Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
118 registered (Anita Potter, arod7, ando, anamnesis, AndyJoe, 31 invisible), 1392 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2071069 - 04/25/13 11:02 PM Pianists who don't enjoy... solo piano? (Jazz)
Rollin shoulders Offline

Loc: WNY

Don't get me wrong, I love hearing solo pianists (sometimes) and truly appreciate the talent and years of dedication to be that talented at creating such great music (as in, composing solo piano works or improvising) or playing pieces (in a classical sense).

I came to the conclusion that I actually love piano as an accompaniment instrument like guitar or organ (think jazz) as opposed to actually listening to one person just play solo piano.

Does anyone else here feel this way? I'm in no way bashing solo piano and saying it's boring or something, but I honestly like hearing a trio or quartet as opposed to just a guy soloing on piano.

I'm currently waiting on whether or not I got accepted into a music program for my B.A in Music education and I had to audition for it. Why I think I prolonged the practicing aspect of it was because I had to learn solo pieces.

I didn't want to cause trouble because, this is the great piano forums and all, but I wanted to see what other pianists thought.
A.S in Music and Science '13
Music Certificate '13

Piano & Music Accessories
#2071196 - 04/26/13 03:11 AM Re: Pianists who don't enjoy... solo piano? (Jazz) [Re: Rollin shoulders]
Lost Woods Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Can you give examples of what sort of solo jazz piano you don't like? I'm just listening to jazz for 2 years.
For me, I prefer to listen to trios etc. mostly because I like the rhythm, structure and I am a great fan of the double bass. Those things come back in solo jazz piano when listening to Dave Mckenna and Lennie Tristano, really like that. But I have to admit I never listen to "solo" jazz piano records (like Bill Evans or Keith Jarret solo). Not that I don't like the sound, but I like the trios/quartets much more.

Btw, I don't come across many walking bass style solo jazz piano players like Mckenna and Tristano... what's up with that? Doesn't seem to be to popular or I'm just not looking good enough.

#2071250 - 04/26/13 05:54 AM Re: Pianists who don't enjoy... solo piano? (Jazz) [Re: Rollin shoulders]
Mark Polishook Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Leicester, UK
Rollin Shoulders, you gotta a couple of way to go.

1. Maintain your tastes as they are. Accompanying, whether classical jazz or any style, is a nuanced skill that can sound easier than it looks. It's perfectly OK to have an opinion about what you like or don't like. And to just leave it at that.

2. Grow your tastes and expand into some areas your less comfortable with. That's not always easy and it's not always fun and it can seem counter productive at times. But the ability to stretch your taste and enjoy things you didn't previously like only leads to good things. And because you appear to be making a career choice in music, the more skills you have and the more styles you appreciate the better off you'll be. It may be that when you get to university your professors will challenge your choices to purposely help you to expand and grow and consider as many options as possible.

I've never seen or heard or met anyone who was sorry about expanding their tastes and skills. On the other hand, music education is a path many follow because they're more interested in educational and learning process in music rather than high-level artistic accomplishment.

Maybe what could guide you is what you and your professors agree on as the best way to move your musical career forward. You will, for sure, hear a lot of good opinions in this forum and mention of fabulous pianists and recordings.

End of the day, it's your choice as to which facets of your musical abilities and tastes and preferences you choose (or don't choose) to grow.

Edited by printer1 (04/26/13 05:56 AM)

#2071285 - 04/26/13 07:42 AM Re: Pianists who don't enjoy... solo piano? (Jazz) [Re: Rollin shoulders]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
+1 with Printer.

It's a little bit like liking wine, but recognizing that there's something in Whiskey. Maybe you don't like whiskey yet, and maybe never will.

There is something to solo piano that we hardly find in other types of jazz. A good solo recording of Fred Hersh should demonstrate. Keith Jarrett, too. And some Brad Mehldau.

Fresh Hersh plays Jobim.

#2071353 - 04/26/13 09:45 AM Re: Pianists who don't enjoy... solo piano? (Jazz) [Re: Rollin shoulders]
Rollin shoulders Offline

Loc: WNY
Lost woods- a definite example would be Keith jarett. I don't know what it is, but the fact he freaks out on people in his audience shows that he's very egotistical. Understandably, people cough and stuff, but to stop mid song and make the audience feel like its their fault? I don't know, I just get this vibe that pianists (such as jarett) just sound better in an ensemble.

Printer- I do see where you're coming from with expanding tastes, it took me a long time (and I'm still in the process) to acquire a taste for classical music. I'll try to do the same with solo piano jazz, but it's going to be difficult ha.

Knotty- I like your analogy relateing to wine and whiskey. Very blunt way to put it haha.

At least I know I'm not the only one!
A.S in Music and Science '13
Music Certificate '13

#2071527 - 04/26/13 01:06 PM Re: Pianists who don't enjoy... solo piano? (Jazz) [Re: Rollin shoulders]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
one album I listened to for about a year straight a few years back was Michel Pettrucciani au Theatre des Champs Elysees.
Very different from Hersh but great.

#2071806 - 04/26/13 09:35 PM Re: Pianists who don't enjoy... solo piano? (Jazz) [Re: Rollin shoulders]
blotchy Offline

Tastes change over time. When i first got into jazz it was all about the horns because that's what was new coming from more rock/blues. After years of listening and trying to play piano I love a good piano trio -- i needed to grow into appreciating more subtleties. Then guys like Jarrett or McKenna blow me away -- not that i always have the patience for slower developing Jarrett pieces, and the solo piano is a niche i'm not going to overplay, but it can take freedom and/or virtuosity to a new level.

In a something like a quartet or quintet with a great like Red Garland, i can feel gypped of enough piano solo time. When it's there own solo material, you should get all the piano you need.

#2086386 - 05/21/13 05:44 PM Re: Pianists who don't enjoy... solo piano? (Jazz) [Re: Rollin shoulders]
Lost Woods Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Well I just started listening to Bill Evans The Solo Sessions Vol. 1 right now.. and it is simply amazing. Wow!! In this album Bill Evans does a lot some kind of, if I remembered it right, implied rhythm by stabbing chords (please help me here lol!). Blows me away!!

#2086414 - 05/21/13 07:03 PM Re: Pianists who don't enjoy... solo piano? (Jazz) [Re: Rollin shoulders]
Mark Polishook Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Leicester, UK
thanks lost woods! your mention is the first i've heard of them. just found them on amazon.uk and they will be here soon but not soon enough .. smile

#2086419 - 05/21/13 07:19 PM Re: Pianists who don't enjoy... solo piano? (Jazz) [Re: Mark Polishook]
Dfrankjazz Online   content

Loc: NYC
perhaps you might get a tickle from this:

http://youtu.be/vEMp4TKw-Kc

#2086666 - 05/22/13 09:00 AM Re: Pianists who don't enjoy... solo piano? (Jazz) [Re: Rollin shoulders]
tend to rush Offline

Art Tatum? Fats Waller?

#2087050 - 05/22/13 09:32 PM Re: Pianists who don't enjoy... solo piano? (Jazz) [Re: Rollin shoulders]
e440 Offline

...Thelonious Monk? There's something beautiful about the solo-performer. The deeply personal, the nakedness, the silence, nothing is missed, nothing is covered up. And the intervals that guy could get away with...

Edited by e440 (05/22/13 09:33 PM)

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Free collection of intermediate to very advanced Xmas music
by pianoloverus
11/27/14 09:39 AM
Some observations about digital piano
by TonyB
11/27/14 09:36 AM
One man show!
by Nikolas
11/27/14 09:00 AM
Just to say "Hello"
by JennyS
11/27/14 05:33 AM
Dyslexia and reading the rhythm
by Nahum
11/27/14 04:18 AM
Forum Stats
77065 Members
42 Forums
159391 Topics
2341412 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission