Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2072575 - 04/28/13 01:12 AM New adult learner checking in...
Mr. Square Offline

Loc: Kalifornia
Hi all:

I have been lurking here for some time now and thought it time to introduce myself. Great forum you have here and I'm really enjoying reading the posts here.

I'm new to piano of course, but I have played guitar for 35 years. Played is the operative word. I have played at it, but never seriously pursued it.

It was a recent interest in recording that led me to buy a 25 key controller and that in turn led to an interest in a Yamaha YPG-635 that I had purchased years before for my kids. In the end (or in this beginning) I purchased a new Boston 118E PE. I have just finished my second official lesson and I could not be happier with the progress I've made so far.

So, I just wanted to say hi and show off a picture. Back to lurk mode until I have a few more lessons under my belt.

I love the Boston by the way. I chose it over a new Yamaha U3. The sound of the Boston just really spoke to me.

Edited by Mr. Square (04/28/13 01:15 AM)

Open Arms
Primavera -Ludovico Einaudi

Adult beginner since April Fool's Day 2013. Seems quite apropos at times...

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2072584 - 04/28/13 01:35 AM Re: New adult learner checking in... [Re: Mr. Square]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Nice piano! I bet you'll love playing it.

Welcome to the funny farm, erm, the ABF smile We're a good bunch and it'll be nice to have you around.

Cathy

#2072588 - 04/28/13 01:42 AM Re: New adult learner checking in... [Re: Mr. Square]
Saranoya Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brussels, Belgium
Hi, Mr. Square!

Welcome to PW, and congratulations on your purchase of the Boston! I have a Boston grand myself (the small one: 156PE). I love it to bits, especially since I had it freshly tuned and somewhat better-regulated yesterday.

No need to go back to lurk mode "until you have a few more lessons under your belt". I know we seem to be all about sharing our music here (and as a matter of fact, as soon as you feel up to it, please do share your music with us, for example in our brand-spanking-new and seriously awesome Ecco Fatto Café). But until then, there are plenty of fun things you can do here without "exposing" yourself too much.

My personal favourite (and the favourite of many here) is the Achievement of the Week thread, where people post their minor victories and, for the most part, get showered with praise and encouragement in response.

Hope to see you there, soon!

Currently Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Burgmüller 100/3, 4, 7, 12, 15, 19, 25
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9

Future
Burgmüller 109
Bartok Sz 56
Mozart K331

#2072645 - 04/28/13 06:07 AM Re: New adult learner checking in... [Re: Mr. Square]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Welcome Mr Square, your piano looks lovely, so maybe we can hear a recording soon?

I too only took up piano recently (mid November 2012) after 40 years of doodling with the guitar. I decided just like you to take the piano a lot more seriously. So welcome, once again, enjoy the ride and don't be shy about asking any questions no matter how stupid you might think they are.

#2072646 - 04/28/13 06:12 AM Re: New adult learner checking in... [Re: Mr. Square]
UK Paul UK Offline

Loc: Berkshire, England
Welcome! You already can post pictures properly so your one up on me! Lovely piano , have a happy journey.

#2072665 - 04/28/13 07:51 AM Re: New adult learner checking in... [Re: Mr. Square]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Holmes Chapel
That bench looks rock hard!

#2072671 - 04/28/13 08:02 AM Re: New adult learner checking in... [Re: Mr. Square]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Welcome to the forum. Don't be shy. No need for lurk mode.

Nice piano. You might think about playing with the distance from the wall. Will get different sound out of the wall. You might even prefer it turned around so nothing is bouncing off the wall. ???

#2072821 - 04/28/13 01:17 PM Re: New adult learner checking in... [Re: Mr. Square]
Mr. Square Offline

Loc: Kalifornia
Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Yes that bench is rather hard...

I will try moving it a bit away from the wall, can't turn it though.

Open Arms
Primavera -Ludovico Einaudi

Adult beginner since April Fool's Day 2013. Seems quite apropos at times...

#2072828 - 04/28/13 01:34 PM Re: New adult learner checking in... [Re: Mr. Square]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
Welcome! I love your piano.

#2072874 - 04/28/13 02:59 PM Re: New adult learner checking in... [Re: Mr. Square]
heathermphotog Offline

Loc: Georgia
Welcome! Enjoy your piano smile

Knabe WMV247
“When you play, never mind who listens to you.” ― Robert Schumann
“The piano ain't got no wrong notes.” ― Thelonious Monk

#2072892 - 04/28/13 03:33 PM Re: New adult learner checking in... [Re: Mr. Square]
ElleC Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Welcome Mr. Square and lovely piano. Looking forward to hear you play your new Boston. You should know that the people here are very encouraging and friendly so no need to go back to lurking smile

#2072932 - 04/28/13 04:31 PM Re: New adult learner checking in... [Re: Mr. Square]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Beautiful piano Mr. Square. Welcome to the best forum on the web.

Just be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

#2073261 - 04/29/13 03:40 AM Re: New adult learner checking in... [Re: Mr. Square]
Dulcetta Offline

Loc: U.K.
hiya and welcome from another recent beginner.
Lovely piano and I agree with a PP, no need to lurk and even the smallest achievements are encouraged and given support in the AOTW thread.

#2073265 - 04/29/13 04:06 AM Re: New adult learner checking in... [Re: Mr. Square]
Kristina1 Offline

Loc: UK
Hello, Mr. Square and Welcome.
I like your piano very much because it looks so very practical when you are able to open the top for a louder sound (when the neighbours are away) or close it for a quiet sound (very practical if one lives in a flat with neighbours around...)
I am also an adult beginner but I have never played any other instrument and have started from scratch to read music and play the piano - and I also fell for my piano when I first heard it, it was “love at first sound”, so to speak.

I wish you very good luck with your studies and all the best wishes from Kristina.

#2073631 - 04/29/13 04:30 PM Re: New adult learner checking in... [Re: Mr. Square]
Infinity Offline

Loc: West Orange, NJ
I like the guitar on the wall. Nice touch!
www.pianolessonsnj.com

#2073639 - 04/29/13 04:56 PM Re: New adult learner checking in... [Re: Mr. Square]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
Welcome, Mr Square!

I played a Boston when I was shopping. It sounded great.. nice choice!

Don't hide for too long.

#2073866 - 04/30/13 12:44 AM Re: New adult learner checking in... [Re: Mr. Square]
hamlet cat Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert
I find Mr. Square's use of "Kalifornia" as his location distasteful and offensive. Mr. Square, the proper spelling is California. Perhaps you should learn to spell the state you live in. While you are at it, learn to take some pride in your home. That might make it a better place.

#2073867 - 04/30/13 12:50 AM Re: New adult learner checking in... [Re: Mr. Square]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Notice the ways in which your response differs from everyone else's on the thread.

Polyphonist

#2073999 - 04/30/13 08:30 AM Re: New adult learner checking in... [Re: Mr. Square]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Is the spelling with a 'K' perhaps a little joke?
A nod perhaps to a famous German speaking body builder turned actor turned politician, turned--well, never mind what he turned to next.

wink

#2074001 - 04/30/13 08:32 AM Re: New adult learner checking in... [Re: Mr. Square]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
And I forgot to say:
Welcome!
I think your house looks fine, and I noticed the picture of someone by a famous O, which made me smile.

#2074005 - 04/30/13 08:39 AM Re: New adult learner checking in... [Re: rnaple]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: rnaple
Nice piano. You might think about playing with the distance from the wall. Will get different sound out of the wall. You might even prefer it turned around so nothing is bouncing off the wall. ???

My piano is like this too. Not my choice. I have it as far as I can get from the wall without the missus complaining but she won't have it catty-cornered. One day when I win the lottery I will have a music room with a big grand and pay for someone to design the perfect acoustics. Until then, I live with it.

Oh, I need to start playing the lottery for that to happen too ... wink

Kawai K3

#2074320 - 04/30/13 03:53 PM Re: New adult learner checking in... [Re: Mr. Square]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Liverpool, England
Quote:
My piano is like this too. Not my choice. I have it as far as I can get from the wall without the missus complaining but she won't have it catty-cornered. One day when I win the lottery I will have a music room with a big grand and pay for someone to design the perfect acoustics. Until then, I live with it.

Oh, I need to start playing the lottery for that to happen too ... wink

Welcome Mr Square! Always nice to "meet" another adult beginner like myself. Your piano looks very nice and so does your home.

I too fantasise about winning the lottery and having a music room and another antique piano, maybe a Victorian one to keep Cecil B De Piano ( my Edwardian piano) company.

Yes, I need to get a ticket too, not got one for awhile. Gotta be in it to win it...
And do please join in the achievement of the week thread- be nice to see you there.

Edited by EdwardianPiano (04/30/13 03:53 PM)

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2074422 - 04/30/13 06:09 PM Re: New adult learner checking in... [Re: Mr. Square]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
note to self........never post a photo of my piano area in this forum. I would probably will get ordered to clean it up.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Fulfillment- a story in episodes:
by PhilipInChina
Today at 12:44 AM
First time digital piano buyer
by Frames
Yesterday at 10:58 PM
Yamaha U3 - How old is too old?
by Yekul
Yesterday at 09:53 PM
Digital Vs. Acoustic is apples and oranges so far
by harpon
Yesterday at 08:40 PM
the sound of unrestored Erards
by Michael Sayers
Yesterday at 08:34 PM
Who's Online
63 registered (Alan_Dublin, alfredo capurso, 0987654321, Anticlock, 15 invisible), 993 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76657 Members
42 Forums
158500 Topics
2327693 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission