Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#2073441 - 04/29/13 11:45 AM May Day, May Day Piano Bar...
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2073467 - 04/29/13 12:52 PM Re: May Day, May Day Piano Bar... [Re: Mark...]
stumbler Offline

Loc: Toronto
Mark, this sounds like a fun little project.

#2073484 - 04/29/13 01:34 PM Re: May Day, May Day Piano Bar... [Re: Mark...]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Ok, now you have the right notes.

Next, get the timing absolutely perfect.

I would suggest that you put a metronome on and make timing your most important goal.

And, btw ... TIMING IS THE MOST IMPORTANT FEATURE OF THIS TYPE OF MUSIC.

Never sluff over the timing of it. Get it absolutely perfect.

Good Luck

My current system: Kawai ES7 + Focal CMS40 Powered Monitors, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, Mackie ProFX8 Mixer, Ravenscroft275, True Keys American Grand, Ivory II American Concert D, Steinway Basic, Galaxy Vintage D, True Pianos, Pianoteq, Alicia's Keys

#2073515 - 04/29/13 02:32 PM Re: May Day, May Day Piano Bar... [Re: Mark...]
Rickster Online   content

Loc: Georgia, USA
Very nice, Mark.

I'm working on a new, original blues tune entitled "You know you got the blues". smile

Maybe I can record it sometimes this week...

I see the ABF piano bar has been quite popular these days! thumb

Rick

#2073561 - 04/29/13 03:18 PM Re: May Day, May Day Piano Bar... [Re: Mark...]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
Nice! I did an easy version of this song for the last ABF recital! It's a fun song smile

Only thing is... how could you use a metronome with this kind of long-short-long-short rhythm? I just tried to "feel it".

#2073564 - 04/29/13 03:18 PM Re: May Day, May Day Piano Bar... [Re: Rickster]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Rickster
Very nice, Mark.

I'm working on a new, original blues tune entitled "You know you got the blues". smile

Maybe I can record it sometimes this week...

I see the ABF piano bar has been quite popular these days! thumb

Rick

Looking forward to it Rick.

#2073573 - 04/29/13 03:24 PM Re: May Day, May Day Piano Bar... [Re: sinophilia]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: sinophilia
Nice! I did an easy version of this song for the last ABF recital! It's a fun song smile

Only thing is... how could you use a metronome with this kind of long-short-long-short rhythm? I just tried to "feel it".

The book starts out telling you:

When playing jazz, the element of interpretation is key. What is often written on the page is not what is performed. One of the basic rules is to add "swing" to melodies: this means that a series of eight notes are not played straight and even. Rather, they're paired into groups of two, with a delay on the attack of the second note. It's simplest to think of two eight notes as a dotted eight plus a sixteenth.

#2073649 - 04/29/13 05:12 PM Re: May Day, May Day Piano Bar... [Re: Mark...]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

A metronome would work fine with this piece.

There are 4 beats to each measure.

It does not matter what you are playing or how you are playing notes within the measure ... they should take 4 beats.

The first note of each measure should be right on beat ONE.

ONE TWO THREE FOUR ONE TWO THREE FOUR ... ETC ...

Rock solid.

Remember ... whenever you play music and others are listening, they are participating with you by "feeling" the beat ... 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4 ... etc .... If deviate from that pattern, the listener will stop participating and move on to something else.

Most important element of music.

My current system: Kawai ES7 + Focal CMS40 Powered Monitors, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, Mackie ProFX8 Mixer, Ravenscroft275, True Keys American Grand, Ivory II American Concert D, Steinway Basic, Galaxy Vintage D, True Pianos, Pianoteq, Alicia's Keys

#2074332 - 04/30/13 04:08 PM Re: May Day, May Day Piano Bar... [Re: Mark...]
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bulgaria
A great gem I found today. I like playing pieces that are not demanding technically because they allow me to quickly get into the music without having to workout the notes for 2 months. This took a bit over an hour before I felt secure about playing with little to no mistakes.

It's just a page long. If anyone is interested I can scan the sheet music for you. Excuse the weird look on my face, it's because I was focused on the sheet music and the sound at the same time. I always get this expression when I concentrate hard on something smile

And this is a little project of mine. Trying to learn just a bit of all the 60 etudes by Cramer. They are too difficult currently if I want to learn the entire etudes but parts are accessible and teach technique that will accumulate over time.

Edited by Teodor (04/30/13 04:21 PM)

Recitals:

#2074416 - 04/30/13 06:03 PM Re: May Day, May Day Piano Bar... [Re: Mark...]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
nice piece but I could not possibly take on another piece. I have about two years worth of pieces in front of me at the moment, lol

#2075495 - 05/02/13 01:46 AM Re: May Day, May Day Piano Bar... [Re: Mark...]
Saranoya Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brussels, Belgium
I had to slow this down to 92 BPM (which is exactly half the tempo that's indicated on the sheet) before I could get a somewhat clean recording of it (emphasis on somewhat). Obviously, I still have a ways to go with this piece. But I'm posting it here anyway. Because if I don't, I might be tempted to keep working on it, and then submit this instead of the Beethoven to the ABF recital.

(There's another person who has submitted the same piece I did, and I'm kind of scared now that I won't measure up to him!)

Enjoy, if you will smile. And if you don't, well, that wasn't really the point anyway wink.

https://soundcloud.com/saranoya/burgmuller-adieu

Currently Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Burgmüller 100/3, 4, 7, 12, 15, 19, 25
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9

Future
Burgmüller 109
Bartok Sz 56
Mozart K331

#2075629 - 05/02/13 04:26 AM Re: May Day, May Day Piano Bar... [Re: Saranoya]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Saranoya - I don't know the piece so it sounds perfectly fine at this tempo.
Mark - It seems your piece disappeared?
Teodor - Bag cam?

#2075631 - 05/02/13 04:49 AM Re: May Day, May Day Piano Bar... [Re: Mark...]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

This is my first attempt at playing at piece with a ‘solo’/instrumental interlude in it. It took me a while to work it out and play it so figured I’d get something out of my ‘investment’ by sharing it here.

Your mother should know

Couple of dodgy vocal notes here and there. Probably what set the neighbour's dog barking!

#2075720 - 05/02/13 09:01 AM Re: May Day, May Day Piano Bar... [Re: Mark...]
1000 Post Club Member

I've said it before but I'll say it again.....Newman you have a great voice.

#2075744 - 05/02/13 09:42 AM Re: May Day, May Day Piano Bar... [Re: Mark...]
scorpio Offline

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Mark...: I am sorry you deleted your piece, I enjoyed it.
Teodor: As you mention, a great little gem, very nice.
Saranoya: Nicely done. I think the tempo worked great.
Newman: That was fantastic!

Yamaha P-155

#2075753 - 05/02/13 09:53 AM Re: May Day, May Day Piano Bar... [Re: Mark...]
    sinophilia Offline

Woohoo, I have something to post here! It's a super easy arrangement but it was not easy for me to manage those octaves - don't know if you can hear it, but I also tried to highlight the top note. I'll have to learn it with a nicer, more difficult arpeggio in the left hand now.

Downton Abbey Theme

#2075762 - 05/02/13 10:08 AM Re: May Day, May Day Piano Bar... [Re: Mark...]
    ElleC Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
    Saranoya -- you did very well on the Burgmuller. I thought it sounded nice even with half the tempo. I think the dynamics and the phrasing were good and even. You'll get to that tempo soon no worries.

Newman -- nice vocals and piano work as usual. Felt like I was at a local bar listening to live performance smile

Teodor -- sadly, I don't think I can ever play anything with little to no mistakes in an hour unless it's in the caliber of "Mary had a little lamb." You however are very good with that piano. You have an incredible focus.

#2075996 - 05/02/13 03:41 PM Re: May Day, May Day Piano Bar... [Re: ElleC]
    Teodor Offline
    500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bulgaria
    Originally Posted By: ElleC

Teodor -- sadly, I don't think I can ever play anything with little to no mistakes in an hour unless it's in the caliber of "Mary had a little lamb." You however are very good with that piano. You have an incredible focus.

Thank you. Don't worry about that right now. I am nothing special, I take ages to learn things, but you will come to a point when certain pieces can be learned pretty fast because your general level of mastery on the piano will increase over time. You've only been playing a few months, so who knows what you can do in a couple of years from now if you stick with it. smile

Recitals:

#2076031 - 05/02/13 04:41 PM Re: May Day, May Day Piano Bar... [Re: Mark...]
    1000 Post Club Member

Sinophilia, your Downton Abbey piece was just beautiful, didn't miss a beat and the melody was nice and crisp.....lovely
    Nice sounding piano too

#2076070 - 05/02/13 05:40 PM Re: May Day, May Day Piano Bar... [Re: sinophilia]
    scorpio Offline

Loc: Connecticut, USA
    sinophilia, "Downton Abbey Theme" was lovely! And yes, I agree the sound of your piano is fantastic. I enjoyed all your pieces on soundcloud ("Frankie and Johnnie", "Raisins and Almonds", and "Raymond").

Yamaha P-155

#2076166 - 05/02/13 08:53 PM Re: May Day, May Day Piano Bar... [Re: Mark...]
      ladypayne Online   content

Loc: AK, USA
      here's my submission for the month. Another version of Scarborough Fair. I used sheet music but improvised a little from it. I also made up a section near the end that sounds a bit different from the rest. You should be able to tell which part I am talking about :P Anyway enjoy!

Scarborough Fair
      https://www.box.com/s/y15tyccfz279csszp92y

"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -Ludwig van Beethoven

#2076178 - 05/02/13 09:06 PM Re: May Day, May Day Piano Bar... [Re: Mark...]
      stumbler Offline

Loc: Toronto
      Teodor -Autumn Scenery - quick work. Beautiful little piece
      Cramer Etude 1 - I'm not familiar with Cramer, but I wish you luck.

Saranoya - Bergmuller Adieu - It sounds nice at this speed. Must be scary to play at 184!

Newman - Your Mother Should Know - Your playing stands up even when aren't singing.

sinophilia - Downtown Abbey Theme - Nice playing. Your tempo is rock solid. I can't hear any difficulty, you've mastered this one.

ladypayne - Scarborough Fair - This is a nice arrangement. It sounds really good on your piano.

#2076192 - 05/02/13 09:26 PM Re: May Day, May Day Piano Bar... [Re: Mark...]
      ElleC Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
      Sinophilia -- easy or not...you played it very nicely. And I did hear your highlights =)

ladypayne -- that was beautiful rendition of Scarborough Fair. I loved how the notes just flow from one to another...very musical.

#2076254 - 05/02/13 10:46 PM Re: May Day, May Day Piano Bar... [Re: Mark...]
      Riddler Offline
      500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
      My piece this month is Monk's Mood, by (guess who?) Thelonious Monk.

I attended several Monk concerts in NYC, Newport, etc in the 50s and 60s, always loved to hear him play this song, and tried to play it by ear, but never got those beautiful chords (or the pedal point thing) quite right. Lead sheets opened my eyes to a whole new world!

Monk's Mood

Ed

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

#2076268 - 05/02/13 11:02 PM Re: May Day, May Day Piano Bar... [Re: Mark...]
      dmd Offline
      1000 Post Club Member

Sinophilia: You play beautifully. It is apparent that you have taken the time to learn the right way. You play very precisely with strong attention paid to playing ON TIME !

You have not gotten ahead of yourself by trying to play all sorts of things that are beyond your skill level.

You serve as an inspiration for all beginners.

Your music is a pleasure to hear.

#2076386 - 05/03/13 01:52 AM Re: May Day, May Day Piano Bar... [Re: Mark...]
      sinophilia Offline

Thank you everybody, you're too kind as usual! smile

Saranoya, this sounds so good! I have some Burgmuller music somewhere and I'll have to dig it out when I decide to try classical music. Next year maybe.

Teodor, that is beautiful! It must be so rewarding to pick up a piece and just learn it and play it in an hour...

Newman, I never say anything but I always listen to your songs, I'm so jealous of the great playing and singing!

ladypayne, your Scarborough Fair gives goose bumps even through the speakers of my laptop! Wow!

#2076394 - 05/03/13 02:30 AM Re: May Day, May Day Piano Bar... [Re: Mark...]
      1000 Post Club Member

Ladypayne - that was a lovely arrangement of Scarborough Fair, simply beautiful, has put me in a nice frame of mind after a hard week.

Riddler - even although the music was unfamiliar listening lifted my tired weary spirit

#2076402 - 05/03/13 03:00 AM Re: May Day, May Day Piano Bar... [Re: Mark...]
      Weiyan Online   happy
      500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hong Kong
      There are so many good music this month. I hope not to miss any of these good music.

Mark, very nice piece. This is my first time hear the Emperor's New Clothes piano cover.
      Teodor: Very nice etude.
      Saranyona: You are Bergmuller expert here.
      Newman: Your voice is very good.
      sinophilia: Your playing is flowing. Very nice. Keep on.
      ladypayne: Your rendition of Scarborough is very good. You seems interact with the music.
      Riddler: Monk's Mood. It matches today's mood. Its whole day raining, without sunshine, without birds singing, without dogs barking....

#2076403 - 05/03/13 03:01 AM Re: May Day, May Day Piano Bar... [Re: Mark...]
      Weiyan Online   happy
      500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hong Kong
      This is my contribution this month.

Menuet in F maj. by Haydn.

#2076457 - 05/03/13 07:10 AM Re: May Day, May Day Piano Bar... [Re: Mark...]
      Saranoya Offline
      500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brussels, Belgium
      Weiyan: I've played that! Nice piece, isn't it? It would be even better if you'd add a little pedalwork wink.

Currently Playable
      Bach 846, 926, 930
      Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
      Burgmüller 100/3, 4, 7, 12, 15, 19, 25
      Chopin 72/1
      Clementi 36/1
      Grieg 12/1, 7
      Tchaikovsky 39/9

Future
      Burgmüller 109
      Bartok Sz 56
      Mozart K331

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
      What's Hot!!
      Our latest Issue is available now...
      Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
      -------------------
      HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
      -------------------
      Sharing is Caring!
      About the Buttons
      -------------------
      Forums Rules & Help
      -------------------
      ADVERTISE
      on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
      (ad) HAILUN Pianos
      Hailun Pianos - Click for More
      Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
      Seiler Pianos
      Sheet Music
      (PW is an affiliate)
      Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
      (125ad) Dampp Chaser
      Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
      (ad) Lindeblad Piano
      Lindeblad Piano Restoration
      Who's Online
      117 registered (AndresD, AndrewJCW, 36251, Allard, Abby Pianoman, 33 invisible), 1331 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
      Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
      Forum Stats
      75602 Members
      42 Forums
      156329 Topics
      2295961 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
      New Topics - Multiple Forums
      Feurich 190 cm grand from 1920 - Is it any good?
      by pinkfloydhomer
      20 minutes 40 seconds ago
      Who's gigging with MP11
      by 36251
      51 minutes 42 seconds ago
      piano technician cost list
      by ascc
      Today at 01:36 AM
      Liszt on Steinway A3
      by Reno
      Today at 01:35 AM
      Roland RD800 initial impressions
      by fizikisto
      Today at 12:28 AM
      (ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
      | Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
      | Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
      | |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
      No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission