Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2074828 - 05/01/13 08:29 AM My introduction: It's finally time to learn to play!
carolinagirl Offline

I am a 54 year old woman and playing the piano has been on my Bucket list for many years. I took lessons for a short time as a young child but never learned to read music and only memorized a few short easy pieces. I have been in love with piano music forever and ever time I hear it, I regret not sticking with it as a child.

A couple of months ago there was a beautiful upright piano at a local auction house. It sort of got me thinking seriously about learning to play. I began researching pianos (acoustic vs digital, brands, etc) and finally made my choice. I bought a Clavinova 440 which came with 2 months of free lessons.

The piano has been in my house for 2 weeks now. My 2nd lesson is today. I am really enjoying it and am picking it up pretty fast. I am looking forward to hanging out here and learning from everyone. It looks like a very good forum!

Cindy

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2074885 - 05/01/13 09:59 AM Re: My introduction: It's finally time to learn to play! [Re: carolinagirl]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Welcome to the forum, carolinagirl! smile And welcome (back) to the wonderful world of piano. What type of music do you most want to play?

p.s. this is a great forum indeed. Lots of support, information, and silliness to be found here. grin

#2074896 - 05/01/13 10:07 AM Re: My introduction: It's finally time to learn to play! [Re: carolinagirl]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: carolinagirl
I took lessons for a short time as a young child but never learned to read music and only memorized a few short easy pieces. I have been in love with piano music forever and ever time I hear it, I regret not sticking with it as a child.

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on returning to piano finally! Your last statement above is what I hear so many times. Enjoy the process of learning now that you can appreciate it fully, and understand there will be times when your life changes and you will have to rethink your practicing routine. Remember this feeling because you will need it in these low times to push through.

What sort of music do you want to play? smile
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2074907 - 05/01/13 10:16 AM Re: My introduction: It's finally time to learn to play! [Re: Morodiene]
carolinagirl Offline

Thank you for the kind welcomes.

I love classical and also love Boogie Woogie. So I want to learn both. Boogie Woogie looks like it may be not as hard as it first appears since the left hand is repetitive. I have printed out a bunch of left hand patterns and will practice with some of those. I especially like Pine Top Smith's patterns.

My ultimate goal is to be able to pick up a sheet of music and be able to read it well enough to play it.

My life is really busy (I run a small farm) but I am managing to get a good bit of practice time in daily, usually broken up into smaller segments (at least 15 minutes at a time, several times a day).

Edited by carolinagirl (05/01/13 10:18 AM)

#2074934 - 05/01/13 10:47 AM Re: My introduction: It's finally time to learn to play! [Re: carolinagirl]
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bulgaria
Sounds like you have a full life already. Having a farm and working on your own land seems like a very good thing to me, an almost romantic idea comes to mind but I know it's not exactly rainbows and butterflies but still it must be cool to have your own farm and produce your own food. I eat mostly junk these days.

Enjoy your new piano and welcome to Pianoworld!

Recitals:

#2074937 - 05/01/13 10:50 AM Re: My introduction: It's finally time to learn to play! [Re: carolinagirl]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Welcome to the PW forums carolinagirl and remember, "it's never too late to have a happy childhood".

Quote:
Boogie Woogie looks like it may be not as hard as it first appears since the left hand is repetitive.

True but it takes years to play it like this grin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9b3ZZywQvg .

Sometime Google up Matthew Ball and Sylvan Zingg both.

Edited by Ragdoll (05/01/13 10:52 AM)

Just be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

#2074939 - 05/01/13 10:51 AM Re: My introduction: It's finally time to learn to play! [Re: carolinagirl]
ElleC Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Welcome to PW Cindy! it's never too late to learn. Will be waiting to hear your first recording on the piano bar and/or recital.

#2074944 - 05/01/13 10:59 AM Re: My introduction: It's finally time to learn to play! [Re: carolinagirl]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: carolinagirl
My ultimate goal is to be able to pick up a sheet of music and be able to read it well enough to play it.

For all of us! wink

Of course, there are sheets of music and there are sheets of music. But if it's a goal to be a reasonable sight reader, for whichever level of difficulty you might want to play, work on that as a specific activity. You'll find a ton of threads on this forum about sight reading so browse / search and you'll find something.

And good luck with the boogy-woogy; I have often wondered how hard it could possibly be ... and then found out wink

Kawai K3

#2074946 - 05/01/13 11:03 AM Re: My introduction: It's finally time to learn to play! [Re: carolinagirl]
carolinagirl Offline

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the kind words. Living in the country has always been a dream, even though I was raised as a city girl. But hubby and I bought land when we were first married and now have 25 acres. We are trying to become more self-sufficient. we raise meat and egg chickens, sheep, have a couple of cows and goats. We plant a huge veggie garden and can, freeze or dehydrate our crops. My adult children and their families live on the property as well, so this is as close to heaven as I can get on earth. I love it here.

I know that piano is something that I will be learning forever and it will take a long time to get good enough to play Boogie Woogie at a nice fast pace but in the mean time I'll practice like crazy on pieces that are more managable.

#2075101 - 05/01/13 03:55 PM Re: My introduction: It's finally time to learn to play! [Re: carolinagirl]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Glad to hear that you have picked up playing again and hope you will enjoy the new Clavinova.

Everything you want to do at the piano is possible with practice!

#2075170 - 05/01/13 05:38 PM Re: My introduction: It's finally time to learn to play! [Re: pv88]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Welcome, carolinagirl.........you can throw away that bucket list. Piano is all you will ever need.

#2075195 - 05/01/13 06:13 PM Re: My introduction: It's finally time to learn to play! [Re: carolinagirl]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
You (and your teacher) might want to look at:

"Improvising Blues Piano" -- Tim Richards

There's some boogie-woogie in it. The presentation is very well thought-out. It's for "intermediate" pianists, but that doesn't mean you can't bang your head (and fingers) against it.

Quote:

And good luck with the boogy-woogy; I have often wondered how hard it could possibly be ... and then found out

I think that experience is universal.<g>

Have fun --
. Charles

#2075295 - 05/01/13 09:58 PM Re: My introduction: It's finally time to learn to play! [Re: carolinagirl]
stumbler Offline

Loc: Toronto
Welcome carolinagirl. Good luck on the boogie woogie.

#2075358 - 05/01/13 11:32 PM Re: My introduction: It's finally time to learn to play! [Re: carolinagirl]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Having the piano around during the day is a real advantage. I envy you. Sounds like you've found an approach that works in breaking up practice time. Keep it up, and welcome.

#2075602 - 05/02/13 03:02 AM Re: My introduction: It's finally time to learn to play! [Re: carolinagirl]
UK Paul UK Offline

Loc: Berkshire, England
Hi, sounds like you have a little slice of heaven to live in. Hope you have a good journey with your clavinova :-)

#2075613 - 05/02/13 03:17 AM Re: My introduction: It's finally time to learn to play! [Re: carolinagirl]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
Welcome Cindy! I'm also a farmer, although just an amateur - I have an olive grove.
Have fun with your piano!

#2075663 - 05/02/13 07:09 AM Re: My introduction: It's finally time to learn to play! [Re: sinophilia]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: sinophilia
Welcome Cindy! I'm also a farmer, although just an amateur - I have an olive grove.
Have fun with your piano!

Me too...but I only have a potted tomato plant. Starting small! smile
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2075679 - 05/02/13 07:40 AM Re: My introduction: It's finally time to learn to play! [Re: Morodiene]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: Morodiene

Me too...but I only have a potted tomato plant. Starting small! smile

A little something is better than nothing!
But be careful, it's as addictive as piano wink

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
baldwin 2nd hand
by johan d
7 minutes 18 seconds ago
a steinway rebuilt and a mason hamlin rebuilt
by koap
23 minutes 50 seconds ago
Chopin …tude No 12 in C minor, Op 10 'Revolutionary'
by Maximillyan
26 minutes 5 seconds ago
Sustaining vs Dead On Unison
by Mark Cerisano, RPT
Today at 08:48 AM
Short tests of numerous digital & acoustic pianos
by WaterDweller
Today at 07:10 AM
Who's Online
121 registered (aesop, amt976, Alexander Borro, Allard, 39 invisible), 1390 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76399 Members
42 Forums
157948 Topics
2319551 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission