Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2074563 - 04/30/13 10:45 PM Gross Motor Skills Activities for Adult Beginner
JosephAC Offline

Loc: Melbourne Australia
Hi there,
As an adult beginner, I could be benefiting from some gross motors skills activities. Somewhat, learning piano is mostly fine motor development and I wonder whether you come across some gross motor activities that can contribute to adult music learning. The most common activities are: foot tapping, clapping.... I also wonder whether there is a set of activities that gradually build one's skills, specially in relation to rhythm building.
Let me know your thoughts.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2074570 - 04/30/13 10:57 PM Re: Gross Motor Skills Activities for Adult Beginner [Re: JosephAC]
PianoStudent88 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Teachers of children use activities like marching to the beat, marching while clapping the rhythm, clapping the beat, clapping the rhythm, drumming or using other rhythm instruments or shakers, giant arm circles to the beat, clapping the rhythm or beat on one's thighs, tapping the rhythm on the closed keyboard cover (either just the RH rhythm, just the LH rhythm, or both), etc. You could also just dance interpretively to the music (either a recording, or singing it yourself), emphasizing the beat or the rhythm or the melody or the accompaniment as the spirit moves you.

I have often thought these would be useful for adults as well.

The idea with children is to move from larger muscles and muscle groups to smaller. So you would start with marching and giant arm circles, and progress to clapping and drumming, and then to tapping on the keyboard cover and tapping feet, and finally to playing which involves fine control of the fingers (although not just the fingers).

#2074584 - 04/30/13 11:17 PM Re: Gross Motor Skills Activities for Adult Beginner [Re: JosephAC]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Originally Posted By: JosephAC
I also wonder whether there is a set of activities that gradually build one's skills, specially in relation to rhythm building.

Percussive activities.. tapping on a desk, for example. Then, add in different sounds. (Slapping vs two-finger tapping; pads of fingers vs nails; add a ruler for a sharper sound on certain beats, etc..)

#2075016 - 05/01/13 01:15 PM Re: Gross Motor Skills Activities for Adult Beginner [Re: JosephAC]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
Going out dancing is fun, or even just putting on music you love and dancing around the house (if necessary, with the blinds closed and no-one else home). One advantage of the modern world is that now one can go online to sample the music of as-yet-unknown bands that are playing around town, to find the ones likely to get you dancing.

I also got myself a pair of bongo drums. I don't play them at all properly, but find them an enjoyable enhancement for rhythm reading exercises (not sure how the neighbors feel about that though).

neglected piano blog

#2075202 - 05/01/13 06:25 PM Re: Gross Motor Skills Activities for Adult Beginner [Re: tangleweeds]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Find a drum circle in your community:

http://drumcircles.net/circlelist.html

There are other online resources.

That's "large-muscle exercise", and has the added benefits of being a lot of fun, aiding musical development, and letting you make a heck of a lot of noise!

. Charles

#2075924 - 05/02/13 02:12 PM Re: Gross Motor Skills Activities for Adult Beginner [Re: JosephAC]
wower Offline

Loc: Calgary
Originally Posted By: JosephAC
Hi there,As an adult beginner, I could be benefiting from some gross motors skills activities. Somewhat, learning piano is mostly fine motor development and I wonder whether you come across some gross motor activities that can contribute to adult music learning. The most common activities are: foot tapping, clapping.... I also wonder whether there is a set of activities that gradually build one's skills, specially in relation to rhythm building.
Let me know your thoughts.

This is a very interesting question you've posed. The drum circle and dancing are great suggestions in my opinion which I think strike at the heart of what you're asking. As a self-learner I've asked myself a similar question, differently framed, and still arrive at the same suggestions, lending credence to their validity.

Start with the proposition that the piano is essentially a rhythmic activity before it's a melodic of harmonic one. The piano is after all a percussion instrument. So to focus on rhythm is not misplaced. However, I frame the subject in terms of "coordination" which has a slightly different meaning than "gross motor skills" but also has lots of overlap. For me, the strength of thinking in terms of coordination comes from getting my torso and upper arms in position first, then the wrist and fingers always follow naturally and are right there to apply the perfect amount of force to the key bed at exactly the right moment.

I would add yoga and sports in addition to the two above mentioned. I don't do yoga myself - not enough time in the day - but it does utilize the "synaptic system" or whatever (I forget the exact name of the part of the nervous system yoga works and a quick search proved fruitless. Maybe someone with more experience in yoga can chime in.) Sports has a wonderful propensity to force one to be coordinated (I play badminton)and rhythmic (I love steady beat of long distance running or swimming).

#2076735 - 05/03/13 03:55 PM Re: Gross Motor Skills Activities for Adult Beginner [Re: JosephAC]
JosephAC Offline

Loc: Melbourne Australia
In my case, I am somewhat physically fit and active. I swim, run, cycle, paddle, and yoga regularly, in addition to Alexander Technique. These activities are inherently biologically rhythmic and they are our first form of familarity with rhythm.
In my observation, music rhythm is a learnt rhythm. You could be exposed to it culturally and hence develops naturally and easily . For example, in many African cultures and Brazil, just to mention a few, some people are exposed to rhythmic body movement and cultural dancing.
In my case, I need to learn to develop my innate rhythm as it is under developed. Over the past few months, I have come a long way with this development and learning but I still have a long way to go.
I love the idea of drum circle. I never knew about it. I emailed a lcoal group and I hope to join them soon.
Getting into dancing will be another distraction which I do not have the natural inclination and neither the time.
Some of the replies suggested some children activities - marching, clapping tapping,.... and some of what we do on the piano. When I wrote the original post, I was hoping to gather enough information to develop my own rhythm activities and coordination on the piano unless someone suggests a specific well developed coodination routine or activities that I can simply adapt.
Unless someone has something else to add, my take away is join a local drum circle and continue with what I know and the suggested coordination activities (clapping, tapping, marching,.... ). This week, my piano teacher showed me how to tap with both hands - RH for the top staff and LH for bottom staff. And this was definetly useful for my gross motor development of the piece being learnt.

Thanks and I welcome any further feedback.

Edited by JosephAC (05/03/13 03:58 PM)

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
146 registered (A Guy, ando, 36251, ajames, 35 invisible), 1745 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75584 Members
42 Forums
156282 Topics
2295212 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Some interesting finds in a museum visit today!
by LarryShone
Today at 01:06 PM
Help with a Bluthner
by Classicalist
Today at 12:54 PM
Yamaha DGX650 - looking for an alternative! Need advice
by Karinioza
Today at 11:51 AM
Piano oriented film soundtracks/scores.
by aDino
Today at 11:21 AM
Help with dynamics
by noobpianist90
Today at 03:53 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission