Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2072304 - 04/27/13 05:26 PM How to Charge for Cancellation-full price or half price?
P.M. Offline

Not sure what to do on this one, just had a student cancel because they forgot to cancel and were outside playing, etc. I told them I would charge, did not say how much yet. Do I charge half or all of the lesson?

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2072307 - 04/27/13 05:31 PM Re: How to Charge for Cancellation-full price or half price? [Re: P.M.]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Full price.

Polyphonist

#2072324 - 04/27/13 06:08 PM Re: How to Charge for Cancellation-full price or half price? [Re: P.M.]
pianopaws Offline

Loc: North Carolina, USA
Do you have a studio policy sheet that addresses issues such as this? If not, it might be a good idea.

#2072362 - 04/27/13 07:00 PM Re: How to Charge for Cancellation-full price or half price? [Re: P.M.]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
Full price. Not your fault they forgot.

#2072400 - 04/27/13 08:12 PM Re: How to Charge for Cancellation-full price or half price? [Re: P.M.]
Bluoh Offline

Loc: Canada
To prevent this from happening again in the future, a studio policy sheet would be useful. (I think most teachers here would suggest full price.)

Personally, I think it depends on the student/parent; if it's their first time missing their lesson, and they've been with me for a long time, then sometimes I let it slide and just charge less. I do have a studio policy written out but there are exceptions to everything in my book (although I make sure that very few people know about the exceptions).

#2072401 - 04/27/13 08:14 PM Re: How to Charge for Cancellation-full price or half price? [Re: Minniemay]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: northern California
Originally Posted By: Minniemay
Full price. Not your fault they forgot.

Absolutely! Recently I had a parent of two students call me 2 hours after lessons her kids were scheduled for. They forgot to come to the lessons. Mom asked if I would "credit her for the no-shows". No.

#2072470 - 04/27/13 10:24 PM Re: How to Charge for Cancellation-full price or half price? [Re: P.M.]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
If this is the first time, you may have a serious talk with them and state that your policy is to charge them for no-shows. However, you can let it slide, but in the future you will have to charge them for the time you were there ready to teach.

If this is not the first time, then charge them for the full lesson.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2072524 - 04/27/13 11:44 PM Re: How to Charge for Cancellation-full price or half price? [Re: P.M.]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
"They forgot to cancel and were outside playing" suggests other problems you will have to consider, either now or in the bigger picture of your teaching studio. It suggests you are dealing with students who are not committed to learning the piano, don't take you seriously, and feel they can miss lessons at the drop of a hat.

You can charge half for a missed lesson, you can charge two-thirds, you can charge full fare, you can charge double or triple. You can do whatever you wish. Most of us charge full fare, but if you have no explicit studio policy in place to back you up, you might lose a student over this.

You could simply offer to make up the lesson, if you want to be a nice guy this first time.

#2074452 - 04/30/13 06:57 PM Re: How to Charge for Cancellation-full price or half price? [Re: P.M.]
Bluoh Offline

Exactly, you have to consider that you might lose a student over this if you don't have a written policy to back you up.

#2074463 - 04/30/13 07:20 PM Re: How to Charge for Cancellation-full price or half price? [Re: P.M.]
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

With a policy, you should consider collecting for the month up front, then if they no-show, you have already been paid. For some reason, it's harder for people to pay for the missed lesson after the fact.

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA

#2074489 - 04/30/13 08:16 PM Re: How to Charge for Cancellation-full price or half price? [Re: Stanny]
Bluoh Offline

Originally Posted By: Stanny
With a policy, you should consider collecting for the month up front, then if they no-show, you have already been paid. For some reason, it's harder for people to pay for the missed lesson after the fact.

It's probably because they know that they're paying full price for a lesson they didn't take. If it's in the policy then it's justified, but it's still hard because we're hard-wired to think that we get something in return when we pay for something. It gets to be like a fine, which none of us like paying for anyways.

#2074600 - 04/30/13 11:30 PM Re: How to Charge for Cancellation-full price or half price? [Re: Bluoh]
AaronD Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Up front monthly is a good way to do it if you're pretty solid on a make-up policy or just have none at all. My problem is that some parents always push for make-ups when they miss, and too often, I'm too nice frown. I fit them in when I can, but inevitably, can't fit them all in, then parents end up thinking I owe them or like Bluoh said, I'm fining them...I need to be more strict/clear with that.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
This is punny
by Tango Vic
Yesterday at 11:58 PM
A brisk Fall day, a room to myself, and a large piano.
by TwoSnowflakes
Yesterday at 08:07 PM
Mixer for live-use
by Auver
Yesterday at 06:24 PM
Question on Kawai CA65 functions
by ColinDS
Yesterday at 04:30 PM
40 year old self-taught in love with Bach - What to do?
by pinkfloydhomer
Yesterday at 04:23 PM
Who's Online
62 registered (beeboss, angga888, András Lieber, Beemer, 15 invisible), 1069 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76591 Members
42 Forums
158373 Topics
2325577 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission