Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
126 registered (accordeur, anotherscott, 36251, 38 invisible), 1449 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2072896 - 04/28/13 03:36 PM Do you protect yourself against students dropping in May?
WadeCottingham Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
Most years, for the last 12 years this has happened only rarely. This year, four families at once dropped out for the month of May (a couple of them are just now letting me know here at the end of April).

I bill for May at the end of April, and very possibly cannot immediately fill these slots, so this is probably lost revenue for May.

Do you bill 2 months in advance? Do you somehow contract for the whole school year? Do you require 30 days notice for drops?

thanks in advance for help in answering my 3rd recent question about how you do things in your studio smile I am having to revamp my policies and I appreciate your comments and insight.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2072920 - 04/28/13 04:18 PM Re: Do you protect yourself against students dropping in May? [Re: WadeCottingham]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Wade, there are many ways to protect yourself. You can institute a one month early withdrawal fee; you can charge tuition. There are many others. I use the annual tuition fee, so my monthly statements always show the balance due. Actually, this method eliminates a lot of less serious families.

I believe several teachers here charge a quarterly fee, payable at the beginning of the quarter, so that if they pay in April, they've paid through June.

Good luck.

John

#2072939 - 04/28/13 04:45 PM Re: Do you protect yourself against students dropping in May? [Re: WadeCottingham]
dumdumdiddle Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
When I changed from charging tuition monthly to charging by the semester, it eliminated parents taking the infamous 'December break' and also quitting the last month of my school year. My tuition is a yearly fee, divided into 4 payments that are due in Sep, Nov, Jan and April.

Also, for those who used to take a break for a month or so (so they'd get out paying tuition in December, when we have only 2-3 lessons), I consider that withdrawing from the program. Should they decide to return in January they must re-enroll and pay a new enrollment fee.

I require a 30-day notice to withdraw from lessons.

My parents are typically excited about recitals; they won't drop if there's a recital coming up.

And lastly (but I probably should have said this in the beginning), I view and discuss with parents the concept of enrolling in lessons for the school year. We start in Sep; we end in June. That's our year. The mentality is different and parents don't usually opt to just drop whenever they want.

#2073237 - 04/29/13 12:56 AM Re: Do you protect yourself against students dropping in May? [Re: WadeCottingham]
Candywoman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Are you planning on allowing any of these families to re-enroll?

#2073344 - 04/29/13 08:34 AM Re: Do you protect yourself against students dropping in May? [Re: WadeCottingham]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I do require 30 day's notice for drops. The reason for this is mostly because sometimes parents will get fed up at home and not talk to me then I get blind-sided with no notice, no opportunity for me to help them solve the problem. Having this in place can help open lines of communication: how can I possibly know what goes on at home from a short 45 minutes per week with the student? But many parents don't think to bring me into the discussion, perhaps they feel it's more of a disciplinary issue, or perhaps they are embarrassed. But neither attitude solves the problem. I usually do not have a problem for May, although some high school seniors tend to get very forgetful about their lessons at this time.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2073560 - 04/29/13 03:17 PM Re: Do you protect yourself against students dropping in May? [Re: Morodiene]
Joyce_dup1 Offline

Loc: Chicago
Comments posted regarding setting a policy are all well-stated. I'd just to add that I also explain, in a written policy, that tuition is averaged over the full year and that the monthly rate reflects that averaged amount. Therefore, each month is the same rate, regardless of how many lessons occur in that month. Also, if I choose to offer an extra lesson (for upcoming competition or performance, for example), that is also included in the monthly fee. I also require 30 days' notice to stop lessons. If they are stopping for a certain period (a leave of absence), they must pay in advance for the month that they expect to return. Without that advance payment, I will not hold open a lesson slot. It is still not fair since the fee is averaged over the year, but it does help to keep students (the primary objective).

#2073876 - 04/30/13 01:19 AM Re: Do you protect yourself against students dropping in May? [Re: Morodiene]
WadeCottingham Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
Thanks so much !!!!

I'm gonna structure it just like the Yoga studio I joined and
then quit a year later... AutoPay by credit card is the primary payment method, and 30 day notice for terminating is in the agreement.

Will I allow these families to re-enroll?
This will take care of itself. Their exodus
has shown me the need for the 30 day
termination policy. If/when they re-apply,
it will be first-come, first serve regarding scheduling.
I don't expect them back. I need to concentrate on
my core mission of serving those who DO keep coming back!

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Experienced pianist: digital piano to "replace" grand
by integris
12/18/14 05:39 PM
why do I suddenly have clacking bass notes
by music32
12/18/14 04:57 PM
Kawai Digital Piano
by Deegs23
12/18/14 03:28 PM
A new clip of the great Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
12/18/14 01:41 PM
A new clip of the great Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
12/18/14 01:38 PM
Forum Stats
77340 Members
42 Forums
159960 Topics
2349165 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission