2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 36251, benkeys, 9 invisible), 1,931 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Personally, I think it's fine, if the students are fine with it. It's not ideal, but you can space them farther apart if neither of them can switch pieces. After all, they've worked hard and it's not exactly fair to ask either of them to switch on (short?) notice. smile

Gisele Offline OP
OP Offline
Thankfully, these 2 kids don't know each other. I was thinking of asking one to replace that song, but she has worked so hard on it (as has the other student). As suggested, I will have to place them as far apart as possible. Lesson learned: when list of recital pieces is long, put them in excel format weeks before the date and sort them by title.....

Gisele Sum, gsum82-piano@hotmail.com
Piano and Theory Teacher
Principal Church Organist and/or Choir Accompaniment
Originally Posted by Gisele
Thankfully, these 2 kids don't know each other.

That's good. You'd hate to create rivalry in the studio. Live, learn, and let live. wink

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by MrsLois
I wouldn't worry about it. Last year, in my recital of 46 kids, I had 7 kids play the same piece. It's not a big deal.

If that's what will get them up there playing confidently in front of people, who cares?

thumb

Piano Teacher
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I don't like assigning the same pieces to different students, unless they are still in method books. Once the student is out of method books, I make a point to teach different materials to different students. Several reasons:

1) The music won't stagnate.

2) I get to cater the repertoire to the student's individual taste and needs.

3) I get to expand my own repertoire.

4) Students get exposed to as many different pieces as possible, from what they play, to what they hear at recitals.

5) Students won't end up comparing themselves.

When you send as many students to competitions and festivals as I do, you will run into repeated repertoire all the time. Bach Festival is notorious for having seven kids in a row play Invention No. 8. So, within the confines of my own studio, I avoid repeated repertoire at all cost.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
K
kck Offline
K
Oh this happens at my kid's recitals on a fairly regular basis. Especially with beginner kids. They just break up the kids. One plays towards the beginning and one towards the end. It's never a big deal.

Last edited by kck; 04/25/13 10:20 PM.

Amateur musician, piano and violin parent
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by kck
Oh this happens at my kid's recitals on a fairly regular basis. Especially with beginner kids. They just break up the kids. One plays towards the beginning and one towards the end. It's never a big deal.

This method seems to be advocated by many on this thread, but it is a problem if you are trying to arrange the participants in order of increasing proficiency, ie the beginners first, and the advanced students (if there are any) at the end (which is the way many teachers do it). Thus, to put a student playing a Bach invention between two Liszt Transcendentals is not really what you're looking for in this case, but that's what would happen if you tried to put them at the opposite end of the recital from the other student playing it. I think it's much better just to avoid assigning the same piece to both students.

Regards,

Polyphonist
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I never put students in order of proficiency, so it's not a problem for me.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Minniemay
I never put students in order of proficiency, so it's not a problem for me.

How do you order them? Alphabetically? grin

Regards,

Polyphonist
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I group pieces around a theme or vary them by mood or historical interest. There are many ways to do it.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Minniemay
I group pieces around a theme or vary them by mood or historical interest. There are many ways to do it.

I see.

Regards,

Polyphonist
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
You could do chronologically according to the composer's time period. I've never done that, but I think it would be cool. Or you can do according to the tempo of the piece, alternating fast and slow (I do this often).

I used to do according to difficulty of the piece ending with the most advanced students, but I think it's obvious who is the most advanced, and who cares? Now I like it more with what sounds good. I will, however, put students who get stage fright in a spot where they prefer (some want to be first, some want to be close to the beginning but not first, etc.).

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
P
I definitely don't programme in order of difficulty. Older beginners wouldn't appreciate being grouped with the 4-6 year olds.
I get great joy out of making as interesting a programme I can with the pieces available. I mix the levels throughout, for the listening enjoyment of the audience. I make sure the smallest kids are closer to the beginning because I know it's hard to wait your turn. The first performer must be really well prepared, know how to bow properly, and know how to behave during a performance - this child is setting the tone for the whole recital, so you have to choose wisely.

There is also the bench height and footstool to take into considersation (if you use an adjustable bench and footstool). I use both of those and usually put 3 or 4 similarly sized students back-to-back in the programme. This decreases the number of adjustments I need to make during the concert.
I also intersperse duets throughout the programme, so that there is lots of variety for the audience.

You also have to consider the feelings of the students performing. Even though we don't want them to, students and families compare performances. For that reason, I never put siblings back to back, or other students that tend to compete.

I probably spend too much time on my programmes, but I do enjoy the time spent, and feel that the results are enjoyable and interesting concerts.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission