2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2068682 04/22/13 02:17 PM
A
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
I have a very good Jewish friend who said to me that most of the top musicians are Jewish. I am not sure I agree with this because whatever Religion you are, if you are a good musician, you are a good musician. Why should the fact that you are Jewish make a difference? If you look online it is usually the Chinese who are very very good especially at piano and they start from the age of about 3 and by the time they are 8 or 9 they are classical pianists playing big sonatas.

http://youtu.be/6A-HGqUNXI4

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
UUummmmm.... you're an adult. You haven't figured out that many people are biggoted? It's basically people loving themselves and nothing else. They only want to think good of others that remind them of themselves. Complete selfish, self centered thinking.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
E
E
I'm assuming your friend is referring to the classical pianists. they were, after all, from Europe where piano took off. I think that doesn't really apply to musicians now a days.

Last edited by ElleC; 04/22/13 02:40 PM.

Adult beginner since January 2013. My only regret is that I didn't learn sooner.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
At the risk of being politically incorrect, I do believe there is something in traditional Jewish culture that encourages an appreciation for learning and the arts and the fosters the discipline to achieve a high level of scholarship or proficiency.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by adultpianist
. . . Why should the fact that you are Jewish make a difference? . . .

Well, if you were Jewish in many parts of Europe, a lot of professions and trades were closed to you. So music might have been be a reasonable way to make a living.

And if you were a new immigrant to the US, and your English skills were limited -- "Would you like to play fiddle?"

It's not that Jews were inherently more talented, but that many other paths were closed off. IMHO.

In the early days of computer programming, there were _lots_ of female programmers, compared to females in other professions (and trades). It was a new field, professional standards hadn't been established, and there was nothing to stop women from getting jobs (and doing them well). Whereas getting into medical school was a huge problem.

It's very difficult to tease out "native ability" from "societal pressure" from "prejudice".

. Charles

PS -- If you'd like, I can find you an article in the online "Jewish Daily Forward" about the large number of Christmas carols written by Jewish composers.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I am willing to change religions if it will improve my piano. But can I keep my Christmas holidays.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
It's Jewish moms that make great Jewish pianists...

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
Well, if you were Jewish in many parts of Europe, a lot of professions and trades were closed to you. So music might have been be a reasonable way to make a living. It's not that Jews were inherently more talented, but that many other paths were closed off. IMHO.
This really goes beyond opinion. It is a fact. The reason so many Jews were bankers and jewelers was because they were not permitted to own land and were not allowed to join a guild so they could not open a shop. (No one would buy at a non-guild store). Money lending was closed to all Christians so Jews took on that profession because there wasn't much else they were allowed to do to feed their families. Because of bigotry and violent pogroms, Jews had to find ways to earn a living that were portable - thus money lending, banking, music and jewelry . These facts were twisted and distorted by antisemites who were looking for a scapegoat.

Best regards,

Deborah
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark...
It's Jewish moms that make great Jewish pianists...

That was the cleverest way of getting that point across imaginable ( by me anyways) I hope the recipient gets it!

as an aside, does anyone know where I can learn about klezmer music? I just love it so very much, its like I have allways heard it, but only found out a few months back what it is called.

Anyone know of any resources?

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
I'm going to close this topic as it can go nowhere but downhill. Sweeping generalizations to do with race, gender, religion, etc., are rife with counter examples and generally promulgated by people with biases or some other agenda. Rostosky, if you wish to investigate resources for klezmer music (which I've never heard of), please start another thread.

Greg

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission