Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2072103 - 04/27/13 12:48 PM Chord player software program
LittleTyke Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire, England
Before I "reinvent" the wheel, I have a need for a chord player program for a standard Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7 desktop PC. I'll get to the preferred specification in a moment, but please first look at this mock-up I've made:
http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/mock-up.jpg

Right, so the idea is as follows:

User (e.g. me) plays a note on the keyboard by clicking with the mouse.

The corresponding note appears on the staff.

The next note builds a chord with the first. The mock-up shows a chord comprising four notes.

Each time a new note is added to the staff, it sounds (e.g. through MIDI) so that user has audible confirmation.

To hear the whole chord, click the requisite button. The chord must play immediately. If the chord is changed (see below), the new chord must also be heard immediately the button is clicked. Thus, I place a few notes on to the staff, click Play Chord, modify the chord, click again, and so on and through a process of trial and error I arrive at the chord I'm trying to match when listening to a recording.

To change the chord, highlight (with the mouse) one of the notes and drag/drop it to a different staff line. Again, the note is sounded each time it is repositioned. Alternatively, the whole chord is re-sounded each time a note is repositioned.

Notes should be removable, e.g. highlight note and press Delete button on PC keyboard.

Now, the big question is: Has something like this already been produced? I have the various components from my Tunefinder program and other programs to create this new one, but we're talking about weeks of programming here, as it's not a trivial task.

Thanks!

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#2085048 - 05/19/13 04:27 AM Re: Chord player software program [Re: LittleTyke]
timtopham Offline

Loc: Brunswick, VIC
I don't think anything that specific has been developed, however there are some iPad apps that do similar things:

1. Tenuto has a "Chord Calculator" feature - specify a bottom note and the type of chord you want to build above that note. Click on it to play it or click any of the buttons below to adjust and hear the difference. It also has an "Analysis Calculator" - useful for things like figured bass and harmonic analysis.

2. I think Piano Note Pro might accept MIDI input to test notes and chords that are shown on the screen.

Perhaps a combination of these apps could be a good starting point for your research!
Melbourne Australia

#2091390 - 05/29/13 01:07 PM Re: Chord player software program [Re: LittleTyke]
LittleTyke Offline

I have now completed my new application, VuChord, having not found anything suitable for a Windows PC. Read about it on my web page at http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/lt/html/vuchord.html. You can download the application from http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/lt/VuChord.zip. There is no installation procedure (apart from the public domain music font). The Readme.rtf file explains everything. It also includes a feedback link if you have any comments, suggestions or gripes. Or you can add a reply to this thread!

Moderators: Please feel free to move this thread to a different forum if you think the 'Teacher' forum is not appropriate.

#2092728 - 05/31/13 09:15 AM Re: Chord player software program [Re: LittleTyke]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
What is the purpose of the application? I'm having trouble understanding what the practical use would be.

(Put another way, if one wanted to know what a collection of notes sounded like, why not just play them on a keyboard?)
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#2093134 - 05/31/13 10:50 PM Re: Chord player software program [Re: LittleTyke]
LittleTyke Offline

Kreisler, if you go to this page in the Piano World Forums:
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1136799/3.html and scroll down to my post dated 1st Feb 2010, you'll see a link to my first attempt at transcribing an old recording of Charlie Kunz's playing style. I used the Widi Soft Audio to MIDI Converter software to do this. The raw transcription wasn't too good, with hundreds of stray notes as Widi tried to make sense of the various overtones in the mp3, so I edited the resultant MIDI file heavily in a music notation application to remove or modify some of Widi's wilder guesswork.

There's still a lot of improvement needed and to do that I need to analyse some of the chord progressions in as fine a detail as possible.

And thus I hit upon the idea of VuChord. It's a project that has been on the back burner for three years, then last October a heart attack intervened, and then triple bypass surgery in March 2013. Now that I'm well on the road to recovery, I thought I'd resurrect that project, and thus VuChord finally sees the light of day! It's very much a prototype, but it is already helping quite a bit with the transcriptions.

There may be other applications out there for the modern iPad/iPhone-type gizmos, but I don't possess one of those. I only have Desktop PCs and extensive searching in Google didn't reveal any other app that was suitable.

Further enhancements to VuChord would include:
- Building a progression from several sequential chords.
- Copying the chord(s) to a music notation program, e.g. Finale.
- Saving a chord progression so that one could work on it again later.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
U.S. Treasury Auctioning Steinway Art Case Concert Grand
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
71 registered (36251, bennevis, AndrewJCW, angga888, beeboss, 20 invisible), 1250 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75487 Members
42 Forums
156081 Topics
2292029 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is it worth upgrading to a 7200 RPM hard disk?
by CarloPiano
Today at 05:04 AM
Another Improvisation
by Polyphonist
Today at 02:55 AM
4/4 measure in 3/4 time?
by caters
Today at 01:10 AM
Mac mini for software pianos?
by Mta88
Today at 01:10 AM
Installed an LX system on my Baldwin C
by SpectrumMan
Today at 12:04 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission