Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2070050 - 04/24/13 04:00 PM Roland LX-15
BigKens Offline

Loc: Ottawa, Canada
I am currently looking into purchasing a digital piano. I've been playing for many years now on mostly acoustics, but I really like the added features that come with digital pianos (playing with headphones, recording, different tones, no regular tuning, etc...).

I've tested out several different mid/higher-end digital pianos from Yamaha, Kawai and Roland, and I'm pretty confident that I've decided to go with the Roland LX-15. The only other models that I'm curious about would be the Yamaha NU1 and the Yamaha AvantGrand N1.

This will be my first digital piano and I want to make sure that I make the right choice, particularly since the Roland LX-15 is very pricey here in Canada (~$6400).

I've been reading through a number of other threads on these forums about the Roland LX-15. Now that a fair bit of time has passed since those posts, I'd be interested to hear the thoughts and experiences of any LX-15 owners out there.

Thanks!

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2070056 - 04/24/13 04:11 PM Re: Roland LX-15 [Re: BigKens]
pianoxcape Offline

Loc: Cape Cod
You could also try the Kurzweil CUP2... it's in the same category as Roland LX15 and Yamaha NU1, but priced quite a bit lower... just a consideration smile
Teacher, Entrepreneur...Parent

#2070094 - 04/24/13 05:06 PM Re: Roland LX-15 [Re: BigKens]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

@BigKens,

Don't let anyone steer you away from getting the Roland LX-15 as Kurzweil has a "Fatar" action which is not as reliable as the Roland action especially if something were to go wrong or needs fixing. Stick with Roland for dependable service and support.

The PHAIII action in the LX-15 is as good as it gets and you also will have some very nice "Piano Designer" modeling features which have been taken from the Roland V-Piano.

#2070123 - 04/24/13 05:42 PM Re: Roland LX-15 [Re: BigKens]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
If..... Kurzweil upgraded the CUP2 with the renewed Fatar TP40Wood (triple sensor) AND the new Grand Piano from the 'Artis' it would be a more serious contender. I don't think that will be a very difficult job to do ; exchange the keybed for the upgraded version and add the new AP sound engine (no other frilsl required, just good piano sound). If the price can stay reasonable , the CUP2 with it's nice cabinet and powerful amp / speaker system is then more worth a serious try. Just a consideration ;-) (Edit: without these enhancements : no match for the LX-15)

Edited by JFP (04/24/13 05:43 PM)

#2070175 - 04/24/13 07:00 PM Re: Roland LX-15 [Re: BigKens]
MarkF786 Offline

Have you considered the Roland HP-507? I believe it has all the same features as the LX-15, except for the upgraded cabinet, and it sells for about $4000.

#2070243 - 04/24/13 09:57 PM Re: Roland LX-15 [Re: pianoxcape]
BigKens Offline

@pianoxcape

Thanks for the suggestion, but the Roland has more of the features that I'm looking for.

#2070251 - 04/24/13 10:13 PM Re: Roland LX-15 [Re: pv88]
BigKens Offline

@pv88

Thanks for the info about the key action on the Kurzweil.

I did have a chance to play around with the LX-15's "Piano Designer" when I tried it out at a local piano store. It was really neat to be able to customize every detail of the piano's sound, like the hammer noise and how open or closed the lid was. It's one of those things that I'd probably set up initially, rather than messing with it on a regular basis, but it's nice to have options.

#2070260 - 04/24/13 10:19 PM Re: Roland LX-15 [Re: JFP]
BigKens Offline

@JFP

I'll admit I know hardly anything about the CUP2 since I exclusively looked at Roland, Yamaha and Kawai. It sounds like the LX-15 has quite a number of added benefits over the CUP2, although it may be a bit of an unfair comparison given the very different price points smile

#2070268 - 04/24/13 10:30 PM Re: Roland LX-15 [Re: MarkF786]
BigKens Offline

@MarkF786

Thanks for the tip. You are absolutely right that the HP-507 is the more economical choice. After comparing the two a little more closely, I think the premium paid for the LX-15 goes towards the additional speakers, adjustable top lid, upgraded cabinet and having the "top of the line" upright model. Did I miss anything?

That said, the piano I end up getting will be in a focal point of my living room, so I think I'm okay with spending a bit extra.

Edited by BigKens (04/24/13 10:31 PM)

#2070305 - 04/24/13 11:11 PM Re: Roland LX-15 [Re: BigKens]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted By: BigKens
That said, the piano I end up getting will be in a focal point of my living room, so I think I'm okay with spending a bit extra.
It's worth it if you can swing it. I really like the extras of that piano.
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#2070415 - 04/25/13 03:29 AM Re: Roland LX-15 [Re: BigKens]
Marco M Offline

Loc: Europe
@MarkF786

Thanks for the tip. You are absolutely right that the HP-507 is the more economical choice. After comparing the two a little more closely, I think the premium paid for the LX-15 goes towards the additional speakers, adjustable top lid, upgraded cabinet and having the "top of the line" upright model. Did I miss anything?

As far as I am informed there is no other extras, only the speakers and a mechanically to open to lid which can let the sound spread in an alternative way. That´s nothing worth to consider with headphone playing, of course. The 'upgraded cabinet' is then the optical thing you mainly pay the expensive extra price for, and, well, commercials of course try the support selling this unit better by calling it 'top of the line', but this does not mean that the 507 would not be the excactly same 'top of the line' besides the difference in the luxury of the design of the wooden cabinet. So, if the cabinet designs matter to you, then the decicision is easy. If it doesn´t matter, then you seriously should compare if you can actually hear (because of the speakers and lid) a difference in sound projection worth so much extra money.
before playing Drums in adults bluesband on handpicked set; before crashing E-Guitar in kids garage band; raised on home entertainment Organ and Keyboard models Eminent Solina P240, Farfisa Maharani 259R, Technics KN800, and on Mouth Organ, Recorder and Accordion

#2070513 - 04/25/13 09:09 AM Re: Roland LX-15 [Re: BigKens]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
In my opinion, there is an audible difference between the HP507 and the LX15 - it's not just the cabinet appearance. The speakers seemed to be of better quality and are oriented differently. If money was not a huge factor, I'd take the LX15, for sure.

#2070752 - 04/25/13 03:37 PM Re: Roland LX-15 [Re: Marco M]
BigKens Offline

@Marco M

I didn't mean to suggest that having the "flagship" or "top of the line" model was a feature in and of itself. I was just trying to say that Roland probably makes a higher profit margin on this unit because it's the top of the line upright model and they can get away with it. This fact might account for some of the extra cost over the HP-507. I probably could have been more clear smile

In any case, thanks for your comments. I'll take another trip to my local piano store to see if there is an audible difference between the HP-507 and the LX-15. For an extra $2000, there had better be!

#2070755 - 04/25/13 03:45 PM Re: Roland LX-15 [Re: ando]
BigKens Offline

@ando

I'm hoping that I'll be able to hear the noticeable difference between the HP-507 and the LX-15. Either one is within my budget, but I'm going to try them both again in the store just to make sure before spending the extra money.

#2070904 - 04/25/13 07:51 PM Re: Roland LX-15 [Re: BigKens]
personne Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
This will be my first digital piano and I want to make sure that I make the right choice, particularly since the Roland LX-15 is very pricey here in Canada (~$6400).

$6400 for LX-15 seems unrealistically high to me.
Where in Canada are you?
Even without bargaining you should be able to find it $500 cheaper, and I believe if make an offer you can buy even cheaper.

#2071027 - 04/25/13 10:25 PM Re: Roland LX-15 [Re: personne]
BigKens Offline

@personne

I'm in Ottawa. I've checked all around town and in Montreal, as well. It was $6400 for the LX-15, matching bench, delivery, setup and the normal 5 year warranty on parts and labour.

Do you know of anywhere in Toronto it would be available for cheaper? I know it's cheaper in the US, but by the time you factor in delivery and duty it's not any better.

#2071779 - 04/26/13 07:38 PM Re: Roland LX-15 [Re: BigKens]
personne Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
I cannot say right now as prices may vary during the year.

What I noticed in Toronto & GTA - often one price tag is one the piano, but they have other discounted price tag / list.

So I would try to check at first at local stores and try to negotiate the price.

In Toronto & area Robert Lowrey, The Piano Studio in Newmarket and probably Telep have Roland pianos.
Only Robert Lowrey though will tell you the price over the phone.
Few hundreds may not worth the trip to you.

#2071992 - 04/27/13 08:35 AM Re: Roland LX-15 [Re: BigKens]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
BigKens - don't make this decision until you've played a Yamaha NU1 (or N1) or Kawai CS10 (if it is available in Canada). I saw the LX-15 just the other day. There's something, oh I don't know, cheap about it - the cabinet I mean. Just something indefinable but to my eyes inferior to the Yamaha NU1. And a plastic DP action - at that price?! Try the alternatives first...

#2072014 - 04/27/13 09:34 AM Re: Roland LX-15 [Re: EssBrace]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

[quote=EssBraceThere's something, oh I don't know, cheap about it - the cabinet I mean. [/quote] That's a prickly swipe at the OP's choice there EssBrace. The OP posted about other models already and intention to try the NU1.

I think the NU1 is a very good product, but is there inherent advantage of a modified upright action in the same way as the N2 or N3 with grand action and TRS?
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com

#2072146 - 04/27/13 02:00 PM Re: Roland LX-15 [Re: BigKens]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I don't think that was prickly. But whilst he mentioned NU1 (he said he was curious about that and N1) he says he's pretty much decided. Well, has he tried N1/NU1 or not? His original post suggests he hasn't. He's tried "high end" Yamahas but clearly not those. The NU1 and the Avant Grand pianos have different sound engines and actions to high end Clavinovas so they are worth trying before spending $6400 surely? I'm only saying he should try them before deciding. I don't think there's an advantage in the upright action of the NU1 over the Avant Grand series. But the NU1 has newer samples and is a really nice looking little piano. The N1 has a grand piano action in it but maybe isn't such a good looking thing.

#2072775 - 04/28/13 11:55 AM Re: Roland LX-15 [Re: personne]
BigKens Offline

@personne

I checked with Roland dealers around Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto. While prices vary slightly, the biggest difference is the delivery cost. I'll try to negotiate with the store here and get the best price possible.

#2072781 - 04/28/13 12:07 PM Re: Roland LX-15 [Re: EssBrace]
BigKens Offline

@EssBrace

After further consideration, I decided that I'm just not a big fan of the styling of the Yamaha AvantGrand N1. I think it's mostly due to the lower portion of the back that is completely open except for the supports that attach to the pedals. The aesthetics of the N2 and N3 are better, but both of those are beyond my budget at this point.

I have to say I disagree that the LX-15 looks cheap. In fact, I think it looks very nice, though as with most pianos, I'm sure it's a fingerprint magnet.

Edited by BigKens (04/28/13 12:08 PM)

#2072787 - 04/28/13 12:31 PM Re: Roland LX-15 [Re: PianoWorksATL]
BigKens Offline

@PianoWorksATL

Unfortunately I couldn't find a place to try the NU1 nearby. From what I understand from other posts on this forum, it's still an upright action, much like the LX-15?

The LX-15 also has 6 speakers to the NU1's 2 speakers, so there may be an advantage in sound quality for people like me who will be using headphones only occasionally.

Edited by BigKens (04/28/13 01:28 PM)

#2072825 - 04/28/13 01:31 PM Re: Roland LX-15 [Re: EssBrace]
BigKens Offline

@EssBrace

No offence taken smile Choosing a piano is inherently subjective and based on personal preferences.

I find it a bit curious that you like the looks of the NU1 but not the LX-15? They look quite similar, in my opinion, and I like the looks of both quite a bit.

Although the grand key action would be nice, I am no longer considering the AvantGrand N1 due to looks and the additional cost.

#2072852 - 04/28/13 02:43 PM Re: Roland LX-15 [Re: BigKens]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I don't object to the look of the Roland at all, it's very nice - but when I studied one at close quarters it just looked a little bit flimsy. It gave me the impression of being more about look than substance.

#2072853 - 04/28/13 02:43 PM Re: Roland LX-15 [Re: BigKens]
enzo.sandrolini Online   content

Loc: Europe - France
From what I understand from other posts on this forum, it's still an upright action, much like the LX-15?

Absolutly not, the action are really different
I have owned a Roland with PHA3 action (same as in LX-15) and now I have a NU1
The Roland action is really good, but the NU1 action is a real piano action, the are not comparable.
By the way, you may like the Roland action,and even prefer it other the NU1, it only a matter of taste
I would say that it is really "harder" to play on the NU1 which requires same skills and technics than for a real upright piano
If you prefer "easier" and lighter action, then the Roland is your choice.

The LX-15 also has 6 speakers to the NU1's 2 speakers, so there may be an advantage in sound quality for people like me who will be using headphones only occasionally.
◊

That is probably right, but I can say that the sound system of the NU1 is pretty good (LX-15 is proably even better, but I have not tested it)

#2072876 - 04/28/13 03:01 PM Re: Roland LX-15 [Re: BigKens]
spanishbuddha Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
The NU1 has four speakers. Two woofers, two tweeters. Just saying.

#2073002 - 04/28/13 06:09 PM Re: Roland LX-15 [Re: enzo.sandrolini]
BigKens Offline

@enzo.sandrolini

That's good to know - thanks!

#2073004 - 04/28/13 06:13 PM Re: Roland LX-15 [Re: spanishbuddha]
BigKens Offline

@spanishbuddha

Oops - must have misread the specifications sheet. Thanks for the correction!

#2073211 - 04/28/13 11:28 PM Re: Roland LX-15 [Re: BigKens]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Both are essentially higher quality but niche products, so personal fit is key to your evaluation. I could provide a list of pros/cons but its better to match your wants than to compare.

How do you feel about the primary piano sound?
They styles seem similar...is there an important detail we are missing?
Are more sounds a bonus or central to your use? (NU1 has just 5 tones)

The NU1 is low-service but not no-service. For daily use, re-regulation would be after 1 year and then every 2-4 years based on other Yamaha uprights. It certainly works without regulation, but you lose the realistic response and connection to the sample, giving funny results. I've seen it on their Silent pianos.

Actually, a product you might want to consider is a Yamaha B1 Silent.
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Baroque Pitch - The Well-Tempered Clavier
by Badinage
09/16/14 02:25 AM
Need Leutke Leipzig info
by Gardenergirl
09/16/14 12:26 AM
Best digital approximation
by TEHunter1
09/15/14 11:49 PM
Wow, check out this baby!
by Paul678
09/15/14 09:31 PM
Baby Grand new Hammer Knuckles.
by OscarL
09/15/14 08:30 PM
Who's Online
84 registered (AEMontoya, aesop, 3mb3r4, 18 invisible), 770 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76209 Members
42 Forums
157554 Topics
2314202 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission