2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (benkeys, brennbaer, AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,938 guests, and 327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
ElleC Offline OP
OP Offline
E
For those thoughts musical or not. Things you want to share but don't necessarily need a thread for....because we all have one or few of those a day wink

Adult beginner since January 2013. My only regret is that I didn't learn sooner.
E
ElleC Offline OP
OP Offline
E
So since I started my piano journey, I've been listening to classical piano music a lot but have only been exposed to Bach, Chopin, Beethoven and Burgmuller. I really want to see a good pianist perform live so I was looking at ticketmaster and this guy Christopher O'riley comes up and looks like he's performing in New York City in May performing variations of Liszt. I don't know anything about O'riley and I don't know anything about Liszt's music. Honestly don't know what to expect but I am excited!

Adult beginner since January 2013. My only regret is that I didn't learn sooner.
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
On the 12th of May in the Highline Ballroom on 16th Street?

Regards,

Polyphonist
E
ElleC Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Yes that's it!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Elle...Monday evenings on PBS, "From The Top". Christopher O'Riley hosts the show and it's an hour of young musicians. He is an excellent classical pianist and , among other thngs, did a whole series of his own transcriptions of Radiohead pieces that were just amazing.

E
ElleC Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Awesome! Thanks for that info. Now I'm even more excited to watch/hear him play!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Mozart! Listen to Mozart.

Everything by Mozart...piano music, concertos, symphonies, seranades, operas, chamber music...everything. Mozart is the main course...everyone and everything else are just side dishes...Mozart was sent to Earth by the music gods to teach people how to know and love great music.

Mozart! Listen to Mozart.

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Get some piano solo recordings by Martha Argerich... especially Schumann, Ravel, Debussy. And also concertos, like Beethoven and Prokofiev. Some will not agree, but when I listen to her I tell myself, this is how piano music should sound like.

B
B
Random musical thought of the day: Why do I keep buying music sheets when I positively know that I won't have time to learn them in 10 lives?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Why would the thought even occur to me when running into this clip that the way this guy moves can teach something about playing the piano, and on the heels of that, it's time to go out and buy a watermelon.
The watermelon guy

C
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
C
For the same reason I now have both volumes of "Piano Classics", and "The Standards Real Book" (fifty years of pop/jazz lead sheets) and all 3 of Tim Richards' blues and jazz books.

That's a lifetime of music playing and learning, and I'm not young enough to master it.

But one can dream . . . .<g>

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by keystring
Why would the thought even occur to me when running into this clip that the way this guy moves can teach something about playing the piano, and on the heels of that, it's time to go out and buy a watermelon.
The watermelon guy

He's a master! I'm surprised he didn't slice his hand off somewhere along the line...

Regards,

Polyphonist
He cuts watermellon like i play scales... :-)

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Boira
Random musical thought of the day: Why do I keep buying music sheets when I positively know that I won't have time to learn them in 10 lives?

For all the music I buy that's at my current level, I rationalize that I'll be able to use it for sight reading practice when I get better.

For music above my level: if civilization collapses, at least I'll still have sheet music to grow into. Not sure what I'll be plugging my DP into though... wink

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
Boira: I am always looking for the answer to that question as well! I remember when I had to go to the music store, over an hour drive, to look for sheet music. There was never much to choose from, and the books were so pricey. Now just log into music notes or whichever site you like and buy nearly any sheets you could ever want! Somebody stop me I'm out of control!

E
ElleC Offline OP
OP Offline
E
The week I got my DP and before I started taking lessons, I purchased several sheet music from musicnotes. I have yet to play any of them though I'm hoping one day I'd be good enough to do so.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
If you are going to buy a ton of music way above your level, make sure it's crazy hard so you can just casually have it propped open on your piano should visitors pop by. "Yeah, I'm toying with La Campanella but it's not quite speaking to me yet ..."

Hmm, perhaps not.

I keep picking up way more than I can ever use on Freecycle. At least I'm not paying for it!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
E
ElleC Offline OP
OP Offline
E
I'm getting my piano tuned for the first time (a "free" tuning that was included with my purchase). Is there an etiquette as far as giving (or not giving) the piano tech a gratuity? and how about if I'm paying for the tuning myself...do I have to give an additional $ for gratuity?

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Ah........ the American gratuity debate, I find this whole subject so confusing as a European/Australian visitor. Ask him where his last holiday was, if it was New Jersey he needs the tip, if it were Hawaii, the he probably doesn't need it. If it was overseas holiday ask how hard it is to become a piano tuner, I am looking for a new career.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
ElleC, I have read your post, here:

I'm getting my piano tuned for the first time (a "free" tuning that was included with my purchase). Is there an etiquette as far as giving (or not giving) the piano tech a gratuity? and how about if I'm paying for the tuning myself...do I have to give an additional $ for gratuity?

When the sales person heard of a private sale of an awesome piano, I gave the salesperson a finder's fee. I called the salesperson for the name of a good tuner. The salesperson said, no, no, I am paying for the tuner for your piano because you were ...whatever she said.

I tried to give the tuner a tip because he really was awesome and did a great job, fussed over checking everything like nuts and bolts, screws were tight. He said no, but for a cup of coffee, if you insist. So, of course, I will see him for the annual tuning, budget permitting. I have never ever paid a finder's fee in my life, and am not big on tipping except waiters, etc., but I realized how awesome it was to find the piano and nothing less than tip/finder's fee was appropriate under the circumstances.

Oh, ElleC, on your closing comment ----> Adult beginner since January 2013. My only regret is that I didn't learn sooner.

I respectfully disagree. Discovering the love of playing the piano at 63, now 64, knowing that playing the piano is the greatest joy in my lifetime, and I have had a humble but awesome life. The ability to play the piano at any level, is the greatest priceless gift except for living life itself.

Last edited by Michael_99; 04/30/13 10:53 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission