Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
101 registered (Anita Potter, ando, 36251, accordeur, anamnesis, 32 invisible), 1311 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2076879 - 05/03/13 09:37 PM Re: A word to the wise [Re: Loren D]
BenP Offline

Loc: South Jersey
The Levitan C-lever is usable on verticals, and Dan actually demonstrates it in one of his videos. I believe he says that he uses it on all tunings.

That being said, the advantages of the C-lever seem like they would be lost on a vertical piano, and it seems to me it would be harder use it in a comfortable position. I almost bought the C-lever, but I got the Levitan classic instead since I do predominantly uprights in my service area.

Thanks for the thread, by the way - it's a good reminder to us younger technicians too!

Edited by BenP (05/03/13 09:39 PM)

(ad PTG 757) The Value of PTG Membership
The Value of a PTG Membership
#2077030 - 05/04/13 07:18 AM Re: A word to the wise [Re: BenP]
James Carney Offline

Loc: new york city
Originally Posted By: BenP
The Levitan C-lever is usable on verticals, and Dan actually demonstrates it in one of his videos. I believe he says that he uses it on all tunings.

That being said, the advantages of the C-lever seem like they would be lost on a vertical piano, and it seems to me it would be harder use it in a comfortable position. I almost bought the C-lever, but I got the Levitan classic instead since I do predominantly uprights in my service area.

Thanks for the thread, by the way - it's a good reminder to us younger technicians too!

It works just as well on verticals as it does on grands, and I think the pin setting benefits apply equally to all pianos. Although, depending on the piano, I am sometimes holding it a little differently than Dan does in his demo video. I actually think it's easier to tune shorter and medium size consoles with the C-lever than a traditional lever, because it feels like there is less strain on your back. But I have yet to try it on a tall vertical like the Steingraeber 138 - in that case some of the tenor pins are positioned very high, and it may feel a little awkward. I will be tuning one of those soon and will report back.

It is also easier to switch tuning hands on a vertical using the C-lever than a trad lever, IMO.

#2077039 - 05/04/13 07:57 AM Re: A word to the wise [Re: BenP]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
Originally Posted By: BenP

I was shown how to use the weight of my body in the lever , for uprights.

A slow pull is necessary then, but the stress is limited.

Raising the anckle also seem not natural, but allow to use the arm's weight, free the shoulder and keep the back more straight.
Keep the shoulders low in any case (mean "not raised")

The playing hand wear if you play non musically. Karate and too strong totally useless unless you have very poor give.

#2077366 - 05/04/13 07:53 PM Re: A word to the wise [Re: James Carney]
BenP Offline

Loc: South Jersey
Originally Posted By: James Carney
It works just as well on verticals as it does on grands, and I think the pin setting benefits apply equally to all pianos. Although, depending on the piano, I am sometimes holding it a little differently than Dan does in his demo video. I actually think it's easier to tune shorter and medium size consoles with the C-lever than a traditional lever, because it feels like there is less strain on your back. But I have yet to try it on a tall vertical like the Steingraeber 138 - in that case some of the tenor pins are positioned very high, and it may feel a little awkward. I will be tuning one of those soon and will report back.

It is also easier to switch tuning hands on a vertical using the C-lever than a trad lever, IMO.

Thanks for the info. I would very much like to try a C-lever on some verticals. I love Dan Levitan's tools (and his percussion compositions too!).

#2090770 - 05/28/13 03:21 PM Re: A word to the wise [Re: Loren D]
daniokeeper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: PA
I've been thinking about this a bit more. We're all getting older, so you are right... this does concern all of us.

Have you also investigated nutritional help?

I mean the usual suspects... glucosamine, MSM, etc.

Though my health issues are different from your, I am recovering nicely from my heart problems last year... surprising well according to my MD.

One thing I do now is to add some whey protein powder to my diet every day to try to make sure my body has enough raw material to repair itself.

Though the following may seem really odd, I've been using something called Willard Water off and on for many years. I think is is making a difference. Your overall health will also influence your ability to recover from injury as well.

An old 60 Minutes broadcast about Willard Water:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpsBijaOouU
(semi-retired)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
You Usually Get what you Pay for in this World.......
by Paul678
11/27/14 08:22 PM
Steinway legs?
by Klavimaniac
11/27/14 06:58 PM
1875 legs and lyre where to get?
by Klavimaniac
11/27/14 06:02 PM
"It Don't mean A Thing (If it Ain't...
by prout
11/27/14 04:43 PM
Yamaha CP33?
by Possum SP280Krome
11/27/14 04:16 PM
Forum Stats
77071 Members
42 Forums
159407 Topics
2341633 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission