2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Teodor Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Hi, this is not exactly on topic and yet it is very much so. I urge you, if you haven't already to look into Robert Greene's book "Mastery".

I have posted a blog article in relation to it which you might find interesting. In one of the first chapters he talks about genius and how it's often misinterpreted as something bestowed by the gods. Something unattainable for the normal person. Is that necessarily the case? Over the past few years I've changed my views on that.

You can read a short "essay" about it on in my new blog.

I wish you all a great and inspired new week full of challenges to overcome!

Last edited by Teodor; 04/27/13 05:43 AM.

[Linked Image]
Recitals:[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
inspiring thoughts

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
I should get that book. Give it a read.
There are others who talk of the same thing. They've studied it. How to obtain this.
One way of looking at Mastery is called Flow. I have a Coach who speaks of this very much. Also a book I read from a piano teacher talks of Flow. I've mentioned the name a few times, it's: The Art of Practicing Piano.

I listened to the piece you did where you experienced flow. Congratulations.

I can't agree with you more. People really should know that they can obtain this. I also think that people can discover true riches in life that money can't buy. If they chase after money and wanting. That works against their ever discovering this.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
There is something in long distance running called "the zone" where you enter into a state of your running/breathing feeling effortless. Sounds very similar to what you are discussing here about "the flow".

There are a few things you need if you want to get into "the zone", you need to be very fit, tiredness also helps but importantly it is the ability to be able to clear your mind of junk thoughts and almost but not quite meditate.

So if you ever hear someone ask a runner why they do it, don't believe anything they say unless they say they are addicted to "the zone" for it is sweet heaven.

I believe piano is an endurance activity, snd one day I will have "the flow"...............in the meantime where do I buy it.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Teodor Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Yes I am familiar with the term, it's also used in other sports. When you are in the zone you feel like anything is possible. Not even feel, but rather know. Everything you do is very effective and any problems that usually make you stumble now just add to the excitement as you conquer them seemingly with no effort.

Originally Posted by earlofmar

I believe piano is an endurance activity, snd one day I will have "the flow"...............in the meantime where do I buy it.

I am also often times (most of the time) in the same mindset but it's all in the realm of wishful thinking. One day is now, and it matters only what you will do today to get closer to your goal. Not one day. One day may otherwise never come.

[Linked Image]
R

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Teodor
... One day is now, and it matters only what you will do today to get closer to your goal. Not one day. One day may otherwise never come.

That's so true.
Where we truly begin is in disciplining our autonomic mind/nervous system. If you honestly look at your life. So much of that runs our hearts. It should be the other way around. Our heart/mind running our autonomic (base existence mind).
This also extends to our lifestyle.

My Coach has used the example of an extremely successful Wall Street Broker. Does fantastic for his clients. He doesn't know why? He knows he loves his job. The day flies by for him. He experiences Flow in his job.

We can start by enjoying the journey. Don't wait for tomorrow. Know that all our problems, difficulties in learning piano. They are part of enjoying it. Overcome them. Look forward to working on them, now.

Ron
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Thanks for the book recommendation. The nature vs. nurture debate (talent vs. hard work) has been rehashed too many times on the forum. It is unusual for a person to change their views. Mostly the debates start with a casual remark like the one being made here. However, soon enough the old feuds are resumed and it quickly becomes people metaphorically shouting at the top of their lungs, repeating the same points, pointing to the same evidence over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. So lets not go there again folks.

If not for the sake of the forum, then for the original poster. He has a sonata to learn and less than four weeks to complete the task.

Rule #1: no one wins an argument on the Internet.

Last edited by Sand Tiger; 04/27/13 11:18 AM.
Teodor Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I don't feel like arguing about it either. Just recommending a book one can only benefit from. Gaining knowledge on as many topic can only be useful to developing our brain, I think we ought to be open to new ideas, as many of them as possible, so we can develop our ability to think for ourselves and decide what's better for us personally.

I accept the other view that to be really really good you need a ton of talent and no amount of work can compensate. But for me it's detrimental to embrace the idea. Why put limits on yourself from the start. Play a few years and see for yourself what you can and cannot achieve.
Time for day 4 of the sonata project smile

Last edited by Teodor; 04/27/13 12:28 PM.

[Linked Image]
R

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
Gee.... I went to work. Came back. And this somehow turned into something else?
I hope one of my comments didn't get off track.
I hope I didn't make anyone think you cannot achieve Mastery/Flow. You just need to know how. Some stumble on how to do it. They don't even know it.

Ron

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission