Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2070702 - 04/25/13 02:21 PM Dietmann piano
Jon Page Offline

Loc: Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Massac...
I went to evaluate a problem in the tenor area of a vertical at a church. It turns out, the hammers are exploding. I can't find this piano listed. Who makes it? The only markings I could see said: Dietmann Original. It might have been brought here from SA.

Edited by Jon Page (04/25/13 02:22 PM)

Jon Page
Piano technician/tuner
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA
http://www.pianocapecod.com

(ad PTG 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
PTG 57th Annual Convention - Atlanta
#2070815 - 04/25/13 05:28 PM Re: Dietmann piano [Re: Jon Page]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Yes John, they are from South Africa. I am always a bit confused by Dietmans - the company seemed to go through several large changes, in models and in production quality. I have seen a few which were quite decent. I hope some of our S.A. participants know more and will chime in.

[edit - just so you know - exploding hammers is not a very good sign...]

Edited by Supply (04/25/13 05:29 PM)

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#2070878 - 04/25/13 07:06 PM Re: Dietmann piano [Re: Supply]
Jon Page Offline

It seems like a quality built piano. I have repaired exploded hammers with glue and clamps, then drilling two small holes to insert wire to twist (whole set).

Jon Page
Piano technician/tuner

#2070887 - 04/25/13 07:21 PM Re: Dietmann piano [Re: Jon Page]
RestorerPhil Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
You can also do this using one pair of 7" needle nose vise grips, hide glue, and heavy thread. See this post number below:

#2045509 - 03/09/13 01:44 PM Re: Bridle Strap Band-Aid [Re: Olek]

The entire thread is useful, but you will have to scroll down to read about my thread trick. I did some Baldwin bass hammers that way this week, but sorry, no pictures.
Rebuilding & Restoration

#2070963 - 04/25/13 09:01 PM Re: Dietmann piano [Re: Jon Page]
Jon Page Offline

I prefer to use a wire twisted because a thread wrapping does not look professional enough and could get hung up on an adjacent hammer. I use phosphor bronze spring wire because it is easy to with.

Edited by Jon Page (04/25/13 09:02 PM)

Jon Page
Piano technician/tuner

#2071231 - 04/26/13 04:24 AM Re: Dietmann piano [Re: Jon Page]
Mark R. Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria, South Africa
Disclaimer: I'm no professional piano tech, but I can share what info I have.

To my knowledge, Dietmann was a German piano technician who emigrated to South Africa in the 1920s. His son founded the piano factory in Wellington around 1955. They built pianos at various price and quality points, some of them stencils, some under license (e.g. Ibach - I have one of those). The factory closed in the 80s.

As far as I've been able to determine, most of the factory's brands, Dietmann amongst them, had a good reputation as reliable instruments, and were actually exported worldwide. But it appears they used a wide range of parts and qualities.
* The Ibachs, for example, were their flagship, and were assembled with Renner actions and Ibach soundboards (at least they bear the genuine decal) from Schwelm in Germany. To my knowledge, Rolf Ibach actually worked with (or at?) at the factory for some time. My parents also have one of these (1966), similar to mine (1970). While both sound very good and play well, they show signs of shoddy workmanship, notably sloppy bridge notching and pinning.
* The Otto Bachs were apparently their mid-range and "work horse". Every other household and teacher had one, and still has. I was told by an elderly tech that these were actually stencilled Knight pianos. "Otto Bach" was originally an export range of the big Leipzig manufacturer Gebr. Zimmermann. (I have one of those "originals".) Apparently Dietmann jr. bought the name and stencilled it onto those Knights. They were sold by the thousands and are still very common on the local used piano market. I've worked on one, and saw that it had the stamp of an English keyboard maker on the keyframe - but I've forgotten the name. This would bear out the assertion that they are stenciled English pianos.
* Another brand that I've seen from this factory is Ludwig Meister, but I don't know anything about these. They may have been an entry-level offering.
* Whether the Dietmann range was some stencil or Dietmann's own design and product, I don't know. They are not as common as the Otto Bachs.

The Otto Bach that I worked on also had some exploded hammers.

I glued and clamped this with hot hide glue, but didn't fit a (new) staple (yet). I see the piano regularly, and as yet, the repair is holding up. The action has no markings, so I presume it was developed in-house by the Dietmann factory. It has black plastic flanges and jacks, which are holding up well even after 40 years. (The keyframe punchings are another matter...)

The other weak spot on that instrument is a severely cracked bridge in the high treble. This may be an isolated case - I have no others to compare it with. It's still tunable, but I'm envisaging to repair it with epoxy sometime. The pinblock tunes well, but may be separating in the high treble, as the right action bracket is jamming quite severely on its bolt. The soundboard was varnished/painted with a greenish, almost opaque finish, and is crack-free.

I'm just providing these details so that the OP can compare notes.

I still have the original Dietmann factory brochure and invoice that came with my Ibach (the previous owner bought it new). I'll have a look whether they wrote something specific about the various brands they sold.

Sorry, most of this is second-hand information that I've gleaned from local techs, internet searching and partly my own observations. Some local techs may know better, but I haven't seen any such info posted on the 'net, which is why I've summarised my own findings here. I hope it helps the OP nevertheless.

1922 49" Zimmermann, project piano.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.

#2071245 - 04/26/13 05:16 AM Re: Dietmann piano [Re: Jon Page]
Mark R. Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria, South Africa
See also a previous post in this forum, where the old factory premises were described:
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...%20Bach???.html

And I've just found this interview with Dietmann jr., published last year. I'll archive this on my PC, as it's news to me, and I'm not sure how long these articles "live" on the WWW.
http://www.classicsa.co.za/site/features...n_south_africa/

(It appears the Otto Bach and Dietmann are, once again, available as stencils. But I haven't seen any of them yet, not to mention, played one.)

1922 49" Zimmermann, project piano.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.

#2071279 - 04/26/13 07:28 AM Re: Dietmann piano [Re: Jon Page]
Jon Page Offline

Mark, thank you for the information and links. As shown in your photo, that is a mere glue joint failure, a minor separation and can be easily glued. The hammers on this piano have a higher tension and have actually sprung widely apart, the felt is blocking against the damper block. This set has at least 30% exploded thru the bass and tenor and will need to have the set replacement.

It's sad actually because the church was reluctant but obligated to accept this donation and now it is an albatross. With any luck, the donors will feel obligated to donate the funds for repair.

Jon Page
Piano technician/tuner

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
70 registered (bennevis, bgiles, a-z0-9, Baudelaire, AZ_Astro, 20 invisible), 1198 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75569 Members
42 Forums
156242 Topics
2294631 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Will a Damp-Chaser fill in the cracks in a sound-board?
by Paul678
Today at 12:36 AM
The Mason & Hamlin Tension Resonator: Help or Hype???
by Paul678
Today at 12:06 AM
What piano do i have?
by allana
Yesterday at 11:43 PM
Moving to Intermediate Level
by Gisele
Yesterday at 11:15 PM
Mixer
by doremi
Yesterday at 10:48 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission