Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
124 registered (accordeur, A Guy, 36251, Alan Cyr, Abby Pianoman, 33 invisible), 1523 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2072763 - 04/28/13 11:13 AM Casio Celviano or Privia
lpcmidst128 Offline

Loc: California
I'm deciding between the Casio Celviano AP-250 or AP-450 and the Privia PX-750 or PX-850. I do want a cabinet style digital piano since I want something with a sliding key cover.

The AP-250 and PX-750 have 8 watt speakers while the AP-450 and the PX-850 have 20 watt speakers. Now I'm not going to use the speakers on full blast but would the 20 watt really be that significant of a difference. I use mostly headphones for practicing in the evening and I don't turn it up that much when I use speakers anyways.

I've tried out the PX-150 and PX-350 in store and I like the action as well as the sound. They had the older Celviano which I tried as well which sounded more dark and muffled to me. Since the new Celviano and Privia are based on the same sound source and keybed so I have a general idea how it feels. I will most likely buy it online. I was able to find the AP-250 online but seems to be available in brown only. And the AP-450 can't seem to find it online yet. Between the PX-750 and PX-850 seems like the significant different is 8 vs 20 watt speakers, not sure if its worth the price difference.

Any comments appreciated, thanks.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Click Here

#2072800 - 04/28/13 12:52 PM Re: Casio Celviano or Privia [Re: lpcmidst128]
two2the8 Offline

I have the 750, and I can say that the speakers are a bit lacklustre. I haven't tried the 850, but along with the bigger (maybe better?) speakers there are a few other differences that I suspect probably make it worth the extra money. I think if I had it to do over again I would go with the 450 – it seems to have all that the 850 has plus a decent cabinet. All that said, I'm not unhappy with the 750, or at least not unhappy enough to do much about it. It doesn't give me a WOW feeling, but it does what it needs to.

#2072827 - 04/28/13 01:33 PM Re: Casio Celviano or Privia [Re: lpcmidst128]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Holmes Chapel
The 850 varies a bit more than just the watts.

Its got a lid simulator 256 polyphony, release velocity, and apparently a continuous sustain pedal, while others have on/off or on/off/half.

Edited by justpin (04/28/13 01:37 PM)

#2073504 - 04/29/13 02:17 PM Re: Casio Celviano or Privia [Re: lpcmidst128]
Clumsy Offline

Loc: Bangkok, Thailand
I've tried the PX-750 at a store and sorta like it, except that it lacks some "punch" when I want it. I don't use headphones so the sound direct from the speaker has to be "pretty good". I plan to try the AP-450 either on Thursday or Friday as it has just arrived yesterday at the store and has not been set up. Will try it to see if the price difference is worth it.

#2074909 - 05/01/13 10:17 AM Re: Casio Celviano or Privia [Re: lpcmidst128]
Clumsy Offline

Just tried the AP-450 today.

Very nice for the price.

I'm buying it in three weeks. Let me finish with my work project first, otherwise it's having the piano at home and I won't be home to play.

#2075078 - 05/01/13 03:06 PM Re: Casio Celviano or Privia [Re: lpcmidst128]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
You`ll have heard the 450 on youtube; sounds pretty good. I tried to hear Casio pianos a couple o` days ago. But the shop had closed down 5 years earlier . . .

""

#2075764 - 05/02/13 10:15 AM Re: Casio Celviano or Privia [Re: lpcmidst128]
Clumsy Offline

It's not just the sound, it's the touch that's "really good".

My story goes like this: I've set my choice on the CN-24 for months now. Two weeks ago I took my brother along to the test the PX-750 and the CN-24 at the show room. (They didn't have the AP-450 at the time). Now, my brother is a professional pianist and a piano teacher, he tried both and recommends the PX-750 although the sound power was sorta lacking in comparison with the CN-24. The CN-24, however, sounded "too sharp" and somewhat "pingy". As I said earlier I don't use headphones so the piano's speakers had better give me a decent sound quality.

And not just the sound, the touch on the PX-750 was very good too and he even prefers it over the CN-24. Now, I'm no where as good as my brother, so I wouldn't dare argue with a professional pianist about his opinions on pianos.

The AP-450 has the same touch as the PX-750 but with better "fire-power" and can deliver the punch when I want it. The AP-450 would also look better for my new home and it's only about US$ 250 more than the PX-750 while the CN-24 would be about US$ 600 more. And I get to pay for the AP-450 in 10 installments, 0% interest. Obviously, a no-brainer decision.

I did a little test, too. The decay on the AP-450 (and PX-750) is longer than the CN-24 by about 2 seconds. A non-scientific test, I turned up the pianos to full volume, both with and without the headphone, banged on the middle-C, both holding down the key and using the sustain pedal. I did this for a couple of times and concluded the test.

#2080023 - 05/09/13 08:40 PM Re: Casio Celviano or Privia [Re: lpcmidst128]
lpcmidst128 Offline

Loc: California
Thanks for all the feedback.

I ended up getting the PX-850. I was deciding between the PX-850 and the AP-450. I wanted a cabinet like design but not too bulky so went with the PX-850. So far I am very satisfied with it. Quite a big improvement over the PX-120 I used to have.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
1875 legs and lyre where to get?
by Klavimaniac
14 minutes 16 seconds ago
"It Don't mean A Thing (If it Ain't...
by prout
Today at 04:43 PM
Yamaha CP33?
by Possum SP280Krome
Today at 04:16 PM
E4 Just Won't Come Into Tune
by Cobra1365
Today at 03:49 PM
10k budget for a piano in SW Ontario
by bogdan101
Today at 03:47 PM
Forum Stats
77071 Members
42 Forums
159405 Topics
2341602 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission