2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 5 invisible), 1,301 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Monica K.
Originally Posted by Strings & Wood

The recital needs to make very clear, it is open to all levels of experience and genre of music, so that everyone feels welcomed to participate. Perhaps, a formal invitation at the beginning of the announcement would help?

confused Here's the text of the first three paragraphs of the Call For Submissions. It seems pretty clear to me, but I'm happy to hear any suggestions for changing the wording to make it clearer:

Recital #27 is now open for submissions!

Believe it or not, our 27th quarterly Piano World Adult Beginners Forum recital approaches! smile The recital will be posted some time on the 15th of August, which means that the submissions must be in by 9:00 pm Eastern Daylight Time, August 14. Please note this deadline is very firm; I cannot start working on the recital until it is closed, and once it is closed, no new entries can be added.

While any and all styles of music are welcome, we do ask that it be piano related. Only one recording may be submitted per forum member (although that recording may consist of a medley of two or more very short related pieces).

If you are fairly new to the piano, please do not be intimidated by some of the talent here in the ABF. We all consider ourselves to be beginners even though we may have been playing for some time. And, we LOVE to hear recordings from folks new to the keyboard. So even if you’re on your first Alfred’s method book, we would *really* enjoy hearing from you.

Well, I think we have covered the "beginner" quite well with the title and content, but I am not sure the more experienced player is feeling the warmth.
I suppose I am troubled by the title more than anything else.

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
I suppose if I am going to complain, I should make a suggestion.

"The Piano World Quarterly Recital"

After all, aren't we the only game in town?

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
The title of the recital uses the title of the forum "Adult Beginner's Forum." So I don't see so much of a problem with that. Perhaps add some language about "pianists of all levels are welcome, whether beginner or advanced. If you're reading this, we want you to participate!"

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P

I think that would make it less inviting to beginners. I like that people who post in the ABF Recital feel some connection to the ABF.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88

I think that would make it less inviting to beginners. I like that people who post in the ABF Recital feel some connection to the ABF.

It already is in the ABF forum. Aren't you just validating the argument that the more experienced players, do not feel welcomed?

Perhaps, it is an impossible task to have a recital, where everyone is comfortable.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
It's like this. Piano World is like an ice cream shop. An ice cream shop attracts people who like ice cream, and Pianoworld attracts people who like pianos.

The ice cream shop has a sign outside that says 'Delicious homemade chocolate ice cream'. The Pianoworld sign says 'Adult Beginner Forum'.

So far everything sounds fine and makes perfect sense,....until you go inside! Once you go inside the ice cream shop that advertises for 'homemade chocolate ice cream', the clerk says "well, we really don't carry chocolate ice cream. We stock mostly vanilla". And once you go inside the Pianoworld 'beginner' forum, you will notice the same thing...that there is really is no chocolate ice cream as most of it is vanilla.

Technically, and factually, the correct title/heading is clearly not being applied.

Nobody is saying to break the group up. Several people have suggested simply addressing the group for what it actually is. That being a group comprised of beginners and intermediates.

NOTE: If you ARE an actual pro [meaning that you derive your income from playing piano or have professional music degrees] the 'compatible' pool to swim in is NOT the kiddie pool! The Pianist Corner is for those folks.

In addition, the true beginners of today will be the more seasoned members of tomorrow. It would be nice to be part of a group in which you can sprout, grow and mature along with everyone else. A supportive group that follows along with your progress and encourages you along the way. A group in which everyone reciprocates these actions.

My suggestion once again is to fix the semantics of the title...[possibly Beginner and Beyond] to not only correctly reflect what we actually/factually are, but to also put this topic to rest hopefully for good.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
[ETA: cross-posted with Mr. Super-Hunky. Mulling over what he has said, but said mulling is not reflected in this post.]
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88

It already is in the ABF forum. Aren't you just validating the argument that the more experienced players, do not feel welcomed?

Perhaps, it is an impossible task to have a recital, where everyone is comfortable.

I was thinking that people who know about the recital and might be interested in performing in it, are connected with the ABF in someone way, and have found a way to feel connected, regardless of their level. (I'll leave aside for a moment the unfortunate response gooddog received early on, but note that even there, we are now seeking to repair that and make her feel welcome). So they've already figured out that the ABF as a whole is not solely for beginners. So then we add language to the ABF Recital to make it explicit that all levels are welcome there too.

Is the idea of calling it the Piano World Quarterly Recital, that we would like people from all the forums to participate, regardless of any community connection they might or might not have with the ABF?

Last edited by PianoStudent88; 04/24/13 05:36 PM. Reason: cross-posted

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mr Super-Hunky
It's like this. Piano World is like an ice cream shop. An ice cream shop attracts people who like ice cream, and Pianoworld attracts people who like pianos.

Some times Ice cream shops attract folk who just like the wafer biscuits or the sprinkles or the chocolate sauce that is poured over the icecream like they have in ice cream vans that do Mr.whippy.

Sometimes ice cream shops attract diebetics that cannot actually eat the ice cream ( so dont buy any) but they still like looking at it for old times sake.

sometimes ice cream shops attract loads of kids with no money that also like looking at all the stuff in there.

Sometimes ice cream shops attract flies and wasps.

sometimes,ice cream shops have a nice looking assistant so attract lots of potential suitors.

There are many ways of looking at things.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J

That would be my guess smile

But you know, Liszt85 (I think that was his user name) was posting in these recitals even after he started entering competitions all over the world. So I really do think a lot of it is a personal response.

I'm one of the middle-of-the-road players, and kind of lower middle-of-the-road at that. I don't feel a need for an "intermediate" forum, tho there seem to be people who do.

I'm not sure we're the only game in town any more - there are recitals over in the pianists corner now - and I suspect some of us would feel as intimidated by entering one of those as some newbies feel intimidated by the quarterly ones here laugh Although, it is also true that those are all classical.

The themed recitals, both here and in the Pianists Corner, do seem to draw on a wide range of players, tho - from beginners to teachers or other pros. They are limited, of course, by the theme, which ours aren't.

I'm much more concerned about the recitals becoming so heavily classical that those of us who don't play classical are a tiny minority. I really try to comment on most of the recordings, but I have a hard time with the classical even if it's a piece I like.

I don't have any solutions. It hadn't really occurred to me that the more advanced players might skip the recitals. I *do* prefer that people who post in the recitals be regular contributors to the ABF, even tho some of the long-time posters don't post as much any more. But there isn't a way to regulate any of the submissions, and I'm not sure I want there to be. I think it's these discussions that kind of really set part of the ABF "tone" or culture and encourage or discourage folks.

So that's my ramblings.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
A

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
A
If the name of the recital is an issue, maybe the words can be shifted around slightly. Maybe it can be the "PW Quarterly Recital, sponsored by ABF" or "ABF's Piano World Recital."

It's almost kind of silly for everyone here to be beginners, honestly. Who would the beginners ask questions from? And "beginners" can be stretched: You can be just "beginning" early intermediate, or intermediate, or early-advanced. You're still beginning something, and it's still hard, and you still want support. Maybe we should be Adult Learners, because I think all of us can agree that we're still learning and figuring things out. This forum is centered around learning how to play, theory, etc. The other forums have other things that they focus on. Pianists Corner, for example, seems to be more centered about lively discussion about works, composers, and classical music happenings. It's a different animal.

Cathy, I tend to play more classical, but I love hearing the offerings that are not classical! I am seriously going to start looking into Einaudi as a result of the recitals. Maybe if more people are encouraged to participate, there will be more variety.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mr Super-Hunky
My suggestion once again is to fix the semantics of the title...[possibly Beginner and Beyond] to not only correctly reflect what we actually/factually are, but to also put this topic to rest hopefully for good.

I like that idea, FWIW. Just insert "and Beyond", add an extra "B" to the initials, and then head out for a celebratory ice cream of the flavor of one's choice. smile

Originally Posted by jotur
I'm much more concerned about the recitals becoming so heavily classical that those of us who don't play classical are a tiny minority.

Really? Is there a trend you are seeing in this direction? Are you just concerned re: suggestions of trying to turn the ABF recitals to be more PW-centric?

As a Johnny-come-lately to ABF, I think the variety in the ABFQR's is fantastic. It is just about my only exposure to jazz and ragtime (for instance), and I really enjoy it. I appreciate jazz so much more now as a result of listening and reading about it here.

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
I still think we should change it to "All Einaudi, All the Time." smokin

Seriously, though, if we have to err in any direction, I'd want to err in the direction of being overly welcoming to newbies.

Originally Posted by Monica K
Seriously, though, if we have to err in any direction, I'd want to err in the direction of being overly welcoming to newbies.

You always have been, Monica! smile

In fact, you were the first to welcome me to Piano World back in 2006, when I first joined. For that, you have always been special to me, and I see you haven't changed. smile

Let's see, who's getting kicked off the quartily recitals? Can't be me, cause I've never participated... can't play well enough.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
[quote=Rostosky]

Mr.whippy.

YES, Mr whippy. Why not?

You see, I'm just a tad passionate about the direction of the recitals. I had something to do with its original concept and would like it to remain as successful as it has always been.

In fact, I'd almost go as far as to say that you are just as passionate about your your RST thread and what you have created as well.

I choose not to participate in your thread even though I think it is a great thread that several others participate in. Conversely, you have chosen not to participate in any previous ABF recitals. Live and let live right?

So why come on a thread and start the name calling? Do you think this is what other members want to happen to them? You see, you put people in a position that they don't want to be in and that is having to defend themselves.

If you think I'm cracking the whip to hard just remember that I'm factually supporting what I am saying. I have personal opinions about you too and if I was still 6 years old I probably would not be able to hold them back. But I'm an adult now and even though I may not act like one at times, I know better than to disrespect others just for my own personal enjoyment.

'Rossy', name calling and personal attacks on others doesn't impress me. A beautiful piano performance submitted to our adult piano group would. The thing is, I'm sure you're are even capable of it as I've seen your creativity before.

My goal is not to make you bleed from your eyes. I don't come to these forums for sport-confrontation. If that is your goal, then you win. I just want to share beautiful melodies with everyone else. This is what I try and do with my music. That's all.

Life is way too short man.

A

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
A
I thought he was talking about ice cream vans that serve Mr. Whippy.
http://www.mrwhippyicecream.co.uk/

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AimeeO
I thought he was talking about ice cream vans that serve Mr. Whippy.
http://www.mrwhippyicecream.co.uk/

That's what I also thought Rossy was referring to, Aimee.

Carl

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Is the idea of calling it the Piano World Quarterly Recital, that we would like people from all the forums to participate, regardless of any community connection they might or might not have with the ABF?

That would be my preference. I am guilty of wanting to hear all that is available. Over the years there have been wonderful surprises from people who were here only briefly, but certainly left an impression. babama comes to mind, but there have been many.

That said, I can certainly understand the desire to keep it in the ABF house.

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Mr. Super-Hunky, I don't think Rossy was insulting anyone - even without being familiar with the "Mr.Whippy" brand, I took it as just an ice-cream service. I think if you re-read it you'll see

Originally Posted by rossy
Some times Ice cream shops attract folk who just like the wafer biscuits or the sprinkles or the chocolate sauce that is poured over the icecream like they have in ice cream vans that do Mr.whippy.

(boldface is mine)

= vans that serve Mr. Whippy

As far as renaming the recital, I think that the Beginner and Beyond is a good name.

I also think you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time (acknowledgements to Mr. Lincoln).

I think the most we should do is modify the name of the forum & recital to include "beyond".

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Cas, I never intended to have a hypothetical analogy of an ice cream store (as mentioned and compared with the ABF) somehow turn into a mobile ice cream truck in the UK. How I'm supposed to know that is beyond me but hey, apparently others do. That's amazing.

It is obvious that many of us are passionate about our viewpoints and I think that is a good thing. I just don't think people should be trampled along the way to finding a resolution.

If for some reason I read into this post incorrectly it certainly was not my intent. Good communication requires a good transmission as well as good reception. If the transmission was totally unclear to me then who knows how I'm going to receive it.

What I can say is I never intended to have my analogy analyzed any further than what it was; that being an analogy.

Anyway, if I'm in any way in the wrong here than I apologize. I certainly never intended to have to apologize for having an analogy restructured and converted into something else but we are obviously at that point. I think last time I had to apologize for deep sea diving boots or something. This is getting a bit nutz!

Passions may be running a little high right now as they usually do with this topic. This is why I would like to be part of the solution as opposed to keep discussing it and getting frustrated over it.

I promised myself I wouldn't repeat my stance on this subject more than two times and that was probably four or five times ago.

I will say that Tallguy has brought up a topic in which he wanted to voice his opinions and he did. I also think he has a valid point with beginner intimidation as he's described.

While I think it is clear that everyone wants the group to stay together, it may be possible for the seasoned members to make it even more accommodating for the newer members. I think everyone does a great job encouraging them but maybe we can do even more.

We could possibly wait until all the beginners fill the top spots in the recitals. This not only gives them first up exposure, it may prevent a first time beginner from feeling intimidated due to following an incredible pro-like performance.

It's about all I can think of but it's still something to offer to make the true beginners feel as welcome as possible.

Last edited by Mr Super-Hunky; 04/25/13 03:02 AM.

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by casinitaly

As far as renaming the recital, I think that the Beginner and Beyond is a good name.

thumb I LOVE this idea !!!

This is a short and concise name with a message. It helps us communicate more effectively that our quarterly recitals welcomes the participation of a diverse range of piano enthusiasts.

I hadn't really planned to get into this conversation with all of the things I'm working on right now. However, those are my thoughts.

YIKES!!! I should be in bed! Good night!

Carl

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission