2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, Calavera, 10 invisible), 1,197 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
OP Offline
B
Posted in wrong forum. Sorry for duplicate.

Hey Guys,

First time poster but have been reading all your excellent advice.

I have just paid for a ca65 from a shop that is closing down and got it for a good price but I am wondering if I should have paid the extra money.

Can anybody who has experience of both these pianos tell me why I should pay the extra money?

Thanks in advance.

Bannywhey.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I have owned the 63 93 and now the 95. First off, budget. Second, there is little difference from the 95 to the 65 except depth of sound due to the different sound system and sound board. Keyboards are identical. There are another 15-20 things for the 95, but, these are the primary ones. If you will use headphones 95% of the time, you will find no difference between them. If, you want to fill the room with sound, Big Difference.

Search the threads, as, there is alot of info out there, especially the definitive answers from Kawai James.

Either is a good choice. Enjoy your new piano!

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
A Tired, Retired, Dreamer ...
C
C
McBuster has really just about summed it up. The biggest difference between the two pianos is the soundboard system in the CA-95 and a few other bells and whistles (more sounds, more demo songs etc.). If you plan to mainly stick with headphones while playing, there is little reason for you to spend more money than you already have.

Have fun with your new piano. smile

-- Zbynek N.

Learning to play the piano since 06/2013 on a Kawai CA-95.

Music is what feelings sound like. ~ Author Unknown
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I was originally going to get the CA65, but when I managed to try both of them next to each other in a shop, I was taken aback by just how much difference in the sound there is.

Just the same story and dilemma.

And the difference was not only due to the added "vibration" but even with lower volume the CA95's sound was much more clear and natural. (Previously I thought to hear out some slitely more clarity through HPs, but this possibility was ruled out by KJ saying that with the same setting there cannot be any differences.)

And it came even worse now: I have to admit, that I feel strongly tempted by the CS10.

It looks noble, much-much better the commercial mass of DPs, music rest solution is much better too (for me especially for neck problems). And yes, I can see some potential economical benefits: a CA95 is technically on the top, but I expect a relatively more retail value and demand due to this distinguished look of the CS10
in 5-10 years I will probably resell it.

So I now narrowed down my final decision to CS10 (much desired) vs. CA65 (economical). CA65 has a special advantage for me having somewhat fewer place requirements. (Some 7-10 cm in all dimensions, partly for not having to keep a distance from the wall behind due to the lack of a soundboard...)

The CA65 I'll have to enhance the sound quality with extra amp & boxes solution, which I already have practiced with my previuos DPs too. The question remains if there remains something to improve sound quality with the CA95/CS10, particularly when playing SW-Instruments fed back to the DP ????

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by Temperament
...a CA95 is technically on the top...

Please note that the CA95 and CS10 share essentially the same technical specifications.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I wish I could have waited a while and tried to afford the CS10, it is rather beautiful.

Originally Posted by Kawai James
...a CA95 is technically on the top...
Please note that the CA95 and CS10 share essentially the same technical specifications.

it was 100% clear, my point was, that the same top notch instrument technology in a more or less common DP (CA95) cabinet doesn't LOOK very different than one which is 1/3 of its price and value.

The CS10's stylish look is different. And this might help while reselling the instrument. There are not so many buyers who readily read and understand specs like us on PW, but they all can see at first glimps: this is a instrument of value.

To offer such type of traditionally looking instruments will also play IMHO a catalytic effect for future swap from acoustic to digital - there are enough traditionalist buyer out there....

And finally there are also a lot of applications such as an instrument for public spaces where the prestigious look of an old fashioned piano seems the only possible.

C
C
The polished ebony finish does look very stylish but as for me, I probably couldn't justify spending another 800€ just on that one feature alone.

Come to think of it, maybe I even like the design of the CA pianos more.

Last edited by Clayman; 04/29/13 02:23 PM.

-- Zbynek N.

Well, Clayman most of today's DPs are purpose-built products and they exert the same flair. It might be in your taste or out of it.

And it is not only between different persons, I experienced often such turnarounds in my own opinion and taste in the past.

If it all were never changing, than we would find ourselves pinned down to a repetitive pattern of some habits, like visiting always one single special place every weekend or playing or listening to only one song all the time.

I showed them (CA65/95 and CS10), she promptly told her verdict in her usual reserved manner: "this one (the CS10) looks rather nice".

B
OP Offline
B
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your responses. I took delivery of my CA65 and I positively love it. It's a massive jump up from my Yamaha P80.

I would have loved to have paid the extra £1300 for the CS10 but really could not justify it. I have a new baby on the way so lucky I could have spent the £1725 for the CA65.

I have wooden floors in a big room so it helps with the sound as well.

If you have any questions about the CA65 then I would be more than happy to help.

Bannywhey

Last edited by Bannywhey; 05/01/13 09:59 AM.
Online Content
Bannywhey, congrats on your new arrivals - both now, and in the new future. wink

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Congrats to Your CA65, please share Your experiences after having played it some time (both + and -).

To have a Baby is definitely more a challenging and rewarding event in life than to have a new baby grand. smirk

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
And, some pix ...

Congratulations!

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
A Tired, Retired, Dreamer ...
C
C
Well, Clayman most of today's DPs are purpose-built products and they exert the same flair. It might be in your taste or out of it.

And it is not only between different persons, I experienced often such turnarounds in my own opinion and taste in the past.

If it all were never changing, than we would find ourselves pinned down to a repetitive pattern of some habits, like visiting always one single special place every weekend or playing or listening to only one song all the time.

I showed them (CA65/95 and CS10), she promptly told her verdict in her usual reserved manner: "this one (the CS10) looks rather nice".

Sure, people change all the time and nothing is set in stone when it comes to people's tastes. With that said, I know about myself that I'm usually not one to appreciate "retro" (or "classic" in that regard) design regardless of what it relates to. I can appreciate modern and "not-yet-seen" design more.

Originally Posted by Bannywhey
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your responses. I took delivery of my CA65 and I positively love it. It's a massive jump up from my Yamaha P80.

I would have loved to have paid the extra £1300 for the CS10 but really could not justify it. I have a new baby on the way so lucky I could have spent the £1725 for the CA65.

I have wooden floors in a big room so it helps with the sound as well.

If you have any questions about the CA65 then I would be more than happy to help.

Bannywhey

Originally Posted by Kawai James
Bannywhey, congrats on your new arrivals - both now, and in the new future. wink

Cheers,
James
x

^^^ That! thumb

-- Zbynek N.

Originally Posted by Clayman
Sure, people change all the time and nothing is set in stone when it comes to people's tastes. With that said, I know about myself that I'm usually not one to appreciate "retro" (or "classic" in that regard) design regardless of what it relates to. I can appreciate modern and "not-yet-seen" design more.

I'd like to point out that what I was using in my very practical argumentation that it were above all other people's tastes which I counted on to have a definitive influence on reselling prices.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission