Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#2069746 - 04/24/13 03:56 AM Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here!
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
For those of you who have always wanted to post a recording, but were nervous about jumping in: this thread is dedicated to you!

It takes guts to post your first recording. There are plenty of places to do so: You can post it in the monthly Piano Bar, or participate in a themed recital, or take part in the Quarterly ABF Recital. We would love to have you participate, no matter what your level is. You can even start your own thread and title it “Listen to me!” Go for it!

Not all of us have that rock star confidence, though. With all of the continuously progressing players around here, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed. And if that doesn’t bother you (and I hope it doesn’t), it’s awfully hard not to be nervous. It’s the Internet, and a lot of people might hear you!

It took me a while to participate, myself... I get anxious if I even think that the neighbors hear me! I am notorious for hesitating and losing my place in my pieces, and polishing my pieces are not my strong suit. So I never even thought I should bother. But one day I was peer-pressured (ha!) into a themed recital and nervously posted a recording. But I'll tell you what - the kind words and encouragement I received from forum members after posting that piece put me at ease. These people are amazing! It also helped me focus more on my weaknesses, and want to give better performances, instead of blowing through pieces. I can’t tell you how helpful it is, and I wish I’d done it sooner.

So I would like to encourage you not to wait as long as I did!
It can be your first piece from Alfred’s, Ode to Joy. It can be that first piece that feels like “real music” to you. A Lady Gaga piece you learned from a YouTube Tutorial. Or you’ve just come back from a 30 year hiatus from playing and want to dust off Clair de Lune. The C scale. Or, if you’ve just learned where middle C is and want to show us. That’s an accomplishment! We want to hear it!

There are no deadlines, and only one requirement.. that your recording is your first musical offering to PW. Please tell us about yourself, too!

Already posted something on PW? Feel free to lend your support to the newcomers – we’ve all been there.

Come play with us!

FAQs:
How do I record myself?
Recording your piano
Recording using Zoom

How do I share my recording?
Use Box as an audio link to your recording
Create a Youtube Video

How can I create a video using an audio recording?
Creating a Youtube video with an audio recording

What does ecco fatto mean?
It's Italian for "There! It's done!" You will think this with relief after you get your recording finished. Hop to it!

Edited by AimeeO (04/24/13 03:58 AM)

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2069791 - 04/24/13 07:04 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Yeah, I get to be first:

https://www.box.com/s/v5l0k7ps4lu9atw3ahng

Up until recently I was a mad ultra running nut. I lived for the sport, trained nearly every day and had just competed in my first 100 kilometre & 100 mile events both in 2012.

Unfortunately age has caught up with me and I have stopped running completely, but now I have poured all that normal energy into learning piano. I have been playing for five months and love the instrument and all it's complexities.

I am currently taking lessons and playing from a wide range of music including the Alfred's all in one course from which this song comes.

Edited by earlofmar (04/24/13 07:06 AM)

#2069796 - 04/24/13 07:31 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: earlofmar]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: earlofmar
Yeah, I get to be first:

I am currently taking lessons and playing from a wide range of music including the Alfred's all in one course from which this song comes.

This is great earlofmar - nice steady tempo, and the trills or ornaments or whatever they are called are clear and lively. Congratulations on posting your first recording!

I too, am feeling my age - I'm going on a 100 mile hike in June - but I plan to take a whole week and it's definitely not a race!

Sam

#2069800 - 04/24/13 08:01 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Earlofmar - congrats on being the first! I really enjoyed listening to this piece and I think you're making wonderful progress after six months! You must practice often and efficiently!

I particularly liked the ornatmentation, and you really sound "in control" all the way through, no rushing or fumbling about ----I could picture a raven haired couple, he in black and white, she in stunning red, dancing about and clicking their heels. She of course had a fan.

Most enjoyable!

AimeeO --- what a super thread -great intro and background information - wonderfully encouraging - I'm sure this thread is going to be very active!

#2069802 - 04/24/13 08:04 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: earlofmar]
tlh1 Offline

Loc: Florida
Great job earlofmar! And this after only 5 months--amazing. I've been learning this song very recently and my main problem was the timing of the trills (probably the wrong word but I hope you know what I mean). Mine are often too fast and I also wonder whether yours have the right length. In any case, it sounds very good and fluent. I'm curious to see what pieces you'll be playing by the end of the year. Best wishes, Oliver

#2069822 - 04/24/13 08:51 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisboa, Portugal
Nice playing, earlofmar!
In Portugal "Fandango" is a traditional music and is danced in a very special way:

CarlosCC records
Self-learning since 12/2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

#2069836 - 04/24/13 09:18 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Earlofmar, that's very nice. The song consists of several simple elements, but then has those ornaments that can be pretty tricky when just starting out. Thanks for sharing!

(This would totally fit in the upcoming recital, by the way.)

#2069857 - 04/24/13 10:00 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Very nicely done, earlofmar.

#2069863 - 04/24/13 10:06 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: keystring]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Excellent job Earlomar! You showed great expression and steady rhythm throughout. That is quite a lively tune. Great progress in just a few months!

#2069875 - 04/24/13 10:21 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
Kristina1 Offline

Loc: UK
I do have a recording of my very own version of "Greensleeves".
I sometimes record my playing "to check up" whether I still would like my version of a piece if I would "only listen to it", but I have never filmed myself because that does not seem important to me in the context of my learning how to play the piano.

Would that do or is it important to have it filmed as well?

Thanks from Kristina.

#2069876 - 04/24/13 10:23 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: Kristina1]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: Kristina1
I do have a recording of my very own version of "Greensleeves".
I sometimes record my playing "to check up" whether I still would like my version of a piece if I would "only listen to it", but I have never filmed myself because that does not seem important to me in the context of my learning how to play the piano.

Would that do or is it important to have it filmed as well?

Thanks from Kristina.

Just audio is FINE smile !

#2069881 - 04/24/13 10:33 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
Congratulations, earlofmar, on the being the first to post in the new thread and making your first post on the forum.

For five months you're not short of confidence. This is a very enthusiastic performance and you've captured both the spirit and the rhythm very well.

Well played!

#2069894 - 04/24/13 10:47 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
ElleC Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Congrats earlofmar! Nice work on the fandango and nice that you've been able to focus your energy in another kind of activity. Piano is wonderful, isn't it?

#2069903 - 04/24/13 10:58 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Well, that made me smile, which is hard to do this early in the morning. As others have said, nice trills - but what I really think is cool that is that you kept going - the music comes first! It was really quite lively and spirited - just right, very clear and musical. Excellent.

Kristina - I never submit videos - audio only. So it's perfectly acceptable to me.

Cathy

#2069904 - 04/24/13 10:59 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Oh, and Aimee - great post, and great title for this place! I'm getting fat already laugh

Cathy

#2069907 - 04/24/13 11:00 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
ElleC Offline

I'm not going to post any recording cause I've already "popped my cherry" at the April's Piano bar . But, as a newbie pianist and forum member, I'd like to take this oppotunity to formally introduce myself.

My name is Michelle (or Elle). Started piano in January cause I was jealous of my 7 year old niece laugh My parents never really pushed me to take up any kind of instruments as a child but I've always had the desire to learn as I was growing up but never the time and money to take lessons (or buy a piano for that matter). I'm at a point in my life now where finances are stable and I have the time to commit to learning this art, I figured it would be the best time to learn. I was never the one to think that it's too late to learn anything so here I am...obsessed with piano. I'm not in to running like earlofmar, but I am passionate about snowboarding and cooking.

#2069938 - 04/24/13 11:47 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
Saranoya Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brussels, Belgium
I'm glad to see this thread get off the ground! Could someone make it into a sticky, perhaps?

Earlofmar: pretty polished performance of the Fandango! I'd heard it before, but there is something about the conviction with which you play that makes this into something more than just a person going through a piece from a method book. You've managed to make the music 'speak'.

And yes, I know that's very vague and mushy and everything, but this is me: I think and speak primarily in terms of the feelings it evokes in me, when it comes to music. That's the most important bar to clear for me: even if it's not technically perfect, does the music tell a story? And you've cleared the bar admirably. Way to go!

Currently Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Burgmller 100/3, 4, 7, 12, 15, 19, 25
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9

Future
Burgmller 109
Bartok Sz 56
Mozart K331

#2069955 - 04/24/13 12:24 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
ooooh, all my recording equipment came this morning by FedEx!!! Time to get cracking!!! Thank you so much for the links in the initial post to this thread! Just the step by step instructions I need! It will take me a bit of time to get things figured out. But, thank you for this thread as first foray into recording on PW!!!

#2069997 - 04/24/13 02:20 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: earlofmar]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
earlofmar

Sorry to hear you can`t run so well now. I`m having the same trouble and looking . . ,.ever looking for a solution!

Your debut was confident and well played. Onwards and upwards!! Nice piano too.

""

#2070011 - 04/24/13 02:45 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bulgaria
Excellent first recording! Mine was nothing like that, it was messy!

Recitals:

#2070036 - 04/24/13 03:39 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

earlofmar, just got to have listen. Great job. Very snappy and very musical. Could envision Fanango dancers going wild. A very respectable first attempt at recording. Heck, you sound like a pro!!!

#2070077 - 04/24/13 04:41 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Earlofmar,

That was a great performance, particularly for someone playing just 5 months. Congrats, you are off to a great start.

To other potential 1st time submitters: I fear you may be put off a bit by how good earlofmar did on his first submission.... DON'T BE! Trust me on this, most first submissions are far, far, less polished. The whole idea is to just get over the hurdle and put something up, so don't let yourself hestitate waiting for that "perfect" performance.

Estonia L190 #7284

#2070107 - 04/24/13 05:20 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
I think this is a great idea, and am willing to share my FIRST EVER RECORDING! I don't mind if people ptsl, I was really happy to have achieved playing it lol. There you go, no-one need to be embarassed posting now lol wink

#2070111 - 04/24/13 05:27 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
This will show the very beginners just how far somebody can come along in less than two years Wayne, as you have done, what with the Glass and Satie and mendelssohn.

well done indeed.

Dipsey saw you topless and said "have you been to the gym?"

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

#2070121 - 04/24/13 05:41 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
AimeeO Offline

Earlofmar, that is wonderful! Great job keeping the tempo up! It's very musical as well, which can be hard when you're starting out. I could dance to that smile I'm glad it's proven to be such a good outlet to replace some of your running.

Kristina, welcome! I for one would love to hear your rendition of Greensleeves. You don't have to do video - you can post it through Box, or you can take the sound file and put a picture on it and make it a video (I usually use pictures of my garden).

Nice to meet you, Elle!

Dynamobt, I can't wait to hear your first submission!

And thanks so much to everyone else for popping in! Nice topless shot, Wayne wink

#2070378 - 04/25/13 01:08 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
Sam Rose Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Earlofmar, that was wonderful!! You're gonna be fun to watch as you get better and better.

To the OP, should I post my first piano recording? I can dig it up somewhere. It's most certainly private wherever I have it posted because it is certainly awful. That might help inspire some people to come out of the woodwork. smile
Chopin Ballade no 1 in G minor Op.23
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $

#2070392 - 04/25/13 01:22 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Hm. I *think* the idea here is to get people to post their first PW recording in real time - those that are leery of posting a recording at all. Those who have posted other recordings are past that leeriness. I don't really think - I could be wrong - that it's meant for me to post my first recording, which was a Joplin rag in a study thread.

This thread came from a discussion about how to encourage people who have never posted a recording to post one, so they get the experience of the kind of feedback we have here, and might then go on to play in a recital, or the piano bar, or whatever, rather than being intimidated by the more experienced postes.

But hey, I could be wrong -

Cathy

#2070398 - 04/25/13 01:39 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
Saranoya Offline
500 Post Club Member

I believe Cathy is right. This thread as it was originally envisioned is for those who have never shared anything on PW, before.

There was another idea doing the rounds, though: that of a 'baby pictures' thread, where the more experienced and accomplished members could show us where they started. That, IMO, could also help mitigate the reticence some people feel about posting recordings of themselves here. But I do believe we shouldn't confuse the two.

So, who's going to start the baby pictures thread? wink

Currently Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9

Future
Burgmller 109
Bartok Sz 56
Mozart K331

#2070418 - 04/25/13 03:42 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: casinitaly]
Kristina1 Offline

Loc: UK
Well done, Wayne, I admire your courage to make your first public appearance on the Internet;
I haven't got that far yet and I wish you all best for future examples of your playing, thank you,

and thank you, Earlofmar on your wonderful timing and rhythm:
you obviously have found the secret of how to learn the piano most efficiently
and the way you play sounds very inspiring!

Thank you for your kind encouragement, casinitaly, it is very much appreciated.

I have been thinking what AimeeO said, that it takes courage to participate...

It also takes complete trust in the Internet and unfortunately I am not quite sure
if I am already “hardened enough” to display my playing.
I think I need a little bit more time to consider...

Thanks from Kristina.

Edited by Kristina1 (04/25/13 04:03 AM)

#2070441 - 04/25/13 05:16 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks folks for all the very kind comments, I am quite touched by them.

Up until now only my wife and piano teacher have heard me play so finding this forum has given me the opportunity to show what I have been up to.

I look forward to hearing other submissions, so just be brave everyone and get it out there.

#2070463 - 04/25/13 07:13 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: Saranoya]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Saranoya

I nominate Sam R, although I expect it will feature him ripping through something-or-another at a very high skill level. smile

Can we work the word "bambini" into the thread name?

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2070475 - 04/25/13 07:53 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: aTallGuyNH]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: aTallGuyNH

I nominate Sam R, although I expect it will feature him ripping through something-or-another at a very high skill level. smile

Can we work the word "bambini" into the thread name?

How about "Columbini Bambini Café"??

I don't know any Italian, but it was all I could find that rhymes. It means either "Baby Pigeons" or "Baby Doves"... not sure which since I saw both. Seems odd to have one word for both? Anyway... I hope it's pigeon, since this strikes me as way more amusing.

XXIX-XXXII

#2070602 - 04/25/13 11:53 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: earlofmar]
stumbler Offline

Loc: Toronto
earlofmar - I love fandangos. I really enjoyed your recording.

#2070650 - 04/25/13 12:46 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: wayne33yrs]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
wAYNE33

"The first time I ever saw your face" .- we got ta see a tad more than that, man! I thought "Lucky $%&*%, bet `e lives in a hot country" Sheffield!!!!

Well done on your first attempt! Keep pluggin` away . . grin

""

#2070690 - 04/25/13 01:55 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
AimeeO Offline

Sam - as Cathy and Saranoya said, it's for people who have never posted before. Sand Tiger did have the idea for a baby pictures thread.. I think it's a great idea, and maybe someone should start it smile

Kristina, I understand. Take your time. But honestly, the only bad comments about my postings come from me. (But then I don't have my postings checked as public on youtube.. that's where the evilness comes in hehehehe)

Glad this was a pleasant experience, Earl!

Who's next?

#2070746 - 04/25/13 03:25 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: earlofmar]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Liverpool, England

blush What earlofmar and Wayne uploaded were really good- enjoyed listening to them. I am an absolute beginner- so this is not very good! I was practising Scarborough Fair as I was thinking of polishing that to record and upload, but this impro came out instead...

https://www.box.com/s/x2xo3v48ciopu8oxvqs8

Probably doesn't help that I'm feeling a bit squiffy today.

Edited by EdwardianPiano (04/25/13 04:15 PM)

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2070766 - 04/25/13 03:55 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
stumbler Offline

EdwardianPiano, I can't access that link.

I think you need to obtain a share link to the file on box, either via "share" adjacent to the file in folder view, or via Sharing on the right toolbar in file view.

#2070777 - 04/25/13 04:14 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks for letting me know- never uploaded a music file before- will have a look now...

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2070778 - 04/25/13 04:16 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Can you see it now?

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2070786 - 04/25/13 04:27 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
stumbler Offline

EwardianPiano - yes, perfect.
I am always impressed by improvisations posted on this forum. (Myself, I can't improvise for more than a couple bars before falling apart.) Your piece makes me think of someone riding a horse across the countryside, something in the rhythm.

#2070793 - 04/25/13 04:40 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: stumbler]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: stumbler
EwardianPiano - yes, perfect.
I am always impressed by improvisations posted on this forum. (Myself, I can't improvise for more than a couple bars before falling apart.) Your piece makes me think of someone riding a horse across the countryside, something in the rhythm.

Thanks stumbler. I know there could be more variation and progression to this impro...maybe more will come know knows! Horses are good LOL.

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2070876 - 04/25/13 07:01 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: EdwardianPiano]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

To access this shared folder, visit this link:
https://www.box.com/s/6lmm1umx4mkszd9d11kp#/s/6lmm1umx4mkszd9d11kp/1/835459630/7731431698/1

Haven't a clue if this will work. I have meandered through the various technologies without a clue what I was doing. Terrible mic placement. Just wanted to get something recorded and get this process done once.

Well, it's there!!! Truly amazing!!! This is the Bach D minor Invention.

Not happy with my playing. Are any of us ever happy.

Edited by dynamobt (04/26/13 01:35 PM)

#2070879 - 04/25/13 07:12 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

EdwardianPiano - how cool that you're improvising. I can't imagine anything that will give you more confidence and familiarity at the piano, and that's really important. Good for you!

Cathy

#2070882 - 04/25/13 07:16 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

dynamobt - I got to box.net, and a screen where I could press play, and while the little pointer moved like it was playing something, I didn't get any sound! I have no clue why not, but thought I'd let you know -

Cathy

#2070883 - 04/25/13 07:19 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

the recording comes in quite late like 19 seconds

and have your computer volumn up fairly high. I have no idea what "gain" or audio setting I put the recorder on. Probably not high enough!!!

Edited by dynamobt (04/25/13 07:30 PM)

#2070889 - 04/25/13 07:30 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

That worked!

I loved it smile I like Bach, and I liked the balance between your hands, and the playfullness I heard in the left hand. Very nice.

Cathy

#2070890 - 04/25/13 07:34 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: jotur]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'm sure there is a way to crop the space before the music starts. I'm not at that level of proficiency yet!!!! Next time, I won't be so surprised the recorder started recording, and I'll have my music on the piano and my glasses on!!!! I was a little unprepared for it to actually "RECORD"!!!

#2070896 - 04/25/13 07:41 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
stumbler Offline

dynamobt - this is one of my favourite inventions. Well played.
I really liked what you did with the long left had trill (around 1:00) switching between trill and sixteenths. I haven't heard it interpreted that way before.

Edited by stumbler (04/25/13 07:41 PM)

#2070920 - 04/25/13 08:12 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: Saranoya]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New England, USA
Great job earlofmar! That pieces seems very hard and you played it very well!! How long have you been playing for?? 5 months only?? I really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing!

What a fantastic improvisation EdwardianPiano!! I really liked the harmonies and the flow you had in it!

Wayne, that was a really cool video and you play vey good too. How long had you played at that point? I noticed that this is 33 years ago almost to the day!!! It fits your user name very well!

Well, I don't have a video of me playing as a kid, but I just recorded the first video of my oldest son playing and singing his favorite piece on piano. I am trying to teach him but he is picking up things faster than I had expected. That is why I am letting him do tricks like playing all major scales with his eyes closed and arms crossed (at the same time!) as a warm up every day...

Here is my son playing "In Dreams" from the movie "The Lord of the Rings":

Edited by Amaruk (04/25/13 08:18 PM)

#2070950 - 04/25/13 08:42 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
1000 Post Club Member

That is so cute, well done to Amaruk's son, I am sure your going to be a great pianist and singer in the future

#2070960 - 04/25/13 08:51 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: dynamobt]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: dynamobt
To access this shared folder, visit this link:
https://www.box.com/s/6lmm1umx4mkszd9d11kp

Haven't a clue if this will work. I have meandered through the various technologies without a clue what I was doing. Terrible mic placement. Just wanted to get something recorded and get this process done once.

Well, it's there!!! Truly amazing!!! This is the Bach D minor Invention.

Not happy with my playing. Are any of us ever happy.

No dynamobt we are never happy, but you can hold your head up high that was a terrific first piece. Maintained a nice flow though out without sounding forced, congratulations.

Audacity is a free software program that allows you to edit your sound files including sniping out unwanted sections. It is also quite easy to use for simple editing.

#2070965 - 04/25/13 09:02 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
AimeeO Offline

EdwardianPiano: Great improv! I couldn't do that to save my life. Thanks for sharing! I hope to hear your Scarborough Fair soon (I did a version of that when I was doing Alfred's and it wasn't that easy for me!)

Dynamobt: Well done on that Invention! You have a great confidence that comes through. I'm excited for you and your new equipment. that means we'll get to hear lots more!
Oh, if you want to crop, try Audacity.. it's free! I've started just pushing play on my recorder instead of starting and stopping repeatedly whenever I mess up, and this comes in handy. Very easy to use, too!

Amaruk, your son is adorable. And he can play AND sing! You are very lucky smile

#2070969 - 04/25/13 09:07 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: Amaruk]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
Originally Posted By: Amaruk

Wayne, that was a really cool video and you play very good too. How long had you played at that point? I noticed that this is 33 years ago almost to the day!!! It fits your user name very well!

Pmsl smile That was nearly 4yrs bk, the first "song" I learnt and recorded. (about a month from inheriting me' nan's piano) I'm now 34yrs old lol, so was 30yrs when I started my piano journey wink

#2070982 - 04/25/13 09:32 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
Saranoya Offline
500 Post Club Member

EdwardianPiano: Congrats on your improv! It sounds quite sophisticated to me. Keep going down that road, I'm sure you'll do great things!

Dynamobt: I used to think of Bach as dry and soulless (even when listening to professional pianists who are considered something of an expert on Bach, like Glenn Gould). Since coming to this forum, I've discovered I was wrong. SwissMS was among the first of those who convinced me of that. You've just added some more kindling to the fire. Way to go! And now I'm going to have to go out and buy a bundle of Bach's inventions, so I can take them to my teacher the next time she asks me what I want to play now!

Amaruk: Yep, there's definitely no denying the 'cute' factor here. Also, that's quite impressive, for a kid his age who has been taking lessons from his 'adult beginner' father!

Currently Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9

Future
Burgmller 109
Bartok Sz 56
Mozart K331

#2071021 - 04/25/13 10:16 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
EdwardianPiano - how cool that you're improvising. I can't imagine anything that will give you more confidence and familiarity at the piano, and that's really important. Good for you!
Cathy.

I have been improvising since I started piano- they seem to come out of the blue. All very simple stuff at the moment. I like noodling about. Yes, it does help me think about what notes and chords I am playing and exercises my fingers. Usually what I can noodle is harder than what I can sight read.

dynamobt -liked your Bach invention- you played it well. How long have you been playing? That'd be too hard for me right now. I'm plodding away with the Bach minuet in G though- been taking me weeks to get to bar 3.

earlofmar- 5 months and you can play that? That is some achievement.

Quote:
What a fantastic improvisation EdwardianPiano!! I really liked the harmonies and the flow you had in it!

Thanks very much Aimee. I would like to work on this impro more and get my chord changes more smooth and vary the melody further. I wish I had had this netbook with its sound recording programme earlier as I had noodled a few impros last year and forgot them. I wrote a few chords and notes down but not sure I'd remember any of them. I bet you could noodle and impro too Aimee- I often just close my eyes and let my fingers wander over the keys and something turns up. I like to think Cecil B de Piano is giving me a tune! (That's my piano's name- he is about 103 years old).

Amaruk your son is sweet and is doing very well on the piano! I like the music from Lord of the Rings myself. Is he sight reading a score there? How old is he?

Wayne- nice you inherited your Gran's piano! I'm sure you will cheer many folks up with your shirtless playing. laugh

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2071022 - 04/25/13 10:19 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
EdwardianPiano: Congrats on your improv! It sounds quite sophisticated to me. Keep going down that road, I'm sure you'll do great things!

Wow thanks Saranoya! I think it is in D minor- will have to show it to my teacher. I appreciate all the kind comments, especially as it is past 3 am and I am awake with a dodgy tummy. Cheers me up!

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2071034 - 04/25/13 10:30 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: EdwardianPiano]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

Edwardianpiano, I have been playing most of my life. I started lessons when I was 5 years old. I took continuous lessons for about 6 years. Then I switched to popular organ. It was the ruination of my piano. Oh well. Then I didn't take lessons for years and years. Learned a lot on my own but it was very off and on. Mostly off. Took lessons briefly ten years ago for two years. I got horribly overfaced and gave it all up again for 10 years. Just back a year now. For all the time I have put into the piano I should be much better than I am. Well, I'm hoping there is still time for me to improve to play some of the great music I aspire to play. We'll see. I really like my new teacher. I'm having fun. That's a first!! And for now, I'll take that over significant improvement.

Edited by dynamobt (04/25/13 10:33 PM)

#2071039 - 04/25/13 10:38 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'm glad you have a new teacher you like! I could tell by your playing you were connected with the music and enjoying it- it flows well.

Myself- I got my piano about two years ago- had 3 lessons then the teacher went travelling abroad, and I couldn't afford any lessons from anyone else due to unemployment. So I noodled here and there, and tried to learn a bit of sight reading. Sometimes I didn't noodle for weeks over the winter as my piano was in a cold lounge in a shared house and his keys were like ice! I started lessons properly with a new teacher in the middle of September last year.

Edited by EdwardianPiano (04/25/13 10:42 PM)

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2071075 - 04/25/13 11:06 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
PianoStudent88 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
I am enjoying listening to all the recordings. Thank you to all who have shared your first recording.

#2071086 - 04/25/13 11:19 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

It was nerve wracking for me but also rather cathartic- a hurdle I overcame and now it makes me more enthusiastic...I look forward to looking back on that first recording in the future and seeing some progression. Maybe now I can work on something better for the May piano bar.....
It's also useful for me to record myself as I learn new pieces and see where I'm at.

Edited by EdwardianPiano (04/25/13 11:30 PM)

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2071174 - 04/26/13 01:53 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
1000 Post Club Member

I look forward to hearing your future recordings EdwardianPiano. While I love to hear a traditional version done well, I love even more to hear someone improvising.

#2071286 - 04/26/13 07:43 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: earlofmar]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

I look forward to hearing your future recordings EdwardianPiano. While I love to hear a traditional version done well, I love even more to hear someone improvising.

Thank you that's very kind. I look forward to hearing more of your recordings also. I aim to upload Scarborough Fair to the next piano bar. The version I have of Scarborough Fair is from 8 notes I think it is. I can play it but when I was playing it last year I changed and added some notes. I don't know what the usual key for it is but this version is in D minor.

Edited by EdwardianPiano (04/26/13 07:43 AM)

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2071304 - 04/26/13 08:37 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
1000 Post Club Member

I have two versions of this wonderful song, D Minor is the scale in both. So we can all look forward to Scarborough Fair soon.

#2071386 - 04/26/13 10:44 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: EdwardianPiano]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: EdwardianPiano
It was nerve wracking for me but also rather cathartic- a hurdle I overcame and now it makes me more enthusiastic...I look forward to looking back on that first recording in the future and seeing some progression. Maybe now I can work on something better for the May piano bar.....

Yay!! That is the whole point of this thread... to encourage people to participate via sharing their recordings.

The way you talk about your playing (having seen your posts over many months) makes it sounds as though you barely make it through Mary Had a Little Lamb after agonizing weeks of practice! We now have tangible evidence that you can play better than you've been letting on. smile

I love old pianos like Cecil B... my theory is that the age of the wood creates a tone that is impossible to duplicate in a new piano. I have no idea what I'm talking about though, just a sense I have when I hear that tone.

Amaruk -- How old is your son? He looks a lot like me at that age, so watching him was interesting from that perspective. He is adorable and quite musical.

Dynamo -- Those trills sound awfully tricky, particularly in the left hand. Re: wanting to improve more, have you checked out Josh Wright on YouTube yet? He's excellent and might be a good source to augment your teacher's instruction. Unlike your teacher, Josh is available 24/7. smile

XXIX-XXXII

#2071505 - 04/26/13 12:39 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

You are right Edwardianpiano that this was kind of liberating!! I was by myself last night, except for our dog. I just kind of up and decided to do it without thinking too much. I'm still kind of in shock that I ended up with a file I could share. Though, I think I should change the link to my recording to the loaded "Play" page and not the folder that it is in. I really am just wandering through these technologies and figuring things out as I go. Anyway, without this thread, I'm not sure I would have jumped in at this point. I worry and overthink things too much sometimes. It was good to just do it and get it over with!!!

Everyone really well done not only on their playing but jumping in and taking part!! The playing was really the easiest part for me. It's these audio technologies that baffle me!!!

#2071509 - 04/26/13 12:45 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'm viewing this thread as a "gateway drug" to participating in the recitals. smile

XXIX-XXXII

#2071545 - 04/26/13 01:36 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: dynamobt]
AimeeO Offline

Y Anyway, without this thread, I'm not sure I would have jumped in at this point. I worry and overthink things too much sometimes. It was good to just do it and get it over with!!!

Everyone really well done not only on their playing but jumping in and taking part!! The playing was really the easiest part for me. It's these audio technologies that baffle me!!!

Ecco Fatto! hehehehe
Since that is the whole point of the thread, I'm really happy to hear this.

#2071559 - 04/26/13 01:52 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: dynamobt]
3000 Post Club Member

Though, I think I should change the link to my recording to the loaded "Play" page and not the folder that it is in.

That would be helpful; otherwise it's hard to know which to click on once the listener gets to the folder.

Quote:
I really am just wandering through these technologies and figuring things out as I go.

Me too! Congratulations on figuring it out.

#2071585 - 04/26/13 02:24 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: PianoStudent88]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

I successfully edited my post to change the link to the file itself. Slowly by surely, I will get the hang of all of this. The truth is that even the unedited recording was much better sound quality than I had anticipated. Next time, if I could have my music ready and glasses on, I could eliminate much of that dead space prior to the music starting!! Audacity is not intuitive to me. Figuring out the H2n was easier.

Who would have thought that this is FUN!!! I'm so glad I found PW!!!

#2071624 - 04/26/13 03:15 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: earlofmar]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

I have two versions of this wonderful song, D Minor is the scale in both. So we can all look forward to Scarborough Fair soon.

The one I have is just one page- that's enough for my ability right now...not played two pages of anything yet!

But maybe I can repeat it and maybe find a you tube tutorial to expand on it.

Funnily enough I was learning the Paul Simon version on acoustic guitar 3 years ago. I never finished it as I got bad eczema on my hands and never went back to guitar as piano is my instrument really. But I will at some point go back to guitar. The adult education centres here have beginner's guitar classes.

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2071632 - 04/26/13 03:21 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: aTallGuyNH]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
[quote=EdwardianPiano]It was nerve wracking for me but also rather cathartic- a hurdle I overcame and now it makes me more enthusiastic...I look forward to looking back on that first recording in the future and seeing some progression. Maybe now I can work on something better for the May piano bar.....

Yay!! That is the whole point of this thread... to encourage people to participate via sharing their recordings.

The way you talk about your playing (having seen your posts over many months) makes it sounds as though you barely make it through Mary Had a Little Lamb after agonizing weeks of practice! We now have tangible evidence that you can play better than you've been letting on. smile

I love old pianos like Cecil B... my theory is that the age of the wood creates a tone that is impossible to duplicate in a new piano. I have no idea what I'm talking about though, just a sense I have when I hear that tone.

Thank you ATallGuy! Believe me though I do have days when I fluff tunes as simple as Mary Had A Little Lamb!
I was talking to a work colleague today about my piano learning and this wonderful forum. ( She plays piano herself). I had previously told her of my struggles and my slowness and she had said that my progress was normal. I told her today that I think I might be doing better than I thought. My piano teacher has been telling me that, but I thought he was just being kind.

I think you are right about older pianos like my Cecil- they do have a deeper richer sound to my ears. I have CDS of music played on pianos from the c.1700s- mid 1800s and wow do they sound different.

Edited by EdwardianPiano (04/26/13 03:22 PM)

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2071636 - 04/26/13 03:25 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: dynamobt]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

You are right Edwardianpiano that this was kind of liberating!! I was by myself last night, except for our dog. I just kind of up and decided to do it without thinking too much. I'm still kind of in shock that I ended up with a file I could share. Though, I think I should change the link to my recording to the loaded "Play" page and not the folder that it is in. I really am just wandering through these technologies and figuring things out as I go. Anyway, without this thread, I'm not sure I would have jumped in at this point. I worry and overthink things too much sometimes. It was good to just do it and get it over with!!!

dynamobt I bet your dog is great company. smile I'm glad you shared your recording as it gave me confidence to share something myself. I'd never uploaded a music file to a site myself either but Box is fairly straightforward.

Edited by EdwardianPiano (04/26/13 03:25 PM)

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2071637 - 04/26/13 03:27 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: aTallGuyNH]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'm viewing this thread as a "gateway drug" to participating in the recitals. smile

Me too. A question though- once we have linked a recording here is is just for the first recording only and then just one each til we go to the piano bar?

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2071728 - 04/26/13 05:48 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: EdwardianPiano]
1000 Post Club Member

Me too. A question though- once we have linked a recording here is is just for the first recording only and then just one each til we go to the piano bar?

That is correct EdwardianPiano, Ecco Fatto Cafe is a one of chance for beginners to get over the hurdle of recording and putting themselves out there. From here it's to the piano bar and recitals we must perform. I am a little nervous about that.

#2072089 - 04/27/13 12:23 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
AimeeO Offline

Edwardian: Yes, just one. Ecco Fatto is to help you get your feet wet!

Earl: Don't be nervous.. they are encouraging in both the piano bar and the recital. smile

#2072902 - 04/28/13 03:49 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Well after an extremely frustrating 12 round bout with YouTube I was finally able to creat an account and log in and promptly uploaded the wrong file. Rather than tax myself again with technology it'll have to do. This piece is completely unpolished and only my second attempt at recording it sorry `bout that, but I want my ECCO FATTO right NOW! It is much better now...no really it is grin

My First

Never get directions from someone who hasn't been there.

Just be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

#2072913 - 04/28/13 04:03 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
ElleC Offline

Ragdoll congrats on your first contribution and not giving up on setting a YouTube account! Btw, I like the angle of where you placed your cam...what cam set up do you use?

#2072921 - 04/28/13 04:18 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
stumbler Offline

Ragdoll I enjoyed your recording.

#2072927 - 04/28/13 04:24 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: ElleC]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Ragdoll congrats on your first contribution and not giving up on setting a YouTube account!

Thanks ElleC, man they want a LOT of info for an acct and still I had problems logging in since yesterday. I was expecting a request for a DNA sample any minute.

I use a ZOOM Q3HD and it's set on a regular (adjustable) photo tripod right behind my right shoulder.

#2072929 - 04/28/13 04:29 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: stumbler]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks stumbler, I'm mad at myself for uploading the wrong file though. It's much too slow, hesitations and several wrong notes. I have a much better video now. And it's still named ZOOM on the one I posted heh heh heh. At least it done now. AHhhhh!

#2072947 - 04/28/13 04:57 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: Ragdoll]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

Well done Ragdoll!!! I just now went to YouTube thinking I could upload an MP3 file. Nope!!! Had to download "Movie Maker" and make some visual presentation to go along with the sound!! Boo hiss!!! I may find myself using BOX only. The easy part is playing the piano!! All these media technologies are what get me! Good for you figuring out YouTube!! And Congratulations on your first PW recordng presentation!!! It's a great feeling, isn't it?

#2072954 - 04/28/13 05:05 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
3000 Post Club Member

Ragdoll, I enjoyed your playing. Thanks for sharing it. I didn't notice any wrong notes or hesitations. Is that a Piano Adventures piece? It sounded familiar. I like PA music a lot.

#2072963 - 04/28/13 05:12 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
1000 Post Club Member

Ragdoll, despite you saying it wasn't polished it was still very enjoyable and the piece had a lovely haunting melody that was maintained nicely. Great job.

#2073009 - 04/28/13 06:18 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Thank you Ragdoll. That was music. Mistake? Yadda Yadda...it don't matter. What's important is you're not banging out parrot copy. You play music.

#2073013 - 04/28/13 06:25 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Earlofmar, I'm kind of late to the party here but just wanted to chime in and add my kudos to a job well done. Enjoyed it greatly. For only 5 months you have fantastic control.

#2073044 - 04/28/13 07:11 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: Peyton]
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Peyton
Earlofmar, I'm kind of late to the party here but just wanted to chime in and add my kudos to a job well done. Enjoyed it greatly. For only 5 months you have fantastic control.

Thank you Peyton, very kind. These have been a great five months, trying to unlock the secrets of music. I look forward to many more years of trip, fall get up and try again.

#2073045 - 04/28/13 07:15 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: wayne33yrs]
UK Paul UK Offline

Loc: Berkshire, England
Originally Posted By: wayne33yrs
I think this is a great idea, and am willing to share my FIRST EVER RECORDING! I don't mind if people ptsl, I was really happy to have achieved playing it lol. There you go, no-one need to be embarassed posting now lol wink

Well done mate :-)

#2073061 - 04/28/13 07:44 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

I liked your recording Ragdoll. I never heard this piece before- what's it called? Nice melody. I'm not on crossing over hands yet- well done!

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2073075 - 04/28/13 08:03 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: dynamobt]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thank you dynamobt, Yep I have a box acct supposedly but am unable to log in there. Same for soundcloud. It's disgusting how they make it so hard to do sometimes. Like an endless Mobius strip returning to the login screen cursing

#2073079 - 04/28/13 08:06 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: PianoStudent88]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Is that a Piano Adventures piece?

It is... it's called Lunar Eclipse. I just got it last week for a lesson assignment. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

#2073080 - 04/28/13 08:08 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: earlofmar]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks for the kind words earlofmar,

I was trying to think of a descriptive word for it. Haunting is perfect. Was a fun piece to learn.

#2073081 - 04/28/13 08:10 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: rnaple]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks Ron,

I'm glad I came to the Ecco Fatto Café to play it grin

#2073084 - 04/28/13 08:14 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: EdwardianPiano]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
I never heard this piece before- what's it called?

It's "Lunar Eclipse" from Fabers Piano Adventures (3A I think). Thanks for the kind words.

#2073092 - 04/28/13 08:21 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: Ragdoll]
stumbler Offline

Regarding box account, I don't know if this helps, but with box I always make the mistake of entering my display name as my box user name. Box doesn't like it, I need to use my email address as username.

If this doesn't work for you, try the "forgot password" link. Box will send an email to the email account you registered under which contains a link to a box password reset.

#2073093 - 04/28/13 08:24 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: stumbler]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
If this doesn't work for you, try the "forgot password" link. Box will send an email to the email account you registered under which contains a link to a box password reset.

ha ha ha that's how I got on the endless Mobius strip yesterday. But thanks anyway.

#2073099 - 04/28/13 08:27 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
Sam Rose Offline
500 Post Club Member

Ragdoll, I enjoyed your recording very much! Congratulations on getting over the "first recording" hump laugh

And to the OP, this thread is wonderful! I never realized how many people were feeling too intimidated to post recordings and just needed a little push...
♪ > $

#2073102 - 04/28/13 08:31 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
stumbler Offline

Regrets.

BTW I wonder how Sisyphus would fare regarding a box account.

#2073103 - 04/28/13 08:31 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: Sam Rose]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Ragdoll, I enjoyed your recording very much! Congratulations on getting over the "first recording" hump laugh

Why thank you Sam, great praise indeed from someone of your caliber. yippie

#2073381 - 04/29/13 09:40 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: Ragdoll]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Ecco Fatto Cafe is off and running! Everyone is doing great!

EdwardianPiano - Really nice improv! The forward motion of the music really kept the interest.

dynamobt - Nice interpretation of Bach invention #4. Both voices were very melodic. I find this one difficult to make musical. Well done!

Amaruk - Your son is quite talented. You have a future star on your hands. He did a great job singing and playing.

Ragdoll - Great first recording! I enjoyed your playing and that is a very beautiful tune.

Edited by SwissMS (04/29/13 10:59 AM)

#2073427 - 04/29/13 11:18 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Lovely piece, Ragdoll. Congratulations on the cross-overs - I stil don't do those laugh Very nicely played.

Cathy

#2073459 - 04/29/13 12:34 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: SwissMS]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Ragdoll - Great first recording! I enjoyed your playing and that is a very beautiful tune.

Thanks SwissMS,

I put another (same song) on my page because I inadvertently posted a "practice recording" that I wasn't too happy with. Wanted a better version up there blush Glad you enjoyed it.

#2073460 - 04/29/13 12:36 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: jotur]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi Cathy, see my response to SwissMS. Thanks for your kind words.

#2073629 - 04/29/13 04:28 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
AimeeO Offline

Ragdoll, well done!! That's a pretty piece, and it flows nice and smooth. You do it justice! Congratulations!
(and I'm so glad you overcame the technology portion, as it can be a real pain.)

#2073679 - 04/29/13 05:59 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: EdwardianPiano]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

blush What earlofmar and Wayne uploaded were really good- enjoyed listening to them. I am an absolute beginner- so this is not very good! I was practising Scarborough Fair as I was thinking of polishing that to record and upload, but this impro came out instead...

Pretty darned good for a newbie feeling squffy! I think it's a great way to learn, to be able to go a bit outside the box and improv on what you are learning.

Edited by Peyton (04/29/13 05:59 PM)

#2073772 - 04/29/13 08:43 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Ragdoll, well done!! That's a pretty piece, and it flows nice and smooth. You do it justice! Congratulations!

Thanks AimeeO,
This is a good place for beginners to post their first.
Quote:
(and I'm so glad you overcame the technology portion, as it can be a real pain.)

To say nothing of the dreaded RedDot grin

#2074330 - 04/30/13 04:06 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: Ragdoll]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Ragdoll
Quote:

It's "Lunar Eclipse" from Fabers Piano Adventures (3A I think). Thanks for the kind words.

Is it a piece written for the piano book? It's nice.

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2074333 - 04/30/13 04:09 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: stumbler]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: stumbler
Regrets.

BTW I wonder how Sisyphus would fare regarding a box account.

I must admit I am perplexed at the Sisyphus reference- checked out this is a Greek myth...but cannot make the links somehow...I am quite tired tonight...

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2074338 - 04/30/13 04:12 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
EdwardianPiano - Really nice improv! The forward motion of the music really kept the interest.

Thank you Swiss MS- I had another pop at it for about 4 mins, so knackered tonight feel like I need to sleep for a century.... Anyhow think a few variations were trying to come on and even a little trilling. Thursday is a no work day so can play piano all afternoon if I want hurrah!

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2074344 - 04/30/13 04:16 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: Peyton]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Peyton

Pretty darned good for a newbie feeling squffy! I think it's a great way to learn, to be able to go a bit outside the box and improv on what you are learning.

Many thanks for your kind words Peyton! I had overdone it on the cajun beans I think. I played Cecil Piano to try to take my mind off my churning tummy. LOL.

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2074389 - 04/30/13 05:08 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: EdwardianPiano]
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:

Is it a piece written for the piano book? It's nice.

Yes, it's by Nancy Faber. (One half of Nancy and Randall Faber, the team who created Piano Adventures.) She wrote a lot of the music in Piano Adventures.

#2074446 - 04/30/13 06:52 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
casinitaly Offline

Edwardian Piano --- you've been misleading us about your ability my dear! That was good fun and a pleasure to listen to. It was a poem of tones indeed!

Amaruk - your son is adorable and talented. I also see he was playing the music by memory and just reading the words! I'm blown away and wish him great success with his musical future.

Wayne33 - Most enjoyable! (loved the background sound effects too!)

Dynamobt--- I could listen to this type of music all day. Delightfully played!

Ragdoll - Great dreamy piece, you captured the magical quality of the eclipse - and loved those cross overs!

This thread is going great guns! I hope those of you who have summoned the courage to post here will now consider joining in the Piano Bar or the ABF recitals..one of which is going to open for submissions tomorrow!!!

smile

#2074478 - 04/30/13 07:47 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
Dulcetta Offline

Loc: U.K.
What a wonderful start to this thread, enjoyed listening to all the recordings very much.
Ragdoll I look forward to the day I reach that level on PA, a lovely piece.

#2074479 - 04/30/13 07:56 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: EdwardianPiano]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Yes, it's in the PA "lesson book 3A". I had hoped it would be in the performance book too, possibly an enhanced version but it isn't there.

#2074483 - 04/30/13 08:05 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: EdwardianPiano]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
I must admit I am perplexed at the Sisyphus reference- checked out this is a Greek myth...but cannot make the links somehow...

Each time he rolled the boulder to the top it rolled back on him. Kinda like when we practice something wrong for a couple days, then discover we've wasted a couple days. Or polish something new and then freeze when trying to record it. grin

#2074484 - 04/30/13 08:09 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: casinitaly]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Ragdoll - Great dreamy piece, you captured the magical quality of the eclipse - and loved those cross overs!

Thanks Cheryl, it's not very hard to learn. wink I still have to polish up the pedaling.

#2074486 - 04/30/13 08:10 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: Dulcetta]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
What a wonderful start to this thread, enjoyed listening to all the recordings very much.
Ragdoll I look forward to the day I reach that level on PA, a lovely piece.

Hi Dulcetta,
I bet you'll get there before you expect to.

#2075151 - 05/01/13 05:00 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Edwardian Piano --- you've been misleading us about your ability my dear! That was good fun and a pleasure to listen to. It was a poem of tones indeed!

Well thank you casinitaly! I had a little noodle again with it earlier- and some more variations evolved. I might show it to my teacher in Friday's lesson.

Edited by EdwardianPiano (05/01/13 05:00 PM)

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2075333 - 05/01/13 11:08 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: Ragdoll]
AimeeO Offline

Quote:

Thanks AimeeO,
This is a good place for beginners to post their first.
Quote:

To say nothing of the dreaded RedDot grin

That Red Dot. The way I tense up for it, you'd think I was playing for the entire world!

I'm so proud of all of our submissions so far! We have quite the pool of talent!

I wonder who'll be next? smile

#2076945 - 05/04/13 12:49 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
rnaple Offline

I thought I would ask first. Partly to patronize the thread. Partly... I have a simple piece of music from Alfred's 1. I liked it. I also went on and changed it. My teacher wanted to hear it how I changed it. She liked what I did. So I thought maybe I would record it and upload it here. Which I'll have to figure out. My Cantabile software that Ivory runs on is a little flaky as far as doing recording. It's a cut down version of Cantabile. Also not sure my computer can do recording on audacity and run ivory at the same time. Geesh... I really don't want to buy a little recorder right now. Would be handy. Any suggestions?
The song I changed is at the top of page 51. Love Somebody. So many people have played it. Easily familiar. Would like to know what people think of my change. Yes it is a simple little piece. Nothing impressive.

#2076958 - 05/04/13 01:21 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
1000 Post Club Member

rnaple, there are several ways:
Obviously you are using a DP therefore does your DP not have a recording function? - for once you have a midi file there are other things you can do.

1.If you can't get a midi file of your piece you could download Pianissimo which is a 14 day trial of a much cheaper version of the Ivory product and record to that (I quite like the sound of this virtual piano)

http://www.acoustica.com/pianissimo/download.htm

2. If you can get a midi file of your piece then you could upload it to Truepianos which will within five minutes send it back to you played on their virtual piano (I think Truepianos sounds is better than Pianissimo but it's subjective)

3. Option 3 is to load another piano plug in to Cantabile - I have 4Front Piano plug in which is acceptable but not as good as aforementioned.

http://www.4front-tech.com/proaudio-download.html

4. There is quite a detailed explanation of virtual instruments you may find helpful.

http://www.pianoclues.com/2008/03/15/how-to-use-virtual-instruments-with-your-digital-piano/

Good luck and look forward to hearing your piece.

#2077036 - 05/04/13 07:51 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
rnaple Offline

I need to get a storage cartridge for my keyboard. Guy I bought it from didn't have it.
I tried recording on Cantabile (Ivory). Always wanted to include the metronome. I don't know why? I deleted four copies after failing to disable the metronome. Then it didn't record anything. Then it said: "This version of Cantabile will only record twice.".... ????? So I'm not counting on much from this Ivory Cantabile for recording. It's goofy.
I'm thinking about loading the DAW that was included with my Audiobox. Run the Ivory on it. That DAW is a cut down basic version also. I hope it might work?

I need a Mac. Spent too many years fooling around with software on PC's. It always almost does what I want.

I should just order a Tascam handheld recorder. I can use it for more. And record the resultant piano sound that I hear from the speakers. I hate to spend more money now. Just bought this midi controller (keyboard). Gee... I'm going to Denver on the 25th to see a play.

#2077189 - 05/04/13 02:46 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
AimeeO Offline

Ron -
I can't help you with the recording of your keyboard.. but I am looking forward to hearing your arrangement!

#2077996 - 05/06/13 12:04 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
rnaple Offline

Thank you for the suggestions, Earlofmar. Also thank you Aimee.
Don't want to muck up this thread talking about my equipment.
I should come up with something soon.

#2078900 - 05/07/13 04:39 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
casinitaly Offline

Just bumping this up! This thread should have front page status for a while longer!

I hope some more folks will be encouraged to post their first recordings soon!

#2078932 - 05/07/13 05:39 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
1000 Post Club Member

Most definitely - please please, if you have never posted your playing before - audio or video - here is the place. We would love to listen, even if you don't think it is very good, let's get it out there.

#2079541 - 05/08/13 10:37 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: casinitaly]
scorpio Offline

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted By: casinitaly
Just bumping this up! This thread should have front page status for a while longer!

I hope some more folks will be encouraged to post their first recordings soon!

I completely agree. I think everyone should feel welcome and comfortable to post their first recording. But I truly wish there were more early beginner postings.

Yamaha P-155

#2079860 - 05/09/13 02:13 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    AimeeO Offline

Thanks for bumping.. been busy finishing up the yard the past few days!

I wish there were some early beginner recordings too. We really don't get to see enough of those.

#2080016 - 05/09/13 08:27 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    dagdvm Offline

Loc: Virginia
    I have just ordered some connecting cables that I think I need to record from my keyboard, then I will try to download, so it may take a while, but the intention is there...

And I am certainly a newbie, struggling through Alfred's #1 book without a teacher and loving it. I have just started on "Scarborough Fair".

Anne (dagdvm)

#2080035 - 05/09/13 09:20 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    1000 Post Club Member

Good luck with the recording dagdvm looking forward to hearing Scarbough Fair once you have sorted your technical problem.

#2081486 - 05/12/13 05:29 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    rnaple Offline

I'll definitely have my piece up by next weekend. My new recorder is sitting in someone's apartment. Maybe in the office. USPS delivered it Saturday. Office closed sat. Someone accepts this stuff. Will get it tomorrow; Monday.

I bought a Tascam DR05 handheld digital recorder. I think it is a smart choice. I think better than the Zooms. And you'll be able to hear just what I hear. (you might not want to...doh!) I got a pretty good setup. Pretty good sound.

#2081492 - 05/12/13 05:45 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    1000 Post Club Member

looking forward to hearing it rnaple

#2081669 - 05/13/13 02:30 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    AnatolyV Offline

This is mine, a recording of Aram Khachaturian's Andantino:

https://soundcloud.com/avorobey/andantino

It's not polished or anything, just a version I recorded today while practicing this piece. It's also played without the pedal (I can't do it well with pedal... yet?). And too slow. And the ornaments at the end are wrong. And so on and so on... But I've been reading these forums for so long and wanted to post something and held myself back for so long. This thread is a wonderful idea.

I'm in my thirties, have been taking lessons for 1.5 years, no musical history prior to that, and this was recorded on a digital Yamaha CLP-440. There's sheet music for this piece here: http://www.balandin.net/Miditeka/Sheets/Khachaturyan.Andantino.pdf. If you don't know it, search for it on Youtube, there're recordings there that do this wonderful piece justice.

Grateful for any opinions and criticism.

(can't believe I finally did this!)

Edited by AnatolyV (05/13/13 05:34 AM)

#2081678 - 05/13/13 02:47 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    jotur Offline
    5000 Post Club Member

AnatolyV - congratulations on your recording. I didn't find it too slow, perhaps because it suited perfectly the time of the day (well, night, it's 1:00 AM) It's quite soothing, and I was just getting ready to turn off the computer and go to sleep, and it was really a quite lovely way to end the day. Thanks for posting.

Cathy

#2081700 - 05/13/13 03:47 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AnatolyV]
    1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: AnatolyV

(can't believe I finally did this!)

Glad you did

AnatolyV that was wonderful to listen too, a beautiful piece and despite being unpolished you pulled it off. There is no point in listening to other youtube versions because you own this piece now.

#2081724 - 05/13/13 05:34 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    casinitaly Offline

Hi AnatolyV --- congratulations on taking the plunge.

As beginners we know that there's always room for improvement - what you've got going for you here is a nice delicacy, a nice feel for the voice of the piece.

I agree with Jotur/Cathy - it is very soothing.
    Maybe you'll be interested in submitting a more polished version to the next ABF recital!

#2081759 - 05/13/13 08:15 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AnatolyV]
    Ragdoll Offline
    500 Post Club Member

Quote:

https://soundcloud.com/avorobey/andantino

It's not polished or anything, just a version I recorded today while practicing this piece. It's also played without the pedal (I can't do it well with pedal... yet?). And too slow. And the ornaments at the end are wrong. And so on and so on...

Congratulations AnatolyV, we all think these things about our pieces, but this is a good thing that you recognize the things that need a polishing up. I thought you did a very nice job with this and you chased away that reluctance to post it publicly. Well done! smile

#2081843 - 05/13/13 11:08 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    dynamobt Offline
    500 Post Club Member

Nicely done AnatolyV!!! What a pretty piece!

#2081857 - 05/13/13 11:38 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    stumbler Offline

AnatolyV - that was nicely played. lovely piece.

#2081906 - 05/13/13 01:12 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    AimeeO Offline

Dagdvm: Excited to hear it! Congrats on Scarborough Fair.. that one gave me fits for whatever reason.

AnatolyV: That's a pretty piece, and a great first offering. I'm really enjoyed listening to it. Like others said, most of us have issues with our final product. I have yet to post anything without a obvious fumble or hesitation grin So I'm jealous that on your first try it sounds like you hit every note correctly and you had a nice, even steady tempo - and with emotion. Great job! Hopefully we will hear you in recitals soon! Why not submit it in the quarterly recital, so those who may not check here can hear it?

#2081920 - 05/13/13 01:42 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    3000 Post Club Member

AnatolyV, thank you for posting your playing of the Andantino. I enjoyed it. I've played this piece myself, and it was like listening to an old friend, and yet hearing more carefully because I could just listen to your recording instead of focusing on also playing it. One thing among many that you do really well is, you have a nice balance between the hands, with the LH playing a subdued gentle accompaniment and the RH melody floating clearly above it. Well done.

#2082819 - 05/14/13 11:52 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    rnaple Offline

Gee Anatoly...that was great for a first. Nice song.

My situation has turned to disaster. Started with computer not recognizing the recorder. Had work done online. Now the Ivory won't work either. Dislike these problems. Weighing choices now.
    At least I can run my midi controller. With the Korg Synthesizer.
    I also learned some from the recording. I was too much dynamic range. Didn't sound good. Toned it down some. Sounding much better. Interesting how it is easier to criticise when listening to the recording.
    I'll get it up someday.

#2083223 - 05/15/13 05:17 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    AnatolyV Offline

Thanks so much for your kind words, everyone!

I've decided to ask my teacher to help me learn this piece with pedal, and generally improve my playing of it. She'd previously said she thought it's played its part and I should move on, but while I'm sure she knows better what I should be studying, I just like this piece too much and really, really want to polish it, even if I have to find extra time to practice on it. Maybe I'll bring it yet to a monthly thread or a quarterly recital...

Thanks again for your wonderful encouragement,
    Anatoly

#2083237 - 05/15/13 05:37 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    TwoSnowflakes Offline
    1000 Post Club Member

Goodness! Everybody is doing such a good job! And what guts. I am impressed. I might have to see if I can muster the courage to post something, even if it's just my scales. I have never recorded myself play anything, let alone for anybody to hear it who isn't in my immediate family, haha!

Great job, everyone!
    With the pedal I love to meddle; When Paderewski comes this way... -Irving Berlin

#2083270 - 05/15/13 06:44 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
    1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: TwoSnowflakes
    Goodness! Everybody is doing such a good job! And what guts. I am impressed. I might have to see if I can muster the courage to post something, even if it's just my scales. I have never recorded myself play anything, let alone for anybody to hear it who isn't in my immediate family, haha!

Great job, everyone!

TwoSnowflakes the purpose of this thread is so you don't have to muster too much courage. It is a safe place for that very first recording even if it is scales (played well I quite enjoy scales......if only I could play them well). So go on give it a crack. I also think it is good to have a recording of yourself (indeed several) to let your future self hear how you have progressed.

#2083279 - 05/15/13 07:17 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    dynamobt Offline
    500 Post Club Member

If scales are what you are praticing, and you are proud of the result, Have At It!!!! The trick for me was to get "something" recorded. The hard part was turning the recoder to ON!!! I was just sort of figuing thngs out as I went, and no one was more surprised I had turned the recorder than I was!!! Since that first time it's gotten easier.

So, just record something. Chords! Scales!! Anything!!! It's an accomplishment when you get it done!!!!

#2083349 - 05/15/13 10:29 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    AimeeO Offline

+1 to what Earolmar and dynamobt said. And you learn soooo much about your playing when you record. I want to hear your scales, TwoSnowflakes smile

#2083792 - 05/16/13 06:30 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    TwoSnowflakes Offline
    1000 Post Club Member

Ha, if the threshold is something I'm proud of, well, then I'm sorry to say nothing is really filling me with pride (errors, errors, ERRORS!), but I can certainly record something to show what I'm working on, and maybe both a) overcome my extreme fright of playing while someone else is listening**, and b) at least share where I'm starting from.

So maybe I'll record the piece I'm working on now, even though there are several errors I haven't really fixed. Or, heck, maybe you guys are going to get some scales. Hee.

**yes, I recognize that recording myself is probably easier since I can do it while nobody is watching, but I just want to stop having such performance anxiety! I swear, if anybody is standing behind me, simply wanting to see what I'm playing, I utterly freeze. Everything tenses up and then I can't play something I could play not five minutes before.
    With the pedal I love to meddle; When Paderewski comes this way... -Irving Berlin

#2083864 - 05/16/13 10:49 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
    AimeeO Offline

Ha, if the threshold is something I'm proud of, well, then I'm sorry to say nothing is really filling me with pride (errors, errors, ERRORS!), but I can certainly record something to show what I'm working on, and maybe both a) overcome my extreme fright of playing while someone else is listening**, and b) at least share where I'm starting from.

So maybe I'll record the piece I'm working on now, even though there are several errors I haven't really fixed. Or, heck, maybe you guys are going to get some scales. Hee.

**yes, I recognize that recording myself is probably easier since I can do it while nobody is watching, but I just want to stop having such performance anxiety! I swear, if anybody is standing behind me, simply wanting to see what I'm playing, I utterly freeze. Everything tenses up and then I can't play something I could play not five minutes before.

I have the same problem. You'd think I was playing at Carnegie Hall or something. My recital piece is a good example - it starts out bumpy, because I'm freaking out anticipating a mistake, and then, towards the end, I screwed up because I hadn't screwed up a certain section that bad and was nervous about finishing cleanly. That was the same for half the takes. Another 1/4th are because I can't remember if I played the repeat, and the remainder are because I'm frustrated and tense.

I also tense up and screw up if I think my neighbors can hear me!

But it really is getting easier. And no one has thrown me off here for it yet smile

Edited by AimeeO (05/16/13 10:50 PM)

#2084120 - 05/17/13 11:24 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    TwoSnowflakes Offline
    1000 Post Club Member

Who wants to hear scales??? Yes, boooring, but I can't tell you how frightened I am just to put this up. Yikes. With age does not come courage, I guess. And I only just started back three weeks ago after a 25 year hiatus.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/89452048/IMG_2076_small.m4v

#2084188 - 05/17/13 01:57 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    3000 Post Club Member

Two Snowflakes, you are waaaaay too hard on yourself. You scales are very well played: even, fast, consistent. Double thirds are hard. (Not to say that the others are easy!)

Thank you for posting. You showed me a picture and soundscape of what to try for. I hope to hear more of your playing in the monthly Cafe, the quarterly Beginners and Beyond Recital, and/or the Themed Recitals (currently soliciting players for Grieg's Lyric Pieces).

#2084197 - 05/17/13 02:22 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: PianoStudent88]
    TwoSnowflakes Offline
    1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: PianoStudent88
    Two Snowflakes, you are waaaaay too hard on yourself. You scales are very well played: even, fast, consistent. Double thirds are hard. (Not to say that the others are easy!)

Thank you for posting. You showed me a picture and soundscape of what to try for. I hope to hear more of your playing in the monthly Cafe, the quarterly Beginners and Beyond Recital, and/or the Themed Recitals (currently soliciting players for Grieg's Lyric Pieces).

Thanks.

You're right, double thirds are SUPER hard! I am happy just to play the thirds and sixths right now. There are a few pieces that I want to play that have some very rapid double thirds in there, so I'm going to build it into my scale routine in the next few weeks.

I've decided that nothing ventured, nothing gained, so here's the piece I'm working on. I've got a lot of work to do, and I have no idea why my wrists are doing such odd things, but the tension I can see in there is enough to stop a car, I think. I think I always played with too much tension, and now it's worse than ever. I can hardly write out a birthday card before my whole hand just claws down, so I'm going to seek out some exercises to really get that out so I can regain smoothness and velocity.

Anyway, enough with the explanation. This is three weeks in, after a 25 year hiatus:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/89452048/Movie%20on%205-17-13%20at%2010.07%20AM.m4v

ETA: Chopin Nocturne Op. 20, No. 2, C minor

Edited by TwoSnowflakes (05/17/13 02:23 PM)

#2084204 - 05/17/13 02:33 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    dynamobt Offline
    500 Post Club Member

TwoSnowflakes, the scales were great!!! Quite the quick tempo too!!

And yes, we do know what courage it takes to post up anything of ourselves playing!! That's why everyone is so encouraging! We are all our own worst critic!

Just this past lesson, I started playing the Chopin Waltz by memory. I got so far and stopped saying, "It's not there". So, my teacher has me get up from the piano. Told me to actually walk out of the studio. When I get out in the other room, my teacher says, "Now leave Judgemental Janice out there so when you come back in you stop criticising yourself"!!! No one is harder on us than we are on ourselves!! Good job getting something recorded. It gets easier to push that buttom! Thank goodness for that!!

#2084341 - 05/17/13 05:54 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
    Sam Rose Offline
    500 Post Club Member

Who wants to hear scales??? Yes, boooring, but I can't tell you how frightened I am just to put this up. Yikes. With age does not come courage, I guess. And I only just started back three weeks ago after a 25 year hiatus.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/89452048/IMG_2076_small.m4v

You're making me want to learn this piece! You are indeed way too hard on yourself. This sounds quite nice!!

Keep it up laugh
    ♪ > $

#2084351 - 05/17/13 06:23 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    stumbler Offline

TwoSnowflakes. Great scales (mine are like oatmeal, a bit lumpy)

#2085233 - 05/19/13 02:00 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    rnaple Offline

Ok.... Here ya go. I won't bore you with all I went through this week to do this. Doh! I'm not real happy with the outcome. I'm tired of spending time getting this done. Just want to spend time on other things.
    This is where I went changing the song at the top of page 51 of Alfred's All In One

Love somebody

#2085375 - 05/19/13 07:01 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    jotur Offline
    5000 Post Club Member

rnaple, that was cool! I love the "chimes", and I loved the way you did the ending delicately. Way to go.

TwoSnowflakes - my computer is going into one of it's infinity loops as I try to load your scales, so I'll have to try later. But congratulations on recording and posting!

Cathy

#2085513 - 05/20/13 01:05 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    1000 Post Club Member

Well done TwoSnowflakes, I am not so hot on the scales and can't even play two octaves, definitely not at that quick a tempo. Thanks for sharing and hoping to hear more.

#2085541 - 05/20/13 02:43 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    casinitaly Offline

TwoSnowflakes - well it is obvious you had a fair amount of practice before you gave up piano - my scales still aren't that fast or that smooth.
    Welcome back to the ivories - can't wait to see what you will be doing in a few months from now!

Ron - sweet! Good precision - looking forward to hearing a longer piece from you next time round!

#2085703 - 05/20/13 11:34 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    jotur Offline
    5000 Post Club Member

TwoSnowflakes - I loved it! I'd forget which pattern I was supposed to be doing somewhere in the middle if I tried that speed laugh And if I hadn't read "double thirds" I wouldn't have known what you were doing at that point - wow! Brava - and well-recorded, to boot.

Cathy

#2085712 - 05/20/13 11:43 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    3000 Post Club Member

TwoSnowflakes, lovely Nocturne. Thank you for posting it. It makes me want to investigate Chopin's Nocturnes, you make it sound beautiful and look easy.

I see what you mean about tension and wierd wrist motion (plus your video was reversed, making everything that much more curious!). Are you taking lessons? Does your teacher have any suggestions? I noticed the comments in PC on your scales and methods for finding relaxation at the piano. Something else you might consider for pieces is working on much easier pieces for a while. This is what I did last year: I felt like I had shot ahead and was playing a lot of music where I was barely hanging on. So I slowed way down and went back to basics. I think I'm now at or equal to where I was a year ago, but playing much better. (Hmmm, does that make sense? I mean, I'm playing similar pieces again now, but much more reliably and musically, and with less hanging on and wondering if I'm going to make a mistake).

#2085713 - 05/20/13 11:44 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    3000 Post Club Member

rnaple thank you for posting. I enjoyed your piece. There was a great sense of mystery and anticipation in your playing. Well done.

#2085802 - 05/20/13 02:42 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: jotur]
    TwoSnowflakes Offline
    1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jotur
    TwoSnowflakes - I loved it! I'd forget which pattern I was supposed to be doing somewhere in the middle if I tried that speed laugh And if I hadn't read "double thirds" I wouldn't have known what you were doing at that point - wow! Brava - and well-recorded, to boot.

Cathy

Those are thirds... Double thirds would be if each hand had a third. 5-3 left hand, 1-3 right hand, start marching up the scale. They're incredibly difficult to do smoothly, and there are some virtuoso level pieces that use them to great effect because only an expert can deliver.

The problem is, obviously, that after the third note of the scale, both hands have run out of fingers, lol! So you have this very weird cross over pattern that you have to do verry smoothly and quickly in both hands if you hope to keep some semblance of legato. Obviously I am NOT there, and while my teacher has assigned double thirds, I am going extremely slowly with them and they are the first thing I don't bother doing if I have a limited amount of time to practice.

I'm still trying to figure out how to record it! That's just my iPhone, propped up on the side of the keyboard. I have a nice digital SLR camera, so maybe I'll figure out how to set it up and get some better audio since obviously this is mostly all about the audio, right?

Originally Posted By: PianoStudent88
    I see what you mean about tension and wierd wrist motion (plus your video was reversed, making everything that much more curious!). Are you taking lessons? Does your teacher have any suggestions? I noticed the comments in PC on your scales and methods for finding relaxation at the piano. Something else you might consider for pieces is working on much easier pieces for a while. This is what I did last year: I felt like I had shot ahead and was playing a lot of music where I was barely hanging on. So I slowed way down and went back to basics. I think I'm now at or equal to where I was a year ago, but playing much better. (Hmmm, does that make sense? I mean, I'm playing similar pieces again now, but much more reliably and musically, and with less hanging on and wondering if I'm going to make a mistake).

No, that makes PERFECT sense. I would rather play the same thing much better. And, in fact, that's exactly what I am trying to do. No more rushing ahead and feel like I'm barely hanging on, which is, frankly, how I spent the entire first 10 years of playing piano and probably why I quit. As soon as things were marginally mastered, it was on to harder things, with the end result that everything was slightly sub par. Had I been a better student, I probably would have not ended up that way. But I was incredibly inefficient when I practiced, and very unfocused, so I was playing catch up all the time.

So, My Piano Journey, Book 2: 25 Years Later. I am taking lessons, yes. I really don't see any other way. She is giving me a lot of guidance, and it's actually better than it was. The scales look better than the piece because I'm really listening to her more with hand position and general attack on the scales and then on the pieces I tend to rely more on old instincts, which are not there anymore, so everything tenses up. It was actually the recording of me that saw that I wasn't really listening to my teacher's corrections that well when it comes to the music making portion, because old habits die hard.

I've only been back three weeks, so I've had only three lessons. I'll keep working on it, and much slower. I need to really concentrate on how my arm moves, and the weight I'm putting into the keys. She's giving me the corrections and the visualization to understand it, I'm just not really translating it into that much tangible change yet though little by little I am getting it.

As for the pieces, well, she chose them. I was reluctant to show her what I had been working on when I quit, though of course it was her first question. I felt it would give a false sense of level placement, frankly. What's the point of telling her that I used to play, say, Mendelssohn's Rondo Capriccioso, when clearly that's not possible right now? So I told her that I used to play, but probably am at a very basic level on certain things, which is true.

I must have really understated it, because she showed up with some books introducing the musical staff and which finger goes on middle C. Ultimately I had to fess up because there are some things about my skill set that could not be described as basic. I explained that I feel like part of me getting better is going back and picking up all the dropped pieces along the way, and some of these things are lying on the ground very far back, honestly, which is why I feel like "basic" would describe some of those things.

As much as it gave me great panic, I reluctantly surrendered the stack of books I used to use, and she picked a few pieces I'd played before (including the Rondo! AHHH!) and listened to me attempt to play them, evaluating what was missing, what was there.

We talked some about my goals, and ultimately she picked the Chopin Nocturne and a Mozart Sonata (the K310, A minor), both of which are not terribly easy pieces, though nobody would mistake them for advanced. I think I'm ok with working on a harder piece for longer than the other way around. I just have to be VERY careful, especially in the Mozart, with not bringing the speed up until I've got fingering and notes locked in and I've changed my finger weight and tension level.

Really, the trouble is, as you can see, recalibrating what to expect yet. On the one hand, I can look at both pieces and see them as essentially straightforward, somewhat easy. After all, when I quit, I was playing much more difficult pieces. And even now, if you put any new piece of music in front of me, I can play it out. Maybe I'll knock a few notes off the bottom of a large rolled chord so I can keep going, or I'll mark one hand in octaves, but I clearly have not forgotten how to read music and my hands go where they need to be.

But then of course the next step is to PLAY the piece, and that's where things kind of slow way down because the years have not been kind to that part of the process. And I'm more mature now, and I know what I want and what I need to change. I know how to practice better, and I've got the focus and motivation to do it. It's just I thought I'd slowed down enough. Those scales do not sound fast to me. But they are too fast for me now. So when something is too fast for now, but my brain is not registering them as fast because they are not objectively fast from a pianist's standpoint, my hands just tense up. My brain is confused. You're doing it slowly, so why are you struggling to stay on the beat? So instant tension.

Anyway, I'm at a tempo in the Mozart that is laughably slow. But I know that if I really drill it there, it gives me the time to concentrate on the hand position, tension and note pressure that I need to change before I can hope to get better. Unfortunately, I can snap to a much faster tempo and not make a mistake, but of course at the expense of the relearning of the positioning, tension, and finger weight. The absence of which I do not immediately notice, so it's a constant fight to make myself stay slow, or I am cheating my progress in the long term.

So, long story short, I'm slowing everything way down, as per some suggestions. I have this urge to go faster simply because these things USED to be easier for me, but I can see that there's a lot of tension and stiffness when I do that, even at these speeds which are slower than I used to do them at. And just knowing that I need to change is not the same as actually doing the changing, so each week is a new insight for me on how I'm going to tackle this process so I can achieve what it is I want to achieve here.

#2086399 - 05/21/13 06:08 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    AimeeO Offline

TwoSnowflakes:
    Your scales were pretty mesmerizing, to be honest! So even, after 25 years off! I wish my scales sounded like that. I'm beginning to wonder why we don't see more scales - they're rather fun to watch.
    Your Chopin sounds great, and while you feel tense, the fact that you could play that piece, let alone record it, 3 weeks in, is very impressive! I have a feeling that once your confidence builds back it won't so tough on you to fix the other areas you want to improve.

Ron:
    I remember that piece.. I like what you did with it, and your dynamics sound fantastic! I like the loud rushing and then quiet - rather seductive, in a sense!

#2087650 - 05/23/13 09:31 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    rnaple Offline

I'd like to thank you all for the kind words. The recording itself; lame. You wouldn't believe how good my piano actually sounds. I think it was the mp3 format of that recorder. Has much higher formats. At least I got through the basic idea of my creativity with that song. That's the important part. After all...this is Ecco Fatto... that describes what I did.

You wouldn't believe all I've been through lately on my computer. I came extremely close to buying a Mac mini today.

#2087677 - 05/23/13 10:35 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: rnaple]
    Ragdoll Offline
    500 Post Club Member

Very nice job Ron. Next time I'd enjoy something a bit longer but this was nicely played and thanks for posting it. Here have a brew on me(_)]. grin Are you glad it's Ecco Fatto?

#2087679 - 05/23/13 10:40 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
    Ragdoll Offline
    500 Post Club Member

Very nice TwoSnowflakes. It made my computer hang up until I installed an update to quicktime. Enjoyed it much, also your scales were well done, much better than I'm able and I practice scales daily. Bravo!

#2091878 - 05/30/13 01:32 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: Ragdoll]
    dagdvm Offline

Well, I committed myself to this a couple of weeks ago and I have been struggling with it ever since. Scarborough Fair has given me fits (as someone else described). I could get my hands doing roughly what I wanted but then to add in the pedalling...impossible! So this is my best effort because I don't really want to spend any more time on this piece.

As you can easily tell I am a complete beginner and have been working through the first Alfred's book on my own (except for the input from these very helpful Forums!) so please be kind...

https://www.box.com/s/t18p2yfo6r8ql7mr6fce

#2091882 - 05/30/13 01:40 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    jotur Offline
    5000 Post Club Member

Wow, dagdvm, that was wonderful. It had such a wistful quality - I could see a young woman standing witn the wind in her long hair, talking with her young man - are you going to Scarborough Fair? And it was cool that the tempo was steady until the ritardando at the end. Very nice.

Cathy

#2091950 - 05/30/13 06:51 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: Ragdoll]
    rnaple Offline

grin Are you glad it's Ecco Fatto?

I sure am. Got it out to get it done.
    I shouldn't be having these problems in the future. I went ahead and got me my Mac mini. Will receive it today or tomorrow.
    I need badly to get back to concentrating on music...not technical problems.

#2092014 - 05/30/13 09:48 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: dagdvm]
    Ragdoll Offline
    500 Post Club Member

Quote:
    Well, I committed myself to this a couple of weeks ago and I have been struggling with it ever since.

Very nice dagdvm. It flowed quite nicely with a good steady rythym. Well done for your first public contribution. yippie

#2092227 - 05/30/13 02:52 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: dagdvm]
    Sam Rose Offline
    500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: dagdvm
    Well, I committed myself to this a couple of weeks ago and I have been struggling with it ever since. Scarborough Fair has given me fits (as someone else described). I could get my hands doing roughly what I wanted but then to add in the pedalling...impossible! So this is my best effort because I don't really want to spend any more time on this piece.

As you can easily tell I am a complete beginner and have been working through the first Alfred's book on my own (except for the input from these very helpful Forums!) so please be kind...

https://www.box.com/s/t18p2yfo6r8ql7mr6fce

Wonderful!! I'm glad you had the courage to put up this first recording. You did a great job, and I enjoyed listening to it.
    ♪ > $

#2092306 - 05/30/13 05:00 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    casinitaly Offline

Dagdvm - one of my all time favourites - your performance is charming - soft, gentle, wistful, Bravo!

#2092512 - 05/30/13 11:07 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: dagdvm]
    AimeeO Offline

Originally Posted By: dagdvm
    Scarborough Fair has given me fits (as someone else described). I could get my hands doing roughly what I wanted but then to add in the pedalling...impossible! So this is my best effort because I don't really want to spend any more time on this piece.

I was the one who Scarborough Fair sent into fits, so I feel your pain!

All of your hard work has paid off. The emotion and care you put into this piece made it sound way more than a hurdle to jump over on your pursuit to get to the next piece in Alfred's. This sounded like meaningful music! Well played.

I think you're done with this piece! I look forward to hearing more out of you!

#2093672 - 06/01/13 10:42 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    AimeeO Offline

Bump!!

Who's next up?

#2094032 - 06/02/13 05:18 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    dagdvm Offline

Thank you to everyone - you are the kindest people in the world! whome

I really appreciate your gentle comments and the opportunity to post here at Ecco Fatto Cafe. I know you have all been through this process yourselves and that makes your comments more valuable to me because you all know the difficulties and mind games we go through on this self-chosen musical journey.

So thank you once again and happy playing!

dagdvm

#2095226 - 06/04/13 12:20 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
    jfmartins Offline

Loc: Brasilia, Brazil
    Hello PianoWorld!

This is not only my first recording, but also my first post.
    I am 30, from Brazil, one 11 month old son and a full time job.

I don't consider myself a beginner in a strict sense of the word, since I have been playing for 15 years. But due to my lack of discipline I am still at a beginner level.

Sorry fot my poor english.

Now I present you my very first recording. It's the 3rd Mov from Mozart K 331, the well known rondo alla turca. It's not perfect, but I really liked it.

https://www.box.com/s/sr8eenpg16nld4o7z3m4

Thanks for listening!

#2095237 - 06/04/13 12:29 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: jfmartins]
    scorpio Offline

Loc: Connecticut, USA
    jfmartins, congratulations on your first post and recording! Very nice, I enjoyed it. thumb

I look forward to more.

Yamaha P-155

#2095242 - 06/04/13 12:37 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: scorpio]
      jfmartins Offline

scorpio, thank you for listening and enjoying!
      You can't imagine how big is the smile in my face right now!

I would also like to thank AimeeO for the creation of the Ecco Fatto Café and earlofmar for the hints on how to use truepianos over the web.

#2095270 - 06/04/13 01:19 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
      jotur Offline
      5000 Post Club Member

jfmartins - that put a smile on my face and set my foot tapping! A really fun piece, and I like the playfullness you put in it. Thanks for posting.

Cathy

#2095278 - 06/04/13 01:36 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
      AimeeO Offline

Welcome, jfmartins!!

Your English is great! Hope you are having a nice winter down there!

WOW! First post and first recording.. Love it! (I want your guts! hehehe) I am a huge fan of rondo alla turca, so I was excited to hear your piece. I was not disappointed! This is piece is quite challenging, and you pulled it off with style and confidence - you owned it! It started off with a bang and never looked back. You kept the jubilant attitude going throughout! Very impressive!
      I can't wait to hear more from you.. smile

#2095294 - 06/04/13 01:47 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
      JimF Offline
      1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
      Originally Posted By: jfmartins
      I don't consider myself a beginner in a strict sense of the word, since I have been playing for 15 years. But due to my lack of discipline I am still at a beginner level.

Well, any lack of discipline sure doesn't show in your Rondo. Very well done!

And welcome to the ABF. I'm sure we will be hearing more of your playing in the PianoBar or Recitals now that you have broken the ice here.

Jim

Estonia L190 #7284

#2095307 - 06/04/13 01:56 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
      3000 Post Club Member

dagdvm and jfmartins, I enjoyed both of your pieces.

Scarborough Fair is a favorite song of mine, and you played it with great assurance and balance, dagdvm.

jfmartins, a very nice rendition of Mozart. Your calling yourself a beginner reminds me that "beginner" is a variable term used with very different meanings by different people. I would call you advanced intermediate at the very least.

I hope to hear more playing from both of you in the Recitals (or the Piano Bar, except I don't usually follow the Piano Bar, so alas, I would miss your playing there).

#2095609 - 06/04/13 09:51 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
      jfmartins Offline

Thanks jotur, AimeeO, JimF and PianoStudent88 for the nice words.
      I hope I can show some progress in the recitals.

#2095701 - 06/04/13 11:36 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
      ElleC Offline

jfmartin that was a very good first post! Very lively piece...I liked it a lot.

#2095950 - 06/05/13 02:23 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
      casinitaly Offline

jfmartin - well done!

Don't worry about not being "strictly a beginner" -that's the beauty (and the confusion )of this forum. Some are true beginners, some have come back after a long break, some are in the middle.

I enjoyed your lively performance and hope to see you become a regular in our recitals!

Congratulations on your first recording / e-performance!

#2101043 - 06/11/13 04:59 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
      AimeeO Offline

Who's next?

#2101055 - 06/11/13 05:10 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
      raikkU Offline

Originally Posted By: AimeeO
      Who's next?

Oh, I didn't notice this thread so I posted it in the piano bar thread. Here, my first "piece"

A thread I made related to this piece and the mordents.

#2101170 - 06/11/13 08:35 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
      3000 Post Club Member

raikkU, what a wonderful rendition. Your ornaments are lovely.

#2101297 - 06/12/13 02:18 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
      floydthebarber71 Offline

Loc: South Africa
      Ah! Just what I was looking for but I just posted to Piano Bar already, looking for the same thing smile In hindsight I should have tried to record a few more times to iron out the numerous rookie errors if this was to be so momentous hehe....oh well.

My progress so far on Chopin Nocturne Op.9/1: https://soundcloud.com/floydthebarber71/my-recording-3

It was recorded so I could get some constructive feedback for me to work on, so if you have any...would be great too wink

Self-taught renegade - Kawai CL-36

#2101356 - 06/12/13 08:06 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
      casinitaly Offline

RaikkU - that was lovely! What a great debut! This is such a cheery energetic piece, it's one of my favourites.

Floydthebarber71, I had a bit of difficulty with the sound - the volume was very low, even with my system turned up high---- but with careful listening I could hear how well you played and that you captured the voice of Chopin. Well done!

#2101394 - 06/12/13 09:52 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: casinitaly]
      floydthebarber71 Offline

Originally Posted By: casinitaly
      Floydthebarber71, I had a bit of difficulty with the sound - the volume was very low, even with my system turned up high---- but with careful listening I could hear how well you played and that you captured the voice of Chopin. Well done!

Wow thanks! Yes sorry about the sound, my recording was horrible and I need to figure out a way of doing it better for next time.

#2101408 - 06/12/13 10:11 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
      3000 Post Club Member

floydthebarber71, I thoroughly enjoyed your Chopin Nocturne.

Since you asked for suggestions, here are a few minor ones:

There are two places where you come in with very very high notes, and descend from there. One is a bit more than half way through; the other is about 3/4 of the way through. To me, these sound startlingly and harshly loud. What would it sound like if you came in softly and gently on those notes? I don't know the score, so Chopin may call for the entrances to be loud -- in which case is there some way to be loud, but still gentle?

It seems to end very abruptly.

These are just minor thoughts on what was entirely a lovely performance.

#2101420 - 06/12/13 10:48 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: earlofmar]
      Palmpirate Offline

Loc: B.C.Canada
      Yeah, I get to be first:

Up until recently I was a mad ultra running nut. I lived for the sport, trained nearly every day and had just competed in my first 100 kilometre & 100 mile events both in 2012.

Unfortunately age has caught up with me and I have stopped running completely, but now I have poured all that normal energy into learning piano. I have been playing for five months and love the instrument and all it's complexities.

wow! Only 5 months! That is awesome!
      But then you ran 100 miles last year!
      Now I understand your signature tag line.
      I really will get up courage and try follow your example and record something.
      Thanks for inspiring!

#2101434 - 06/12/13 11:27 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
      floydthebarber71 Offline

Thanks PianoStudent88! Yeah I explained in Piano Bar and guess I should here a bit too. The recording was using phone and turned out awful. Besides the low volume, there is a point at 0:42 that sounds louder than it did on the piano. I don't know which other part you are referring to? That would be helpful so I can work on it a bit...other than that, I recorded one take to look for feedback (before I practice like crazy hehe), so there are some notes where my fingers slipped and it came out a bit louder, muddy sections (I need advice on pedalling...), but thanks again! I'll only re-record when the entire piece is ready for a recital or something.

#2101444 - 06/12/13 11:51 AM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
      3000 Post Club Member

Hi floydthebarber71, when your sound recording comes up for me the web page doesn't seem to display time markings, so I can't tell you precisely when. Unless I've overlooked them.

I'll try listening with a clock running and see if I can give you a more precise marking.

#2101454 - 06/12/13 12:27 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
      floydthebarber71 Offline

Ah okay...don't worry about it then. I think it's just the higher pitch notes causing issues with the recording. Cheers

#2101694 - 06/12/13 08:13 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
      yester Offline

Okay, here is my very first recording.

I take two very easy pieces, “soldier’s” march and “Melody” from Schumann. First I tried to record “first loss” or “poor Orpheus” – but I failed very hard… never thought that recording my own play would be so stressfully (never tried it before). So I take a step back and took two putative easier pieces… but I got really mad recording them.

I’m not satisfied with the result, too much faults, timing etc... but each new recording try has increased my body tension, so finally I stopped trying to achieve a better result.

It’s ok, now I know I have to work harder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PfondouWuw&feature=youtu.be

Idea for improvement are welcome!

#2101698 - 06/12/13 08:18 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: AimeeO]
      dynamobt Offline
      500 Post Club Member

yester, recording is stressful. That's why it' such a big deal to post up your first recording here!! Very nice playing! An admirable first effort!!! The more you record yourself, the easier it gets.

Congratulations on your first recording!!!

#2101740 - 06/12/13 09:59 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: yester]
      rnaple Offline

Originally Posted By: yester
      Okay, here is my very first recording....
      It’s ok, now I know I have to work harder. ...
      Idea for improvement are welcome!

That was good!
      We all just need more time at the keyboard. That's how it comes. No big deal.
      You're doing great!

#2101772 - 06/12/13 11:36 PM Re: Ecco Fatto Café – post your first recordings here! [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
      Palmpirate Offline

Loc: B.C.Canada
      twosnowflakes

'What's the point of telling her that I used to play, say, Mendelssohn's Rondo Capriccioso, when clearly that's not possible right now'

Ah the rage I released as a teenager with those chords....

but i know exactly what you are doing now. It's been a little more than 25 yrs for me and I'm 6 months back and 'struggling' with mozart's first - east- sonata. How can I possibly make so many mistakes, you'd think I'd never seen a score before.

I am getting up courage to post something but am traveling for the next two weeks so it will be a while before i do.
      Just love hearing everyone participate. It is so wonderful to hear how liberating it is for them.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
      What's Hot!!
      European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
      -------------------
      75,000 Members and Growing!
      -------------------
      HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
      -------------------
      Sharing is Caring!
      About the Buttons
      -------------------
      Forums Rules & Help
      -------------------
      ADVERTISE
      on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
      Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
      Knabe Pianos
      (ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
      Purely Piano Practice Software
      (ad) Piano Guide Lessons
      Piano Guide Lessons
      (ad) HAILUN Pianos
      Hailun Pianos - Click for More
      Sheet Music
      (PW is an affiliate)
      Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
      (125ad) Dampp Chaser
      Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
      (ad) Lindeblad Piano
      Lindeblad Piano Restoration
      Who's Online
      70 registered (AZNpiano, AndyG123, Belen, 18 invisible), 1202 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
      Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
      Forum Stats
      75336 Members
      42 Forums
      155778 Topics
      2287349 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
      New Topics - Multiple Forums
      Emergency help!
      by Parks
      Yesterday at 11:36 PM
      Pain in my lower back, help!!
      by rov
      Yesterday at 10:55 PM
      If there were only 2 choices..
      by ChopinFan66
      Yesterday at 08:04 PM
      symphonic pianomusic
      by dolce sfogato
      Yesterday at 06:16 PM
      First Digital Piano - Casio AP250 or Roland RP301?
      by Jorgeb
      Yesterday at 02:07 PM
      (ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
      | Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
      | Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
      | |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
      No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission