2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 9 invisible), 1,790 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Guys,

I have stumbled across the following instrument at a local dealer:
A 1981 Mason & Hamlin Model BB, black satin finish, for $20,626.

The dealer says that there is nothing wrong with it, but we will have a technician check it out. From the looks of it, the case needs some polishing, but otherwise there are no cosmetic flaws. Assuming the tech finds nothing wrong with it, is $20,626 a good price?

Last edited by Almaviva; 04/29/13 04:00 PM.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
The BB is a fabulous instrument. It strikes me as being a bit on the high side, but if it is truly A+++, it would be a strong consideration. Those pianos can have a strong clear bass which can make you weep!

Have you done any bargaining yet? Lots will depend on the tech's assessment.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I paid more than that for my rebuilt 1918 BB. But my piano was in "like new" condition after rebuilding. The BB is a fabulous piano. I adore mine and feel it was the find of a lifetime. I plunked down my deposit a day before a concert pianist came to check it out again to buy as his main practice instrument.

Anyway, it depends on how much playing is left in this piano being 30 years old. If it is in good to very good contition you are getting a deal.

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
What do you think of it, after playing it?

I can't remember the Mason & Hamlin timeline, i.e., who owned the company back then and what the build quality was like. Might be worth checking into. Don't think it is the current owners.

That said, I have a rebuilt 1928 Model CC and really like it, though it now needs a lot of action work.

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Seems high for a piano that is getting close to the 30 year mark.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I think that is from the Peres era.

Semipro Tech
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Thanks for the info, guys. We'll have to have the tech check it out. Hope he gives the green light.

My niece has played another Mason & Hamlin BB about a month ago, and liked it. ("Big & bold tone", she says.) She hopes to get over to the dealer this week and play this one.

If she doesn't like it, my friend and his young son might want to check it out.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Alma,

I too am interested in hearing what you think about the piano after playing it.

My Mason & Hamlin "AA" is pre-WWII. It has the unusual smokey golden, spinto timbre typical of their best period. The decay is just chock full of colors even though the instrument is only 6'1", and the sustain in the upper treble is amazing. I'm still in love with that sound after 30+ years of playing it.

I'm sorry to say that today, with the resurrection of the brand, and new management and production in Asia, the recent instruments don't sound like that. The timbre is a bit closer to the modern American Steinway in tone color, with a few more colors in the decay than Japanese instruments but much, much less interesting or impressive overall in dynamic range, resonance or sustain than the golden-era instruments.

You knew all that, right?

Are you looking for yourself? If you are, and you've never heard one of the pre-WWII instruments, please go check them out first. If they're in good shape, they're incredible. The differences in timbre or sustain from the modern instruments are very noticeable; I myself don't even think they sound like the same brand. If you're shopping for somebody else, or an organization, then I don't think they'll be disappointed. The modern M&H BBs are good instruments that work fine for churches, rehearsal studios or small recital halls. They usually have good projection and are quit stable. And yes, that price is a very good one for an instrument of that size.

But the new ones just don't sound like those from the golden era...

...(sigh)...

A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
P.S. - No, we haven't started bargaining yet. I played it a little bit Saturday afternoon. The bass was great, but the treble was a little bright and "clattery". The dealer's tech promised to check the voicing first thing Monday morning.

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Almaviva
Guys,

I have stumbled across the following instrument at a local dealer:
A 1986 Mason & Hamlin Model BB, black satin finish, for $20,626.

The dealer says that there is nothing wrong with it, but we will have a technician check it out. From the looks of it, the case needs some polishing, but otherwise there are no cosmetic flaws. Assuming the tech finds nothing wrong with it, is $20,626 a good price?

My thoughts,

I did not even know that the BB was made in 1986. In late 1985 M&H became a part of Sohmer/Pratt-Reed, but for the next couple of years I was unaware that M&H grands were built.

I am thinking that this may have been a partial piano that was completed under Sohmer. This is speculation on my part, but it makes sense based on what is presented here Almaviva.

If I am correct it means that an uncompleted piano was moved from one facility to another and completed by a staff that had never made one before, and perhaps with only some of the tools, jigs, and training that the original staff had. This opens up lots of areas for issues that are normally nothing to worry about. If a piano is "finished" in a separate factory from where its life began, basic things like the fit of the action to the piano, the correct dimension of parts, fit of plate into piano, correct strikepoint, etc. could be questionable.

Full Disclosure - My speculation might not be correct at all. I am going by the history of a company that I love as I know it. If anyone else can contribute more information, I look forward to hearing it.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
Online Content
My advice is to make sure not to let the fallboard name overly influence your purchase. This piano was not from a period that is generally considered very good for Mason Hamlin, although I have read at PW that some of these instruments can be very good as is or good with some tweaking. Unless one has 100K to spend virtually any piano will be somewhat of a compromise.

Ask yourself how much you like it if you didn't know it was a Mason. And. of course, you need to have listened to a reasonable number of other pianos to really answer that question.

You need to find a really good tech who is truly independent from the seller to evaluate the piano. They should be aware of any problems that Masons of that era might have so they can decide if this piano has any of them and how serious they are in terms of need to fix them. The price does seem somewhat high based on the current price for the BB and Fine's depreciation schedule, although Fine says the schedule is for a private sale and a piano bought through a dealer would be higher. Does the piano have a warranty and what does it say?

You should also decide what cosmetic condition you eventually want the piano to be in and get an accurate assessment of what that might cost from someone who does that kind of work. If the piano requires refinishing to get it to look the way you'd like, that could be an addition 5-10K. OTOH it could be only a few hundred dollars depending on the present condition of the case and what you want.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 04/29/13 11:07 AM.
S
S
The fact that the piano is 30 years old alone shouldn't deter you from purchasing it. I recently purchased a 1940 Mason & Hamlin Model B. It has a deep rich bass, a full singing midrange, and a brilliant treble range. It still has the original strings; the hammers were reshaped once. The technician who recently tuned it absolutely loves this 73 year old piano and said it needs nothing. I can't speak for the build quality of a 1980s vintage Mason & Hamlin, though my technician says the older ones are some of the best pianos ever built.

Last edited by songwire; 04/29/13 12:28 PM.
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
My advice would be to read, mark and inwardly digest what Rich has written above.

Karl Watson,
Staten Island, NY

B
BDB Offline
B
It all boils down to: If you really like the piano, nothing else matters, not even the price.

Semipro Tech
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
I did not even know that the BB was made in 1986. In late 1985 M&H became a part of Sohmer/Pratt-Reed, but for the next couple of years I was unaware that M&H grands were built.

I am thinking that this may have been a partial piano that was completed under Sohmer. This is speculation on my part, but it makes sense based on what is presented here Almaviva.

If I am correct it means that an uncompleted piano was moved from one facility to another and completed by a staff that had never made one before, and perhaps with only some of the tools, jigs, and training that the original staff had. This opens up lots of areas for issues that are normally nothing to worry about. If a piano is "finished" in a separate factory from where its life began, basic things like the fit of the action to the piano, the correct dimension of parts, fit of plate into piano, correct strikepoint, etc. could be questionable.

Full Disclosure - My speculation might not be correct at all. I am going by the history of a company that I love as I know it. If anyone else can contribute more information, I look forward to hearing it.

Good news, Rich. I got the Model BB's serial number from the dealer, and it turns out that the piano was made in either 1980 or 1981. Are there any potential problems with M&H pianos made during that period?

B
BDB Offline
B
That was the end of the Aeolian American era. Probably no potential problems, but there may be plenty which are evident!

Semipro Tech
B
B
Just to add a data point from a different era-played a 1997 BB (after the restart by the Burgett's). Good feel, nice treble, but . . . . that bass is amazing. I've played a Steinway D and a Fazioli 308, and couldn't say that the bass on either was better than the BB.

The one I looked at was priced in the 30k range-I'd jump on it if I had that kind of scratch around. Maybe I can scare it up . . . . I think I'll get back to work . . . .

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by laguna_greg

I'm sorry to say that today, with the resurrection of the brand, and new management and production in Asia, the recent instruments don't sound like that. The timbre is a bit closer to the modern American Steinway in tone color, with a few more colors in the decay than Japanese instruments but much, much less interesting or impressive overall in dynamic range, resonance or sustain than the golden-era instruments.

As I recall M&H have no production in Asia. They're built in Haverhill MA and some parts are made in Asia. I do recall that many (most) of their production staff are Asian, but the pianos are built in the USA.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Steve - You recall correctly. In addition, the M&H Vertical Model 50 is assembled at M&H's plant in Sacramento - using parts made in Haverhill. MA. Perhaps the new M&H grands aren't quite like those of the "golden age" - but they are still top notch instruments.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission