Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2060308 - 04/06/13 11:18 AM Jazz -- "RH=melody | LH=chords" -- a more cohesive sound?
cotte Offline

Coming from a classical world I feel most piano jazz revolves around playing chords on the left hand and the melody or solo part very distinctly on the right hand.

What I feel mostly separates different pianists is their ability to come with better melodies better solos, more interesting harmony (i.e. right hand note choose against a set chord) etc. But I feel most of the jazz I hear revolves a lot around this approach to piano which is quite "un-pianistic" to me. They seem to be copying a horn soloist on the right hand.

Could you point me to jazz piano music where this is NOT the approach? (name specific tunes or records)

I know this is also present in most music from the classic period , but with more modern music this approach started to shift (think Ravel or Debussy). I love when I cannot precisely tell which hand is playing what I hear. I'd like to hear the same effect but within a jazz context.

Cheers.

Piano & Music Accessories
#2060386 - 04/06/13 01:41 PM Re: Jazz -- "RH=melody | LH=chords" -- a more cohesive sound? [Re: cotte]
tend to rush Offline

Erroll Garner, certainly.

#2060415 - 04/06/13 03:10 PM Re: Jazz -- "RH=melody | LH=chords" -- a more cohesive sound? [Re: cotte]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)

enjoy!

#2060724 - 04/07/13 11:05 AM Re: Jazz -- "RH=melody | LH=chords" -- a more cohesive sound? [Re: knotty]
cotte Offline

Art Tatum...very flashy technique, lots of runs, still thinking very "linear" in terms of melody. IMHO.

Lenny's piece, not my favorite one from him. Left hand ostinato figure, right hand improvising... can't go more linear than this.

Monty Alexander playing a blues. Again, left hand doing the classic blues stuff, right hand playing mainly pentatonics and some more gymnastic stuff (pretty cool by the way, I did not know this guy).

Chick and Keith. Well yes, more left hand involvement, amazing technique, great chops, they are my favorites ones along with Herbie and Bill.

Don't get me wrong, all of them are fine, but I'm just looking for a more cohesive, less linear playing. I'm really tired of right hand single note lines melodies and ideas.

There is little to invent there, it has all been played. And if it wasn't played by a pianist it was played by a horn or some other instrument I'm sure. As pianist I'm looking for less linear stuff on the right hand.

Here there is still a clear melody to follow, but it is presented much more "pianistically" if I'm allowed the word. With lots of texture.

I'm thinking that what I want to hear in jazz might not belong to jazz... it belongs to Debussy or some other composer. Jazz is probably going to be defined by the names you threw at me, and by their style. Which might not be what I'm looking as an inspiration right now.

#2060797 - 04/07/13 02:13 PM Re: Jazz -- "RH=melody | LH=chords" -- a more cohesive sound? [Re: cotte]
beeboss Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
Originally Posted By: cotte
Don't get me wrong, all of them are fine, but I'm just looking for a more cohesive, less linear playing. I'm really tired of right hand single note lines melodies and ideas.

There is little to invent there, it has all been played. And if it wasn't played by a pianist it was played by a horn or some other instrument I'm sure. As pianist I'm looking for less linear stuff on the right hand.

I don't believe for a second that 'it has all been played', if that were so then there could be no new players with anything interesting to say but I notice lots and lots of great new young players.
If you are looking for inspiration from other players then I can only suggest you check out some of these players (if you don't know them already) ….

John Taylor, Paul Bley, Cecil Taylor, Egberto Gismonti, Tigran Hamasayan, Kevin Hayes, Django Bates, Joe Zawinul, Gwilym Simcock, Aaron Parks, Aaron Goldberg, Stephano Bollani, Martian Solal, Baptiste Trogignon, Geri Allen, Uri Caine, Hermeto Pascoal, Stanley Cowell, Yaron Herman, Fred Hersch, Andrew Hill, Vijay Iyer, Geoff Keezer, Helge Lien, Jason Moran, Enrico Pierenunzi, Jean Michel Pilc, Bobo Stenson, Craig Taborn, Denny Zeitlen etc etc

If there is nothing new in there that appeals then you may need to widen your search beyond jazz.

#2060818 - 04/07/13 03:09 PM Re: Jazz -- "RH=melody | LH=chords" -- a more cohesive sound? [Re: beeboss]
cotte Offline

Thanks beeboss, there is definitely some names there that I have not listened yet.

Funny that you mention Bobo Stenson, I've been digging a lot into what I call "Nordic" jazz (Sweden mainly) and the "ECM sound". Also a lot of Jan Johanson, Esbjörn Svensson.

I've been attracted to the more "spacey sound", but I struggle to listen to more than one album on the row.

I'm still waiting for a good example of a jazz tune along the lines of what I already described. I don't mind the occasional run or single note melody... But I'm still looking for a more cohesive, less "RH plays my solos, LH does the chords" approach

#2060826 - 04/07/13 03:31 PM Re: Jazz -- "RH=melody | LH=chords" -- a more cohesive sound? [Re: cotte]
chrisbell Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
Great that you're naming Jan Johansson (two s's), I've loved his playing since the album Jazz på Svenska (Jazz in Swedish). https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/jazz-pa-svenska/id286768548
It should be a part of any jazz piano aficionados collection.

I never play anything the same way once.

https://soundcloud.com/chrisb/sets
https://www.youtube.com/user/djboing/videos

#2060845 - 04/07/13 04:22 PM Re: Jazz -- "RH=melody | LH=chords" -- a more cohesive sound? [Re: cotte]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

>> Art Tatum...very flashy technique, lots of runs, still thinking very "linear" in terms of melody. IMHO.
The technique and runs of Tatum are barely scratching the surface of his genius.

I think it takes time to appreciate those things that we are either not interested in or not familiar with. Sometimes, we never get to it, and it's OK.

But even going to Bud Powell, which will fall under your description a lot more, we still enjoy the music. And the more we get into it, the more we appreciate how fine of a musician he was.

There's no reason to force yourself to like jazz. Listen to what appeals to you at the moment. There's enough music out there for everyone.

#2060852 - 04/07/13 04:28 PM Re: Jazz -- "RH=melody | LH=chords" -- a more cohesive sound? [Re: cotte]
beeboss Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south

I'm still waiting for a good example of a jazz tune along the lines of what I already described. I don't mind the occasional run or single note melody... But I'm still looking for a more cohesive, less "RH plays my solos, LH does the chords" approach

This is about as far away from a chords + solo that you can get in a jazz context

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWWxqgVFtQk

Some people don't even want to call it jazz.

But if you can imagine something that you want to hear that nobody has yet played then that is a great position to be in.

#2061084 - 04/08/13 12:45 AM Re: Jazz -- "RH=melody | LH=chords" -- a more cohesive sound? [Re: cotte]
erichlof Offline

This awesome performance of 3 short pieces is the closest I can come to. Bill Evans here sounds like what Debussy and Ravel would sound like if they had lived a little longer and began to freely improvise: (especially the last piece)

It's important to note that this kind of beautiful harmonic construction takes a lifetime to master (if ever), and I suspect that Bill had rehearsed these textures and colors a whole lot before performing these pieces. He improvises a little concerning the timing, tempo, and ending flourishes, but probably the majority is worked out prior.

I tend to think of jazz as being improvised, so yes, the Cecil Taylor that beebos posted above is jazz to me because that is totally spontaneous. Can you call what Bill is doing here jazz? I don't know. But what I do know is that I have never heard another pianist past or present come close to this deep, sensitive, colorful type of playing; and it is my favorite.

Evans moved away from this type of playing in his later years and went to more RH blowing horn-line and 3 or 4-note voicings in the LH with his late trios - which is what you said that you are NOT looking for. One has to wonder if he would have stayed on the more Debussy-'Ravel-esque' path and actually learned to freely improvise the impressionist textures and pianistic approaches demonstrated in this video, might we have a whole different branch of jazz, or even general music? smile

By the way, thanks for posting the beautiful Michelangeli performance. He is one of my favorite interpreters of Debussy. This has been added to my favorites list! smile

#2061391 - 04/08/13 05:16 PM Re: Jazz -- "RH=melody | LH=chords" -- a more cohesive sound? [Re: cotte]
cotte Offline

Ok, I will be posting my own discoveries here.

This is what I'm talking about. This is very nice and inspiring!

I think I should focus on more block chords orientated pianists basically, and stick around Red Garland and Bill Evans playing for a while. I'm sick of flashy RH single notes flurry of notes at this moment.

#2061548 - 04/08/13 10:01 PM Re: Jazz -- "RH=melody | LH=chords" -- a more cohesive sound? [Re: erichlof]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney
Originally Posted By: erichlof
This awesome performance of 3 short pieces is the closest I can come to. Bill Evans here sounds like what Debussy and Ravel would sound like if they had lived a little longer and began to freely improvise: (especially the last piece)

It's important to note that this kind of beautiful harmonic construction takes a lifetime to master (if ever), and I suspect that Bill had rehearsed these textures and colors a whole lot before performing these pieces. He improvises a little concerning the timing, tempo, and ending flourishes, but probably the majority is worked out prior.

I tend to think of jazz as being improvised, so yes, the Cecil Taylor that beebos posted above is jazz to me because that is totally spontaneous. Can you call what Bill is doing here jazz? I don't know. But what I do know is that I have never heard another pianist past or present come close to this deep, sensitive, colorful type of playing; and it is my favorite.

Evans moved away from this type of playing in his later years and went to more RH blowing horn-line and 3 or 4-note voicings in the LH with his late trios - which is what you said that you are NOT looking for. One has to wonder if he would have stayed on the more Debussy-'Ravel-esque' path and actually learned to freely improvise the impressionist textures and pianistic approaches demonstrated in this video, might we have a whole different branch of jazz, or even general music? smile

Thanks Erichlof for the beautiful extract from "The Universal Mind of Bill Evans". It definitely is jazz in the highest sense of this genre when your left hand is able to make conversation with the right hand.

#2061677 - 04/09/13 03:26 AM Re: Jazz -- "RH=melody | LH=chords" -- a more cohesive sound? [Re: cotte]
chrisbell Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
Very Early, Time Remembered, My Bells.
All written compositions (VE when he was still in college), "not really jazz" Bill Evans himself said. Just music.
If you like this sound then this might also (according to interviews it was one of Bill's favourite albums): https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/bill-evans-trio-symphony-orchestra/id31449

ps: there's a book published: Bill Evans Piano Solos (no solo transcriptions, but the actual written compositions) published by TRO Songways.

Edited by chrisbell (04/09/13 03:29 AM)

I never play anything the same way once.

https://soundcloud.com/chrisb/sets
https://www.youtube.com/user/djboing/videos

#2061757 - 04/09/13 08:34 AM Re: Jazz -- "RH=melody | LH=chords" -- a more cohesive sound? [Re: cotte]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Cotte,

check this out also:

This is so beautiful and perhaps closer to the style you are looking for.

#2061799 - 04/09/13 10:27 AM Re: Jazz -- "RH=melody | LH=chords" -- a more cohesive sound? [Re: cotte]
etcetra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thomas Rucket's rendition of Like someone in love. It's kind of in style of Keith Jarret.. it's more of 2-3 part counter point approach then bass and piano

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovqa_WG5z74

Fred Hersch's playing is very contrapuntal too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dianRYQMK8U

Alan Broadbent does some countrapuntal stuff later on this solo. I don't have a link but his rendition of Body and Soul(called Ballad Impromptu) is also great too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FwTRX9M32w

I think Clare Fischer, , Enrico Pieranunzi are also worth checking out too.. their playing is more "pianistic" in the way you describe about classical music.

#2061904 - 04/09/13 12:55 PM Re: Jazz -- "RH=melody | LH=chords" -- a more cohesive sound? [Re: cotte]
jjo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
Try some Brad Mehldau solo piano, which is very contrapuntal, too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b5mdoDBjww

#2062259 - 04/10/13 03:11 AM Re: Jazz -- "RH=melody | LH=chords" -- a more cohesive sound? [Re: cotte]
Ken. Offline

I've heard that Bill Evans was influenced by the impressionistic composers like Debussy.

Peace Piece is an example of that to my mind.

#2064042 - 04/13/13 01:55 PM Re: Jazz -- "RH=melody | LH=chords" -- a more cohesive sound? [Re: erichlof]
cotte Offline

Totally agree!.

>>Evans moved away from this type of playing in his later years and went to more RH blowing horn-line and 3 or 4-note voicings in the LH with his late trios - which is what you said that you are NOT looking for. One has to wonder if he would have stayed on the more Debussy-'Ravel-esque' path and actually learned to freely improvise the impressionist textures and pianistic approaches demonstrated in this video, might we have a whole different branch of jazz, or even general music?

I wonder this often myself!.

Bill unifies my love for the Impressionists with the Jazz element. My favorite player. Although I recognize I need regular breaks from listening to him.

#2064044 - 04/13/13 01:56 PM Re: Jazz -- "RH=melody | LH=chords" -- a more cohesive sound? [Re: chrisbell]
cotte Offline

I will check on this. Thanks!

#2064047 - 04/13/13 02:03 PM Re: Jazz -- "RH=melody | LH=chords" -- a more cohesive sound? [Re: cotte]
cotte Offline

I'm thrilled with all your posts. THANKS. I was hoping to find people to talk about music apart from my piano teacher!. (I'm new to the forum as you can see).

Cecil Taylor, obviously not the RH&LH approach we described. Very appreciated and interesting. Not my cup of tea though. I really struggle with the complete atonal stuff. I love to hear rules being bent... but not completely broken smile

I love Jans music especially Jazz på svenska, the piano sound, dark and rich, the lines, the counterpoint. Not sure if I would catalog it as Jazz. Some of the tunes sound closer to some of Grieg's Lyric Pieces than Jazz. But again... what is jazz? smile

>>The technique and runs of Tatum are barely scratching the surface of his genius.
Totally true.

Thanks to etcetra, the Fred Hersch stuff was great. jjo: I listen to Brad quite a lot, I wonder why his name did not come up earlier!

#2064139 - 04/13/13 05:16 PM Re: Jazz -- "RH=melody | LH=chords" -- a more cohesive sound? [Re: cotte]
Mark Polishook Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Leicester, UK
Brad M was Fred Hersch's student.

#2064569 - 04/14/13 04:18 PM Re: Jazz -- "RH=melody | LH=chords" -- a more cohesive sound? [Re: cotte]
etcetra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I forgot to mention Mac Copland. He was a sax player, switched to piano at age 30 or something, started from scratch. His approach is very pianistic too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdMfQHJXs08

#2066021 - 04/17/13 01:33 PM Re: Jazz -- "RH=melody | LH=chords" -- a more cohesive sound? [Re: cotte]
rintincop Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I just re-learned these Evans lines starting at 1:34 and wrote them out in 5 keys ... again:

#2068903 - 04/22/13 09:14 PM Re: Jazz -- "RH=melody | LH=chords" -- a more cohesive sound? [Re: cotte]
PianoHarry Offline

Loc: Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia
George Shearing. He definitely did not play LH/chords, RH/melody.

In fact there are as many approaches to jazz piano as the imagination will allow.

Coming from a jazz guitar background I particularly like a tasty chord solo. This is something that is not really exploited on jazz piano, but we have the ability to play big, fat chords.

#2097883 - 06/07/13 01:25 PM Re: Jazz -- "RH=melody | LH=chords" -- a more cohesive sound? [Re: cotte]
Michael Martinez Offline

Loc: California
Coming from a classical world I feel most piano jazz revolves around playing chords on the left hand and the melody or solo part very distinctly on the right hand.

No. The RH definitely helps harmonize the melody. See the thread "Melody and chord tones in RH" where I posted today the method for two-handed voicing.

Quote:

What I feel mostly separates different pianists is their ability to come with better melodies better solos, more interesting harmony (i.e. right hand note choose against a set chord) etc. But I feel most of the jazz I hear revolves a lot around this approach to piano which is quite "un-pianistic" to me. They seem to be copying a horn soloist on the right hand.

Piano can be both a percussive instrument and a melodic instrument, so you'll see both techniques. You'll sometimes hear jazz pianists whose solos are like comping. John Bunch comes to mind. Although he was equally adept at bebop lines, he sometimes chose to simply play chords for his improvisation.

Quote:

Could you point me to jazz piano music where this is NOT the approach? (name specific tunes or records)

Latin salsa makes use of piano more as a percussive instrument while in the context of jazz harmony.

Edited by Michael Martinez (06/07/13 01:29 PM)

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
56 registered (AndrewJCW, aesop, beeboss, accordeur, 15 invisible), 1098 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75908 Members
42 Forums
156882 Topics
2305131 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What kind of fingering should I be using for these phrases?
by Jormungandr
Today at 03:04 AM
Mason & Hamlin BB Long distance purchase a few questions
by bigun
Today at 02:26 AM
MY NEW PIANO
by Jvmvidela
Today at 02:14 AM
Here's a Paranoid Question:
by Paul678
Today at 01:19 AM
Are you must always make A4= 440?
by Maximillyan
Today at 12:55 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission