Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#2070233 - 04/24/13 09:26 PM What's so bad about Islamey?
Goomer Piles Offline

It seems to be commonly thought of as vulgar or lacking in musical worth. Is it? Why? Some people are preconditioned to dislike it even if they've never heard it and have never seen the score. Why?

To fans of the piece: what do you like about it? How do you defend it to its many detractors, or do you bother? Is it just a question of taste, or is there something more going on?

Are there other pieces in standard piano repertoire that are so polarizing?

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2070241 - 04/24/13 09:47 PM Re: What's so bad about Islamey? [Re: Goomer Piles]
gooddog Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
I wouldn't say I'm a fan but I do find it interesting. It's not something I would listen to on my own or learn, but when it's on the radio, I listen through it rather than turning it off. Kinda' luke warm.

Deborah

#2070249 - 04/24/13 10:12 PM Re: What's so bad about Islamey? [Re: Goomer Piles]
beet31425 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
Goomer,

You mention the people who are "preconditioned to dislike it even if they've never heard it", and you address the people who are "fans of the piece".

Don't forget the rest of us: the ones who know the piece, and hate it. I find it without substance and in your face-- an unfortunate combination.

-J

#2070271 - 04/24/13 10:35 PM Re: What's so bad about Islamey? [Re: Goomer Piles]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
My only criticsm of Islamey is I find it a little repetitious. Otherwise I quite like it. I don't think there's any common agreement among PW posters about this piece. Even if there is it would represent too small a number of people(a very high percentage of posts is done by a very small number of posters) to be of any significance.

I don't see much difference conceptually between Islamey and a piece like a Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody except that most of the Liszt Rhapsodies are a little better at achieving the same goal.

#2070273 - 04/24/13 10:38 PM Re: What's so bad about Islamey? [Re: Goomer Piles]
Goomer Piles Offline

Originally Posted By: beet31425
Goomer,

You mention the people who are "preconditioned to dislike it even if they've never heard it", and you address the people who are "fans of the piece".

Don't forget the rest of us: the ones who know the piece, and hate it. I find it without substance and in your face-- an unfortunate combination.

-J

I meant to address the rest of you at the start! smile

Originally Posted By: Goomer Piles
It seems to be commonly thought of as vulgar or lacking in musical worth. Is it? Why?

I know some people feel as you do about some of Liszt's works, for example, but that's a controversial thing to say because Liszt is a top-tier composer. Is Islamey more easily scorned because Balakirev is not one?

p.s. Posted before I saw pianoloverus mention Liszt.

Edited by Goomer Piles (04/24/13 10:41 PM)
Edit Reason: p.s.

#2070274 - 04/24/13 10:39 PM Re: What's so bad about Islamey? [Re: Goomer Piles]
pianoloverus Online   content

double post

Edited by pianoloverus (04/24/13 10:48 PM)

#2070276 - 04/24/13 10:43 PM Re: What's so bad about Islamey? [Re: Goomer Piles]
Piano*Dad Offline

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Yes, I see that you find it repetitious, ... repetitious, ...
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#2070284 - 04/24/13 10:47 PM Re: What's so bad about Islamey? [Re: Goomer Piles]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
I don't think it's a bad piece at all. It's not a masterpiece/staple in my opinion, but I think it's a perfectly fine and fun piece.

#2070286 - 04/24/13 10:50 PM Re: What's so bad about Islamey? [Re: Orange Soda King]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King
I don't think it's a bad piece at all. It's not a masterpiece/staple in my opinion, but I think it's a perfectly fine and fun piece.

If it were easier, it would be a great piece. The problem is that it's so difficult and really isn't worth the effort you put in to learn it, unless you have superb technique (which many do nowadays grin ).

Polyphonist

#2070291 - 04/24/13 10:57 PM Re: What's so bad about Islamey? [Re: Goomer Piles]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
My one criticism of Islamey is that it is repetitious and has an ugly melody. I mean, my two criticisms of Islamey is that it is repetitious, has an ugly melody, and an equally ugly counter melody. I mean, my three criticisms of Islamey is ... Seriously, I have hated the piece for years before I ever heard it mentioned and I'm shocked and angered when anyone enjoys it.

#2070295 - 04/24/13 11:00 PM Re: What's so bad about Islamey? [Re: Goomer Piles]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

HAHAHAHAhahahaha...hahaha...ha..

Hilarious.

(Not.)

Polyphonist

#2070296 - 04/24/13 11:01 PM Re: What's so bad about Islamey? [Re: Damon]
Mark_C Online   content

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: Damon
My one criticism of Islamey is that it is repetitious and has an ugly melody.....

It has a "melody"? grin

90% serious, despite the smiley.

I mean, I know that it goes "da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da....." but I never thought of that as a melody.

#2070304 - 04/24/13 11:09 PM Re: What's so bad about Islamey? [Re: Goomer Piles]
didyougethathing Offline
500 Post Club Member

While I agree the first part isn't the greatest melody, it gives a percussive feel that is interesting. I find the slower middle section quite beautiful. Definitely not a masterpiece, but worth a listen when played well.

Edited by didyougethathing (04/24/13 11:09 PM)

#2070308 - 04/24/13 11:14 PM Re: What's so bad about Islamey? [Re: didyougethathing]
Mark_C Online   content

Originally Posted By: didyougethathing
....it gives a percussive feel that is interesting....

I don't particularly like that kind of music, and even when I do, there are other composers and pieces that do it much better and more interestingly. Without trying, I can think of any number of things by Prokofiev and Bartok....

#2070314 - 04/24/13 11:17 PM Re: What's so bad about Islamey? [Re: Goomer Piles]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I like the middle section, but the rest is kinda lame. Oh, the coda's pretty cool too. But it's not even all that exciting anyways, especially when you compare it to something like Scarbo.
Rachmaninoff - Piano Sonata no.1

#2070315 - 04/24/13 11:17 PM Re: What's so bad about Islamey? [Re: Goomer Piles]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Originally Posted By: Goomer Piles
It seems to be commonly thought of as vulgar or lacking in musical worth. Is it? Why? Some people are preconditioned to dislike it even if they've never heard it and have never seen the score. Why?

To fans of the piece: what do you like about it? How do you defend it to its many detractors, or do you bother? Is it just a question of taste, or is there something more going on?

Are there other pieces in standard piano repertoire that are so polarizing?

I think it's got a couple things going for it. Most listeners seem to believe it is one of the most technically challenging works out there, and younger pianists will even approach it this way. And yes, it is technically challenging, so that is the first thing. Many people who attempt to tackle the piece can't get past the technical challenges to the music.

And that's where the real challenge is--the music. There are so many middle lines, inner melodies, and nuances, that it takes a truly seasoned veteran to bring them all to light.

I know when I first tried to learn the piece, I didn't have nearly enough technique to approach it, and while I could hear the music the way I wanted to play it, I couldn't make that happen in my fingers. It took me something like 7 years to come back to it and do it justice.

I consider Islamey to be like beer. Once you acquire a taste for it, you almost can't live without it. But the first time you try it, it kind of tastes like cat [censored]. wink

Let me address some of my ideas based on some of the criticisms in the thread. (I am not doing this to sway anyone's opinion. Some people have very clearly illuminated ideas I could not say any better, and I want to bounce off those ideas.)

I find it without substance and in your face-- an unfortunate combination.

This is kind of what I meant early on-- so many pianists tackle it as an in-your-face technical challenge that the music itself is lost. I didn't really like the piece until I started playing around with the score and found the nuances that appealed to me.

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
My only criticsm of Islamey is I find it a little repetitious. Otherwise I quite like it. I don't think there's any common agreement among PW posters about this piece. Even if there is it would represent too small a number of people(a very high percentage of posts is done by a very small number of posters) to be of any significance.

I don't see much difference conceptually between Islamey and a piece like a Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody except that most of the Liszt Rhapsodies are a little better at achieving the same goal.

Another big issue, and I really like the Liszt example. I might even throw in La Campanella, too, in that it is very repetitious, and only carries a few themes. I believe Islamey was constructed as a fantasy based on two Oriental themes, and they do repeat several times. There's actually an optional cut towards the end of the score to cut a few pages (and one or two repetitions) out, though I don't remember what editor made the suggestion. I'd almost call it a theme and variation, or a fugue, except it doesn't vary enough, and there isn't really any counterpoint. (Would that be fair to say?)

#2070317 - 04/24/13 11:18 PM Re: What's so bad about Islamey? [Re: Mark_C]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: Mark_C
but I never thought of that as a melody.

Why not?

#2070318 - 04/24/13 11:18 PM Re: What's so bad about Islamey? [Re: Kuanpiano]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kuanpiano
I like the middle section, but the rest is kinda lame. Oh, the coda's pretty cool too. But it's not even all that exciting anyways, especially when you compare it to something like Scarbo.

And compare the musical material to something like the first movement of Chopin's Op 58 and it looks like Chopsticks.

Polyphonist

#2070322 - 04/24/13 11:22 PM Re: What's so bad about Islamey? [Re: Goomer Piles]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
They're often compared when it comes to technical difficulty, because Ravel apparently tried to write something harder than Islamey and came up with Scarbo (as you probably know....).

Though back to chopsticks..well, that's the point right? It's not supposed to be some sort of deep masterpiece anyways.
Rachmaninoff - Piano Sonata no.1

#2070324 - 04/24/13 11:23 PM Re: What's so bad about Islamey? [Re: Goomer Piles]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I prefer deep masterpieces. grin

Polyphonist

#2070328 - 04/24/13 11:27 PM Re: What's so bad about Islamey? [Re: Goomer Piles]
beet31425 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
Islamey's main theme sounds like a childhood taunt. Best left in the 3rd grade schoolyard.

-J

#2070330 - 04/24/13 11:30 PM Re: What's so bad about Islamey? [Re: Kuanpiano]
Mark_C Online   content

Originally Posted By: Kuanpiano
....Though back to chopsticks..well, that's the point right? It's not supposed to be some sort of deep masterpiece anyways.

Then it needs to be shorter. smile

Good rule of thumb about art: Say what you've got to say, then quit.

So.....how much too-long is Islamey? grin

IMO about 7 and a half minutes.

It was news to me to find that it gets played any amount. None of my colleagues anywhere played it nor had I come across it in any performances till the amateur competitions -- i.e. not that long ago. And I've been surprised how much it pops up on this site. For example, we see more recordings and much more discussion of it than of (just for some disparate examples) Chopin's F minor Fantaisie, Beethoven's Op. 78 sonata, Bach's Chromatic Fantasy & Fugue, Mozart's A minor sonata, Schumann's Carnaval....

Am I saying it gets way more attention here than it deserves?
Yes. smile

#2070334 - 04/24/13 11:34 PM Re: What's so bad about Islamey? [Re: Mark_C]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
So.....how much too-long is Islamey? grin

IMO about 7 and a half minutes.

Then Chopsticks must be a better piece, because it's only 10 seconds too long! grin

By the way, I was just thinking we need another Pianist Corner thread on the Chopin Op 58. Heck, I could create a whole site about that piece.

Polyphonist

#2070337 - 04/24/13 11:43 PM Re: What's so bad about Islamey? [Re: Goomer Piles]
BruceD Online   content

Loc: Victoria, BC
A poll might (possibly?) reveal that younger (males?) like Islamey, but that the older one is the less one likes it. Since I'm probably one of the oldest regular contributors here, and if there's any validity to my hypothesis, that fact alone should indicate just what I feel about Islamey!

To clarify : it's repetitive, it's bombastic, it's virtuosity for virtuosity's sake, it's seemingly endless, and it has no redeeming musical worth - IMHO, understood!

Cheers!

#2070340 - 04/24/13 11:46 PM Re: What's so bad about Islamey? [Re: BruceD]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BruceD
A poll might (possibly?) reveal that the older one is, the less one likes Islamey. Since I'm probably one of the oldest regulars here, that should tell those you who don't already know just what I feel about Islamey!

Cheers!

It has less to do with age than musical maturity. Young, inexperienced amateurs/college students say "Look! A piece that's difficult to play! I can impress everybody with this masterpiece! What brilliance!" They don't see the lack of musical material until it's too late-they've already learned it. grin

Polyphonist

#2070345 - 04/24/13 11:53 PM Re: What's so bad about Islamey? [Re: Goomer Piles]
John Pels Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tomball, Texas
Bruce, I disagree, I loved the piece when I was 20 and I'm now 57. It could be a general lack of maturity and certainly my wife might agree. I just think it's good fun and I love the lush middle section. I was taken in by Brendel's recording and haven't heard one that I like as well in the intervening years. It's easier to find recordings of it these days, but most don't do it justice.

#2070347 - 04/24/13 11:56 PM Re: What's so bad about Islamey? [Re: Goomer Piles]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
I think I tend to agree with Polyphonist regarding age... I know quite a few young people who don't like it. However, most of them are females. smile

Music is my best friend.

#2070348 - 04/24/13 11:58 PM Re: What's so bad about Islamey? [Re: Polyphonist]
Mark_C Online   content

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
It has less to do with age than musical maturity. Young, inexperienced amateurs/college students say "Look! A piece that's difficult to play! I can impress everybody with this masterpiece! What brilliance!" They don't see the lack of musical material until it's too late-they've already learned it. grin

Then I guess young people 40 years ago were more mature than they are now. grin

#2070382 - 04/25/13 01:13 AM Re: What's so bad about Islamey? [Re: Goomer Piles]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
I like readings that capture the folk/dance element and aren't taken too terribly fast. Among the YouTube offerings, I think Terrence Judd's is excellent. Gavrilov's is decent. Not a fan of Berezovsky's.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#2070387 - 04/25/13 01:20 AM Re: What's so bad about Islamey? [Re: beet31425]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Islamey's main theme sounds like a childhood taunt. Best left in the 3rd grade schoolyard.

It's a folk dance tune from the Caucasus.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
U.S. Treasury Auctioning Steinway Art Case Concert Grand
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
160 registered (accordeur, Alex1, ajames, Al LaPorte, Adypiano, 48 invisible), 1806 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75487 Members
42 Forums
156095 Topics
2292197 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Newbie Needs Help
by PianoJill
07/23/14 12:25 PM
fingering suggestions, please
by riley80
07/23/14 11:14 AM
Yamaha P105 for outdoors ???
by musicmad
07/23/14 11:10 AM
Godowsky, Poem No. 1, "Devotion"
by RachFan
07/23/14 11:09 AM
Help for Newbie
by PianoJill
07/23/14 10:18 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission