2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 14 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
It's been pointed out to some of us that it's not necessarily courageous to submit something, sometimes it's presumptious. Apparently it's only considered courageous when a certain standard is met. Which I why I've decided not to impose on the good nature of the audience.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Peyton
Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH
Originally Posted by Monica K.
Last, but not least, I disagree fairly strongly with the idea of voting people off the recital or encouraging them, either subtly or openly, not to participate.

Aside from my tongue-in-cheek subject line, did anyone actually suggest either voting people off or discouraging them from participating? I didn't pick up on it if they did...

I hope no one thought I was serious.... Other than my joke about throwing Rickster and Andy off I didn't think anyone actually suggested throwing people off.

Oops. I could've sworn I read something somewhere a serious suggestion about starting an intermediate recital and nominating/voting for people to move to it... but I don't have the time or inclination to re-read this monstrous thread to find that post and/or discover that I was hallucinating it. blush

So, to echo the words of the immortal Emily Litella, "never mind!" whome

What I hope most devoutly is that *nobody* takes this thread or the lengthy and sometimes contentious discussion on this thread as a message that they should not participate, whether you be a brand new beginner or advanced pianist. I believe a consensus has been reached and expressed that ALL are welcome. smile

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Well, being new, I've not seen this. I have an opionion about that, which can be guessed at by my above comment. Looking at your signature, anyone who has worked as hard as you have(MOYD since 2007) deserves encouragemet not comments that you are imposing on the audience. We each progress at different rates. Music does not come easily to many. Some are talented. Some simply have to work their butts off! I would hope the new title of "Beginner and Beyond" would include and encourage not the opposite.

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by -Frycek
It's been pointed out to some of us that it's not necessarily courageous to submit something, sometimes it's presumptious. Apparently it's only considered courageous when a certain standard is met. Which I why I've decided not to impose on the good nature of the audience.

I don't understand that -Frycek. I don't think it reflects the feelings of the great majority of people posting here. I would encourage you to rethink your position. Or out the person who told you that, and we'll explain to him/her (gently or not, as the case warrants) that the ABF, and the ABaB Recital, is meant to be a welcoming environment for all, and especially for people who might have doubts about their abilities or achievements.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
In regards to the ABF in general, my impression has been that there is a bunch of people who find themselves being students of piano playing when they are no longer children, and that once upon a time the feeling was that piano student and child were synonyms. And then there are people who have had solid training, probably in childhood, and don't really consider themselves as learners that much, so they're looking mostly on how they are interpreting music, refining their playing and so on. The ABF is "the-group-that-isn't-this-second-group-because-we-are-still-learning" group. "Beginners" never really fit. TGTITSGBWASL is probably a tad long. laugh "Beginners and Beyond" sounds good to me. It also helps with the awkward situation of the odd 15 year old who doesn't fit in any age-related group.

Frycek - there will always be the ignorant person here and there who says an ignorant thing, but they don't represent anyone. It's also possible for people to put their feet in their mouth and come across differently than intended. The Internet is great (not!) for that.

I believe a consensus has been reached and expressed that ALL are welcome. smile

(Worth quoting, with thanks on behalf of all the timid people out there, for whatever reason.)

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Sorry guys, I've been having a super bad day (work, new computer system,etc) and was feeling a little bitter.

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Oops. I could've sworn I read something somewhere a serious suggestion about starting an intermediate recital and nominating/voting for people to move to it... but I don't have the time or inclination to re-read this monstrous thread to find that post and/or discover that I was hallucinating it. blush

That may have been TrapperJohn. I think we should throw him out!!! smile

Come on SH, let's have a committee. This is fun.

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
It's been pointed out to some of us that it's not necessarily courageous to submit something, sometimes it's presumptious.
Submitting our work is an opportunity, a unique and very valuable one, to prepare a piece with more focus than we might usually apply and reap the benefits that level of focus brings to our practise and our technique. For some of us it may be our only opportunity to have an audience after countless hours of practise in solitude.

That others are afforded the joys of hearing their peers and their forum friends at the same time is a bonus.

If you've been the recipient of a negative reaction in the past it may take some courage to submit again but you owe it to yourself to make a submission if you can and we really want to hear our peers and our forum friends. We can't always put a face to the name but it helps to listen to them play.

Negativity is uncharacteristic of this group and any public repeat would be met with widespread condemnation because it detracts from the recital, the forum, the participants and Piano World as a whole.

Everyone is invited to participate. No-one is forced to listen to any of the pieces.

Which I why I've decided not to impose on the good nature of the audience.
It is not am imposition but an offering. We WANT to hear others, not to judge them but to judge ourselves, to see what's possible. It allows us to listen to a wider range of music, it thrills us to hear the diversity of music and the diversity of the performers, encourages us to see how far we've come or where we've come from and it inspires us to go on, to investigate other composers, other genres, other pieces.

It is our nature to be curious. We want to know what music other people choose and hear new interpretations of familiar pieces. Perhaps we might hear something we can add to our own music.

I've read many of your posts on the forum and would be very curious to hear what sounds you bring to the world. It saddening that your silence is thrust upon all of us because of one ungrateful wretch.

Richard
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Peyton, what I'd really like to do is get together with you, my friend Rossy, my friend Tallguy, my friend Trapper and anyone else who wants to just hang out.

You see, we all have a LOT in common and as a result can easily become good friends. even on the internet.

It's possible that not all of our magnetic headings are in alignment with each other at all times but that is no big deal.

It is no big deal because this is where the word 'intent' comes in.

I honestly believe that all of us have the same 'intent', that being to love, share and appreciate our music with others.

I've seen incredible amounts of passion with Rossy and his RST thread. He is very proud of what he created and rightfully so. There may be occasional conflicts (as there is everywhere), but the passion is obviously there.

Tallguy and myself have a lot in common. We even chose the EXACT same recital piece as out first recital submission.

Trapper has an incredible amount of musical passion. (Tell him Karen Carpenter is no good and see what happens!). Just look at the incredibly detailed descriptions he always provides along with his performance of the tune. He is deeply passionate about it and it shows.

And Peyton, you too are an incredible inspiration to all of us. I can honestly say that your Yan Tiersen 'Compte' video was the most professionally presented (to mean more than just the playing, but EVERYTHING} video I have ever seen on this site and probalby any site.

I know for a fact that we will all get along just fine in the future because we all have the same common goal.

Sure, we'll have to fine tune it along the way (like what we're doing right now) but that is to be expected.

I NEED (more than just want) my sleep at night and don't want to be up worrying what 'so and so' has said or done. If that actually is the case, then something is very wrong and needs to be worked out.

The Camaraderie of this forum has always been so strong that an occasional hiccup along the way is not too unsettling.

Everything will ultimately work out fine because this group simply has too much substance for it not to.

Frycek, It would be an honor to have you participate in our recitals once again. I for one am specifically requesting that you participate in our future recitals. The nonsense in the past is over.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
OK, I haven't been around in a long time. I think I participated in the first 11 recitals, but this same discussion was going on years ago! I never felt like my playing lived up to some of the others, but I enjoyed joining in. Personally, I really loved the mix and the beginners mixed in with those with...shall we say...much more experience. These recitals have been going on for so long now, why change anything? smile

When I reach the place I'm going, I will surely know my way.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mr Super-Hunky

I NEED (more than just want) my sleep at night and don't want to be up worrying what 'so and so' has said or done. If that actually is the case, then something is very wrong and needs to be worked out.

Sleep my friend, sleep. We only talk about you when you are not around and make sure everything is deleted by the time you wake up... smile

Seriously, this is the best all around forum I've ever been on. The lack of animosity, contention and sniping that is so rampant on the internet is almost amazing. And since we are all throwing kudos around...You are one of the best things going with this forum Mr SH. Your excellent piano playing, imagination and all around good sense of humor never fail to brighten my day.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Oops. I could've sworn I read something somewhere a serious suggestion about starting an intermediate recital and nominating/voting for people to move to it...

Ah, so that's how misinformation gets traction!

That was me - an "Intermediate and Beyond" Recital - but the voting wasn't to force people to move to it involuntarily, whether they wanted to or not - the voting was to permit or allow people to be admitted once it was agreed that they had reached that level, but only if they wanted or desired to do so voluntarily ... current members would vote secretly on prospective willing applicants...the key words here are: no force - all voluntary!

I'd join it, if voted in - but there are big questions about who's doing the initial voting to get it set up & running and who's organizing things - certainly not me - I'm not that serious about it - I like the present ABF Recitals just fine.

I would say, however, that if it makes sense to change the name of the Recital to "Beginner and Beyond" (although I'm not admitting that it does) then it doesn't make sense not to change the forum name to that also...

And watch what any of you say about Karen mad

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
Just wanted to seriously let you people know. I don't have much inclination to post something I did. I hope people don't take it as rude. Or conceited or anything like that. I just personally can't see myself posting anything unless it is an experience I enjoyed and want to share with you all.

As far as all the talk of naming this or that. I didn't really follow it. Just to mention...I rather like the name: Armed with Keys.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Originally Posted by rocky
OK, I haven't been around in a long time. I think I participated in the first 11 recitals, but this same discussion was going on years ago! I never felt like my playing lived up to some of the others, but I enjoyed joining in. Personally, I really loved the mix and the beginners mixed in with those with...shall we say...much more experience. These recitals have been going on for so long now, why change anything? smile

+1

This is why I miss you, Rocky; you're a wise person indeed.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I love the to and fro of this thread - will it go on forever......I sorta hope so

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn

I would say, however, that if it makes sense to change the name of the Recital to "Beginner and Beyond" (although I'm not admitting that it does) then it doesn't make sense not to change the forum name to that also...

Trap I follow your logic. The only reason I'm not pushing for the forum name change, just the recital, is because the forum is not 'ours'. It is Franks.

The quarterly recitals is something within the forum itself that all of us created. But it is not the actual forum.

Frank may have a marketing reason why he chooses the forum names that he does. Key word searches, hash tags etc. I have no idea.

Since the actual forum name itself has never caused any problems then it has never caused any problems. The recital name however has caused lots-O-past discussions.

If Frank wants to rename the ABF to the AB&B forum then I would support that 100%. But if he has business reasons not too I would also completely understand and support that decision as well.

It's all good.

Originally Posted by TrapperJohn

Trap I follow your logic. The only reason I'm not pushing for the forum name change, just the recital, is because the forum is not 'ours'. It is Franks.

The quarterly recitals is something within the forum itself that all of us created. But it is not the actual forum.

Frank may have a marketing reason why he chooses the forum names that he does. Key word searches, hash tags etc. I have no idea.

Since the actual forum name itself has never caused any problems then it has never caused any problems. The recital name however has caused lots-O-past discussions.

If Frank wants to rename the ABF to the AB&B forum then I would support that 100%. But if he has business reasons not too I would also completely understand and support that decision as well.

It's all good.

+1

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Frycek, It would be an honor to have you participate in our recitals once again. I for one am specifically requesting that you participate in our future recitals. The nonsense in the past is over.

Thanks, I'll take it under advisement.

[Linked Image]
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
[quote=Mr Super-Hunky]Frycek, It would be an honor to have you participate in our recitals once again. I for one am specifically requesting that you participate in our future recitals. The nonsense in the past is over.

Will there not be any nonsense in the future?
How dissapointing

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by earlofmar
[quote=Mr Super-Hunky]Frycek, It would be an honor to have you participate in our recitals once again. I for one am specifically requesting that you participate in our future recitals. The nonsense in the past is over.

Will there not be any nonsense in the future?
How dissapointing

I'm sure with a drama queen like me around some nonsense can be arranged.

[Linked Image]
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission