Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
131 registered (accordeur, ajames, Al LaPorte, 42 invisible), 1586 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2073640 - 04/29/13 04:57 PM Anyone got any thoughts on the Yamaha Motif XF8?
Vijay '82 Offline

Specifically, I understand that it has a "balanced hammer" action, and my understanding is that this basically means that all keys are weighted the same, as different from a real piano where keys in the lower octaves are "heavier" than the higher octaves.

However, what I want to know is, how heavy exactly is the "weighting" of the keys on the Motif XF8? As I understand, the keys on the XF6 and XF7 are plastic and very light, how does the XF8 compare? And what's your thoughts on ease of use, piano sound, value-for-money, etc.? Is it worth the $3,000+ price tag?

For a while now, I've been intending to buy one, but then again, I don't expect I'm ever going to be a professional musician, and that being the case, I wonder whether an instrument aimed at professionals is going to be excessive, I mean, I probably am not going to use half the features on it, beyond exploring it out of curiosity; it might look "cool", it might impress visitors, but am not sure I'll have quite the level of enthusiasm to use it to its fullest capabilities; then again, if it's an easy-to-use instrument, I may well find myself more keen to experiment with its little tricks...

Anyone tried it? Your thoughts, folks?

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#2073762 - 04/29/13 08:14 PM Re: Anyone got any thoughts on the Yamaha Motif XF8? [Re: Vijay '82]
Ahmediy Offline

I have tried the XS6, 7 and 8 which I think are like the XF models.
The 88 keys were very different from the 73 and 61 keys.
It felt okay, but not exactly like a piano.
I liked the piano sounds but overall found it hard to use.
It may be easy to use but I only played it a few times for about 1 hour.

#2073827 - 04/29/13 10:40 PM Re: Anyone got any thoughts on the Yamaha Motif XF8? [Re: Vijay '82]
Scott Hamlin Offline
500 Post Club Member

The XF8 one of the better weighted keyboards
by Yamaha.. .much better (for me) than the
MOX8 and the MM8.

I was going to get one, but $3500 is too much..

Ended up getting a Privia Px5s and some VSTI's..

#2073911 - 04/30/13 03:07 AM Re: Anyone got any thoughts on the Yamaha Motif XF8? [Re: Vijay '82]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Mt View, CA
I think for $3000+ you can get a better key feel for playing piano music. MOX8/XF8 are about the wizardry -- nice gadgets for sure, though.

#2353488 - 11/22/14 07:09 AM Re: Anyone got any thoughts on the Yamaha Motif XF8? [Re: Vijay '82]
Vijay '82 Offline

Any further thoughts, guys?

I've nearly made up my mind that I'm going to get one....

Anything I should be aware of? I.e. anything "not so good" about the XF8?

#2353499 - 11/22/14 08:25 AM Re: Anyone got any thoughts on the Yamaha Motif XF8? [Re: Vijay '82]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
If you want a piano, get a piano, not a workstation/synth with 88 keys. The Motif is great for what it is, but from your description I'm not sure that is really what you want. Look at the Kawai MP11, VPC1, Roland rd800, Yamaha CP 4, Casio px5s or other similar models instead. These are more geared toward an acoustic piano feel.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2353505 - 11/22/14 08:59 AM Re: Anyone got any thoughts on the Yamaha Motif XF8? [Re: Vijay '82]
lekanout Offline

Loc: PARIS,FRANCE
Yes.
If you don't want a workstation,buy a stage piano like a CP4,RD800 or kawai..etc etc.

But:
Il you want a workstation,the motif XF is a killer.
It's the best rompler workstation ever made(kronos is multi synthesis.)
The keybed is great(high level but less than CP4 or Rd800 for me)
If you buy a flash ram,you have some good pianos available..
Tons of sound,powerful synth,very reliable(the XF is often on tour with the biggest artists)
A beautiful piece of hardware!

Easy to use for playing sounds,but hard to master(especially if you are a beginner in workstations)
Fortunatly,there is the motifator site with tons of informations.

I've bought all the motifs since the beginning and was never delused.

Edited by lekanout (11/22/14 09:00 AM)

#2353529 - 11/22/14 10:59 AM Re: Anyone got any thoughts on the Yamaha Motif XF8? [Re: Vijay '82]
fizikisto Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hernando, MS
ViJay
What are your musical goals? what do you intend to play? what do you want to do with your instrument? You said you wouldn't use half of the board's features, what features will you use? Do you know yet? Is there any reason that you're interested in a workstation rather than a digital piano?

It might help you decide if you clearly determine what your needs are, what your budget is, and then what's available to be the best match between those two. smile

#2353550 - 11/22/14 12:51 PM Re: Anyone got any thoughts on the Yamaha Motif XF8? [Re: Vijay '82]
beebop Offline

I have a Motif (XS).

You can make a complete professional music album on this rig.

I know because I've done it.

No computer. Recorded everything on the Motif and then ran the contents through a 16 -track Zoom mixer (where you can tweak the contents even further).

No compression needed. Sounds awesome.

Basic stuff is fairly easy to do on the Motif.....but if you want to open a door, it's there to open...and there's another door and another after that......on and on.....

I found that while a lot of the piano sounds don't sound that great through headphones or monitors...for some reason they sound awesome when recorded as a final product. But every sound on that board can be remastered to infinitum anyhow.

This isn't the board I would buy if I was a recreational player.

But if you are the kind of person that like to write/create peformances, you can't go wrong with a Motif.

The XS that I have does not use "StyleFiles".(( But they can be imported from another source and you can connect other devices to the unit) It does have a large collection of "Performances".......which are similar in nature and can be tweaked to death.

The XS was more geared toward DJ and Hip-Hop for "Performance".

Some of Yamaha's creations on this board for that are downright silly IMO. But I could be biased on that subject. I'm more "old school". But you can change any and all instrument sounds in any "Performance" track.

It does have a good selection of "Performance" styles.....and like I said you can tweak them forever......

If you like "doing your own thing" .....a Motif is king.

If you like to just play.......without all the headaches of recording ( recording,sound editing and bell-and-whistle settings eats up time like you wouldn't believe).....then a

a digital piano is probably a better choice.

The Motif XS has nice key action.......heavier than PSR's etc. but not quite as heavy as some digitals......

Edited by beebop (11/22/14 01:02 PM)

#2354738 - Yesterday at 06:22 PM Re: Anyone got any thoughts on the Yamaha Motif XF8? [Re: Vijay '82]
Vijay '82 Offline

My biggest concern is the weight of the keys. The main thing is, I don't want to spend 3,000+ on a glorified PSR.

If I'm not mistaken, the XF6 and XF7 have light plastic keys - like the Casio CTK-601 that I'm using at the moment. My understanding is that the XF8 has heavier keys than the XF6 or the XF7. Maybe not as heavy as an actual grand piano, but something close would be good enough.

What do I intend to play?

Right now, I'm trying to learn some stuff by Ludovico Einaudi. I'm also enjoying some of Fabrizio Paterlini's work (so I might start learning some of his stuff too).

However, aside from learning to play piano, I'm also intending to "analyse" my favourite songs and pieces of popular music, and I'm hoping to be able to "re-create" some of these songs as Cubase projects and perhaps share these projects with other enthusiasts... I mean, I'm not a professional musician, but the possibilities with the Motif XF8 seem endless, and very exciting...

I'm also wondering, is it possible to install e.g. Synthogy Ivory directly on a Motif XF8? (so I can have my own "electronic" Steinway Model D in my bedroom, without having to plug it all in through a computer/laptop)?

Your thoughts would be appreciated...

#2354819 - Yesterday at 10:11 PM Re: Anyone got any thoughts on the Yamaha Motif XF8? [Re: Vijay '82]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I dont have any personal experience on the xf8, unfortunately. If you're planning on using a DAW, however, you may not necessarily need a workstation, especially if you want something that feels great and will possibly be using software pianos like Ivory. In this case I recommend going with the dp that feels the best to you, and use VSTs to get the sounds you want.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2354971 - 24 minutes 30 seconds ago Re: Anyone got any thoughts on the Yamaha Motif XF8? [Re: Vijay '82]
anotherscott Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Vijay '82
My biggest concern is the weight of the keys. The main thing is, I don't want to spend 3,000+ on a glorified PSR.

If I'm not mistaken, the XF6 and XF7 have light plastic keys - like the Casio CTK-601 that I'm using at the moment.

You are correct that the XF6 and XF7 do not have a weighted action well suited for piano, however it does not feel the same as the low-cost Casios, either (or even the low-cost unweighted Yamahas). Still, it's not what you want.

My understanding is that the XF8 has heavier keys than the XF6 or the XF7. Maybe not as heavy as an actual grand piano, but something close would be good enough.

It's not a matter of "heavy" per se... real pianos, DPs, and other weighted action keyboards all vary a lot in how heavy the keys feel. The XF8 does use a weighted piano-style action that is suitable for piano playing. Whether it is as heavy feeling as a real acoustic piano depends on which acoustic piano you are comparing it too. Whether it is as good and responsive as a real piano keyboard, or some other DP, is a different question from how heavy the keys feel, and is largely subjective.

I'm also wondering, is it possible to install e.g. Synthogy Ivory directly on a Motif XF8?

No. There are a number of additional piano models you can load into the XF, some freely available from Yamaha, some available for a fee from a third-party vendor, but Synthology only makes Ivory for Mac and Windows computers. They are about to come out with a scaled down version that will work on an iPad as well (co-marketed with Korg). In theory, with a lot of effort, you could sample Ivory yourself and create a scaled down version you could load it into the XF, but for all practical purposes, the answer to your question is no.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
HAPPY THANKSGIVING
by musdan
11/26/14 10:07 AM
Book about Alice Herz-Sommer, pianist and holocaust survivor
by neuralfirings
11/26/14 09:20 AM
What does a dealer have to reveal?
by chasingrainbows
11/26/14 09:09 AM
Mark your calendars!
by Rich Galassini
11/26/14 07:30 AM
Why single note intonation came from Russia but not USA?
by Hakki
11/26/14 06:46 AM
Forum Stats
77053 Members
42 Forums
159364 Topics
2340990 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission