Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2070266 - 04/24/13 10:27 PM Same song played twice at recital?
Gisele Offline

Loc: Schenectady, Saratoga Counties...
Oh no....Upon review of my students' recital pieces tonight, I realized that 2 of my students chose the same piece. And unfortunately, both have had their lessons this week already and do not have a backup piece.
Has anyone ever had 2 students play the same piece at a recital?

Gisele

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#2070292 - 04/24/13 10:58 PM Re: Same song played twice at recital? [Re: Gisele]
malkin Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
It happened one year when my daughter played violin. The teacher asked each of the kids if it would bother them, and neither of them had a problem with it. They were not back to back in the program.

No big deal.

#2070293 - 04/24/13 10:58 PM Re: Same song played twice at recital? [Re: Gisele]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Gisele
Oh no....Upon review of my students' recital pieces tonight, I realized that 2 of my students chose the same piece. And unfortunately, both have had their lessons this week already and do not have a backup piece.
Has anyone ever had 2 students play the same piece at a recital?

Gisele

The only problem with this is that the audience will compare the renditions, and the student who doesn't play as well will feel embarrassed and jealous.

Polyphonist

#2070301 - 04/24/13 11:04 PM Re: Same song played twice at recital? [Re: Gisele]
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
That's a worst case scenario, not a necessary outcome. To me, it's more worrisome if the students are a bit more advanced than if they are really young.

Are the students friends?
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#2070303 - 04/24/13 11:08 PM Re: Same song played twice at recital? [Re: Piano*Dad]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Piano*Dad
That's a worst case scenario...

...which is the one that should always be assumed.

Polyphonist

#2070310 - 04/24/13 11:14 PM Re: Same song played twice at recital? [Re: Piano*Dad]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: northern California
That's a worst case scenario, not a necessary outcome. To me, it's more worrisome if the students are a bit more advanced than if they are really young.

Are the students friends?

I have 2 students playing the same piece (very newbie beginner students) this week in a recital and I'm not concerned, it will be fine. However, I have 2 other students who are also playing the same piece and they are friends and a bit competitive. In that situation, I put them in separate recitals.

#2070353 - 04/25/13 12:05 AM Re: Same song played twice at recital? [Re: Gisele]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
I'm sure those students could flip a coin and the loser could play another selection. Certainly they must each have another finished piece after a year of study. I think it's a bad idea to have two students playing the same composition.(Unless they are young kids playing dorky 8-bar rote pieces that they both play well.)

#2070402 - 04/25/13 02:29 AM Re: Same song played twice at recital? [Re: Peter K. Mose]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

And unfortunately, both have had their lessons this week already and do not have a backup piece.

Originally Posted By: Peter K. Mose
I'm sure those students could flip a coin and the loser could play another selection.

Ahem...

Polyphonist

#2070405 - 04/25/13 02:51 AM Re: Same song played twice at recital? [Re: Polyphonist]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: Polyphonist

Not really... Unless one loves negative outcomes! grin (not aimed at you, just in case... a light joke)...

It's happened to many teachers I know here in Greece and it's not a huge deal really. I mean especially during Xmas, everyone goes for the well know works, so it's bound to happen. No biggie.

just let them know, or have a 'practice session' with them, in order for them to really understand they have the same piece and to get used to the idea. And of course don't have them back to back...

#2070433 - 04/25/13 05:01 AM Re: Same song played twice at recital? [Re: malkin]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: malkin
It happened one year when my daughter played violin.

This happens quite frequently in Suzuki studios, since the repertoire is severely limited.

#2070480 - 04/25/13 08:10 AM Re: Same song played twice at recital? [Re: Polyphonist]
Piano*Dad Offline

Loc: Williamsburg, VA

I presume you never drive a car ... wink
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#2070497 - 04/25/13 08:42 AM Re: Same song played twice at recital? [Re: Piano*Dad]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I presume you never drive a car ... wink

ha

Polyphonist

#2070506 - 04/25/13 08:52 AM Re: Same song played twice at recital? [Re: Polyphonist]
Marit Offline

Loc: the Netherlands
I once played the same piece as someone else in a recital. I was co-hosting, and of course I ended up having to announce the guy who was playing the same piece... I jokingly told the audience that I'd hand out pieces of paper, and they could compare, and by the end of the evening we'd pick a winner.

...And had a huge black-out which lasted the majority of the piece.

#2070518 - 04/25/13 09:22 AM Re: Same song played twice at recital? [Re: Gisele]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
There's always a back-up piece to play, even if a teacher thinks otherwise.

#2070525 - 04/25/13 09:40 AM Re: Same song played twice at recital? [Re: Gisele]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
It's not a big deal. Separate them in the program.

One of my mentors studied with Carl Friedburg in New York. One one occasion he heard a Bach Toccata being played in the practice room by another student of Mr. Friedburg's. The two of them played for each other. When my mentor went to his next lesson, he said, "Mr. Friedburg, Susan is also playing this piece and she plays it quite differently!" Mr. Friedburg's reply: "I know! Isnt' that wonderful?"

#2070530 - 04/25/13 09:58 AM Re: Same song played twice at recital? [Re: Gisele]
Morodiene Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
If it can be avoided and another student has something else they can do, I would ask them what they'd like to do. Let the students decide what they're OK with. Be sure to have them play a different parts of the recital so as to avoid too much comparison.

Or if they both have another piece they could do, have them both do that and one can play the RH for the piece in common while the other plays the LH as a duet!
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2070580 - 04/25/13 11:18 AM Re: Same song played twice at recital? [Re: Gisele]
chasingrainbows Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NJ
During the holidays, it's difficult to avoid, especially since I often have beginning students on the same level. However, at my upcoming recital, two students will be playing the same piece (although they will also play another additional, different piece as well). The reason -- they love the piece, and play it very well. If one student was not playing the piece as well as the other, I would substitute. I think it's important for me to plan my recital program at least a month in advance to avoid repetitive pieces at my recitals.

#2070587 - 04/25/13 11:32 AM Re: Same song played twice at recital? [Re: Minniemay]
Overexposed Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Minniemay
It's not a big deal. Separate them in the program.

One of my mentors studied with Carl Friedburg in New York. One one occasion he heard a Bach Toccata being played in the practice room by another student of Mr. Friedburg's. The two of them played for each other. When my mentor went to his next lesson, he said, "Mr. Friedburg, Susan is also playing this piece and she plays it quite differently!" Mr. Friedburg's reply: "I know! Isnt' that wonderful?"

#2070588 - 04/25/13 11:35 AM Re: Same song played twice at recital? [Re: Gisele]
MrsLois Offline

Loc: Manitoba, Canada
I wouldn't worry about it. Last year, in my recital of 46 kids, I had 7 kids play the same piece. It's not a big deal.

If that's what will get them up there playing confidently in front of people, who cares?

#2070643 - 04/25/13 12:40 PM Re: Same song played twice at recital? [Re: Gisele]
Overexposed Offline
2000 Post Club Member

My last recital I, too, accidentally scheduled 2 kids to play the same piece. I realized it a couple of weeks prior to the recital. The 6 year old wanted to keep the piece. I then let the 8 year old know that a 6 year old would be playing the same piece, and he gladly picked a different one. smile

#2070673 - 04/25/13 01:29 PM Re: Same song played twice at recital? [Re: Gisele]
Bluoh Offline

Loc: Canada
Personally, I think it's fine, if the students are fine with it. It's not ideal, but you can space them farther apart if neither of them can switch pieces. After all, they've worked hard and it's not exactly fair to ask either of them to switch on (short?) notice. smile

#2070689 - 04/25/13 01:53 PM Re: Same song played twice at recital? [Re: Gisele]
Gisele Offline

Loc: Schenectady, Saratoga Counties...
Thankfully, these 2 kids don't know each other. I was thinking of asking one to replace that song, but she has worked so hard on it (as has the other student). As suggested, I will have to place them as far apart as possible. Lesson learned: when list of recital pieces is long, put them in excel format weeks before the date and sort them by title.....

#2070691 - 04/25/13 01:57 PM Re: Same song played twice at recital? [Re: Gisele]
Bluoh Offline

Loc: Canada
Thankfully, these 2 kids don't know each other.

That's good. You'd hate to create rivalry in the studio. Live, learn, and let live. wink

#2070718 - 04/25/13 02:47 PM Re: Same song played twice at recital? [Re: MrsLois]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: northern California
Originally Posted By: MrsLois
I wouldn't worry about it. Last year, in my recital of 46 kids, I had 7 kids play the same piece. It's not a big deal.

If that's what will get them up there playing confidently in front of people, who cares?

thumb

#2070782 - 04/25/13 04:23 PM Re: Same song played twice at recital? [Re: Gisele]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
I don't like assigning the same pieces to different students, unless they are still in method books. Once the student is out of method books, I make a point to teach different materials to different students. Several reasons:

1) The music won't stagnate.

2) I get to cater the repertoire to the student's individual taste and needs.

3) I get to expand my own repertoire.

4) Students get exposed to as many different pieces as possible, from what they play, to what they hear at recitals.

5) Students won't end up comparing themselves.

When you send as many students to competitions and festivals as I do, you will run into repeated repertoire all the time. Bach Festival is notorious for having seven kids in a row play Invention No. 8. So, within the confines of my own studio, I avoid repeated repertoire at all cost.

#2071023 - 04/25/13 10:19 PM Re: Same song played twice at recital? [Re: Gisele]
kck Offline

Oh this happens at my kid's recitals on a fairly regular basis. Especially with beginner kids. They just break up the kids. One plays towards the beginning and one towards the end. It's never a big deal.

Edited by kck (04/25/13 10:20 PM)

#2071028 - 04/25/13 10:26 PM Re: Same song played twice at recital? [Re: kck]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: kck
Oh this happens at my kid's recitals on a fairly regular basis. Especially with beginner kids. They just break up the kids. One plays towards the beginning and one towards the end. It's never a big deal.

This method seems to be advocated by many on this thread, but it is a problem if you are trying to arrange the participants in order of increasing proficiency, ie the beginners first, and the advanced students (if there are any) at the end (which is the way many teachers do it). Thus, to put a student playing a Bach invention between two Liszt Transcendentals is not really what you're looking for in this case, but that's what would happen if you tried to put them at the opposite end of the recital from the other student playing it. I think it's much better just to avoid assigning the same piece to both students.

Polyphonist

#2071057 - 04/25/13 10:54 PM Re: Same song played twice at recital? [Re: Gisele]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I never put students in order of proficiency, so it's not a problem for me.

#2071061 - 04/25/13 10:55 PM Re: Same song played twice at recital? [Re: Minniemay]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Minniemay
I never put students in order of proficiency, so it's not a problem for me.

How do you order them? Alphabetically? grin

Polyphonist

#2071062 - 04/25/13 10:56 PM Re: Same song played twice at recital? [Re: Gisele]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I group pieces around a theme or vary them by mood or historical interest. There are many ways to do it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Digital piano key noise
by bigsmile
09/21/14 03:15 AM
Hans von Bulow's piano
by phantomFive
09/21/14 01:57 AM
Rubinstein teaching style
by phantomFive
09/21/14 01:52 AM
Question regarding "technique"
by Francisco Scalco
09/21/14 12:29 AM
How about this Knabe Studio Piano?
by Paul678
09/20/14 11:49 PM
Who's Online
64 registered (Alex75001, bennevis, aesop, 20 invisible), 989 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76260 Members
42 Forums
157662 Topics
2315786 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission