Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2071139 - 04/26/13 12:39 AM Re: Almost 500 Pianos (Let's try this again) [Re: RestorerPhil]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sandy Eggo, California
Originally Posted By: RestorerPhil
Well I guess we two Mother Hens (myself and Olek) can now rest a little easier:

Wow. Salaried, AND benefits, and they actually don't want you having access at all hours!
What's that I smell?
It's the GRAVY TRAIN.
Well, maybe that's an exaggeration, but some of us are gittin' a bit jealous!

Having the willing advice and record sharing from the former technician is really a boon! Who knows? Beyond that, he may be able to help you train your Humble And Lowly Indentured Assistant, brow beaten and bent over as he may become, to also become a good technician. Give the retiree some time to get bored. You can simply mention the idea lightly in passing for now. Considering the pace at which he has probably worked, he may be planning on keeping some private customers. If so, he could probably use a few hours help here and there from your HALIA [pronounced hah_lee_'ah] to get his own action work done. Ergo: Retiree helps you train him and benefits his own retirement period work as well.

NOTE TO ALL: Feeble attempts at humor may be found in this post.

Some words defined per Olek's own previous confession:
Olekization: Humble And Lowly Indentured Assistant, brow beaten and bent over as he may become. The process of HALIA modification.
Olekizombee or Olekizoid: : one who has become the above; synonym for the HALIA

There's one other mother hen who precedes both of you: Rontuner. He's the mother of all hens in my world...

Not only salaried and benefits, but CALPIRS, no less.
I think volume alone keeps it from being a gravy train, but I appreciate the sentiment. wink
I'll let you know if the jealousy is justified...
The retiree does have his own business, and his website is still up, so I think he's still a going concern. I'm not going to identify him publicly without his permission.
HALIA. I'm going to tell him that one. laugh He'll have to start hanging out here before he'd get Olekization, Olekizombee, or Olekizoid...

(ad 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
Win a year subscription to the PTG Journal
#2072386 - 04/27/13 07:50 PM Re: Almost 500 Pianos (Let's try this again) [Re: OperaTenor]
peggylee Offline

Congratulations!!!

#2072491 - 04/27/13 10:47 PM Re: Almost 500 Pianos (Let's try this again) [Re: OperaTenor]
RonTuner Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicagoland
I've found institutional work to be so inspirational for research projects! I've focused a lot on temperaments and electronic tuning devices, but being able to follow up on the same instruments allows for a lot of data-gathering if a tech is interested - tuning stability, different order of tuning, hammer technique, efficiency, repair techniques -

It helps to be able to thrive in chaos...

Most of the long-time college and university techs put limits on the number of tunings per day - not only is it good to do cleaning, voicing and action work, but it keeps a tech from burning out. It's a marathon, not a sprint!

Congrats again

Ron Koval

my piano videos:
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=drwoodwind

#2072518 - 04/27/13 11:34 PM Re: Almost 500 Pianos (Let's try this again) [Re: RonTuner]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: RonTuner
I've found institutional work to be so inspirational for research projects! I've focused a lot on temperaments and electronic tuning devices, but being able to follow up on the same instruments allows for a lot of data-gathering if a tech is interested - tuning stability, different order of tuning, hammer technique, efficiency, repair techniques -

It helps to be able to thrive in chaos...

Most of the long-time college and university techs put limits on the number of tunings per day - not only is it good to do cleaning, voicing and action work, but it keeps a tech from burning out. It's a marathon, not a sprint!

Congrats again

Ron Koval

Thank you again!

Yes, I was thinking along those lines, too, once I get the routine worked out. An enormous field of test subjects... :evil:

I have a feeling there won't be many instances where I tune more than 2 or 3 pianos at one site - *if* there are more than 1 to tune, so I imagine the number of tunings I do in a day will be self-limiting due to logistics.

#2073839 - 04/29/13 11:23 PM Re: Almost 500 Pianos (Let's try this again) [Re: OperaTenor]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

The first day went as well as a first day could go.

I spent a couple of hours this morning being indoctrinated, then I had a little time to get acquainted with my shop:

It turns out the shop was moved right about the time my predecessor retired. Everything was just kind of slammed in here, and nothing is organized. I also have six studio uprights keeping me company. AFAICT, they are homeless, except for one, possibly.

There is one rollaway cabinet of drawers and one parts bin-type (in the far corner in the photo) that have mostly piano supplies (and some autoharp - it seems that's another instrument I'll be caring for), and then that back wall of shelves. Also, a couple of rolling cabinets. All containing a hodgepodge jumble of parts in no particular order.

Most of the parts are from APSCO. How long ago did Schaff buy them out???

After exploring my shop, I went to a site and tuned my first two pianos for the district. It turns out that if I average two pianos a day, my superiors will be thrilled. They'll probably go into shock if I average more than that.

As it is, there are ten pianos that need immediate attention, and another 46 with work requests pending. I'll be gainfully employed...

Currently, there is no regulating or workbench in the shop, but I was told they would get me one if it turns out I need it.

I was told that if I average two pianos a day, they'll be thrilled. If my day tomorrow goes as planned, I'll finish five.

Edited by OperaTenor (04/29/13 11:24 PM)

#2073908 - 04/30/13 02:57 AM Re: Almost 500 Pianos (Let's try this again) [Re: OperaTenor]
phacke Offline

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014

Loc: CO, USA
That door will be much better with a coat of paint.
Congrats, and best wishes.

Steinway YM (1933)
...Working on:
J. S. Bach, Sonata No. 1 in B minor (BWV 1014) duet with violin

#2073909 - 04/30/13 02:58 AM Re: Almost 500 Pianos (Let's try this again) [Re: OperaTenor]
Olek Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
At last you have a place !

The chair does not look too comfortable, so you are not tempted to sit in too long wink

If I only could repair 2 pianos a day ... !

Thanks for the pics, seem like an empty field, more or less.

Good luck

#2074054 - 04/30/13 09:55 AM Re: Almost 500 Pianos (Let's try this again) [Re: OperaTenor]
Minnesota Marty Online   content

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Cool! - It's a blank slate!

Does the artist bench need to have the action regulated?

Have you opened the instrument cases on the shelves?

In addition to door paint, I would suggest a new sign: Piano Enhancement Salon

Have fun,

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2074237 - 04/30/13 02:17 PM Re: Almost 500 Pianos (Let's try this again) [Re: OperaTenor]
RestorerPhil Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: OperaTenor
After exploring my shop, I went to a site and tuned my first two pianos for the district. It turns out that if I average two pianos a day, my superiors will be thrilled. They'll probably go into shock if I average more than that.

I said it first:

It's the GRAVY TRAIN ! CHOOGAH, CHOOGAH, CHOO.

What is your Humble And Lowly Indentured Assistant to do!? Will he be sequestered?
Rebuilding & Restoration

#2074319 - 04/30/13 03:47 PM Re: Almost 500 Pianos (Let's try this again) [Re: OperaTenor]
Olek Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Ask a hamak ! I have another way, ask them to do the job correctly (money, tools, subcontractors) .

When they will decline you can tune 2 pianos a day and have your conscience for you.

#2074560 - 04/30/13 10:39 PM Re: Almost 500 Pianos (Let's try this again) [Re: RestorerPhil]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: RestorerPhil

I said it first:

It's the GRAVY TRAIN ! CHOOGAH, CHOOGAH, CHOO.

What is your Humble And Lowly Indentured Assistant to do!? Will he be sequestered?

Phil, you are *so* cracking me up!

My average will indeed be higher than that. I tuned four at one site this morning. The HALIA - should it come to that - will have gainful employment.

My goal is to clear all 56 work requests by the end of the school year - 6-1/2 weeks.

Edited by OperaTenor (04/30/13 10:39 PM)

#2074562 - 04/30/13 10:40 PM Re: Almost 500 Pianos (Let's try this again) [Re: Minnesota Marty]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
Cool! - It's a blank slate!

Does the artist bench need to have the action regulated?

Have you opened the instrument cases on the shelves?

In addition to door paint, I would suggest a new sign: Piano Enhancement Salon

Have fun,

The instrument cases on the shelves are autoharps. There are rebuilding supplies for those in the parts store, too.

#2074731 - 05/01/13 04:37 AM Re: Almost 500 Pianos (Let's try this again) [Re: OperaTenor]
Olek Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Did you buy an ETD ? (serious questionľ

Good day.

I do not undertand how you will make 56 repairs in so little time, knowing pino schools well, a structure with only one tech cannot have the pianos in condition to be "repaired" in a few hours each.
You will begin to glue mortises, change th centers, reshape hammers...

Goo luck . Do you have a vacuum , BTW .. Anyway you will certainly learn a lot of things on those school jobs. How to make a piano playeable in very little time for instance, tunings that hold to the max , etc

#2074782 - 05/01/13 07:05 AM Re: Almost 500 Pianos (Let's try this again) [Re: OperaTenor]
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Of course you will need a work bench for regulating and repairs. Unless there are more tools than pictured, I hope there is a tool budget......a rather large one. I don't see a belt sander, drill press, vacuum, air compressor, something to clean dust out of the air, computer, height adjustable stool, mechanics crawler, piano dolly, piano tipper, hoist for plate pulling....the list goes on and on. This is a cool opportunity, but you are starting from scratch in a new space. I hope that salary is based on 80 hours per week, at least initially!

#2074978 - 05/01/13 11:52 AM Re: Almost 500 Pianos (Let's try this again) [Re: OperaTenor]
Minnesota Marty Online   content

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
The instrument cases on the shelves are autoharps.

I was worried about trumpets and saxophones! At least autoharps don't have pads and valves. grin

They don't pay you enough, even on the gravy train, to go there!

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2075009 - 05/01/13 12:54 PM Re: Almost 500 Pianos (Let's try this again) [Re: Bob]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Originally Posted By: Bob
Of course you will need a work bench for regulating and repairs. Unless there are more tools than pictured, I hope there is a tool budget......a rather large one. I don't see a belt sander, drill press, vacuum, air compressor, something to clean dust out of the air, computer, height adjustable stool, mechanics crawler, piano dolly, piano tipper, hoist for plate pulling....the list goes on and on. This is a cool opportunity, but you are starting from scratch in a new space. I hope that salary is based on 80 hours per week, at least initially!

This is a tuning and minor repair position, not rebuilding. All those tools would be padding the budget, which is not fair to the children nor the taxpayers.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
84 registered (angelsong, bkw58, bennevis, 36251, branchpoint, 24 invisible), 1297 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153538 Topics
2250133 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
2014 Bradshaw and Buono Piano Competition
by hsheck
Today at 01:21 AM
What is the strangest thing you have found inside a piano?
by That Tooner
Yesterday at 11:18 PM
Kawai vs Ritmuller
by cromax
Yesterday at 11:08 PM
Considering going into debt for a Steinway grand
by joonsang
Yesterday at 10:38 PM
Best Glue for Damper Pads
by JMichaelWilson
Yesterday at 10:07 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission