you like. I'd be curious to hear what that would sound like. wink

Wayne33yrs, Op 85 No 2: I really like your delicacy in this piece, it's a great contrast with then the more dramatic low octave section Great ending!

Rupak, Op 85 No 4: You play this so beautifully! I love this piece, one of my favorites, and it's pretty intricate since the melody is pretty much interwoven and in the same range as the accompaniment. Wonderful job, but don't leave us hanging for the rest!

Ganddalf, Op 85 No 5: Very regal sounding with the "trumpets" doing the dotted rhythms. I'm not familiar with this one, but it seems like there's lot of big chords in this. You handle them very well by not tensing up as things go along. Nicely done again!

Numerian, Op 85 No 6: This one has 3 distinct layers to it (bass, middle staccato, and upper melody) and each can be heard very clearly. Nice pedaling choices! The ending kind of reminds my of some opera aria endings back and forth between V-I. Thank for playing!

#2074011 - 04/30/13 08:55 AM Re: Mendelssohn recital Home. [Re: Rostosky]
Morodiene Offline

Greener, Op 102 No 1: Wow, the LH certainly has to jump around! You handle that very well without having any pauses between the LH low notes and the middle notes. Thanks for the homeless theme too, not a subject people like to think about, but it is a very sad state for them - many of whom are mentally ill.

Farmgirl, Op 102 No 2: I must say, you crack me up! The dog head popping up at the bottom of the screen and your husband playing with a pastic bag in the background LOL. I'm not sure of this is what Mendelssohn had in mind specifically, but I think he would have approved. All that aside, I think your playing reflected the somber, hymn-like quality of this song. Thank you!

AimeeO, Op 102 No 3: I know what you mean about the tempo thing. I do believe that tempos back then were often slower, and I think the speed you play this at gives it the needed feeling of levity. Great work on this tough piece!

Ladychen, Op 102 No 4: Beautifully played! Another piece I need to learn. I really appreciate your sensitive approach to this song, especially the penultimate note in the melody letting that ring and hang there making us wait for the resolution.

Ladychen, Op 102 No 5: I know what you mean about the off-beat notes - I can imagine that without enough time for them to settle they could become uneven and perhaps a bit more off-beat than they're supposed to (you handled them well though and I didn't hear any of that in your playing). Great flourish at 1:09!

Greener, Op 102 No 6: Playing slow pieces are often hard because of the work that you have to do to keep the musical thought going so the listener's interest doesn't wane. I think your tempo choice was just fine in this instance, speeding up the middle part and then coming back down a bit at cadences. Nicely done!

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
83 registered (Alux, ando, AtomicBond, 24 invisible), 1387 Guests and 41 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153620 Topics
2251552 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tunelab alternative partial settings?
by Beemer
Today at 04:52 AM
Noodling board
by Maarkr
Yesterday at 10:20 PM
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
Yesterday at 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
Yesterday at 08:09 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission