Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2068977 - 04/22/13 11:44 PM How many pieces do you learn and practice concurrently?
Tides Offline

How many songs do you work on at any given time? By work on I mean pieces that you cannot play all the way through.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2068979 - 04/22/13 11:46 PM Re: How many pieces do you learn and practice concurrently? [Re: Tides]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Tides
How many songs do you work on at any given time?

None; I am a pianist.

It depends. Anywhere from 1 or 2 to dozens.

Polyphonist

#2069051 - 04/23/13 01:38 AM Re: How many pieces do you learn and practice concurrently? [Re: Tides]
TrueMusic Offline

Loc: San Diego, California
Learning notes - normally 2-3. I'll also be working on polishing and phrasing 2 or 3 as well. So overall, like 4-6 at once.

Proud owner of a beautiful Yamaha C7.

Polish:
Liszt Petrarch Sonnet 104
Bach WTC book 1 no. 6.
Dello Joio Sonata no. 3

New:
Chopin op. 23
Bach WTC book 2 no. 20

#2069066 - 04/23/13 01:58 AM Re: How many pieces do you learn and practice concurrently? [Re: Tides]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Depends on what genre I'm working in. If I'm reading it off the page (usually lead sheets, pop, jazz, rock, etc), as many as I can handle. If I'm learning for memorization, or playing classical, usually only one at a time. However, no matter what I'm doing, I make sure to always have something that I'm sight-reading in my routine.

#2069079 - 04/23/13 02:17 AM Re: How many pieces do you learn and practice concurrently? [Re: Polyphonist]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Originally Posted By: Polyphonist

None; I am a pianist.

1+

Normally I'm learning one piece at a time. It may not start out that way but usually whichever piece I get OCD about takes over for the duration. I'm usually polishing the last couple of pieces as well.

#2069110 - 04/23/13 04:19 AM Re: How many pieces do you learn and practice concurrently? [Re: Polyphonist]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Originally Posted By: Polyphonist

None; I am a pianist.

How many... pianists... do you work on at one time? grin

#2069135 - 04/23/13 06:10 AM Re: How many pieces do you learn and practice concurrently? [Re: Tides]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
Tides, I have read your post, here:

How many songs do you work on at any given time? By work on I mean pieces that you cannot play all the way through.

I am not sure I understand the question. Usually, if you - I am learning a piece - I work through the piece to the end before starting another piece.

Some pieces that are learned and played by advanced pianists take many weeks, month, half-years and more to learn and/or get through but you have not stated anything specific - so like I said, I don't understand your question.

#2069335 - 04/23/13 12:51 PM Re: How many pieces do you learn and practice concurrently? [Re: Tides]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
One at a time. Maybe I should do more.

#2069843 - 04/24/13 09:30 AM Re: How many pieces do you learn and practice concurrently? [Re: Michael_99]
outo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Finland
Originally Posted By: Michael_99
Tides, I have read your post, here:

I am not sure I understand the question. Usually, if you - I am learning a piece - I work through the piece to the end before starting another piece.

Some pieces that are learned and played by advanced pianists take many weeks, month, half-years and more to learn and/or get through but you have not stated anything specific - so like I said, I don't understand your question.

Michael, it's just one way to work on a piece until it's done and then go to the next one, many people work in a different way. I have several pieces all the time under work, I occasionally drop (or "finish") one and take a new one. I could not think of just working on one thing at the time, I would go absolutely grazy smile

Each of the piece focuses on different things, and the reason it works so well is because there's a limit how much one thing I can absorb in one sitting/lesson.

Generally I have about 4-5, at the moment only 2, one romantic, one baroque. The classical period ones are the ones that usually get dropped pretty soon, because I just cannot stand them...I always decide to polish them, but never do...

#2069872 - 04/24/13 10:19 AM Re: How many pieces do you learn and practice concurrently? [Re: Tides]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
Too many.... too much collaborative crap lately. I mean, it's not crap. But it's just a bit of an overload at the moment with this STUPID recital in a month. I probably have a few hours worth of rep right now...... but only 1 hr is solo.

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#2069956 - 04/24/13 12:26 PM Re: How many pieces do you learn and practice concurrently? [Re: -Frycek]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
Originally Posted By: -Frycek

Normally I'm learning one piece at a time. It may not start out that way but usually whichever piece I get OCD about takes over for the duration. I'm usually polishing the last couple of pieces as well.
This really made me laugh because I completely identify with it! For me, it depends on the size of the pieces. When I was working on the Waldstein, that was enough to keep me completely occupied for months and months. Usually I'm polishing one, learning another and reviving a third.

Deborah

#2071259 - 04/26/13 06:31 AM Re: How many pieces do you learn and practice concurrently? [Re: Tides]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

>None; I am a pianist.

You can still work on songs without words, or on the piano part of songs

#2071260 - 04/26/13 06:32 AM Re: How many pieces do you learn and practice concurrently? [Re: Tides]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Usually I work on 2 difficult pieces and a few simple pieces.

#2075127 - 05/01/13 04:29 PM Re: How many pieces do you learn and practice concurrently? [Re: Tides]
hujidong Offline

Loc: Hawaii
I like to keep a journal of my practice. This way I can set up pieces and figure out a practicing schedule that works for any coming deadlines that I need to meet. I'm currently working on 3 sets of 5 pieces, I figure that if I practice 4-6 hours a day I can at least finish one set a day and work on my pieces twice a week.

#2075184 - 05/01/13 05:56 PM Re: How many pieces do you learn and practice concurrently? [Re: Tides]
Damon Online   happy
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area

#2075187 - 05/01/13 05:58 PM Re: How many pieces do you learn and practice concurrently? [Re: Tides]
bennevis Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Only as many as I need - no more, and certainly no less.

#2075193 - 05/01/13 06:10 PM Re: How many pieces do you learn and practice concurrently? [Re: Damon]
hujidong Offline

good lord o.o

WHO ARE YOU

#2075322 - 05/01/13 10:44 PM Re: How many pieces do you learn and practice concurrently? [Re: Tides]
Brendan Online   content

Loc: McAllen, TX
Hmmmm...this year I had two concerti, two solo programs (one "standard rep" program and one with more eclectic stuff; it's best to know what to play where) and twelve heaping tablespoons of chamber music and accompanying in my fingers. So, lots of stuff. It's fun.

#2075323 - 05/01/13 10:45 PM Re: How many pieces do you learn and practice concurrently? [Re: Tides]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I'm thinking about learning the complete Chopin mazurkas and recording them (a multi-year project). smile

In that case, I'd have quite a lot in my fingers, no? 60-odd pieces, 3 hours of music?

Polyphonist

#2075326 - 05/01/13 10:59 PM Re: How many pieces do you learn and practice concurrently? [Re: Tides]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Good luck! I would love to hear that. I have slowly grown on his shorter works. smile

#2075327 - 05/01/13 11:00 PM Re: How many pieces do you learn and practice concurrently? [Re: Tides]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Now wait a minute, it's just an idea! ha

Don't expect the recording anytime soon! grin

Polyphonist

#2075328 - 05/01/13 11:02 PM Re: How many pieces do you learn and practice concurrently? [Re: Tides]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Haha, same with a lot of my ideas. I hope one day my ideas come to fruition. Even if they are by an "inferior" composer, such as Alkan. smile

#2075329 - 05/01/13 11:03 PM Re: How many pieces do you learn and practice concurrently? [Re: Tides]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Just start with Op 39, then see where you're at. ha

Polyphonist

#2075334 - 05/01/13 11:11 PM Re: How many pieces do you learn and practice concurrently? [Re: Tides]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I don't know if you mean Alkan's, or Choin's, or Rachmaninoff, so I will discuss all three. laugh

Chopin's Op. 39 is wonderful. I love the third Scherzo. I have read through it many times, and eventually will learn it.

Rachmaninoff's etudes Op. 39 are also amazing. I love every one of them. I will sight read through them this summer, and pray that one day I'll have the technique to play them.

And now, Alkan's Op. 39. The peculiar guy and his music. On the surface, I think it is fine music. Dig deeper: he does not explore harmonically like Chopin or Rachmaninoff (though R lived much later), but in the same way, his music has a "directness" and "freshness" that personally appeals well to me. I find "Comme le Vent" to be humorous (like Haydn and Prokofiev) and fun. It is hard to play, but so are Chopin's Etudes, Liszt's etudes, and Rachmaninoff's 3rd piano concerto (as well as other works of his).

Poly, I don't want to try to say Alkan is better than the other composers, because he isn't. He just isn't. But, I think I might be the biggest Alkan fan to frequent Piano World, and even though he is a second tier composer at best, I still love him!

#2075336 - 05/01/13 11:13 PM Re: How many pieces do you learn and practice concurrently? [Re: Tides]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

And I did not even mention Ferrucio Busoni's piano concerto, Op. 39... Which may also be "nonstandard" and "inferior" music, but I still love and think is very good! wink

#2075337 - 05/01/13 11:14 PM Re: How many pieces do you learn and practice concurrently? [Re: hujidong]
Damon Online   happy
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: hujidong
good lord o.o

WHO ARE YOU

Is this reply to me? The op originally said songs. I practice 43 songs which represents 3 hours of music that I'm contracted to play at most gigs. Classical pieces are more of a hobby for me and depending on my work load, those range from zero to 6 or so.

#2075339 - 05/01/13 11:15 PM Re: How many pieces do you learn and practice concurrently? [Re: Tides]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I was talking about Alkan's, because he was the one you mentioned in the last post.

That would be an interesting thread - best work with each opus number. Want to start it? ha

Polyphonist

#2075357 - 05/01/13 11:32 PM Re: How many pieces do you learn and practice concurrently? [Re: Tides]
hujidong Offline

Oh I saw 43 and was like daaaaaaaaaaayummmmm whaaaaaaaaaa. yeh!
that's cool too i guess.
*snobby nose rise*

XD

#2075371 - 05/01/13 11:43 PM Re: How many pieces do you learn and practice concurrently? [Re: Tides]
MiaoW Offline

Loc: Sichuan, China
Gnerally 20 minutes' piece(s) for every 2 weeks, I guess.

#2076161 - 05/02/13 08:48 PM Re: How many pieces do you learn and practice concurrently? [Re: MiaoW]
Tides Offline

On another note, what percentage of playing time do you all allot towards scales, exercises, or other things of that nature?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai CE220 CA65 cabinet vibrations
by origen
09/23/14 04:43 PM
Baldwin 243 for Grade 4 students - Advice please!
by LeslieG
09/23/14 04:39 PM
Exorcist movie main theme
by Danijelcro
09/23/14 12:03 PM
Free Cunningham Piano Company Grand Piano
by Rich D.
09/23/14 11:05 AM
Baldwin capo: a metallic-buzz sound generating system
by A443
09/23/14 11:00 AM
Who's Online
157 registered (A Guy, accordeur, 36251, 44 invisible), 1482 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76297 Members
42 Forums
157712 Topics
2316607 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission