2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
33 members (Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,240 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
E
E
Originally Posted by xorbe
I can submit a super-beginner recital piece after just ~8 months of on-and-off practice? It's just 1.2 pages, and the whole thing is repeated twice basically. I listened to a lot of the last recital pieces, so I know I'm pretty far down the skill ladder.

Please submit! There's a bunch of us! You're not the only one. Just have fun with it smile

Adult beginner since January 2013. My only regret is that I didn't learn sooner.

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
I can submit a super-beginner recital piece after just ~8 months of on-and-off practice? It's just 1.2 pages, and the whole thing is repeated twice basically. I listened to a lot of the last recital pieces, so I know I'm pretty far down the skill ladder.

It depends, if you're too good, you can't submit grin

(That's a new rule I'd like to implement wink )

X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
Well no wonder I can't make my piece sound like the reference recording I have -- the transcription is wrong! I slowed down the problem spot 5x in Audacity (just 5 quick notes) this morning and said "D'OH!" Now I have to unlearn the incorrect sheet music. Give me a week or two ... I might still squeak in. Transcription called for a two-note trill, but it's like "D-E-D-C-E" instead.

A

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
A

Me too! I wanna hear.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
OMG!! I did it!!!!! I have successfully submitted a piece to my first Quarterly recital!!!!!

I needed a page turner. I fumbled with the pages badly. But, I'm not going to record this another time. Enough already. I'm not Argerich!!!!! Not hardly!!

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by sinophilia

It depends, if you're too good, you can't submit grin

(That's a new rule I'd like to implement wink )

Hey, how about starting a thread that asks if we can't vote people off the recital ... smokin

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by dynamobt
OMG!! I did it!!!!! I have successfully submitted a piece to my first Quarterly recital!!!!!

I needed a page turner. I fumbled with the pages badly. But, I'm not going to record this another time. Enough already. I'm not Argerich!!!!! Not hardly!!

Congratulations, dynamobt!! yippie And you will find that the REAL fun comes when the recital is posted and everybody starts listening and commenting.

Page turns are hard. Whenever possible, if I don't have the piece memorized, I just xerox the sheet music and spread the pages out across my music desk.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Monica K.
Originally Posted by dynamobt

Congratulations, dynamobt!! yippie And you will find that the REAL fun comes when the recital is posted and everybody starts listening and commenting.

Page turns are hard. Whenever possible, if I don't have the piece memorized, I just xerox the sheet music and spread the pages out across my music desk.

I'll remember that for next time. Wait till you hear how badly I turn these pages. There is bad and then there is folly!!

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
The best way to deal with page turns? Memorize the music! grin

What to do if the score's too long to fit all the Xeroxed pages on the piano:

Let's assume the score is 10 pages long. Only 5 fit across my piano. So, I tape pages 1-5 together, from left to right, and the same for 6-10. I then put 6-10 on the desk, and tape it so it can't move. 1-5 goes on top of that.

Between pages 5 and 6 is the only turn I'll have to make. When I make that one, I just yank the whole first layer of music off the piano; the second layer is taped so it won't be at risk to come off.

Problem solved! (somewhat grin)

Regards,

Polyphonist
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Well, I am in. It is not perfect, but it is OK. There is a good chance I will resubmit next week after my piano is tuned, so everyone will get to move up!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I've just submitted my first ABF recital piece in AGES. Now that I'm done recording spring can show up any day now... smile

Roland FP-7 / Pianoteq 4.5.1
[Linked Image]

Yay, Anthony!! Better yet, it's an Einaudi piece!! yippie Good to have you back in the recitals. smile

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
yeah, Anthony - long time, no see. You go to all that trouble to meet Monica somewhere for an Einaudi concert and then disappear laugh But I'm looking forward to your piece. You always did such a fine job on Einaudi.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AnthonyB
I've just submitted my first ABF recital piece in AGES. Now that I'm done recording spring can show up any day now... smile

anthonyb - Discovery at Night (Ludovico Einaudi)
thumb thumb thumb thumb thumb

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
I'm in. I was disappointed not to be able to use the acoustic, but we have had torrential rain for days on end and even though the tuner was here, the piano has wobbled off centre and sounds too sad. (Tuner will come back but we're waiting for the air to dry out a bit!).

The piece has a few things that are a tad off, but it is pretty representative of what I can do at this point.
Funny thing is that I did it last night, and thought I'd re-try this morning. After several tries this morning, I decided that the one from last night was actually the best take smile That will teach me smile

I'm looking forward to the launch, and delighted to see we've got a round of new comers, as well as some old timers coming back!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

A

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
A
I can' believe it's only been four days and there are 31 submissions already! And there's a really good mix of music types. I will be broadening my musical horizons by listening for sure.(As if they weren't already crazy enough..)

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AimeeO
I can' believe it's only been four days and there are 31 submissions already! And there's a really good mix of music types. I will be broadening my musical horizons by listening for sure.(As if they weren't already crazy enough..)

I always hear a number of "new to me" pieces during our recitals - it is a real education.
There are a lot of genres I would never otherwise hear - (themes from video games for example - some of which are (to me) surprisingly lovely). I usually end up with a new "Oh! I can't wait to play that" list smile after each recital.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

A
A
okay.. I made mistakes... but this is about as good as the piece is going to get!:)

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
Walt Disney

http://www.youtube.com/user/Spot1530
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Allard - see you're in with David Lanz's beautiful contemporary instrumental classic "Christofori's Dream" - this has been done here before (most notably by Mr Super Hunky, if I remember correctly) and it's always a delight to hear - eagerly awaiting your interpretation!

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Augustina, you get to move up one. I resubmitted. Again.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission