2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (benkeys, Burkhard, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, 3 invisible), 1,334 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
OP Offline
M

The best reply you can give is to work with anything that is pertinent. If it's "Concentrate on the task and ignore the teacher." then try doing that and see what happens. If it improves things then you know you have one solution. If it doesn't, then you know it wasn't on track.

Studying an instrument by and large involves working on smaller, ordinary seeming tasks one by one - such as not flubbing that C# in D major or concentrating on lifting the pedal at the right time. Broad concepts and how we feel about things both do play a role, but the way to actually move forward is through the concrete. So anyone with some experience will be looking for actions and results (positive and negative).

Yeah your right I was definitely looking for some concrete advice later on anyways. I think at first I wanted to have an emotional release . :p I wanted some concepts. 'M a scientist me likes concepts. About that "try to ignore the teacher" I'm a bit shy to show my interest.

(Btw, I'm reading these in order and am about 2 pages back right now.)

Yes thank you, take your time.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by keystring
Originally Posted by Musiqientist

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Having learned the importance of counting these things from Polyphonist - I think it's 18, but my eyesight is bad.

You are correct. ha

And what's more, you don't need good eyesight to count them: simply copy and paste them into some random text box (a document you can edit, a browser window, the "Quick Reply" window on PW) and then put your cursor at the end of the row and count how many times you press the delete key before all of them are gone. grin (I'm a genius, right? ha )

Regards,

Polyphonist
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Polyphonist

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Having learned the importance of counting these things from Polyphonist - I think it's 18, but my eyesight is bad.

You are correct. ha

And what's more, you don't need good eyesight to count them: simply copy and paste them into some random text box (a document you can edit, a browser window, the "Quick Reply" window on PW) and then put your cursor at the end of the row and count how many times you press the delete key before all of them are gone. grin (I'm a genius, right? ha )

Are you still sleepy and cranky?

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are correct. ha

No, I'm trying to think of something to say that others haven't already said. Maybe I'll just make a compilation of tidbits from other people's posts. ha

By the way, where did you get that I was cranky? ha

Regards,

Polyphonist
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L

NONO!!!! I mean in love like a crush!!!!!

Elementary, my dear! And at risk of repeating myself, I offer you my felicitations! Perfectly normal, and very encouraging. In all sincerity, I am very happy for you. Music is about human relationships, about communication. Music is love. With this teacher the door to music has opened for you ... don't be a ninny and push it shut. Place your entire confidence in this woman.

It is very important, don't lose courage. You need courage in life, you know.

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Isn't it rude to talk like that even if say I was leaving? No goodbye, no questions? Nothing?

No it wasn't rude at all. It was you, the rude one, playing the capricious little gifted teenager. She called your bratty bluff!

I'm telling you, this lady sounds great to me. Hang on tight, kiddo!

M
OP Offline
M

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are correct. ha

No, I'm trying to think of something to say that others haven't already said. Maybe I'll just make a compilation of tidbits from other people's posts. ha

By the way, where did you get that I was cranky? ha

I was just kidding mr. Grouch. Hehehe

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by landorrano
[quote=Musiqientist]

NONO!!!! I mean in love like a crush!!!!!

Elementary, my dear!

What does that mean!!!

And at risk of repeating myself, I offer you my felicitations! Perfectly normal, and very encouraging. In all sincerity, I am very happy for you. Music is about human relationships, about communication. Music is love.

No that was what I thought you weren't answering my question!!! I mean like romantic love because its not normal to want to smooch a 65 year old!!!! And I don't know if that's what they mean by clutch!!!

With this teacher the door to music has opened for you ... don't be a ninny and push it shut. Place your entire confidence in this woman.

It is very important, don't lose courage. You need courage in life, you know.

Wasn't planning on doing otherwise...

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by landorrano
Isn't it rude to talk like that even if say I was leaving? No goodbye, no questions? Nothing?

No it wasn't rude at all. It was you, the rude one, playing the capricious little gifted teenager. She called your bratty bluff!

I'm telling you, this lady sounds great to me. Hang on tight, kiddo!

Wasn't playing anything!! I was gonna stop and I really did have difficult circumstances. And how did she know? Don't all music teachers have goodbye lessons? I think she did with some other students. You know...or something. What make you think she was playing me? I've been wondering about that forever.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Concentrate on your music. Concentrate on specific things in your music as you practice and as you play in front of your teacher. If you do that everything else falls into place (assuming a decent teacher). Do not concentrate on the teacher or what the teacher is thinking. Do not worry about "being" a good musician, appearing to be a good musician, appearing to be a musician with promise, appearing to be a musician with no promise because you started late. Musicians don't spend any time "being". They spend their time "doing". Concentrate on doing the music. Begin with whatever your teacher has stressed. If you want to have a relationship, have that relationship with your work and your music.

And with that I'm done.

M
OP Offline
M
Concentrate on your music. Concentrate on specific things in your music as you practice and as you play in front of your teacher. If you do that everything else falls into place (assuming a decent teacher). Do not concentrate on the teacher or what the teacher is thinking. Do not worry about "being" a good musician, appearing to be a good musician, appearing to be a musician with promise, appearing to be a musician with no promise because you started late. Musicians don't spend any time "being". They spend their time "doing". Concentrate on doing the music. Begin with whatever your teacher has stressed. If you want to have a relationship, have that relationship with your work and your music.

And with that I'm done.

Ok thank you for your help. Would you say it's not good to have a relationship? You seem against it.

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
There's like 2 of those issues where I might not post here and just go to a psych but so,e of them like which instrument to specialize in are gonna be here. I don't think chances are that a psych knows things like that.

People here tend to answer the questions for which they have some expertise.

These answers are going to be good ones, mostly, because a lot of people here are pretty competent.

But in your case, the personal issues may be a bigger obstacle than the musical ones at this stage in your life. I think you may have to deal with them first. You can let the musical studies continue while you put other priorities where they belong. See the psych.

gotta go practice
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by TimR
[quote=Musiqientist]There's like 2 of those issues where I might not post here and just go to a psych but so,e of them like which instrument to specialize in are gonna be here. I don't think chances are that a psych knows things like that.

People here tend to answer the questions for which they have some expertise.

These answers are going to be good ones, mostly, because a lot of people here are pretty competent.

I noticed.

But in your case, the personal issues may be a bigger obstacle than the musical ones at this stage in your life. I think you may have to deal with them first. You can let the musical studies continue while you put other priorities where they belong. See the psych.

You mean like affects of adolescence or that I just appear to have a lot of issues. It's just... I see people discussing personal things on here and other forums all the time. I will see a psych when I make time to schedule and appointment and when I finish 25 units of college....... My heads turning.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]

Well, not really.

[Linked Image]

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
[Linked Image]

Well, not really.

[Linked Image]

What was nice about it to begin with.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member

[Linked Image]

Exactly.

[Linked Image]

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by AZNpiano

[Linked Image]

Exactly.

[Linked Image]

Oh so the earlier commend were all sarcasm? Sorry I'm a scientist + have no friends and therefore have no social skills. :pp

Are you azn then?

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
I mean like romantic love because its not normal to want to smooch a 65 year old!!!!

Good morning.

There is nothing wrong with that. You want to think of yourself as "not normal"? Well, silly but nothing wrong with that either! I disagree with TimR's and others' statements that you have personal issues and that you need to see a psych. All that you write sounds fine to me. You seem like a great kid, and I'm happy to know you!

And I don't know if that's what they mean by clutch!!!

I also don't know what they mean by "clutch" !

Last edited by landorrano; 04/28/13 05:20 AM.
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L

Wasn't playing anything!!

Yes you were, and to me it appears that you still are ... and if there is any obstacle to your progress, there it is!

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L

And with that I'm done.

I agree heartily with Keystring's statements and I am happy to repeat them.

Except for the following:

If you want to have a relationship, have that relationship with your work and your music.

You do have a relationship with your teacher, and to me it sounds like a great relationship. She will let you know the day that there is a problem.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission