2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, 10 invisible), 1,231 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
I can't find an earlier thread for this newer operating system so....

update your Roland!

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1128/downloads/

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by slipperykeys

update your Roland!

From reading "what's added", I don't think that this is new. I believe this version has been around for awhile, and discussed.

Still, very cool that Roland (unlike Yamaha, for example) actually tells you what the update does . . .

S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Melodialworks Music

update your Roland!

From reading "what's added", I don't think that this is new. I believe this version has been around for awhile, and discussed.

Still, very cool that Roland (unlike Yamaha, for example) actually tells you what the update does . . .

I have Version 2.00 that was released about a month ago, since then there seems to have been 2 updates, the newest is quite recent according to this thread here, which is dated only yesterday, hence my posting.

http://forums.rolandclan.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=45883

Last edited by slipperykeys; 11/30/12 12:16 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
What are the differences between v2.00 and v2.02?

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Kawai James
What are the differences between v2.00 and v2.02?

From the thread.....

"""RD-700NX System Update Version 2.02
by howardS » 05:29, 29 November 2012

An update has just been released which you can get here. The following appears to be the only reported bug fix:

● It might rarely not stop sounds on the specified setting and playing style.howardS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: RD-700NX System Update Version 2.02
by howardS » 05:33, 29 November 2012

Wait, it seems there is one other reported fix. According to this link there was also a Ver.2.01 release which fixed the following bug:

It interrupts the sounds when you perform a piano sound with playing Fast Bossa rhythms.

So, I assume 2.02 has both these fixes in it.howardS

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
It interrupts the sounds when you perform a piano sound with playing Fast Bossa rhythms.

A Fast Bossa Nova rhythm bug! Is nothing sacred?

S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
To be honest there are more important things that Roland should be looking at.
My piano has a very unpleasant "click" on key release of the first Harpsichord. This click is also heard on most, if not all, I forget now as I don't use them anyway, tone wheel organs and Acoustic Bass 3, which is a pre set programmed into the layers on the concert grand, so is a prominant voice, also, the best acoustic bass, if it wasn't for the clicking.
It could be argued that these clicks are part of the instrument sound, but they are so loud as to be obtrusive and ugly and detract so much from the music in quiet parts that the tones are rendered unusable.
There are alternatives, so it isn't a massive problem, but either Roland haven't noticed it, which would be amazing, can't do anything about it, which would be disappointing, or it is a bug on my specific piano.
As it can affect voices, very rarely that don't usually have it, it even appeared on the concert grand once, when I messing about with the voices, I believe it may be a fault in the design.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Sounds like they took the Hammond 'key-click' and extended it to other sounds!?

S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
Sounds like they took the Hammond 'key-click' and extended it to other sounds!?

To be honest it sounds more like a software fault. I may record it and send it to them. Roland don't seem to read this forum, probably too wrapped up in Roland Clan!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
To be honest it sounds more like a software fault. I may record it and send it to them. Roland don't seem to read this forum, probably too wrapped up in Roland Clan!

If you record it please post a link to it here. How exactly do you get the NX to make this sound?

S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by dewster

If you record it please post a link to it here. How exactly do you get the NX to make this sound?

You don't need to do anything special. Just select the pre-sets for Acoustic Bass 3, or Harpsichord, or tone wheel organ...

The "click" is intrusive as you release the key.

As I have said there are plenty of alternatives so it isn't a huge problem, but it does render the pre-sets that have it unplayable, on my piano at least.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
As I have said there are plenty of alternatives so it isn't a huge problem, but it does render the pre-sets that have it unplayable, on my piano at least.

But you wrote:

As it can affect voices, very rarely that don't usually have it, it even appeared on the concert grand once, when I messing about with the voices, I believe it may be a fault in the design.

Any idea on how to get the click to show up in the wrong patch? That would be a real bug and something you could officially complain to Roland about and reasonably expect a fix.

S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by dewster

But you wrote:

Any idea on how to get the click to show up in the wrong patch? That would be a real bug and something you could officially complain to Roland about and reasonably expect a fix.

It only ever happened the one occasion and as I say, I was messing about with files/switching and menus, although not doing anything wrong, and may have loaded operating system 2.0.0 the day it happened.
I don't recall the specific thing/s I did that caused it but it only stopped on concert grand after I switched the piano off and back on again. It has not happened since then on concert grand.

I still have operating system 2.0.0., I haven't added the update 2.0.2 yet.
Last night testing the click again on Harpsichord 1 I noticed that it isn't there if you hold down the sustain pedal, this holds for all the other voices it sounds on too, like Acoustic Bass 3 and certain tone wheel organs. But it will click when you release the pedal.

Last edited by slipperykeys; 12/05/12 01:22 PM.
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Uhm, perhaps an old relic and has been fixed and answered long before, but...

- Has the key cut-off issue been fixed during the last two years with firmware updates ? I know it is still apparent when playing back mp3 simultaneously, but I want to know if it is totally gone while playing without MP3/WAV in the background.

- The Ivory key wear issue is also apparently under control with later batches. Any rough idea from which date / serial Roland started shipping RD700's with the new and better coating ? Any visual way to check if you have a later keybed with the better coating ?

Why ask ? A nice and relatively inexpensive 2nd hand 700NX is on sale, but am a bit afraid of these two issues that we're often reported in the past.

Thanks, J

X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
Running 2.02 here. I have never heard the staccato note issue myself. I've seen the YouTube video. I dunno about the key coating, but I wash my hands before playing.

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Would you still recommend it ? Even now that we're probably close to the end of the life cycle of the NX ? I can get a good deal, but would like to know if owners are still happy with their RD's after a few years or have slowly become bored / irritated by it (e.g. SN piano becoming annoying after a while / operation flaws).

S
S
How long do these updates normally take to apply? I'm updating from 1.x to 2.02 and it's been going for a few hours...

X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
Originally Posted by snowbird122
How long do these updates normally take to apply? I'm updating from 1.x to 2.02 and it's been going for a few hours...

I updated mine from 1.x to 2.02 and iirc, it only took a few minutes. What's your screen say?

S
S
At this point, is has been going all night. The screen is continuously filling with dots. Every now and then it adds a "Loading.........". In addition to the USB stick with the new firm ware, I also have it plugged into my computer through USB. I wonder if that is causing problems. Any advice on how to proceed from here? I sure don't want to brick this thing.

S
S
Turns out I was formatting the USB stick incorrectly. Tech support told me there was no problem in shutting down and trying again. I shut down, reformatted the USB, and then everything worked fine. The update only took about 5 min.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission